ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 44

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every background check I've ever had required fingerprinting. I wonder how a criminal background check can be complete without it?
I’ve been background checked at many jobs. Only one volunteer gig (at a foster group home) required fingerprints. Usually it’s just thru your SSN

This is the same attorney that BK used. By taking BK's parents on as clients, he has made himself a witness.

Oops hit enter and didn't finish my thought.

What this means is that anything BK told LaBar is discoverable by the prosecution.
I disagree.

First, releasing a statement doesn’t mean the parents are clients. In fact, as the attorney is a public defender, there would likely need to be an appointment rather than the attorney being hired by the family.

Second, the attorney for Bryan represents him for purposes of extradition, a limited purpose. What the suspect says to him in the course of the representation is subject to attorney-client privilege. The attorney can’t breach his confidences, to family or to other clients, under the attorney’s code of professional conduct.

also standout quote

' 'He was an online student in the criminal justice master's degree program and graduated in June 2022,' said Bolger.'

She only taught him online for one year. Is it possible that, due to covid, BK was wholly online 2020-22?

and is this correct: 'The total cost of the 30-hour Master's degree program is approximately $24,000.'

30-hours??
Has to be 30 credits, not hours.

I agree. In regards to the father driving back home with his son.
Most of people I know won't do a cross country drive alone. When I was 38 years old and I moved back from another state, family members drove back with me. Many reasons to have someone drive cross country with you...

Hmm! Maybe he asked Dad to drive because the car was ‘acting up’ hoping Dad would. Drive down in his own car. Fact - Dad flew down and actually drove with him to a dealership to get it serviced.

We're more familiar with genealogical DNA being used with cold cases. If that type of DNA investigation was done with the DNA at the crime scene, it seems like a new application of the investigative tool - one that has caused concern for privacy watchdogs in the past.

"Genetic genealogy techniques were used to connect Kohberger to unidentified DNA evidence, another source with knowledge of the case tells CNN. The DNA was run through a public database to find potential family member matches, and subsequent investigative work by law enforcement led to him as the suspect, the source said."

CNN
Disclaimer - I know nothing about any of this. But is it possible that by "genetic genealogy" they mean comparing DNA from the crime scene to BKs parents DNA like from garbage? Rather than the process used in cold cases with 23 and Me or whatever? I was under the impression that was a time consuming process. Again, I know nothing! MOO

I think it all depends on your advisor and dissertation chair and how helpful, or not, they decide to be. (Facilitate is probably a better word than helpful.) Some profs are of the mindset, I had it rough and you will, too. MOO If you get one of those, yes, the PhD can be extremely challenging.
I do remember him saying his was a professional PhD as opposed to an academic degree. Maybe that's the difference?

I disagree.

First, releasing a statement doesn’t mean the parents are clients. In fact, as the attorney is a public defender, there would likely need to be an appointment rather than the attorney being hired by the family.

Second, the attorney for Bryan represents him for purposes of extradition, a limited purpose. What the suspect says to him in the course of the representation is subject to attorney-client privilege. The attorney can’t breach his confidences, to family or to other clients, under the attorney’s code of professional conduct.

Not sure about the details. All I know is that we've had this drilled into our heads by lawyers on other cases.

....and that the killer would naturally get some blood on him--from each victim--and probably deposit some of the previous victims' blood on the subsequent victims.
But, the coroner said they could not tell which students were killed in what order. Does that mean they didn't test the blood on the various victims' bodies? Or, does it mean the killer was able to stab them all without spreading any blood around?

I would think (but, I'm no forensic pathologist) that killing them one after the other like that would result in some blood being passed around.

Am I way off?

All MOO.
Oh boy, I have not seen that the coroner said that. Could you please provide a link? I was counting on them being able to determine the victim order by blood DNA transfer from victim to victim. The last one stabbed would have all the other three's DNA in or near the wounds. It doesn't seem wiping off the knife blade would totally clean off all the DNA. I'm reeling from this info. Please provide a link.

Oh no... ETA: If valid information,

A worst nightmare if he actively stalked them all. So awful. So tragic. So scary. So cruel.

"Bryan Kohberger was often in the same location as Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin before he allegedly stabbed them to death.

“He followed him into a Giant [Pennsylvania grocery store chain] and wore gloves the entire time,” the source reportedly said of his investigator pal.

“Not sure if they ever interacted – but his cell phone pings followed their every move for weeks,” the source reportedly said of Kohberger’s alleged stalking.
"

Bryan Kohberger stalked Idaho victims before murders, wore gloves in grocery store weeks afterward: report

The source is "'good friends' with one of the cops" so is close to worthless.

"

'We will love and support our son and brother': Idaho 'killer's' family STAND BY criminologist but say they 'care deeply for the four victims' families' and are cooperating with cops - as they break silence on arrest"

In washington just to the east of Pullman, Pullman-moscow regional airport.

MOO, but that might not be an option for a lot of people, including myself. I lived in a place with a similar airport and flew out only one time. Aside from the outrageous cost (many of these regional airports are very expensive to fly out of), they fly you to the nearest big airport and then you could have a several hour layover (I had a 5-hr layover, then my connecting flight was delayed due to weather so in total I waited for 9 hours to board my connection). Plus, it was a 6-seater airplane.

If I lived in Moscow, I'd make the drive to the nearest international airport. I'm not sure which one that would be. Seattle maybe?

What did he do, when one of his victims moved to her parents? Afaik, KG was only visiting her best friend M to show her new bought SUV, but wasn't living anymore at the apartment. If KG indeed was his main target (not known for sure), he had to extend his stalking.
I don't know if KG was being stalked physically..like someone following her by car or walking.. or online. If he was stalking her online which he could follow and would know she was going to be in Moscow over the weekend

Interesting....perhaps some of those here with an academic background can weigh in on this (from the article):

'I was one of the professors who helped Bryan with his proposal on his graduate thesis, his capstone project. He did put out a routine questionnaire for his thesis. It looks weird, I understand from the public view. But in criminology it's normal.'

'It's a criminology theory called script theory, it's a normal theory on how and why criminals commit their crime, etc.'

Bolger said, Bryan didn't even end up using any of the data he gleaned from the questionnaire, 'you aren't going to find it anywhere.'

Instead, she said, because he ran out of time, 'his graduate thesis was a narrative one based on the information.'
Sounds like he didn't finish his graduate thesis, and they gave him a pass so he could graduate on time. Seems like issues arose during data collection, perhaps due to a poorly written survey?

JMO, but the school taking the fallout from this won't be IU or even WSU, but the private university. They should learn the phrase 'no comment' and use it, often. MOO

“He’s a very intelligent man, I think everyone’s aware of that,” he said, adding that Kohberger “is aware of the situation and apparently he’s spoken to police also. I believe Idaho state troopers as well as Pennsylvania state police.” Jason LaBar, the chief public defender in Monroe County

If Kohberger was intelligent as LeBar stated, then he wouldn't be talking to police. He would keep silent and get an attorney ASAP.

So now we know more about the survey that BK posted on social media. It was going to be his senior capstone project, but he ran out of time to get the survey results and have it completed, so no responses of the survey were used for his senior capstone project at DeSales University, instead his capstone project was adjusted to be completed without the survey results.

This professor interviewed says she helped him with the survey project, and that although it appears problematic to the public, it follows a model used in criminology.

Interesting.
It was supposed to be a master's thesis, not a senior capstone, no? Either way, I'm not too impressed by a place where a student can obtain their master's degree by submitting their thesis "as a narrative" and without the data that the thesis was supposed to have been premised on. "Ran out of time" for a master's thesis is not the hallmark of a "professional" or "brilliant" student, and it's pretty shocking they passed him on it. And even the survey itself didn't seem to be very rigorous or focused, nevermind it was posted less than a month before the intended graduation date.

Her reviews as a professor are positive - rated "supper [sic] nice" and not a difficult course/prof. Both reviews I saw said she/her classes are set up for students to do well.
This is the same attorney that BK used. By taking BK's parents on as clients, he has made himself a witness.

Oops hit enter and didn't finish my thought.

What this means is that anything BK told LaBar is discoverable by the prosecution.
He's a public defender; the parents are not his clients. And he identifies himself as BCK's counsel right there at the bottom.

And even if it were otherwise, that doesn't make a client's privileged communications subject to discovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member