ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, just signing on for this case and have a lot of catching up to do, but wanted to mention my first thought when I saw this news was Ted Bundy, and how he broke into the nurses’ sorority house.

Skimming through, it seems LE has said this was targeted and there is no danger to the public, so not sure that theory fits, but just wanted to post my initial thoughts, fwiw.

* My first guess is that this was a sexually motivated crime, but I have no knowledge of the facts and am not caught up yet.

just my two cents. In this most recent social media age, I think LE has developed a complex love-hate relationship with the public, mostly hate i.e. "let us do our jobs, don't do it for us i.e. we know what we're doing" . And I totally understand LE's sentiment especially in high-profile murder cases. And in that context LE releases hardly NO INFORMATION and ironically that is what oftentimes fuels the endless speculations about possible suspects or motives on social media that LE complains is what hampers their investigations.

What if the person at the food truck was their Uber driver? It can be difficult to get a second Uber at that time of night, could the girls have asked their driver if he was willing to hang for a sec while they picked up food on their way home? Maybe he hangs out waiting, then they walk away and he is a little surprised since he is their ride. We see nothing after everyone leaves frame so it’s hard to tell who ultimately went where.

Moo.The danger is over from this incident.. potential danger is a fact of life. Majority of killings do have a personal reason..a roommate that doesn't like vegans...cut someone off while driving..money owed...you bump someone accidentally..it does not have to be a big or logical reason but there is usually a reason to justify the act. It was a stabbing the person has got their vengeance. Why would they continue?? Also it is a knife (or sharp object). But an active shooter..then it is dangerous for everyone..so police will lock down situation.....moo

Last edited:
Follow my quoted post above to see info about LE stopping trash collection.
Forgive me, I tried reading the journalist's tweets. The cops had to physically stop a garbage truck that had just recently emptied the victims' dumpster. The police then collected the contents, on Tuesday.

I still can't tell if all other trash in the area was collected on Monday. IMHO if the attacker threw the knife away while running from the scene, I would try to get as much trash as I could from the neighboring homes as well.

Just curious, all MOO

Might’ve been shared as this is an old tweet. But one more thing that makes it hard to reconcile “no threat”.

He also says, his office is providing guidance to the Moscow Police right now. He’s calling this a “dynamic investigation” with officers pursuing numerous leads and angles. When a suspect is found, his office will decide on charges.

@kxly4news

How much noise would there be if the gun was fired, covered up with a pillow/
If you do some searching on the internet you'll find many sites talking about the sound level of firearms. Here's a pretty good article about this.

Assuming that we are talking about handguns, based on the article above and other information I've found over the years:
  • The decibel (dB) levels for handguns is 155 - 165dB (depending on the caliber, ranging from a .25 ACP to a .357) or an average of 158 dB.
  • On average, with a suppressor, the dB is only reduced to 110-120 dB at best
  • Firing a gun with a pillow, will only reduce the dB by about 30 at best or (using the ranges above) 125-135 dB.
Below is a noise level chart.

So, a non-suppressed handgun is going to be as loud or louder than well, a gunshot, depending on the caliber.

With a suppressor, a handgun is still going to be louder than a trombone, dog barking in your ear or ice cream truck (best case) or siren or rock/pop concert (worst case).

With a pillow it is going to be louder than a siren or rock/pop concert (best case) or a jet engine from 100 yards away (worst case)

HHF-Noise-Level-Chart-01.png

Additionally, covering a semi-automatic pistol with a pillow has a pretty good probability of jamming the gun resulting in the inability to fire another round until the shooter took the time to un-jam the gun.

Not sure what effect (re: jamming) it would have with a revolver. But I would imagine with a typical revolver with a hammer, part of the pillow could get caught between the hammer and body of the gun making it difficult to fire a second, or more, round(s) until the pillow was removed. A hammerless revolver, I'm not sure about jamming at all. But, it goes back to my first point, trying to silence a gun with a pillow is nothing like you see in movies, it would be very loud.

From a recent article:
Marc Risen, the father of a student and a retired police officer, said the University of Idaho needs to beef up security.

"Telling parents there is no threat is not helpful," he said. "Hiring off duty police is a quick way to put boots and guns where they need to be; protecting students until the suspect is arrested."

100% agree with this parent.

Forgive me, I tried reading the journalist's tweets. The cops had to physically stop a garbage truck that had just recently emptied the victims' dumpster. The police then collected the contents, on Tuesday.

I still can't tell if all other trash in the area was collected on Monday. IMHO if the attacker threw the knife away while running from the scene, I would try to get as much trash as I could from the neighboring homes as well.

Just curious, all MOO
I’m sorry, I didn’t include all her tweets underneath that one. They along with replies that I cannot link are interesting. But the reporter replied that when she was there Monday the dumpster was full and overflowing.

Might’ve been shared as this is an old tweet. But one more thing that makes it hard to reconcile “no threat”.

He also says, his office is providing guidance to the Moscow Police right now. He’s calling this a “dynamic investigation” with officers pursuing numerous leads and angles. When a suspect is found, his office will decide on charges.

@kxly4news

They need a search warrant for the crime scene?

With the little info released regarding the crime scene, it seems it was bloody and chaotic as if an injured victim/s had been chased through the house. My question is how did the assailant get into the house? Did one of the girls get a late-night text and she invited them over? How did the person who found the bodies get into the house?

They need a search warrant for the crime scene?
Probably not.

But I would not be surprised if police obtain them regarding severe crimes that occurred in a private home. Homes have very high standards as to privacy and nobody would want the legality of any evidence collected being challenged in Court by a defense attorney.

Thus, search warrants in those situations could be routine so to "always be on the safe side" legally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member