ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 45

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone but me think there is a probability that LE arrested BCK early that Friday a.m. in part because the memorial was later that day? Probably they could have waited until early Saturday morning, but think what a different tone the memorial service would have had, imo.

I’m guessing he took the knife and clothes for a ride to burn them or dump in water somewhere in the 9 hour head start after.

One good reason to drive home- that knife would not have made it past security.

I cannot see another good reason for a 28 yr old to drive 37 hours when he will be driving back those 37 hours in a weeks.

If he worked for a prof he would have things to do, maybe have to be back earlier than the first day of classes.

Also, Who is paying for his schooling?
Why did he choose WSU in Pullman?
Did he have funding? A scholarship? Sought out a specific prof for a PhD study?

JMO

Last edited:
IMO the car ride with Dad is a non-issue. My husband flew out and accompanied my son on a cross country trip simply so he wouldn't be alone. They had bonding time, shared the driving, so it took less time and no one got sleepy behind the wheel. I have two friends who did the same with their college-aged daughter. I'm also not sure if his criminal studies caused him to plan this. It is still possible he was rejected by one of the young women out and about, and then anger escalated in his mind, as he has been described as aggressive. Could be completely wrong, but I think we'll know before the end of the week.

Lots of parents allow adult children still in school to drive cars registered to mother or father. Insurance is expensive. I have 2 cars. When I added the newer car, it only increased my insurance by $400 per year and I kept full comprehensive (collision) coverage. From the family’s point of view, a full-time grad student is still a “student.” It would seem likely that they were proud he was doing a doctoral program and wanted to help in any way they could, especially if he seemed to be turning around from earlier behavioral or health issues.

I was in my 40s when I finished my Ph.D. I had worked both a full and part-time job during my master’s work and during the doctoral years had either a teaching or research fellowship, which I supplemented with picking up part-time research or tutoring that can be out there for enterprising students. I took the last summer off to write the dissertation and moved out of a roommate situation to concentrate on my work. My mother co-signed a loan (which I paid back) sent me $125 per month to “help out“ until I got a full-time job in the fall. That was a huge help and not “helicoptering” in any way. She was prone to a lot of snide “perpetual student” comments but she helped out as much as she could.

Many people start Ph.D. programs but don’t finish because 2-3 years of poverty is pretty brutal. It helps to have a spouse or parents as a safety net. And it took me a lot longer to finish because I was always looking for additional work to pay the bills. When i did take a full-time job, it didn’t pay a whole lot more than I earned from a research fellowship plus adjunct teaching plus whatever else I could get paid to do. In my program, we had a grad student association with a little budget; we often held events at the end of the month that included food (bagels, cheese, fruit) because in the week before payday, people were food insecure. None of this may apply to BK but in general, getting a Ph.D. Is hard work and living on a grad stipend (which also provides tuition) isn’t easy. The value of an assistantship or fellowship can be high because of tuition but what grad students live on is often lower than minimum wage.
Interesting, thanks for telling me.

He reported to be a late night runner. Wonder if he had caches set up where he dumped weapon and clothing right after the crimes?
It also has me wondering where his car was parked in relation to 1122 King Street the night of the murder. Did BK possibly park the car blocks away or a mile or more and simply jogged to the home? BK had a history of often running 6-7 miles! His apartment was a mere 10 miles away.

Thank you! Does Idaho have a law stating how long they can hold him before his first court appearance?
Once he arrives back in Idaho this week, I imagine that he will need to have a public lawyer appointed, and then the public attorney will be given the PCA, and need time to read it, review it, etc. But perhaps there will be a quick court appearance before a judge before all this happens, just as a pro forma appearance and to meet the legal requirements?

I imagine he'll do everything he can to be thought of as needing psychiatric care.

To you psychology-oriented posters: could a poi like BCK, with a bachelors' in psych, plus whatever he learned getting his masters' and with one semester of course work towards a PhD in Criminology, criminal behavior, could he have learned enough to know how to fake the tests they will give him? Fool the test administers into thinking he is not well mentally?
Idaho - Insanity not a defense. Judge can consider in sentencing.

I imagine he'll do everything he can to be thought of as needing psychiatric care.

To you psychology-oriented posters: could a poi like BCK, with a bachelors' in psych, plus whatever he learned getting his masters' and with one semester of course work towards a PhD in Criminology, criminal behavior, could he have learned enough to know how to fake the tests they will give him? Fool the test administers into thinking he is not well mentally?
Possibly. But I'm guessing it's going to be really difficult for him to pretend he's so disturbed he can't aid in his defense. JMO

He could try his very best but there are tests he could be given, that if he were imitating a diagnosis, that would also flag if he was being overly symptomatic. In other words professionals would be able to tell one way or another where he stands in the mental health realm. A more publicized case involving some of these tests is that of amber heard vs. Johnny Depp. With the magnitude of these crimes, I would assume that they would bring in the best of the best to analyze BK. In my humble opinion.

My clinical work is in neuro, not psych, but IME any competent evaluator will base that evaluation on a preponderance rather than single test or even small suite before subjecting results to a stats analysis, making it difficult to do more than tilt results.

But I'm not sure why BCK would want to fail a psych eval -- if he's pleased with what he's done he'll want the credit for it, and if he's looking for a way out I don't see any clear path to an insanity defence given his behaviour prior to or after the alleged crimes.

Last edited:
@Boxer “MOO it’s a big deal, could get the car evidence tossed unless there is DNA or other evidence it. The difference between the wheels are immediately apparent.”

I disagree, or maybe just don’t understand your rationale, could you explain why you feel that the “car evidence” could get tossed because LE was asking for tips about a specific year Elantra and the suspects Elantra was actually an older model?

Apparently LE has retrieved video of the white Elantra near the crime scene….and if that car on video matches the suspect’s car and thereby ties the driver to the area of the crime scene that very night…isn’t that enough evidence? Matching DNA would seal the deal on the car. But IMO, but even without matching DNA from the car, I would think the car, regardless of the year of manufacture, would still be admissible in court to place the suspect near or at the crime scene.

It was only a plea by LE to generate tips from the public about a white Elantra, really any white Elantra, regardless of the year of manufacture. It will be interesting to find out as the story unfolds if a tip came in from someone regarding BK’s car AND the person also alerted LE of a suspicion that he could also be a possible suspect.

someone does say that he was in some vocational program between 2012-2014.... but there was no link to clarify or state as fact.

These years are pretty important in an individual's life... as far as I have seen, no one has commented as knowing him during these years of 2012--2017ish.
Twill come out...just surprised it is taking a while.
The link was posted twice today, here is once more:
Lawrence Rosenberg said he attended classes at the Career & Technical Institute with Kohberger, but that he dropped out in 2014 without completing the course.

'He would always looked bugged eye'd like on drugs and nobody in the class really never talked to him that's why he only went for 2 years and left without taking the final exam,' he said.

There are functional drug-addicts, just like there are functional alcoholics.You'd be amazed, nobody would ever guess...

Yeah I understand your point, my mother was a functioning alcoholic for years, many people never knew how much she struggled. But alcoholism and hard drug addiction such as heroin are two very different diseases. Heroin is an incredibly addictive drug that can consume a user's entire life. That's not to say one couldn't overcome it, I just think it's very unlikely to be the case here. I would think there would be many more reports of a past drug issue. Then again, everything at this point is speculation. Most of the information that has come out about his past and most recent educational achievements could certainly be coming out just because he was receiving a degree in a criminal field (more intriguing to MSM vs a past drug problem IMO).

Does anyone but me think there is a probability that LE arrested BCK early that Friday a.m. in part because the memorial was later that day? Probably they could have waited until early Saturday morning, but think what a different tone the memorial service would have had, imo.
Nah...They arrest when they feel it most prudent for the case.
Usually:
  • When they have enough evidence
  • Fear they could lose evidence.
  • Fear that a suspect could flee
  • Fear that a suspect could harm someone
Generally they avoid arresting until they have collected enough evidence. Sometimes they will arrest if they feel the suspect could harm someone/flee etc.

MOO: I feel in this case, they had enough evidence at the time. There is also the fear that delaying could loose evidence. (A hypothetical example would be, if BK had plans with his car) MOO

I have been treating this particular claim with a great deal of skepticism, both because it comes from a single, unidentified source and because the information is way too vague to make sense of. Are they talking about precise location data from apps? Or pings off of a cell tower?

My guess would be that he was, like nearly every student, using Google products including Google maps. If so, this guy is chock full of mistakes.

But that's a good question and it will be interesting to see what FBI did use (if they tell us). There were way more towers in Moscow than I had first envisioned, though.

So who cracked the case? Was it the convenience store manager who found the white car in her security camera and then forwarded that info to police, and from there to the public?
If she had not done so, do you think they would have found Bryan??

I have been a little confused by that, too, but I think the distinction is everything that said the 4 days that I saw was in reference to PA FBI. So, that doesn't rule out FBI agents from other states or other agencies following him in the days before that. MOO
Pullman, Ephrata and Spokane all have car repair shops and are a whole lot closer than driving more than 2,500 miles from Pullman to Pennsylvania. Moreover, why would you drive across the country in a car with mechanical issues?

Bryan Kohberg was driving the car, and he would have been the one to claim it had mechanical problems. It would be really interesting to find out when he first said the vehicle had mechanical problems. IMHO, the only way to verify that is if you put it in writing, left a voicemail. If it allegedly coincided with the father buying a plane ticket, that would only suggest the story is true, absent additional confirmatory evidence.

Not, at least according to his lawyer.

Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
LaBar said he has no concerns about BK's mental health and is not concerned about taking his own life. Some have said things about him wearing the suicide vest but that's standard procedure in case like this one
@LawCrimeNetwork

Pullman, Ephrata and Spokane all have car repair shops and are a whole lot closer than driving more than 2,500 miles from Pullman to Pennsylvania. Moreover, why would you drive across the country in a car with mechanical issues?

Bryan Kohberg was driving the car, and he would have been the one to claim it had mechanical problems. It would be really interesting to find out when he first said the vehicle had mechanical problems. IMHO, the only way to verify that is if you put it in writing, left a voicemail. If it allegedly coincided with the father buying a plane ticket, that would only suggest the story is true, absent additional confirmatory evidence.
Except there's nothing to indicate he had mechanical problems. Per CNN, the car was being serviced, not repaired. That suggests routine maintenance, and when I was in grad school, yes, I'd rather go home and get it done where I know and trust the mechanic and actually have time to do errands on a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot