ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was everyone in the house in a sor/frat? They were found at noon, but when were they attacked? Were the others even home when it happened? I wonder if there were events some of them would attend at that time but not the others. I think the answers are in the details in this case, which we sadly don't have very many of.
LE has said they believe 4-5am. EDIT 3-4, my bad....

That's likely because the landlord allowed it with the letter. But the laws themselves don't protect for emotional support animals. They are considered different from service animals and in my experience, many doctors won't write letters for them.
As long as you have them registered as a Emotional Support Animal, housing cannot deny them. I know this from personal experience.

Started trying to put together a TIMELINE for this one to try to separate facts from rumors/speculation, but it's been a bit of a challenge to keep up with the growing thread. (Also, I was initially thinking that Moscow, ID was in Mountain Time, so please let me know if I've done the time zone switch wrong in any of my info!) I have not watched any video yet, so there may be missing info from those (please @ me if there's specific info you think should be included!)

VICTIMS:
EC = Ethan Chapin [IG / FB], a 20-year-old from Conway, Washington [1]; freshman, member of Sigma Chi fraternity majoring in recreation, sport and tourism management in the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences. [7]; school indicates hometown was Mount Vernon, WA [9]; one of triplets that all attended UofI[36]; staying overnight with his girlfriend XK [39] INTERVIEW W PARENTS

XK = Xana Kernodle [IG / TikTok / FB], 20, from Avondale, Arizona [1]; junior from Post Falls majoring in marketing in the College of Business and Economics, member of Pi Beta Phi sorority [7]; dating EC, worked as server at Mad Greek restaurant [36]

MM = Madison Mogen [IG / TikTok / FB], a 21-year-old from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho [1]; senior majoring in marketing in the College of Business and Economics, member of the Pi Beta Phi sorority [7]; worked as server at Mad Greek restaurant [36]

KG = Kaylee Goncalves [IG / TikTok / FB], 21, from Rathdrum, Idaho [1]; senior majoring in general studies in the College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences, member of the Alpha Phi sorority [7]; middle of five children, owner of a dog named Murphy [31], was going to start a new tech job in TX in Jan [36]

TIMELINE

AUG 16

• MM posts a "meet the roommates" image on IG [12]
AUG 22
  • MM posts a "first day of school" image on IG [11]

SEP 12
  • POSSIBLY UNRELATED: man threatened students on UofI campus with a knife [35]

OCT 29
  • XK's final IG post, wishing EC a happy birthday [13]

F NOV 11
  • MM's final IG post [10]
  • KG's final texts with her sister [31]
Sa NOV 12
  • KG's final IG post w roommates [15]
  • PM - neighbors hear loud music from somewhere "in the neighborhood"; did NOT hear screaming or gunshots [33]
  • PM - neighbors report "hearing noise from the house Saturday evening but said it sounded like a party rather than an altercation." [40]

Su NOV 13 - DEATH OF VICTIMS, BODIES DISCOVERED
  • 1:33AM - 1:53AM [41] - MM & KG seen on Twitch video from Grub Truck food truck [38], where they order pasta; manager states they were "slightly intoxicated" [41]
  • 3AM-4AM - Estimated time of death [9]
  • 11:58AM [20] - LE respond to "a report of an unconscious person" (later verified to be one of the deceased [30]); according to EC's mother, bodies were found by "a friend" [32] who does not live in the house [39]; fire and EMS also on scene but did not go into residence [1]; First responders "discovered four individuals who were deceased" [20] - EC was found on floor of second level [36]; officers describe a bloody crime scene, "especially on upper floors of the house" [37]
  • 2:16 PM - UofI FB post advises students to shelter in place due to investigation of homicide on King St [3]
  • 2:51 PM - UofI FB post lifts shelter-in-place, states that LE are still investigating death of 4 people but do not believe there is an active threat [4]
  • 5:25PM - UofI FB post states that LE is still investigating, but there is no ongoing threat [5]
  • 9:17 PM - University president posts on FB about deaths, cancels class for M Nov 14, offers counseling resources [6]
  • PM - neighbors state they saw police, "group of women crying while draped in emergency blankets" [33]

M NOV 14 - DECLARED A HOMICIDE INVESTIGATION
  • online and in-person classes at University canceled [1]
  • 12:50 PM - MSM reports that 4 students found dead near campus [1]
  • 12:21 PM - UofI FB posts identities of victims [7], states "Moscow police do not believe there is an ongoing community risk based on information gathered during the preliminary investigation" [8]
  • 1:31 PM - search dogs at scene [29]
  • 1:49 PM - MSM reports that it is being treated as homicide investigation [2]
  • PM - Moscow Police Capt. Anthony Dahlinger told the Idaho Statesman Monday night that none of the deceased students are believed to be responsible for the deaths. [9], NYT reporter also states that county coroner said it was NOT a murder-suicide [17]
  • 5:56PM - Mayor refuses to confirm NYT's "crime of passion" description [21], states it is one possibility [32]
  • PM - media tries to canvas neighbors, who decline to make a comment, "most" stating that they didn't really know the victims; state that police had previously canvassed neighborhood as well [32]

Tu NOV 15 - PRELIMINARY CAUSE OF DEATH RELEASED: STABBING
no weapon found, no suspect in custody

• Moscow PD release statement - "Evidence indicates that this was a targeted attack." [16]
  • Some students, feeling unsafe, leave early for Thanksgiving break [18]
  • Coroner calls the scene "gruesome" [34]
  • DailyMail (TABLOID) posts image they claim is blood "oozing" out of residence; state that scene was "the worst [police] had ever seen; "there was blood everywhere;" "have never seen anything like this"; trash taken to garbage depot [36]

• 8:36AM - vigil postponed until after Thanksgiving [28] - cf W Nov 16
  • 11:24AM - LE press release states they are still searching for "an edged weapon such as a knife" that was used in attack [27]
  • 2:07PM - LE stop garbage truck from leaving residence, as they have not recovered weapon [26]
  • 2:40PM - bodies in Spokane County, autopsies to take place on Wed; preliminary findings show stabbing as cause of death; "a lot of blood;" no indication of substance use [25]
  • 4:25PM - confirmed that FBI is working with local LE [19]
  • 6:36PM - county prosecutor states there is a sealed warrant issued at residence; "a handful of other warrants" in the works [24]
  • 7:11PM - Families of MM & KG release statement calling for justice [23]

W NOV 16
  • AM - Video shared online of MM & KG at Grub Truck food truck [38] - cf Su NOV 13
  • Parents speak out against LE & school for "lack of information [40]
  • 3:30PM - news conference planned by ISP & Moscow PD [22]
  • 5PM - vigil planned on University's Administration Lawn [9] - postponed as of T NOV 15 [28] rescheduled to NOV 30 [34]

SOURCES:
[1] 4 University of Idaho students found dead near campus - 6ABC - Nov 14
[2] Four university students found dead near campus - MirrorUK - Nov 14
[3] UofI FB - Nov 13
[4] UofI FB - Nov 13
[5] UofI FB - Nov 13
[6] UofI FB - Nov 13
[7] UofI FB - Nov 14
[8] UofI FB - Nov 14
[9] 4 Slain University of Idaho students are victims - ElkoDaily - Nov 14
[10] MM Instagram - Nov 11
[11] MM Instagram - Aug 22
[12] MM Instagram - Aug 16
[13] XK Instagram - Oct 29
[14] EC Instagram - May 13
[15] KG Instagram - Nov 12
[16] Moscow PD - Nov 15
[17] @NickAtNews (NYT) tweet - Nov 14
[18] @NickAtNews (NYT) tweet THREAD - Nov 15
[19] @NickAtNews (NYT) tweet - Nov 15
[20] Four university of Idaho Students discovered dead - Law&Crime - Nov 15
[21] @AndrewBaertlein (KTVB) tweet - Nov 14
[22] @AndrewBaertlein (KTVB) tweet - Nov 16
[23] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet - Nov 15
[24] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet - Nov 15
[25] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet THREAD - Nov 15
[26] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet THREAD - Nov 15
[27] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet THREAD - Nov 15
[28] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet - Nov 15
[29] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet - Nov 14
[30] @dugganreports (KTVB) tweet - Nov 15
[31] Family of alleged Moscow homicide victim remembers - Nov 14
[32] Suspect sought in U of I deaths - Idaho Statesman - Nov 15
[33] Four U of I students died in senseless act of violence - LM Tribute - Nov 14
[34] Homicide investigation underway - KHQ - Nov 15
[35] Man reportedly threatened students with knife - ISJ - Sep 15
[36] Blood oozes through walls of home - DailyMail (TABLOID) - Nov 15
[37] University of Utah homicide victims - FoxNews - Nov 15
[38] @johnwebbtv (KHQ-TV) - Nov 16
[39] 4 Idaho students killed in 'targeted attack' - ABCNews - Nov 16
[40] Slain university of Idaho victims' parents frustrated - ABCNews - Nov 16
[41] Chilling video shows 2 of the 4 - DailyMail (TABLOID) - Nov 16
Super impressed with all the work you must've put into this! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

As long as you have them registered as an Emotional Support Animal, housing cannot deny them. I know this from personal experience.
This is true. I have friends who are landlords, friends who have Emotional Support Animals, and I work in clinics where our doctors write many ESA letters for patients. So I see this from all sides.

I was in a sorority and we had formals every semester. We had to sign up with our name, our date's name and both of our birthdays. Then we had to check in at the house before going to the venue.
Thanks for the info.

Hopefully that the practice of a very well kept guest list is still followed.

As for my own thoughts and speculation:

• With such a narrow time of death, I have to assume that LE must have some evidence pointing to that time frame. Maybe video of someone entering and subsequently exiting the residence?

• Since it was a weekend, I would guess that the other two roommates must have been elsewhere -- maybe they lived close enough that they'd go home on the weekends, or they were staying with other friends. It is curious to me, though, that the friend who found them was not one of the other roommates who lived there.

• Stabbing is definitely a more personal murder method, and with LE statements about it being a targeted attack, I definitely think there could have been some sort of stalker/personal vendetta situation against one of the victims, and it's possible the culprit killed the others just to buy themselves extra time before the victim would be found.

• MM's social media shows her dog, Murphy, who seemed to be with her in recent photos. I wonder if the poor pup was killed as well :(

Started trying to put together a TIMELINE for this one to try to separate facts from rumors/speculation, but it's been a bit of a challenge to keep up with the growing thread. (Also, I was initially thinking that Moscow, ID was in Mountain Time, so please let me know if I've done the time zone switch wrong in any of my info!) I have not watched any video yet, so there may be missing info from those (please @ me if there's specific info you think should be included!)

VICTIMS:
EC = Ethan Chapin [IG / FB], a 20-year-old from Conway, Washington [1]; freshman, member of Sigma Chi fraternity majoring in recreation, sport and tourism management in the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences. [7]; school indicates hometown was Mount Vernon, WA [9]; one of triplets that all attended UofI[36]; staying overnight with his girlfriend XK [39] INTERVIEW W PARENTS

XK = Xana Kernodle [IG / TikTok / FB], 20, from Avondale, Arizona [1]; junior from Post Falls majoring in marketing in the College of Business and Economics, member of Pi Beta Phi sorority [7]; dating EC, worked as server at Mad Greek restaurant [36]

MM = Madison Mogen [IG / TikTok / FB], a 21-year-old from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho [1]; senior majoring in marketing in the College of Business and Economics, member of the Pi Beta Phi sorority [7]; worked as server at Mad Greek restaurant [36]

KG = Kaylee Goncalves [IG / TikTok / FB], 21, from Rathdrum, Idaho [1]; senior majoring in general studies in the College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences, member of the Alpha Phi sorority [7]; middle of five children, owner of a dog named Murphy [31], was going to start a new tech job in TX in Jan [36]

TIMELINE

AUG 16

• MM posts a "meet the roommates" image on IG [12]
AUG 22
  • MM posts a "first day of school" image on IG [11]

SEP 12
  • POSSIBLY UNRELATED: man threatened students on UofI campus with a knife [35]

OCT 29
  • XK's final IG post, wishing EC a happy birthday [13]

F NOV 11
  • MM's final IG post [10]
  • KG's final texts with her sister [31]
Sa NOV 12
  • KG's final IG post w roommates [15]
  • PM - neighbors hear loud music from somewhere "in the neighborhood"; did NOT hear screaming or gunshots [33]
  • PM - neighbors report "hearing noise from the house Saturday evening but said it sounded like a party rather than an altercation." [40]

Su NOV 13 - DEATH OF VICTIMS, BODIES DISCOVERED
  • 1:33AM - 1:53AM [41] - MM & KG seen on Twitch video from Grub Truck food truck [38], where they order pasta; manager states they were "slightly intoxicated" [41]
  • 3AM-4AM - Estimated time of death [9]
  • 11:58AM [20] - LE respond to "a report of an unconscious person" (later verified to be one of the deceased [30]); according to EC's mother, bodies were found by "a friend" [32] who does not live in the house [39]; fire and EMS also on scene but did not go into residence [1]; First responders "discovered four individuals who were deceased" [20] - EC was found on floor of second level [36]; officers describe a bloody crime scene, "especially on upper floors of the house" [37]
  • 2:16 PM - UofI FB post advises students to shelter in place due to investigation of homicide on King St [3]
  • 2:51 PM - UofI FB post lifts shelter-in-place, states that LE are still investigating death of 4 people but do not believe there is an active threat [4]
  • 5:25PM - UofI FB post states that LE is still investigating, but there is no ongoing threat [5]
  • 9:17 PM - University president posts on FB about deaths, cancels class for M Nov 14, offers counseling resources [6]
  • PM - neighbors state they saw police, "group of women crying while draped in emergency blankets" [33]

M NOV 14 - DECLARED A HOMICIDE INVESTIGATION
  • online and in-person classes at University canceled [1]
  • 12:50 PM - MSM reports that 4 students found dead near campus [1]
  • 12:21 PM - UofI FB posts identities of victims [7], states "Moscow police do not believe there is an ongoing community risk based on information gathered during the preliminary investigation" [8]
  • 1:31 PM - search dogs at scene [29]
  • 1:49 PM - MSM reports that it is being treated as homicide investigation [2]
  • PM - Moscow Police Capt. Anthony Dahlinger told the Idaho Statesman Monday night that none of the deceased students are believed to be responsible for the deaths. [9], NYT reporter also states that county coroner said it was NOT a murder-suicide [17]
  • 5:56PM - Mayor refuses to confirm NYT's "crime of passion" description [21], states it is one possibility [32]
  • PM - media tries to canvas neighbors, who decline to make a comment, "most" stating that they didn't really know the victims; state that police had previously canvassed neighborhood as well [32]

Tu NOV 15 - PRELIMINARY CAUSE OF DEATH RELEASED: STABBING
no weapon found, no suspect in custody

• Moscow PD release statement - "Evidence indicates that this was a targeted attack." [16]
  • Some students, feeling unsafe, leave early for Thanksgiving break [18]
  • Coroner calls the scene "gruesome" [34]
  • DailyMail (TABLOID) posts image they claim is blood "oozing" out of residence; state that scene was "the worst [police] had ever seen; "there was blood everywhere;" "have never seen anything like this"; trash taken to garbage depot [36]

• 8:36AM - vigil postponed until after Thanksgiving [28] - cf W Nov 16
  • 11:24AM - LE press release states they are still searching for "an edged weapon such as a knife" that was used in attack [27]
  • 2:07PM - LE stop garbage truck from leaving residence, as they have not recovered weapon [26]
  • 2:40PM - bodies in Spokane County, autopsies to take place on Wed; preliminary findings show stabbing as cause of death; "a lot of blood;" no indication of substance use [25]
  • 4:25PM - confirmed that FBI is working with local LE [19]
  • 6:36PM - county prosecutor states there is a sealed warrant issued at residence; "a handful of other warrants" in the works [24]
  • 7:11PM - Families of MM & KG release statement calling for justice [23]

W NOV 16
  • AM - Video shared online of MM & KG at Grub Truck food truck [38] - cf Su NOV 13
  • Parents speak out against LE & school for "lack of information [40]
  • 3:30PM - news conference planned by ISP & Moscow PD [22]
  • 5PM - vigil planned on University's Administration Lawn [9] - postponed as of T NOV 15 [28] rescheduled to NOV 30 [34]

SOURCES:
[1] 4 University of Idaho students found dead near campus - 6ABC - Nov 14
[2] Four university students found dead near campus - MirrorUK - Nov 14
[3] UofI FB - Nov 13
[4] UofI FB - Nov 13
[5] UofI FB - Nov 13
[6] UofI FB - Nov 13
[7] UofI FB - Nov 14
[8] UofI FB - Nov 14
[9] 4 Slain University of Idaho students are victims - ElkoDaily - Nov 14
[10] MM Instagram - Nov 11
[11] MM Instagram - Aug 22
[12] MM Instagram - Aug 16
[13] XK Instagram - Oct 29
[14] EC Instagram - May 13
[15] KG Instagram - Nov 12
[16] Moscow PD - Nov 15
[17] @NickAtNews (NYT) tweet - Nov 14
[18] @NickAtNews (NYT) tweet THREAD - Nov 15
[19] @NickAtNews (NYT) tweet - Nov 15
[20] Four university of Idaho Students discovered dead - Law&Crime - Nov 15
[21] @AndrewBaertlein (KTVB) tweet - Nov 14
[22] @AndrewBaertlein (KTVB) tweet - Nov 16
[23] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet - Nov 15
[24] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet - Nov 15
[25] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet THREAD - Nov 15
[26] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet THREAD - Nov 15
[27] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet THREAD - Nov 15
[28] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet - Nov 15
[29] @estherbower_TV (KXLY) tweet - Nov 14
[30] @dugganreports (KTVB) tweet - Nov 15
[31] Family of alleged Moscow homicide victim remembers - Nov 14
[32] Suspect sought in U of I deaths - Idaho Statesman - Nov 15
[33] Four U of I students died in senseless act of violence - LM Tribute - Nov 14
[34] Homicide investigation underway - KHQ - Nov 15
[35] Man reportedly threatened students with knife - ISJ - Sep 15
[36] Blood oozes through walls of home - DailyMail (TABLOID) - Nov 15
[37] University of Utah homicide victims - FoxNews - Nov 15
[38] @johnwebbtv (KHQ-TV) - Nov 16
[39] 4 Idaho students killed in 'targeted attack' - ABCNews - Nov 16
[40] Slain university of Idaho victims' parents frustrated - ABCNews - Nov 16
[41] Chilling video shows 2 of the 4 - DailyMail (TABLOID) - Nov 16
WOW! And thank you!!

If there was a keypad to the house, I wonder if each girl had their own code to get in or if there was just one code to it. If there was a keypad used, and each girl had their own code, it would be telling as to who they might look at further.
Or-how often was the code changed? Since it is a rental, many may have had the code at one time or another!

ADMIN NOTE:

To clarify - videos linked/posted/discussed on WS MUST COME FROM AN APPROVED MSM or LE SOURCE. CLIPS of the video from the food truck have been published by a local news outlet, and on Gray Hughes YT channel. THE FULL VIDEO HAS NOT BEEN PUBLISHED BY ANY APPROVED SOURCE and may not be posted or discussed.
At this time, ONLY what is seen on the 2 approved clips may be brought and discussed here.

EDIT: Idaho Tribune is not MSM, not approved.

Gray Hughes clip -
where are the girls seen? (22 min is more than my bird brain can stick out lol)

Exactly and why so long between death and discovery?
Right?! Provided we're working from genuine information it doesn't make much sense. Not that murders like these make true sense but that stated TOD seems very suspect. Since the autopsies were to be performed today, I expect the presser may just give very basic details.

LE is holding this very close to the vest but at the same time, they have a community to put at ease. I'm reserving as much judgment as possible right now. Just hoping the families and communities can VERY SOON rest their heads without fear of the same fate as these poor kids.

Or-how often was the code changed? Since it is a rental, many may have had the code at one time or another!
Air B&B I stayed at, owner reprograms the code with each rental. However, I had a neighbor with let us say "a lot of issues" who told many people her garage code because she needed favors done frequently. Would be surprised if each tenant had a separate code... though that would track who was in the house.

Valuable information here. Ubered home ( so not followed on foot) Ate their food, took out dog, and locked the house. All of this probably took an hour or so, putting them in bed around 3. So killed very soon after they closed up things for the night. Makes me think whomever did this was waiting for the lights to go out, and hiding out near the house.

<modsnip - bystander discussion removed>
has anyone talked to the uber driver?

Hi all. Can anyone locally elaborate on the area around the food truck. If the timeline is accurate 12:26 am what else would be open in that immediate area at that time. Also what information is available regarding last communication. Judging by the pics of the residence these kids had cars. Doesn't make any sense that the girls would walk all that distance in the cold @ that hour. Cause of death determined to be 2 to 3 am . This thing is tightening up pretty close. Do we have an Uber driver yet? What time did he drop them off? Probably the next step. Does the sister know that they in fact made it hm. Only one more thing. Clarification on 911 call of person found unconscious. Certainly possible a friend just peeked thru the window. But LE said " Blood Everywhere"
they ubered per the sister

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member