ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 45

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if he was planning to not return to Washington. His father flew out to drive back with him, why not just fly to PA himself for the break? Or he could have been afraid his car would be searched if he left in in a parking lot. I'm thinking he still may have that knife in the car, hidden in the trunk.

Maybe a stop to change / add winter tires and leave those old tires (tracks) behind? speculation, imo.

Yeah see I don't think he would have planned that out. Maybe, out of paranoia (after understanding that LE was looking for his vehicle) would he think to do that. And I don't think he became paranoid either...at least from what I know now.

He stayed in town a very long time after the crime and in MOO a long time after the release came out about the vehicle in question. "Reports" have come out that he attended classes and still was working as a TA after the crime as well. Not sure if he did so after the press release on the vehicle - I'm not sure about that.

I don't think he was worried about the vehicle at all. If that's the case why wouldn't he just have left? Sure, not showing up to class or TA duties would have been out of character but he easily could have brushed it off as he needed to go home for whatever reason. That is if he believed they wouldn't be able to trace him back to the crime scene through DNA or whatever other evidence. So, he just went on about his normal daily routine and life. I'd bet that's the stand he's taking now. He's betting LE doesn't have the evidence needed to tie him back to the crime without reasonable doubt.

I also wonder if that's why an anonymous source leaked to CNN the info on the DNA. Maybe LE is trying to convince him, that they know better.

It probably doesn't mean anything...but do y'all remember that there was an HVAC repair van that was at the 1122 King property just a couple of days after the killings? I always thought it was odd that LE seemingly called in a air conditioning and heating company to the crime scene so close after the murders.
listen here about 8:13 in. There is a question about the house and reporter says - “I heard that it needs a new furnace.”

I’m willing to guess that may have been the purpose for the call you are referencing.

@Boxer “MOO it’s a big deal, could get the car evidence tossed unless there is DNA or other evidence it. The difference between the wheels are immediately apparent.”

I disagree, or maybe just don’t understand your rationale, could you explain why you feel that the “car evidence” could get tossed because LE was asking for tips about a specific year Elantra and the suspects Elantra was actually an older model?

Apparently LE has retrieved video of the white Elantra near the crime scene….and if that car on video matches the suspect’s car and thereby ties the driver to the area of the crime scene that very night…isn’t that enough evidence? Matching DNA would seal the deal on the car. But IMO, but even without matching DNA from the car, I would think the car, regardless of the year of manufacture, would still be admissible in court to place the suspect near or at the crime scene.

It was only a plea by LE to generate tips from the public about a white Elantra, really any white Elantra, regardless of the year of manufacture. It will be interesting to find out as the story unfolds if a tip came in from someone regarding BK’s car AND the person also alerted LE of a suspicion that he could also be a possible suspect.

Agreed. There will be no issue regarding the year of the sought-after Elantra. That kind of thing happens all the time. The only thing that matters in the end is that BCK was not only in possession of that specific Elantra, but that he was the only person known to have driven it around in Idaho/Washington. I'll bet a whole box of donuts that no one else's DNA (besides perhaps dad's) is found on the steering wheel (the mechanic may have to give up some DNA, but even without, I think a jury will accept as fact that BCK took the car to WA, drove it around the area, then drove it back home, where it was recovered).

Won't even be an issue at trial, and if defense tries that gambit, the jury will roll their collective eyes. To stoop to quibbling about the car year or its ownership/usage will hurt, not help, the defense.

IMO.

This stuck out for me: "According to LaBar, Kohberger's dad had flown into Seattle, to Spokane and then drove into Pullman to get his son and drive back to Pennsylvania during the holiday. It was a planned trip." I had no problem with the idea of him flying out and driving back in BK's car, but this trip sounds really convoluted. If he went from ABE in Allentown, I can't find a direct flight to Seattle, and the flights add up to nine hours or so. Maybe he went from Philly? Did he leave a car at one of those airports? Then another 1+hour to Spokane? Did BK pick him up in Spokane and they drove from there? Did the dad spend the night in Pullman before starting this drive? This is beginning to sound like a trip that was "planned" sometime after November 13, for a very specific reason.
doesn't surprise me Indiana and Ohio are terrible for speeding tickets especially out of state drivers

Yes, would be interesting to know why Nov 13. I believe BK’d bday was a week or so later so could be related to that, or not at all. If I were the psychologist interviewing him I’d ask “why Nov 13 and not a few days or weeks earlier? Why not the next day?”
Also, in academia we often say that our research is really “me-search.” BK is an obvious case of that - he also used the survey questions to develop an emotional blue print for his murders. He lacks emotions and filled in that gap by getting the emotional descriptions from others who had killed people.
We have to think of KG. She was in Moscow only for a visit, afaik, and if he included her to be his future victim, he temporal had not much choice. IMO

It still bothers me that they were tracking the suspect across the country ready to arrest him and then they let a cleaning crew come to clean the crime scene the day he gets arrested. Then they just call off the cleaning and it becomes the crime scene again? They knew they were going to arrest him. Doesn't make sense.
It was a court order to stop cleaning.

The police and FBI have not found the knife and are still searching according to the recent news press conference of the police chief. I am incredibly impressed and thrilled with law enforcement‘s excellent job finding BK. Am I the only person who doesn’t think they will ever find the knife? It could be in various trash dumps Washington, Idaho, rest stops, Pennsylvania, McDonald’s along the way, dug in holes between Washington and Pennsylvania, into sewers, , tossed down canyons, lakes, rivers, oceans, caves, …..
If they do find the knife, that takes "genious" to zero, imo. A knife is so easy to get rid of. Ask anyone who has ever lost one.

Obviously we think differently. I believe it is the moral duty of responsible citizens to do our utmost to live by the ideals of our system. Misinformation, rumor, inflammatory news articles rabid speculation, and hearsay are harmful and can potentially impact the jury pool, thus making the prosecution's job more difficult. Additionally, a tainted jury pool creates an appeal argument for a convicted defendant.
Yes, we do think differently, albeit from a similar (I think, if I read you right) respect for our system.

Are you of the opinion that no one should voice an opinion until there is a trial with a final, unappealable verdict (or a guilty plea)? Not professionals and not laypeople? It's irresponsible to comment?

In reality, "tainted jury pools" in criminal cases are few and far between - and not for lack of effort by particularly odious defendants to transfer venue - those motions are also a matter of course in just about any widely publicized trial. It takes a lot to prevail, and usually involves unique situations and very tight communities - and even then is exceptionally rare. It happens, and sometimes parties may preemptively agree to transfer venue for a host of reasons, including resources or avoidance of doubt as to the pool, but in reality, juries take their obligations very seriously. We should not have so little faith in our fellow citizens called to do a serious job.

There is a crucial - fundamental - difference between legal guilt and actual guilt. Don't confuse the two. Saying "I think x totally murdered that person" is not at all the same as opining, "I think the state's case satisfied the burden of proof for the crimes charged, and none of the defenses offered was sufficiently compelling as to alter that outcome."

Our criminal justice system is far from perfect, but it is pretty sturdy. The rule of law is the best humanity has ever devised, and it wouldn't be so if jibber-jabber by the masses could destabilize it. I would argue that lack of opinion and lack of public discussion is far more corrosive and dangerous than randoms voicing premature or under-validated opinions.

I find it really disturbing how some seem quick to blame BK's parents by speculating that they coddled him, told him he could do no wrong, etc., when AFAIK there have been zero reports of them doing so.

It is very disturbing and, I'd have thought, very much in breach of WS's guidelines as outlined at the beginning of this thread, which warns against exactly the type of wholly irresponsible speculation you refer to above.

It's almost like some on here think it's a competition to get in first, to see who gets to be right, some badge of honour to wave for likes at the end of this investigation, with no empathy or thought whatsoever as to how the victims of this crime - and I include them all, the families of the victims and the family of the alleged perpetrator - are feeling right now about the media spotlight that's on them through no fault of their own, knowing also how horribly out of control it can and will likely get.

Imagine it was you and your family? Walk in those more empathetic and kinder shoes.

Last edited:
Agree he may be getting too much credit in some peoples' eyes for being some kind of mastermind -- because he was pursuing degree(s) in higher education? or studying criminal justice? so maybe thought he knew more than most about evidence and investigating?

Or was it much simpler than that? like as he grew older (and left his teen angsty years most people have) behind, he started to realize he wasn't able to function in society/relationships in a meaningful or fulfilling way, and so deferred to playing at being an "endless student", became increasingly divorced from reality and thought he was playing a "game". And lost the game, taking four lives and destroying many other lives in the bargain before he was called on it. JMOO
#2. This is what I said a few threads back, but you've explained it much better than I ever could!

It still bothers me that they were tracking the suspect across the country ready to arrest him and then they let a cleaning crew come to clean the crime scene the day he gets arrested. Then they just call off the cleaning and it becomes the crime scene again? They knew they were going to arrest him. Doesn't make sense.
Defense motion? It was reported by LE at the presser that it (stop cleaning) was court ordered.

Last edited:
He had to be freaking out getting pulled over twice for traffic violations if this is true. Weren’t the cops following him anyways at this point?
That’s what I find strange. The FBI were trailing them…do you think these pull overs were orchestrated, or really just done by out of the loop patrol officers?

According to LaBar, Kohberger's dad had flown into Seattle, to Spokane and then drove into Pullman to get his son and drive back to Pennsylvania during the holiday. It was a planned trip, and LaBar said Kohberger's father told him that nothing was out of the ordinary during the cross-country drive.
LaBar did state the father and son duo were pulled over twice in Indiana during the trip to Pennsylvania. He also said he was not sure who had been driving.
"I don't know whether they were speeding or not or if they were even issued a ticket," LaBar said. "I just know that they were pulled over in Indiana almost back to back. I believe once for speeding and once for falling too closely to a car in front of them."
I'm surprised the public defender didn't ask if his client had been driving or whether or not a ticket was issued. How could LaBar not be interested. It doesn't seem impossible that they were stopped because of nationwide bulletins on the car. Yes I know it was a 2015. Would it be SOP for the first pd to pass off his client's records to the pd in the second state?

I wonder if he was planning to not return to Washington. His father flew out to drive back with him, why not just fly to PA himself for the break? Or he could have been afraid his car would be searched if he left in in a parking lot. I'm thinking he still may have that knife in the car, hidden in the trunk.

In my past, I worked out of state from my hometown and where my family lives. I didn't have a ton of money at the time but I was working full time, not a PHD student. I drove home every year for Xmas and New Years staying for about a week each time while I was off from work. A one way trip was about 700 miles or so and about 12 hours. Not nearly the same as what BK had to travel but the cost savings was significant vs flying and at the time I was flying quite a bit for work, I could have saved with miles earned, both cities were Delta hubs so that was cheaper then flying into a smaller airport.

But the real reason why I drove, is so I had a vehicle to drive when I went back home for the entire week. I couldn't imagine being stuck using a parent's vehicle the entire time I was home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot