ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 64

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's actually a faster notification time than my family got when someone was killed in a wreck. It took less than 5 hours LE to notify the family, despite there being 4 victim next of kin to determine and notify. For my family, it look nearly 7 hours, and we'd already figured it out on our then--it was nobody's fault--it's just part of the inherent chaos of the aftermath. It's unfortunate they learned about it from relatives first, but that doesn't mean LE was not doing their job. MOO
Sorry that happened, how awful for you.
To clarify, I didn't say that LE was not doing their job, what I said was, "To learn about this through family, and not LE, must have been especially difficult.".

Correct, the defense can basically call whomever they want. The only person that cannot be called to testify is the defendant. Maybe a judge can stop something that is completely unwarranted from happening (like if the defense called a victim's family member to testify) but I can't imagine any judge blocking someone who provided LE with a statement directly related to the timeline of events.

The defense can call the defendant, if it wants to and he agrees.

Some of us believe this might well happen. It all depends on BK and I don't think we can predict his behavior or what he'll insist on doing.

Sorry that happened, how awful for you.
I didn't say that LE was not doing their job, what I said was, "To learn about this through family, and not LE, must have been especially difficult.".
I was responding more to this sentence: "I now understand even more where SG was coming from." I am sure that was one of his many grievances against LE, but as I said, it's understandably painful but not necessarily a sign of police incompetence, which he regularly bashed the local police for and accused them of before the arrest. MOO

If I misunderstood your intent, I apologize.

Exactly! In my family's case, I suspect part of the delay was the most pertinent next of kin was also in the wreck and was unconscious in a hospital, leaving people scrambling to determine who would be notified next.

In any event, my family has never blamed LE for that, and I can't even imagine how much more complicated it was to find the next of kin information for 4 people at one time. MOO
I never had to experience the sad situation that you did, I'm sorry for you.

Imagine LE encountering 4 dead bloody bodies in a house near campus. From what we've heard from SG, from what he said he was told, one or more victims were more destroyed or slashed/stabbed, and that on the second floor a"hell of a battle occurred". Who was who?

In Sandy Hook, iirc, the 1st graders were left where the had fallen, after the massacre, iirc through the next day.

Imo

I could not help but notice the “Us”.
What is different, I went to school with small Pell Grants, worked every evening and also on weekends to pay as I went.
I graduated with MS and 10K in student loans.

What is different? Tuition at Texas State is $5K for 15 hours today.

I earned about $20K per year teaching labs as a grad student late 1980’s.
I also lived and worked at a boarding school- this paid for room and board.
I road a shuttle bus to campus, had no car some semesters.
If earned the same amount I earned in the 1980’s I could still pay for school.

What is different?
Who was funding his schooling? Was he on some scholarship, parents paying, or loans?

JMO

I'm not sure we know for sure, but DeSales is well known for financial aid in the form of loans. I'll add that nearly all my students take out loans (and use the spending money side of the equation to make car payments or buy things, as nearly all my students still live in the parental home).

Some of them earn a BA but have well over $50,000 in debt.

We don't even know if he took out loans at WSU, where he had at least a 10% reduction in out-of-state tuition because he was a T.A. He still had to pay living expenses, and being a TA has never paid much, as you say.

Does anyone know of BK ever having a job other than security guard just after high school?

He had been her regular and client since July. They actually played a voicemail of the first time of him calling her to set up an appointment. She didn’t really say much, just that she almost fell to the floor when she saw he had been arrested. That she felt bad for making him feel good about himself and how he looked.
So now we know that BK was in Pullman since July.

Interesting that they still had a voicemail of BK calling for a haircut appointment in July.

Is there evidence LE didn't immediately ask for Ring, CCTV etc. footage from neighboring houses? I would be surprised if they didn't.
Not that it matters, but it was Kaylee's sister who found the food truck video and the neighbor's ring camera video showing the time the two girls arrive home in a 'uber' car.

Talking to himself seems to me his coping mechanism in traumatic situation.

By the way - if the posts about VSS and other symptoms are really his...
Does it mean that he was/is suffering from untreated mental illness?? o_O

It's a neurological disorder. Like all illnesses, it can be accompanied by mental symptoms.

He was in treatment throughout the period of the Tapatalk posts, though. So he's not untreated. He was functioning at what appeared to be a high level (getting various college degrees, attending school, driving cross-country, getting into and attending grad school, and he was properly dressed, capable of going to the DMV, etc). He might not have been well-liked by others and was a PITA to his students, but he does have a neurological disorder. VSS is thought to be related to abnormal nerve "wiring" in the occipital region (the visual cortices). It is often accompanied by anxiety and depression, because it is unpleasant and uncomfortable and apparently many sufferers find it difficult to cope (it's often accompanied by some auditory disturbances as well).

I'm very curious about the WiFi. It's not in the PCA. There's a gag order. I don't believe LE would have told Kaylee's dad.

Unless SG or someone he knew owned the router, I don't know how he would have access to that info...
Did he obtain the data from the landlord or would LE lock that down right away?
I was curious about it as well, because a phone physically has to connect to WiFi and most phones don't connect automatically, nor can they if they WiFi is password protected anyway.

I'm not techy enough to know if that's something that's logged if a phone's presence was merely picked up in range, but not actually connected. Or even if it was connected. Is that stored in perpetuity somewhere in some kind of metadata or something?

Something I just thought of while watching 20/20… why didn’t LE look at video surveillance from neighboring residences immediately?
It looks like they didn’t look at it until after they received the call from the mobile gas station attendant, who had gone through her video and seen a white Hyundai speeding by. But this was weeks later. Just seems odd that they wouldn’t have looked at the cameras surrounding the house much sooner.

They did canvas the neighborhood and gained information from cameras in the area of the home.

Not that it matters, but it was Kaylee's sister who found the food truck video and the neighbor's ring camera video showing the time the two girls arrive home in a 'uber' car.

Spot on and it matters greatly, in the face of murder. Kaylee's family (no doubt) immediately began their own investigation... love always wins, and their desire to immediately begin gathering information, was equally as strong as Chief James Fry (hero) The families are to be commended for not letting the shock, disable the desire to know justice. JMO MOO

I know you're right about this -- but this process bothers me. All the games--playing one's cards close to one's chest--not releasing information too early.

To me, and this is purely MOO, the truth is the truth, and there should be no games.

To me, this is a game of "gotcha," and I think that's a sad development in our judicial system.

LE has its games.
The prosecution has its games.
The defense has its games.

And now, even the media has games.

They all talk about their "strategies," but finding justice isn't about strategy--it's about truth, honesty, and the facts.

I understand where LE would not want to release all their information during an investigation so they could reduce copycat crimes or keep from alerting the perp so he ran. But that's not the situation now. Lay your cards on the table and let the truth rule the day.

If Kohberger has a real defense (I doubt he does), he deserves the chance to use it to his fullest. History tells us that many inmates have been unfairly convicted and some even put to death. Yet, we still play games...

I don't see it as game-playing at all.

In the beginning of a case, LE/prosecution holds all the cards. Every defendant has the right to know what is being put up against them, which you seem to think is a game. It's not, to me.

Eventually, every piece of evidence that LE wants to use at trial must be given to the defense. In theory, the defendant is entitled to all the evidence, but that does not include the conversations among lawyers or prosecutorial strategy. The defense has to come up with its own strategy, which is also not a game. A person's life is in the balance.

So, at every juncture, the prosecution must give over evidence, which is still incoming and will likely always be incoming, even if merely a trickle - all the way through trial.

DA's and LE are human, so they cannot be expected to provide every scrap of evidence at the same time. They organize it, label it, and then they give it over to the defense. There will be many in chambers (with the Judge) discussions about whether the evidence of each side can be used in court. This is also not a game.

Do you know of a system of Justice that doesn't do this? The ones I know that avoid this trial process, which is more or less balanced and put on a level playing field with both sides using and accessing the evidence, are not so great.

It's a neurological disorder. Like all illnesses, it can be accompanied by mental symptoms.

He was in treatment throughout the period of the Tapatalk posts, though. So he's not untreated. He was functioning at what appeared to be a high level (getting various college degrees, attending school, driving cross-country, getting into and attending grad school, and he was properly dressed, capable of going to the DMV, etc). He might not have been well-liked by others and was a PITA to his students, but he does have a neurological disorder. VSS is thought to be related to abnormal nerve "wiring" in the occipital region (the visual cortices). It is often accompanied by anxiety and depression, because it is unpleasant and uncomfortable and apparently many sufferers find it difficult to cope (it's often accompanied by some auditory disturbances as well).
I see.
Well, I meant this "derealisation" /lack of emotions, feeling like a misfit/"a sack of meat", suicidal thoughts, etc, etc.

Hmmm...
It all sounds very worrying.

Provided, of course, that he was the poster.

JMO

Exactly! In my family's case, I suspect part of the delay was the most pertinent next of kin was also in the wreck and was unconscious in a hospital, leaving people scrambling to determine who would be notified next.

In any event, my family has never blamed LE for that, and I can't even imagine how much more complicated it was to find the next of kin information for 4 people at one time. MOO
Sorry that you have misunderstood my comment .... I did not blame LE, I was being sympathetic to the family when I stated it was difficult for them to find out about Kaylee thru family. You have taken my comment out of context, as I explained earlier. Maybe we can take a breath and move on?

I was curious about it as well, because a phone physically has to connect to WiFi and most phones don't connect automatically, nor can they if they WiFi is password protected anyway.

I'm not techy enough to know if that's something that's logged if a phone's presence was merely picked up in range, but not actually connected. Or even if it was connected. Is that stored in perpetuity somewhere in some kind of metadata or something?
Someone on WS stated they have a router log (their router was secure and not open) and one time it picked up a phone at their door. It turned out to be a teenage friend of one of their kids. A younger teen would more likely have a setting to automatically log in to any available WiFi, whereas most adults would find it pretty annoying.

Either way, SG would need to have access to the router log OR law enforcement told him.

If SG had access to the router log, then once BK was identified, he could easily look up his phone number..additionally part of BK's phone number is in the PCA. But I don't know if WiFi router pings use device ID or phone numbers? Who knows?

Edited: Kaylee's dad initials were incorrect. Fixed them.

Last edited:

I would like to have that backed by medical professionals. He does seem bright enough to use the internet for entertainment.

They did canvas the neighborhood and gained information from cameras in the area of the home.
Right, but on 20/20 someone stated after the gas station footage was found they looked again at apartment footage and then found Hyundai in the area at the timeframe of murders. Just seemed odd.

Yes, and remember very early on Chief Fry said the 2 survivors were not suspects, but could, in fact, may be the key in solving the case.

MOO

I agree with Chief Fry. The entire portion of this case that will rivet the jury at trial has not been presented and likely won't be, until trial.

A good DA will open with the terrible and horrific facts of this case. We at WS can imagine those facts based on what we already know, but nothing compares to hearing the 911 call, listening to two young women recount how they found the bodies, and most importantly, the pictures of the bodies and crime scene itself. It will be horrific. It will bind the jury together in their horror and shock. It's unlikely that any news media will be allowed to use or obtain those photos, so the public will be spared. The judge could even stipulate that the pictures are to be passed around, not put up on a screen, although I believe the people present in court will see some pictures of blood, blood spatter, pools of blood, bloody footprints (fading away as the killer avoids the pools of blood and walks out of the house). A cold, rational-minded killer who does what he can to avoid leaving evidence.

Those two young women will be able to tell that story better than anyone else, and all doubt about which phone calls they made and when, and how they handled themselves will disappear as everyone realizes that they are very young and were in a terrible state of shock.

I believe the friends (who were NOT neighbors as some here keep typing) will end up testifying, at least one of them will. Because it is one of the friends who gets the door to Xana's room open IMO (sounds like her body may have been blocking the door to some degree, which could mean she survived longer than the others - another detail that will grab and horrify the jury). JMO.

I love your user name.

Amanda Knox had DNA on the handle of the knife, and the victim’s DNA was found on the blade and it was found to be transfer DNA from the investigation itself. Nothing is airtight. It’s always good to keep the questions flowing.

That’s a different situation, because AK and the victim were part of the same household.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member