ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm someone mentioned those upthread.
Yup, solid logic there. In order to kill four people outright by yourself, you'd likely need a substantial weapon.

If it's a knife, you'd think combat variety, of which K-Bar is the most well known.

This person came armed, and came armed to kill.

playing devils advocate here, what if the unconscious person was actually an unconscious person and that is the believed suspect, but I think I read here that the unconscious person was actually one of the victims?
LE has said they don’t have a suspect in custody (as of last news release at least)

Those knives are meant for this specific purpose, and are incredibly resilient. For that reason, I highly doubt it broke. It's not like something you'd find in a kitchen.
I just googled these knives and I came here to say that type of knife can do some serious damage.

Whoever this was, came prepared to kill. I don’t think this was random. There is a reason that these murders happened to these people.

Some may have been collateral damage while 1 was the primary target.

I wonder if the killer had a sheath for the knife? Could it have been unknowingly left behind in the struggle?

MOO

Moscow police appear to be searching for a “Rambo”-style knife involved in the killing of four University of Idaho students, a store manager said Wednesday. Scott Jutte, general manager of Moscow Building Supply, told the Idaho Statesman that police have visited the store more than once to ask whether the retailer sold anyone KA-BAR brand knives, which are also known as Kabar or K bar knives.

KA-BAR, of Olean, New York, manufactures military-grade blades that were originally designed for use by American troops in World War II.

Jutte said a police officer stopped by the home improvement store and lumber yard off North Main Street in Moscow to speak with him on Monday. “They were specifically asking whether or not we carry KA-BAR-style knives, which we do not,” Jutte said in an interview. “If we did, we could’ve reviewed surveillance footage. But it wasn’t something I could help them with.”

A photo of a KA-BAR brand combat-style knife in the linked news article:

77DF22D7-7577-4627-8CDF-76E4B5D69ADB.jpeg

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article268833397.html#storylink=cpy

I just googled these knives and I came here to say that type of knife can do some serious damage.

Whoever this was, came prepared to kill. I don’t think this was random. There is a reason that these murders happened to these people.

Some may have been collateral damage while 1 was the primary target.

I wonder if the killer had a sheath for the knife? Could it have been unknowingly left behind in the struggle?

MOO
Great point about the sheath. I was thinking they must have the knife to know the manufacturer, but a sheath would provide the same information.

As for my own thoughts and speculation:

• With such a narrow time of death, I have to assume that LE must have some evidence pointing to that time frame. Maybe video of someone entering and subsequently exiting the residence?

• Since it was a weekend, I would guess that the other two roommates must have been elsewhere -- maybe they lived close enough that they'd go home on the weekends, or they were staying with other friends. It is curious to me, though, that the friend who found them was not one of the other roommates who lived there.

• Stabbing is definitely a more personal murder method, and with LE statements about it being a targeted attack, I definitely think there could have been some sort of stalker/personal vendetta situation against one of the victims, and it's possible the culprit killed the others just to buy themselves extra time before the victim would be found.

• MM's social media shows her dog, Murphy, who seemed to be with her in recent photos. I wonder if the poor pup was killed as well :(

Great post — and thank you for the timeline!

I’d add to the personal nature of these murders:

The killer (I suspect a male acting alone, MOO) did this in their HOME. That’s another way to violate the victims. It also suggests familiarity (and/or extensive pre-planning) and a high level of confidence. If he had a primary target, he was willing and perhaps intending to annihilate his target’s “family.”

He didn’t try to ambush one of them outside the home or force one or more to a separate location.
The killer left a trail; he wouldn’t be able to help himself. I hope the community has answers soon.

JMO.

playing devils advocate here, what if the unconscious person was actually an unconscious person and that is the believed suspect, but I think I read here that the unconscious person was actually one of the victims?
The initial police description of the report from 911 caller of an "unconscious" person is confusing. I think the "unconscious person" was just one of the four dead victims.

Whoever first stumbled on the scene and made the initial 911 call saw a victim lying on the floor and called 911. At that point the caller didn't know if the person was unconscious or dead. The 911 operator probably relayed the information to an officer as "possible unconscious person" lying on the floor at the address. At this point in the case, no one realized they were actually dealing with four dead victims and not just an "unconscious person."

Great point about the sheath. I was thinking they must have the knife to know the manufacturer, but a sheath would provide the same information.
Thinking along those lines, IF they have the sheath, they may be able to tell if it looks like a new purchase vs say something a grandpa gave someone from 50 years ago. MOO

So what would these type of knives be used for now, since WWII? Hunting or fishing? Coolness factor? Personal protection?
All of the above. They're super popular with current and ex military, but I could see a college kid owning one. They're easier and cheaper to obtain than a gun too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper