ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 45

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lawrence Rosenberg said he attended classes at the Career & Technical Institute with Kohberger, but that he dropped out in 2014 without completing the course.
RSBM

It looks like his classmate may have been referring to an adult learning course post high school, or they may have been in a half day vocational program during high school. Depends on how old BK was when he graduated. At any rate, adding this link to yours, as this is the regional public trade school I believe his classmate mentions:

I wonder if they were pulled over twice on purpose because the police were tracking him. Maybe trying to get DNA or other evidence.
If this is true, I think everyone's heart skips a beat when ya see the blue and red lights behind you but can ya imagine BCK when he looked in the rear view and saw those lights pulling him over??

Wonder if he followed his horoscope or moon signs anything occult that made that date the one he wanted?
Anything is possible. But it strikes me BK followed standard research methodology for carrying out these murders (don’t think I’ve written such a bizarre type of sentence before). The scientific community has pretty much rejected horoscopes etc, and BK identified with this group, so he’s likely to have made his decisions according to his own “scientific approach.” Thus, he picked the brains of ex-cons to put together the description of the killing process - from beginning to end. In a way he also conducted his own validity test to see if results can be replicated outside of the study sample (i.e., ex-cons who responded to his survey). It’s all very calculated and if he didn’t kill before he most likely would should he not have gotten caught.

Not, at least according to his lawyer.

Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
LaBar said he has no concerns about BK's mental health and is not concerned about taking his own life. Some have said things about him wearing the suicide vest but that's standard procedure in case like this one
@LawCrimeNetwork
This is where I got it:
"LaBar also said he has recommended his client undergo a psychological evaluation before court proceedings."

Bryan Kohberger's dad drove with son out of Idaho in white Hyundai—lawyer

Here’s what looks like exciting news. “No longer than 24 hours, not counting Saturday, Sunday, or holidays.” I’m assuming that his court appearance in Pennsylvania doesn’t count. Idaho is the state doing the prosecution.

All MOO. I am not a lawyer
Not to be contrary but I think the information you provided relates to Misdemeanor offenses, there may be different rules if that's case, or maybe not. MOO

His favorite memory or quote.

Aristotle quote

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ...

Epic fail on his part.

RSBM

It looks like his classmate may have been referring to an adult learning course post high school, or they may have been in a half day vocational program during high school. Depends on how old BK was when he graduated. At any rate, adding this link to yours, as this is the regional public trade school I believe his classmate mentions:

I understood they were both enrolled in a HVAC vocational program but BK dropped out before completing the program. Seemed to me BK instead opted for a traditional college degree, etc.

It also has me wondering where his car was parked in relation to 1122 King Street the night of the murder. Did BK possibly park the car blocks away or a mile or more and simply jogged to the home? BK had a history of often running 6-7 miles! His apartment was a mere 10 miles away.

My guess is he parked in the lot behind the house. I find it fascinating that he continued driving the car that close to the area. I am looking forward to learning what they were able to recover out of his apartment and car. I don't think he got rid of the weapon used.

Does anyone but me think there is a probability that LE arrested BCK early that Friday a.m. in part because the memorial was later that day? Probably they could have waited until early Saturday morning, but think what a different tone the memorial service would have had, imo.

I don't believe that LE arrested BK when they did because of the timing of the memorial service. My thought is that they had the arrest warrant approved and then they had to work with PA authorities to make the arrest. No clue how long it would take to work with PA LE to plan the arrest and ensure that there were not any leaks. I'm assuming the FBI, State Governors Office, or other LE agencies were very involved at this point. So who knows how long that took? Hours, Days, ?? I just think when they were able to make an arrest, they didn't waste any time doing so, and I don't think it's likely that they were influenced by anything other than making a successful arrest with a safe outcome.

The suspect seems to be what I think of as a "professional student".

His undergrad path seems fairly normal. Then he obtains a masters degree right after that, also fairly normal. Then, he immediately enters a PhD program. Why not go straight to the PhD program and skip the masters? At no time during his journey did he seem to get any real world experience in criminal justice (at least not until last week). I doubt a school security guard really counts as criminal justice experience.

I bring this up because I have known a number of people who seem to stay in school because they aren't ready for the real world. Most people I know with PhD's had a goal in mind before staring those programs. I wonder what his long-term plan was? Did he even have one.

He seems to be smart enough to progress through school, but I have seen nothing so far to suggest he is a criminal mastermind or genius. I have yet to see any peer-reviewed articles listing him as an author/co-author.
The usual progression is bachelor’s, master’s, Ph.D If someone is staying in the same field. I do know Ph.Ds who go back for a 2nd master’s degree or get a J.D. from law school. The former Allegheny County Pa coroner had an M.D. and a J.D. It’s not at all unusual for people to go to school after having time in the working world or for students to go straight through. I’ve seen students take many different paths through higher education, including time in the military. Someone who needs an advanced degree to get into a particular field (law, medicine, university teaching) is not a “professional student.” They are following the path required to get to their goal.

I would be very surprised if a master’s student from an online program was publishing in peer-reviewed journals. His thesis/project had to be modified so he could finish on time. And success in a job in school security would certainly allow someone to network and gain recommendations for moving to the next level. it’s worth remembering that BK (however much someone may despise him at the moment) was living in a fairly rural area where getting a police job would be very competitive. You are right, though, that success of any sort in school does not make someone a “genius.”

Catching up....

Can someone confirm about BK's lawyer.
He is just an extradition lawyer dealing with the states of Pen/Was and BK will get to choose/or wil be appointed different legal counsel for the idaho murder trial?
He is the public defender in the Pennsylvania county where BK was arrested. Period. He will not represent BK in Idaho.

He had indeed a lot of time and most likely pre-planned the knife destination.

I'd really like it to be found.
It is possible the weapon has been found but LE has not given out that information yet (due to the pending extradition and unsealing of the probable cause affidavit.) A good possibility as they have searched his residence, his university apartment and by now the vehicle. I'm of the OPINION that he would keep the weapon as a souvenir, so one of those locations might be where it was hidden. Afterall, IMO he didn't expect to be caught.

BBM
Maybe his academic advisers were just glad to see him go? Not a good reason to gloss over his shortcomings but one more semester of dealing with him just didn't seem worth it?

I have a feeling he had a rep as a difficult personality in person. I'm curious if recommendations by professors who have never interacted with a student in the real world need to be clear about that. Seems like valuable info to me.

Just my 2 cents

Why did he choose WSU?
I can’t see a connection at WSU to what I assume are his interests.
Any ideas?

These are topics of recent publications by CJ at WSU.
  • Legalization of Marijuana and CJ
  • Gender and CJ
  • Pronouns of Arrest
  • LGBT And CJ
  • Domestic Violence
  • Corona and Prisons

WSU CJ Recent Publications

JMO

Can the legal paperwork be completed that quickly for the extradition? I'm asking because I don't know. Don't governors have to be involved, too? Jmo
Tomorrow is the first day of work after the holidays. I’m sure that the governors’ offices have the process all lined up. In PA someone reviews the request for extradition for the governor and recommends that the request meets the requirements. It’s a formal process, in the sense that there are boxes that must be checked off.

Last edited:
One thing BK may not have planned on is the almost complete vacuum of info now that he's sitting in jail.

From his degrees/academics and things people have said (he wanted to make sure you knew he was smart when he spoke), I am assuming he likes researching/finding info, etc.

But, he was arrested at the beginning of a long weekend, met (as far as I have read) once for about an hour with the lawyer who will represent him in PA for the extradition and then... nada. He wouldn't have had visitors (like his family) during that time, can't check his phone for the latest news updates, or hop on his computer to read crime forums, or even easily have access to reading material of any kind. I think the reality of now being in an information drought (after having easy access to a glut of information) may be hitting hard. He may have considered that he would get caught, could have his "glory" in the courtroom (reliving details) but might not have figured on information withdrawl and the fact that his access to information will be limited and controlled by others, perhaps for the rest of his life.

MOO.

I disagree to some extent. I’m not sure if you have been in college in the United States lately but there are MANY MANY people his age and older still attempting bachelor degrees. I don’t think 28 is old or out of the norm for a graduate degree. If anything, more the norm. Are there some young kids who graduate sooner, sure, but many do not. I think his age is of no significance to his level of intelligence. I do not doubt this man is intelligent either. He surely is! Probably above average, but it is the lack of social norms that sets him aside from others. One can be exceedingly intelligent but lack the ability to match the “street smarts” or “common sense” that some maybe less intelligent people have. Without both of those, he will surely make mistakes in his logic. I agree that he is clearly a narcissist and believes himself to be smarter than others. I know someone who has similar narcissistic qualities, and these types of people do not fear authority. They actually love the challenge and look for opportunities to flaunt how smart they are.

Regarding the math and science? Both would be requirements for his bachelors and masters programs. So to get his bachelors degree, he would be required to complete statistics of psychology, for example. Once in the graduate program. He would be required to do the same again but for the criminology program - each class studying statistics, but based on the subject being learned. These are requirements for degrees here in the US.

I like your comment.

What he studied and what he learned are 2 different things, in his case.

I am afraid, the 100% online styding to which all universities across the world switched to for 2 years ( 2020-2022 ) because of Covid produced many like him: graduated with duploma but little or unsufficient knowledge young 'professionals'.

We may see just the tip of the iceberg now.

I understood they were both enrolled in a HVAC vocational program but BK dropped out before completing the program. Seemed to me BK instead opted for a traditional college degree, etc.
He might not have taken the final certificate test, regardless of whether he was adult ed or high school. If still in high school, this would not have been a graduation requirement…highly encouraged, but not required to pass his “shop.”
Then at some point, he moved on to NCC. Not sure how long he was there. He may have taken any number of classes before pursuing his AA in psych. NCC has a number of mostly online programs. They also have a matriculation agreement with DeSales, who also offer a mostly online BA in psych as well as a fully online master’s.

I’m not sure how much time he spent in actual classrooms and college settings before heading to WA. I suspect the transition was a shock.

MOO

I imagine he'll do everything he can to be thought of as needing psychiatric care.

To you psychology-oriented posters: could a poi like BCK, with a bachelors' in psych, plus whatever he learned getting his masters' and with one semester of course work towards a PhD in Criminology, criminal behavior, could he have learned enough to know how to fake the tests they will give him? Fool the test administers into thinking he is not well mentally?
Assessments will include symptom validity subtests and additional scales that can detect malingering. Basically, there are ways to identify when someone is “faking bad” or “faking good.” Often times when people try to “fake bad” they exaggerate the symptoms and they are inconsistent in their presentations. In this case, it’s clear BK has significant psychopathology, but he has been able to function in society bc he knows right from wrong. He just happened to get caught this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia