ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 45

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The knife is likely buried in PA in the woods surrounding the home there.
That’s also very likely. Getting the car and the knife back to PA, away from LE and 2500 miles from murder scene and his apartment and office. He hadn’t lived in that area long enough but back home he has history of the area IMO

They said they needed it on one of the interviews, I thought? They need for linking to him, specifically, if I remember. Or they just have circumstantial case.
Linking the weapon to the killer is one of the *GOLD STANDARDS* in a case. It's *sufficient*, but not *necessary*, since circumstantial evidence is very compelling. Then again, we have OJ case where the knife was never found and compelling circumstantial evidence was ignored.

At this point, LE needs the murder weapon. I was thinking back to a post I read on one of these sites, where the author talked about the murderer possibly stomping the knife into the ground….where it would only be found with a metal detector. There are a lot of miles between Moscow and the Poconos. Dad would be the one to say where they stopped, but with this possibility, the weapon could be right outside the house….perpendicular to the ground, under some leaves. Just wonder if they have used a metal detector in all the places he would have gone, since the murder?
I’ve driven cross country several times and remembering everywhere I stopped (except overnight motels) when I got home is unlikely. When you need gas or a bathroom break you take the next exit, there’s nothing memorable about it. And some stops may have been while dad was sleeping, if you wake up and ask “where are we?”, the answer would be to name a state, usually.
The weapon could be in the trash or ground around any gas station, rest stop, restaurant, or possibly a random place on the side of the road where he pulled over rather than going to a bathroom.
I think detectives have a better idea where they stopped and possibly got rid of the weapon
Unless he used a hard swing out of the car window while driving and dad’s sleeping.
Plenty of places in Idaho to toss a weapon too
[edited to add speculative detail]

Last edited:
The article makes it sound like it was probably cross-country eyeball surveillance, not GPS tracking:

"It's an incredibly complicated, well-choreographed ballet, if I may, of surveillance efforts that would cross multiple FBI field divisions," McCabe said. "Would involve multiple surveillance teams who were following him in certain areas and handing him off to new teams." Former FBI official explains how agents tracked, surveilled Bryan Kohberger

To put a tracker on the car, they would need a search warrant (Carpenter v. US --Sup. Ct. decision) and I don't think they had probable cause to get a warrant at the start of the trip. JMO.
Now the number of FBI agents assigned across the country makes sense!

The way I do road trips (it's 37 hours driving at the speed limit - which, IME, is never the case on that particular road), it would be a 3 day trip, no problem. I typically drive 15 hours a day and I know many who also do so. When you have to travel for work or whatnot, you get a good audible play list (or in this case, your dad) and just haul across the country ASAP. I'm actually planning such a trip right now.

It's not pleasant, I guess. But I pack the right food and I"m old, but still can do as long as 17-18 hours if it means 1 less night in a hotel before destination.
I would definitely enjoy some company on such a long trip and certainly at this time of year when weather can make driving conditions hazardous. JMO

Another thought occurred to me as to how LE was drawn to the white Elantra. Since BK relocated to Pullman in August, did he register his car in WA? If so, when? Did BK keep the PA plates? Did the car have PA license plates on 11/13? Is that what drew the attention to the vehicle on surveillance footage?

After sitting in jail for a couple of days, he may have changed his mind about his approach. LOL Maybe he thought he'd be terribly mysterious and cryptic and now he's decided he'd rather not. The lawyer might have even told him that was really dumb to have said anything, and now he's trying to crawfish out of it.
And if he did say it, (has anyone else been arrested?) I assume it can’t be used against him because it wasn’t an answer to a question?

I'm one of the folks who mentioned the topic of the car having mechanical issues, but I didn't assert it actually did, I merely suggested that claiming there were mechanical concerns could have been a reasonable way for BK to convince his father to accompany him for the drive from ID to PA. I've seen others mention the same option, but have seen no one suggest there were in reality any mechanical concerns.
The whole thing is bizarre to me, a grown man driving his Mother's car, and his Father flying out to accompany him home, and getting his adult son's car serviced? I'm wondering if they knew of more than the struggles we've heard of so far, and helicoptering their adult son?

And if he did say it, (has anyone else been arrested?) I assume it can’t be used against him because it wasn’t an answer to a question?
I don't think it works like that. MOO

"Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law." In the Josh Duggar case a couple of years ago, he asked federal agents who were searching his business if they were there looking for child *advertiser censored*, after nobody had stated that or asked him. It was a voluntary statement that was not an answer to a question. It came up in court.

I believe the murder weapon is long gone, but not necessary IMO to get a conviction. All LE needs is evidence that BK bought, owned or possessed a similar weapon in the recent past, which may be forthcoming.
Imo, he buried it after wrapping it in cloth. He might have a marker in case he wanted to return to retrieve it. I think it’s very important to him.

I hope the source wasn't the Facebook poster who claimed that a local police officer near Kohberger's parents' house had blabbed to her husband. That post did not seem all that credible.
Isn't that usually the case some 48hrs after a big story breaks, so called journalists looking for anything. All of this is just unfolding and who's to say what's credible and what isn't at this point. Even when the facts are known there are still journalists, Twitter accts, and talking heads especially who sit in on network/cable shows who comment based on talking points and rarely get the facts, names, locations or who is related to who straight.

The FB post in the DM article from a PA local who was surprised that the arrest of BCK was in her area and she knew this person or that person was NOT dated I don't believe. That she included what she knew of local LE sharing facts indicates that it was posted after some facts were already known to the public. Should the local LE have been telling what he knows, NO, but to me it doesn't mean the post was not credible in it's content, JMO

The knife is likely buried in PA in the woods surrounding the home there.
MOO-- The knife could be be in the ceiling panels or duct work, or in his office walls or floors at his school. I'm sure LE will be searching his school for it. There's many possibilities. Imagine him driving to his apt. after the murders. Would he want to get rid of it fast? Not found yet. Not needed to nail him though.

forensic silent justice....

To me forensic silent justice comes in the form of 'fighting for your life' defensive wounds.

Here's hoping some of the victims retained forensics silent justice evidence fighting for their lives that comes out at trial. The deceased will have their silent say in court with the amount of BK's dna left behind
How often do you hear in a TV program or movie where an ME will say that the body talks to them or tells them a story..paraphrasing here.

All MOO, of course. IF Kohberger did it...

<modsnip - off topic>

I also think he's intelligent but not smart.

I believe he was stalking the two girls before the murders.

I believe the killing of Chapin and Kernodle was either an error (mistaken bedroom) or done to confuse law enforcement. I think he was primarily after Goncalves and/or Mogen.

I believe he may have thought a "prize-winning" thesis (regarding criminals' mindset and crimes) might get him all the way to employment in the FBI Profiling Unit, although I doubt he would have ever passed their mental/emotional examinations.

<modsnip - response to above snip>. Also, it suddenly hit me that the chance that he was hunting one of the girls, or a man (Ethan) is still 50/50. Could be both, as it has happened with other killers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he got dad in the car and wanted it to be serviced to contaminate or add other DNA in the car.

If BK was the sole driver for 4 months let's say, then getting others (especially males) handling interior and exterior of vehicle to try to get that evidence thrown out in court or create reasonable doubt.

Maybe he got dad in the car and wanted it to be serviced to contaminate or add other DNA in the car.

If BK was the sole driver for 4 months let's say, then getting others (especially males) handling interior and exterior of vehicle to try to get that evidence thrown out in court or create reasonable doubt.
Or to pay for 4 new tyres?

We won’t know whether he said that until trial, if then, if it’s deemed relevant and/or admissible.
I haven’t seen that quote reported by any of the big media.
Anonymous sources can give the media information from a game of telephone, in other words, gossip. Some media don’t confirm the information from their sources, they just report it. Maybe it’s a limited staff issue or maybe it’s just for the clicks, or both.
Some media certainly reported its fair share of gossip and rumors in this case, some sourced straight from social media, all of it we now know to be untrue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KLD2245