ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 67

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d be curious to know the date on that receipt for Dickies.

IF he bought dark clothing fairly recently, and
IF it is nowhere to be found, now,

then there’s another piece of circumstantial evidence added to the pile.
Yes, indeed. Presumably, they found neither the Dickie's onesie OR the Vans.

But there appears to be good evidence that he purchased a dark piece of clothing suitable for transporting a knife in a leg pocket, and that it is no longer at his house (was it at his parents' house? I seriously doubt it).

It's a weak bit of evidence by itself, but in context, it's important.

The testing will take some time. Hopefully, we'll get some answers relatively soon.

JMVHO.

It’s interesting that they didn’t find anything at his office, which he shared with two other students.

Does this mean that he just doesn’t have nosebleeds in the daytime, that he cleans more conscientiously in an environment with other people, OR that if he were spattered with blood from a murder, he’d head back to a place where he could expect privacy.

The possible animal hairs (From Kaylee's dog ?) would also be very incriminating.
M00.
Maybe. As I understand it and IMO. Animal hair can be any animal. Testing can tell them what animal and if a dog, what breed. If it is dog hair, and it is Murphy's breed, Nuclear dna testing can tell an individual dog. JMO

edit: added third link for dog hairs - all the way at the bottom

Last edited:
Mod Note for clarification:

The NYTimes is an approved source. The quoted post below explains what is or is not allowed when discussing articles behind a paywall. Keep in mind that THERE ARE NO CIRCUMSTANCES UNDER WHICH YOU ARE ALLOWED TO CIRCUMVENT A PAYWALL IN AN EFFORT TO BRING THE ARTICLE'S CONTENT TO THE THREADS.

Luckily for us, Mike Baker/ NYTimes is providing this article as a freebie today.

Thanks for posting this! I’m curious if his student apartment has wall to wall carpet or tile flooring?

If there’s wall to wall carpet, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the possible animal hair and human hair came from previous tenants? It’s very hard to clean carpets in between tenants, IMO. As far as the reddish brown stains, would love to know if they are little dots or much larger. Student housing is not the cleanest!

I guess we won’t hear anything more until the trial? (barring leaks of course)

So, his idea was likely to wear the Dickie coverall over regular clothing. Since I believe he tried to minimize blood spatter, it would be possible for him to drive out of the area and not look particularly blood-stained.

Presuming he put on his killing costume at home (which is not known), then he ought to have taken that Dickie coverall off before getting back in his own car, in his hurried timeline.

He ought to have brought something to put those coveralls in and something to put the black nitrile gloves in (kudos to those of you who guessed he'd have nitrile gloves). Maybe something to put his shoes and socks in. But surely he didn't do this standing out by his car? Doesn't seem he did it in the house.

It's possible he got spooked and got into the car with the kill costume still on his person, in which case I'm optimistic about victim blood remnants being found in the car.

He really would have been better off sinking the Elantra into a nearby lake and claiming it "got away from him" while he was launching a rubber raft or while he was fishing. Naturally, this would require some skill and knowledge about local geography.

Thanks for posting this! I’m curious if his student apartment has wall to wall carpet or tile flooring?

If there’s wall to wall carpet, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the possible animal hair and human hair came from previous tenants? It’s very hard to clean carpets in between tenants, IMO. As far as the reddish brown stains, would love to know if they are little dots or much larger. Student housing is not the cleanest!

I think student housing would have done a thorough vacuuming before re-letting the place, personally. I wish we knew if those hairs were just lying around or whether they came up with a vacuum. No pets are supposed to be there and the fact they only found 1 animal hair is hopeful. I hope it's Murphy's.

It’s interesting that they didn’t find anything at his office, which he shared with two other students.

Does this mean that he just doesn’t have nosebleeds in the daytime, that he cleans more conscientiously in an environment with other people, OR that if he were spattered with blood from a murder, he’d head back to a place where he could expect privacy.
Has there been a released search warrant for his office? I missed seeing one if there is. I do recall photos of the WSU police at his office ( office searched ) but have seen nothing that says what, if anything, was found and/or removed.

jmo

I believe there are other warrants set to be unsealed on March 1, but I could be wrong and that could obviously change.

Bryan seems like a disorganized, incompetent dolt who masquerades as a successful academic. It is almost inconceivable that he would fail to understand the basics of modern forensics. Either he has been framed, he was acting under the influence of drugs or he was in an extreme mental state of psychosis. Will an IQ test be conducted?

AFAIK it was a latent footprint, and not a bloody footprint?

I read the affidavit, and have been reading these threads (or rather, trying to keep up!).
Something that still isn't clear to me is what happened the next morning and who came to the house first? The reason I am asking is about the Van's like shoe print.
If nobody but LE came in to the house that morning, the bloody shoe print should be the killer's. If other people came in before LE then it would be a lot less useful.

While I agree that the evidence, like animal hair, could be from previous owners or other sources, the fact that they found 1 animal hair strand is curious. Maybe it was the location this hair was found that made it important. Only after things are tested will they know.

Just like the cell phone evidence showing him in the King Rd area a dozen times before, all of these details by themselves could mean anything, but collectively start to paint a very specific picture. JMO.

I’d be curious to know the date on that receipt for Dickies.

IF he bought dark clothing fairly recently, and
IF it is nowhere to be found, now,

then there’s another piece of circumstantial evidence added to the pile.
I actually wear this exact jump suit (I'm a mural painter) and it's very thin, breathable material. There are indeed large pockets, like 4 big ones, on the legs that could hold that knife, but unsheathed it would slice through the material very easily IMO.

Bryan seems like a disorganized, incompetent dolt who masquerades as a successful academic. It is almost inconceivable that he would fail to understand the basics of modern forensics. Either he has been framed, he was acting under the influence of drugs or he was in an extreme mental state of psychosis. Will an IQ test be conducted?
I'm not sure I would go that far yet. There is not one obvious 'smoking gun' on that list of seized items. There is a good chance nothing of evidentiary value will be located from the search of his home.

I'm more inclined to believe that he targeted the house because it was easy to access and because it has a history of quite a bit of social events so it could be assumed that collecting DNA would be complicated, based on his criminology background.
I also believe that he didn't have specific individuals targeted but was looking for maximum destruction but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the police reports associated with the area were initiated by him to ascertain what police response time is, which would give him a good idea of how long he could safely remain in the house. He seemed fairly efficient while he was in the house but he also left fairly abruptly so perhaps he timed himself?

(snipped for focus)
My guess is that response to a call for loud music will not have the alacrity of a call for an armed intruder in the house, so a called-in a noise complaint wouldn't be a good way to gauge police response time. MOO.

A shared space is the last place I would leave anything I expected to still be there when I got back, much less anything I didn't want found. MOOooo :)

So, his idea was likely to wear the Dickie coverall over regular clothing. Since I believe he tried to minimize blood spatter, it would be possible for him to drive out of the area and not look particularly blood-stained.

Presuming he put on his killing costume at home (which is not known), then he ought to have taken that Dickie coverall off before getting back in his own car, in his hurried timeline.

He ought to have brought something to put those coveralls in and something to put the black nitrile gloves in (kudos to those of you who guessed he'd have nitrile gloves). Maybe something to put his shoes and socks in. But surely he didn't do this standing out by his car? Doesn't seem he did it in the house.

It's possible he got spooked and got into the car with the kill costume still on his person, in which case I'm optimistic about victim blood remnants being found in the car.

He really would have been better off sinking the Elantra into a nearby lake and claiming it "got away from him" while he was launching a rubber raft or while he was fishing. Naturally, this would require some skill and knowledge about local geography.

I think student housing would have done a thorough vacuuming before re-letting the place, personally. I wish we knew if those hairs were just lying around or whether they came up with a vacuum. No pets are supposed to be there and the fact they only found 1 animal hair is hopeful. I hope it's Murphy's.

“I think student housing would have done a thorough vacuuming before re-letting the place, personally. I wish we knew if those hairs were just lying around or whether they came up with a vacuum. No pets are supposed to be there and the fact they only found 1 animal hair is hopeful. I hope it's Murphy's”

That’s very optimistic— I guess I’m somewhat skeptical based on past experiences. Your mileage may vary, of course. A lot depends on the quality of the staff, I guess.

It seems like a long time not to have laundered his sheet. I kind of think the blood would be from little sores -- like maybe a picked zit, or something. It's too bad they didn't find the murder weapon.
The warrant mentioned a pillow with no cover and a mattress cover with red stains, which sheets would go over, that they did not mention. JMO

“I think student housing would have done a thorough vacuuming before re-letting the place, personally. I wish we knew if those hairs were just lying around or whether they came up with a vacuum. No pets are supposed to be there and the fact they only found 1 animal hair is hopeful. I hope it's Murphy's”

That’s very optimistic— I guess I’m somewhat skeptical based on past experiences. Your mileage may vary, of course. A lot depends on the quality of the staff, I guess.

True enough. Some student housing has linoleum throughout. Steptoe appears to have laminate or linoleum in its apartments.

It's the 1 BR at about 10 seconds that relevant.

Looks like it would be easy to clean and disinfect. In times of pandemics, I would assume cleaning would get a bit higher priority. Anyway, looks a lot like grad student housing from decades ago. Spare, easy to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025