ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 62

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you ever hear of DeSales University before this guy was arrested?

As for rankings, U.S. News ranks DeSales at "#285 out of 443 national universities"...

Money puts DeSales at #421 out of 623 colleges ranked by "Value"...

Clearly nothing to write home about

And speaking of Ms. Bolger, not sure what to make of this quote...

... “I’m shocked as s— at what he’s been accused of. I don’t believe it, but I get it,” Bolger said. “This news is upsetting. I haven’t slept at all since hearing about Bryan.” ...

So, she doesn't believe it (wonder if that's still true), but she 'gets it'.

I have. Is it possible that his family is Catholic? It's a private Catholic-based school. Maybe he wanted to study under the famed criminal psychologist K. Ramsland, or graduate with a smaller DTI ratio.

His teacher had him for online classes, no close connection. He made good grades and seemed intelligent. I'd also be shocked and in disbelief, but if they came from across the country to get him, I'd "get" it.

“He seemed normal to me, but then again, I only knew him from teaching him online. I didn’t know anything personal about him. I believe he worked full time like most of our graduate students do,” she added.

They don't have to prove he owned it.

It's his dna. How'd it get there?

He has to explain (or have evidence of) his "previously touched" story. And hope a jury buys it.
The thing is BKs DNA was found on an item BK owned (presuming the sheath is BKs). If BKs DNA had been found elsewhere within the home on say, bedding/towels/victims clothing etc, much harder to explain how the DNA got there.

It could be argued that the knife sheath was planted or had been left behind from a previous visit. If the item found at the scene had been something erroneous like a vape or a lighter then I could see arguing the point but at the end of the day... I think BK is guilty.

Whether all 12 jury members will agree with each other, I am not so sure.

Yes they will do exactly that
IMO this is absurd and would never happen. Blaming open windows does nothing to prove innocence of the defendant. It also is not even close to an argument for quadrupole murder. What would they prove by questioning “well why didn’t you close your blinds?” Especially considering the media attention, attacking and blaming the survivors would not be favorable with the jury, let alone the world.

Definitely not. Any disclosure of someone’s PHI - including attending an appointment - ESPECIALLY to a reporter!!!! Violates HIPAA privacy laws and is a HIPAA violation. And the receptionist knew that which is why she didn’t disclose her information.
Precisely, and if (and IMO when/if not already) LE investigate and determine that this appointment took place just days after the murders...during trial there would be a reasonable chance that the physician who attended BK that day, and perhaps also the receptionist who interacted with him, (called him to apppointment, gave him his form to fill out or whatever) would be called as witnesses for either prosecution, defense (perhaps both?). At that point, if it arrives, the receptionist may not be able to maintain their anonymity. IMO

Last edited:
Definitely not. Any disclosure of someone’s PHI - including attending an appointment - ESPECIALLY to a reporter!!!! Violates HIPAA privacy laws and is a HIPAA violation. And the receptionist knew that which is why she didn’t disclose her information.
BCK should file a HIPAA violation lawsuit and use the money he collects (they are insured for these mistakes) to pay for his defense. Talking to a reporter is about the worst thing a person can do. MOO

It’s hard for me to reconcile this with the vehicle sightings. At 3:29am, the Elantra makes 3 passes of the residence and drives away. The actual location is not detailed and the driveway entrance appears to be on Queen rather than King, so I don’t know if this means the car traveled up and down King multiple times, up and down Queen multiple times or a combination of the two.

At 4:04am, vehicle is seen again and a bit more detail is provided. Driver takes King to Queen, turns onto Queen, drives past the 1122 driveway on Queen and turns back around a bit farther up at 500 Queen. Hesitates when passing the driveway on way back down, described as a failed attempt to turn or park. Perhaps overshot it and braked and that is where the skid marks appeared? Just speculating. Another possibility could be an observation of another active vehicle in the parking area (DoorDash) so aborting approach to avoid contact. Driver continues back down to intersection of King/Queen, turns around yet again and presumably either parks somewhere on Queen or directly in the 1122 parking area. Info either unknown or excluded from PCA.

All of the above reads to me as a driver being lost and bumbling around trying to find a location, perhaps due to the entrance being on Queen rather than King or lack of illumination or something related to the driver such as poor night vision or poor driving and parking skills. However, unexpected DoorDash delivery sighting might explain the excessive driving/turning during the 4:04am approach.

Overall, the driving part does not strike me as having a grasp of the location, though it is possible one could research the interior layout of a house online without getting a grasp of the surrounding streets well enough to navigate in the dark. I can also imagine a scenario in which the first approach at 3:29am was aborted due to a perception of too much activity still happening in the house (too many lights, sounds emanating, etc.).

As always, JMO.
IMO, what kind of vehicle was driven by the door dash driver?

So you're saying if the victims left doors unsecured that will not help the defendant in this case.

If I got this wrong let me know.
There is still unlawful entry. I am in Canada though, IDK the laws in Idaho. IIRC burglary doesn't have to involve theft in ID and I believe unlawful entry is included under the term burglary in this case?

So if I call out a name in the waiting room, Am I violating the law?
Good lord. No. Because in that instance you are talking directly to the patient. You aren’t disclosing information to third party sources. Which is what hipaa laws protect from and the entire reason for HIPAA laws. Disclosing PHI to a reporter in a high profile quadruple potential death penalty case is obviously not the same thing.

The thing is BKs DNA was found on an item BK owned (presuming the sheath is BKs). If BKs DNA had been found elsewhere within the home on say, bedding/towels/victims clothing etc, much harder to explain how the DNA got there.

It could be argued that the knife sheath was planted or had been left behind from a previous visit. If the item found at the scene had been something erroneous like a vape or a lighter then I could see arguing the point but at the end of the day... I think BK is guilty.

So regarding the evidence. It is it possible that LE has more DNA from the murder site? Do they have to disclose all the evidence they have in the affidavit? Plus the shoe print certainly adds to the evidence. I feel that LE has more. MOO

I mentioned earlier that DNA is literally sucked up by leather and is less likely to be retained by metal. So... how come BCK's DNA is on the metal but not on the leather where it would be much more difficult to remove. This question may be answered but we don't know it. MOO

There is still unlawful entry. I am in Canada though, IDK the laws in Idaho. IIRC burglary doesn't have to involve theft in ID and I believe unlawful entry is included under the term burglary in this case?
Do you think that unsecured doors will help the defendant in this murder case?

The affidavit says they used trash from his father's house which is familial DNA. Last page.

"OnDecember27,2022, Pennsylvania Agents recovered the trash from the Kohberger family residence located in Albrightsville ,PA.That evidence was sent to the Idaho State Lab for testing.On December 28,2022,the Idaho State Lab reported that a DNA profile obtained from
the trash andthe DNA profile obtained from the sheath,identified a male as not being excluded as the biological father ofSuspect Profile.At least 99.9998% ofthe male population would be expected to be excluded from the possibility of being the suspect's biological father."

Familial DNA is not the same technique as used in Genetic Genealogy. It was a simple Paternity Test. It just tests if two different blobs of stuff match "enough" to be a parent/child relative. (Not going to get into anything deeper than that.)

Last edited:
IMO this is absurd and would never happen. Blaming open windows does nothing to prove innocence of the defendant. It also is not even close to an argument for quadrupole murder. What would they prove by questioning “well why didn’t you close your blinds?” Especially considering the media attention, attacking and blaming the survivors would not be favorable with the jury, let alone the world.
Of course! To think otherwise would be to say that a woman who dresses in a certain way is fair game for any passing rapist. They could have left their doors and windows wide open 24 hours a day, and it wouldn't have excused him for what he did.

Regarding Kohberger’s case, it remains unclear how much DNA evidence is involved. “One of the challenges is that DNA can tell us nothing about how it got on something. Nothing about how long it’s been there,” Hampikian said. “So we don’t know if it’s from an original owner, from the current owner, the past owner, or someone deceased. “When it’s on an object, DNA can’t tell us that. That’s for the triers of fact, the jury, to put together in their own head.”

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article271003142.html#storylink=cpy

You can track a conversation by pressing the arrow which will bring you to the post I was replying and you can track that comment back to the one that preceded that.
Basically playing devils advocate on possible defense he might put forward for the sheath with his dNA being present
The first thing he might attempt to do is disown it.
Touched it somewhere but never owned it etc..

I did track the conversation back.

So regarding the evidence. It is it possible that LE has more DNA from the murder site? Do they have to disclose all the evidence they have in the affidavit? Plus the shoe print certainly adds to the evidence. I feel that LE has more. MOO
It's entirely possible LE have other DNA. AFAIK LE dont have to include everything they've collected at the time of the affidavit. It's also very possible they have retrieved DNA/other evidence since their first go-round and are probably nowhere near completing all tests.

I am curious as to what other evidence LE has and how deep/far back they will go into BK history. I feel that his digital footprints will be telling. JMO.

I mentioned earlier that DNA is literally sucked up by leather and is less likely to be retained by metal. So... how come BCK's DNA is on the metal but not on the leather where it would be much more difficult to remove. This question may be answered but we don't know it. MOO
That knife has a leather handle/grip; it would be interesting to see if it does or doesn't contain BK's DNA. Presuming it is ever located...

Regarding Kohberger’s case, it remains unclear how much DNA evidence is involved. “One of the challenges is that DNA can tell us nothing about how it got on something. Nothing about how long it’s been there,” Hampikian said. “So we don’t know if it’s from an original owner, from the current owner, the past owner, or someone deceased. “When it’s on an object, DNA can’t tell us that. That’s for the triers of fact, the jury, to put together in their own head.”

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article271003142.html#storylink=cpy
Good post. And that's why the State has to put together all of the circumstantial evidence they can find that supports their case against the defendant.

The DNA is powerful evidence but by itself it's not enough. JMO.

BCK should file a HIPAA violation lawsuit and use the money he collects (they are insured for these mistakes) to pay for his defense. Talking to a reporter is about the worst thing a person can do. MOO
Im picking up on your sarcasm. My feelings about this stems from the media. The digging, this case is so sensationalized and I would hate for a Casey Anthony sequel where the media puts everyone including the prosecution in a trance that this is open shut and a monster walks. Im just saying, HIPAA laws are real and tangible. The article even quotes the source saying she wants to be anonymous because she might be violating HIPAA laws. Do I care about this man’s privacy rights if he is a murderer absolutely not but I don’t want stupid errors that could result in evidence being thrown out later because of this. Let’s say he did go to an appointment to treat cuts on his arm? The prosecution could obtain a legal right to that information but with someone leaking info that is legally bound by privacy laws before the trial even starts, any potential evidence pertinent at that appointment could be thrown out as a result.

Yes. I have read or heard they had multiple vids of that car being close to the house, date & times, etc. It stuck out because of the missing front plate. That narrowed things down considerably. (In regards to coming up with a viable suspect to further investigate.) JMO.
…and instead of driving home and replacing the front plate (which is what a well-informed and properly read/educated criminal Justice studied perp would do), BK does nothing. So many mistakes.

For someone who considers himself to be intellectually advanced…he seems quite the opposite. Thank the Universe for SMALL miracles. Just goes to show, there is no such thing as a perfect crime. Only an imperfectly processed crime scene (in most all cases where there is no suspect). It would be impossible to not leave ANY trace during such a rampage and rage-fueled quad killing. JMOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennifercockle