ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 44

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two friends that I talked to about this case and we live nowhere near Idaho or Pennsylvania. The first one is following all the details and the second one had no idea what I was talking about.

I watch left leaning NBC news in the morning and right in the evenings (Fox). This story has been a lead story on both!

I just cannot believe that his parents knew nothing about a quadruple murder and a serial killer on the loose 9 miles from their son’s apartment. Even if they watched no news, mom was a substitute teacher, and you would think people who knew her or her family might talk about this case at work.

And dad worked in Hvac, so presumably he had coworkers also.

In fairness, if mom is a substitute teacher, her colleagues likely don't know the ins and outs and every detail of her life. They may know she has a son in grad school studying criminal justice. They may even know he's in WA. But would they know he's 9 miles away from a murder in Moscow, ID? How many people actually are familiar with the geography of where Moscow, ID is in relation to WA?

Most adults in the US have likely heard about the murder in some form or another. Very, very few are following it closely. The suspect's mom may have asked his son if he's safe and if he's taking precautions, etc, but that doesn't mean that she's following every detail of the case, especially if her son told her something to throw her off the trail, like they asked all men for their DNA and the police cleared him, for example. I doubt Mom is checking out WS or other forums to read all the details.

All just MOO.

Why is this suspicious?

That's a long drive. Possibility of adverse weather. Spending time with his son. Maybe some sightseeing along the way.
I agree. In regards to the father driving back home with his son.
Most of people I know won't do a cross country drive alone. When I was 38 years old and I moved back from another state, family members drove back with me. Many reasons to have someone drive cross country with you...

There’s so many people who don’t watch the news! When Casey Anthony was acquitted, I mentioned it to a friend. She had no idea who I was talking about. Can you imagine living a life not following news.I kind of respect that. No horrible headlines coming at you all day long.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. I have a PhD, 3 master's degrees, and a bachelor. By far the hardest was my bachelor. The PhD was by far the easiest. I think that is typical of most people I know with PhDs
My husband disagrees. He got his BS in Electrical Engineering, Masters in Statistics. He said his PhD in Environmental Science and Engineering was the toughest task he had undertaken.

There’s so many people who don’t watch the news! When Casey Anthony was acquitted, I mentioned it to a friend. She had no idea who I was talk about. Can you imagine living a life not following news.I kind of respect that. No horrible headlines coming at you all day long.

It's fabulous, you should try it.

More teaching experience than 10 years? She may be young but she does have a decade of teaching experience.

Bolger, 33, who has been an Associate Professor at DeSales for the past eight years,

In my 10 years of teaching, I've only recommended two students to a PhD program and he was one of them.

She's been in a position to recommend students to PhD programs for 10 years? Unless this person is the Sheldon Cooper of criminology and received her PhD at a very young age, then her teaching
experience in the field is rather limited, maybe in a TA capacity. But still, she never even met the guy, had him for one online class, and is commenting to the media. I'm surprised her employer is okay with that.

Last edited:
My husband disagrees. He got his BS in Electrical Engineering, Masters in Statistics. He said his PhD in Environmental Science and Engineering was the toughest task he had undertaken.
I think it all depends on your advisor and dissertation chair and how helpful, or not, they decide to be. (Facilitate is probably a better word than helpful.) Some profs are of the mindset, I had it rough and you will, too. MOO If you get one of those, yes, the PhD can be extremely challenging.

Why are so many obsessed with debating this guys intelligence? Most people following this case didn't even know he existed until 2 days ago. No one can say one way or the other. And honestly, it's not something that should even be contemplated without actually knowing the guy personally and frankly not important whatsoever. Either way he got himself caught and his intelligence is irrelevant now.

There’s so many people who don’t watch the news! When Casey Anthony was acquitted, I mentioned it to a friend. She had no idea who I was talk about. Can you imagine living a life not following news.I kind of respect that. No horrible headlines coming at you all day long.
I was in the US during the last election. I went to a salon to get my hair trimmed. I asked the hairdresser if she had been watching the news to keep up. She had no idea there was an election taking place. Said she never followed politics and had never voted in her life! She was in her late 50's!

So now we know more about the survey that BK posted on social media. It was going to be his senior capstone project, but he ran out of time to get the survey results and have it completed, so no responses of the survey were used for his senior capstone project at DeSales University, instead his capstone project was adjusted to be completed without the survey results.

This professor interviewed says she helped him with the survey project, and that although it appears problematic to the public, it follows a model used in criminology.

Interesting.
Why was it floating out on the web (I saw it posted in two places) this summer after his thesis ended in a degree being granted? I don't think his info gathering had stopped.

There is scientific research called "gain of function" that is a euphemism for what may have resulted in the unleashing of COVID from a lab.

Academic theories turned into research are closely monitored because of the harm they can do.

We really don't know, do we? I am not an academic but am always skeptical of "theories" that use innocuous language but in practical terms are potentially anything but.

I'm willing to keep an open mind here but a defense about how those outside of the research process just lack enough understanding to comprehend it doesn't impress me.

JMHO

Last edited:
She's been in a position to recommend students to PhD programs for 10 years? Unless this person is the Sheldon Cooper of criminology and received her PhD at a very young age, then teaching experience in the field is rather limited, maybe in a TA capacity. But still, she never even met the guy, had him for one online class, and is commenting to the media. I'm surprised her employer is okay with that.
And associate professor she just may remain. LOL

What did he do, when one of his victims moved to her parents? Afaik, KG was only visiting her best friend M to show her new bought SUV, but wasn't living anymore at the apartment. If KG indeed was his main target (not known for sure), he had to extend his stalking.

I might be the only one thinking that he did not stalk specifically either girl, and was rather hunting for a young, attractive, girl(s) in a house with easier access. He might have even thought of his acts being a certain “revenge of fate” or “an avenging sword”, e.g., one gal drank too much, the other could be mean to other girls, etc. We might even hear something like it in court, that he chose the victims for a “reason” - JMO. But IRL these “exculpatory reasons” would be invented by BK post-factum, no matter whom he killed. He’d find information to serve as “the reason” online, because, as we have seen, people posting on the deceased IGs are not always kind. IRL, he was a budding SK, a hunter for women.

From this viewpoint, it is interesting that the article writing about him being bullied at school has an interesting twist - whoever describes the bullying, mentions that schoolgirls were the bullies. It opens the door to explanation of his women-hating. Of course, the journalists write what they are told by BK’s own prior friends. But two questions arise, immediately. 1) the girls in his school were bullies, but not the boys? Odd. And, 2) someone, maybe unwittingly, uses bullying by girls to explain BK’s hatred towards women.

I personally don’t question the bullying. But BK went to kickboxing - this is not something one uses to protect oneself from girls throwing paper on one’s head. This is something one uses to protect from male, often street, bullies.

So now we know more about the survey that BK posted on social media. It was going to be his senior capstone project, but he ran out of time to get the survey results and have it completed, so no responses of the survey were used for his senior capstone project at DeSales University, instead his capstone project was adjusted to be completed without the survey results.

This professor interviewed says she helped him with the survey project, and that although it appears problematic to the public, it follows a model used in criminology.

Interesting.
also standout quote

' 'He was an online student in the criminal justice master's degree program and graduated in June 2022,' said Bolger.'

She only taught him online for one year. Is it possible that, due to covid, BK was wholly online 2020-22?

and is this correct: 'The total cost of the 30-hour Master's degree program is approximately $24,000.'

30-hours??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member