ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 42

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think that ‘thrill kill’ has anything at all to do with distance traveled. The thrill, for them, comes from the killing. They don’t murder people every day.

Interesting point about the laws in the respective states. My first thought is that he didn’t think it through, because, ‘after all, he was so brilliant that he wasn’t going to get caught.’

MOO
Idaho has the Death Penalty as well.

Also, LE could have already been looking at that car but since this girl was going public with it, maybe LE had to get in front of it? Either way, that's when LE went public with it, they obviously needed public help finding that car.
I thought about her too, she could have easily have been on her phone talking, texting, googling.

Wish there was an award for her

If they used genealogical genetics, the odds are high the someone in his immediate family had done a commercial test. If it had been only cousins, it would have likely taken longer than seven weeks to catch him.

"I have faith in those agencies across the nation, I have faith in our officers, I have faith in the FBI, and they did a great job," Fry said. CBS news
Moi aussi . You can’t imagine how much I envy you to have the FBI. In France, we don’t have such prodigious detectives and investigations rot. It’s very sad for the families of the victims.

There's no way he didn't leave his DNA at the crime scene... unless he was wearing a hazmat suit.
Here’s an article from CNN that states what I heard on CNN last night—-they got a familial match from DNA at the scene.
“Genetic genealogy techniques were used to connect Kohberger to unidentified DNA evidence, another source with knowledge of the case tells CNN. The DNA was run through a public database to find potential family member matches, and subsequent investigative work by law enforcement led to him as the suspect, the source said.”

I saw this on the Daily Mail:

His apartment was a 21-minute drive - roughly 11 miles from the crime scene.

Isn't his birthday the 21st of November? And the address of the house 1122?

I'm likely guilty of reading too much into it, but seems like an odd coincidence.

Well, if they had him as a target, it would be pretty easy to follow him and connect him to PA. My question would be, how and when did he become the target? Thank god for the corner store girl randomly going through surveillance video! Hero!!
MOO, they got him through reverse DNA, family tree. I think that's what they were waiting on, once the foreign DNA on the victims or on the bed areas was found. It takes some time to do. I think they decided to ask about the Elantra to see what tips they got to possibly hurry the identification that way, if they could, while waiting on the DNA genealogy. Elantra was probably registered in PA so checking registrations even in the neighboring state of WA most likely wouldn't have turned it up. Only a tip of there's this guy at my school who drives a white Elantra would matter to investigators.

So I think the DNA evidence at the scene probably helped first with an ID of the family. AJMO

I don’t think that ‘thrill kill’ has anything at all to do with distance traveled. The thrill, for them, comes from the killing. They don’t murder people every day.

Interesting point about the laws in the respective states. My first thought is that he didn’t think it through, because, ‘after all, he was so brilliant that he wasn’t going to get caught.’

MOO
MOO this looks like an Incel murder. Revenge on “women.”

Possibly washed up and they found his blood in the sink pipes? Tossed something in an hvac vent?
He probably left DNA all over the crime scene. It's possible his DNA was under at least one of the victims' fingernails, and his blood may have mingled with theirs (according to a forensic expert I heard interviewed, mingled blood is not a deterrent to identifying the DNA of all those who contributed blood). I would guess the police had a DNA profile very quickly. Kudos to the much-maligned LE for solving this as quickly as they did! They used all the technology, including genealogical DNA databases, at their disposal, and the fact that BK drove a white Elantra sealed the deal. They apparently had BK in their sights for several days before they arrested him, and they tracked him as he traveled back to PA (he apparently arrived around Christmas). I hope this brings the victims' families some peace. Thank goodness this person is in custody before he hurts anyone else! I can't believe that the Moscow murders would have been his last crime. The next step will be identifying a motive. I'm sure we will be learning a lot more about this guy's psychological profile in the coming weeks, but at present all we can do is speculate about mental illness and personality disorders. Personally, I'd be surprised if he's not psychotic, but that's just my own opinion.

I feel the same way about this aunt. She's used medical-diagnosis words (fetish; OCD) to describe a perfectly ordinary behavior of not wanting to eat something cross-contaminated with something you don't eat, whether due to personal choice, ethics, religion or allergy. He probably just declined to eat their food and she turned it into him demanding that she buy new pots. He's obviously vile but this former family member seems to be reaching.
BBM. I doubt someone would made that part up. I would not be surprised at all to find that he was obsessive.

Yes you've made your point clear. How about this. It could have happened either way. IF the killer in his frenzied attacking and slaughter of 4 people cut himself, OR the victims managed to scratch, pull hair, draw blood...that DNA would have most likely been on one or more of their bodies. Genetics testing could have led back to a family in PA AND the white Hyundai Elantra could have been registered as being owned by the suspect OR one of his parents.

News Nation Ashley Banfield was talking to a local reporter in Pullman, WA at the scene of the suspects apartment building for graduate students for Washington State University. The reporter mentioned LE leaving with many things including the suspect's garbage. That will contain cooberating DNA evidence that the guy at the murder scene is the same guy living in the Pullman apartment, IMO.

My point being, four stabbing murders, where some of the victims fought back, it's likely the suspect's DNA was left behind on the victims. For as smart as this guy seems to be with all his degrees of criminal justice and psychology schooling, sounds like it was good old DNA at the crime scene that caught him. AJMO
This is why serial killers have been on the decline in the last two decades! DNA catches them early now. This guy was over the top, but many start with s*x assault and are caught early.

I feel the same way about this aunt. She's used medical-diagnosis words (fetish; OCD) to describe a perfectly ordinary behavior of not wanting to eat something cross-contaminated with something you don't eat, whether due to personal choice, ethics, religion or allergy. He probably just declined to eat their food and she turned it into him demanding that she buy new pots. He's obviously vile but this former family member seems to be reaching.

I saw nothing wrong with her interview. I’m glad she gave it. We got some character info on the guy that we otherwise wouldn’t have got if she kept silent.

And it’s reaching to infer that anything other than what the former aunt said happened.

One can only speculate at this point, but I wonder if BK started his descent into depravity while studying with Professor Ramsland, who explores the world of the serial killer from the criminal's perspective much as BK's study was designed to do. In 2016, she published her interviews with the BTK killer under the title, "Confession." She was probably working on this book while BK was her student. My view is that BK began to identify with BTK while he was studying under Ramsland. Chillingly, BTK had a personal code for his motto: “D.T.P.G.” stands for “Death to pretty girls.”

It would be easy for a young man with internal and external boundary issues to go to the dark side with this charismatic professor and not find his way back. Much of her work is fiction and fantasy, literally. Some is pseudo-science IMO, including her work on profiling. She seems to acknowledge this point in an NYT interview:

"Years before she started studying serial killers, Ramsland wrote her Ph.D. dissertation on Soren Kierkegaard, the “father” of existentialism. She sees Kierkegaard as informing her most controversial idea in 'Confession' — that some serial killers are more like the rest of us than common wisdom tells us. In the annals of serial killers, [BTK] is hardly the only one who held down a facade of normalcy while hunting his prey, but he managed it far longer than many others. There are many qualities, Ramsland writes, that ordinary people share with so-called monsters: 'overestimating our willpower, idealizing ourselves, daydreaming about power, indulging in secret behaviors that keep attracting us, deceiving others and keeping secrets.' She believes that all of us should lock our doors at night."

She also states in the interview: "Sometimes I think I may be a psychopath." Interesting woman.
Transference was hitting me too but I couldn't find a context for it.
This is how he differed from Brendt Christensen, I felt.

But we know so little.
Still.

Thanks to whoever posted daily mail link. It would be interesting to hear what criminologist Katherine R has to say about her student POI BK. Article noted his key interest was in forensic psychology, and he previously studyed under famed criminologist KR. MOO

I heard him described as bully type in hs. I read a tweet a couple months ago, that there is the male bully type in hs who lost his virginity at age 15 or 16 to some below average looking girl and now thinks he's hot *advertiser censored* lol.
the movie mean girls, called this clique 'sexually active band geeks' . BK might have been that dude lol
And there are also reports of him being bullied. All of this is rather irrelevant IMO because its a bunch of people trying to feel important by having a loose connection to him. “He had weird eyes when I went to high school with him 10 years ago, I am not surprised.”

I never understand these comments. Its typically people wanting some sort of social media recognition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonecold