ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 45

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have a good timeline/explanation of the next steps in the legal arena? What exactly is required of the prosecution for the extradition hearing? What steps come after that? I’m wondering when/if any of the prosecution’s evidence will become public prior to trial.

Also—I’m so impressed with LE’s commitment to focus on conviction, which likely means they are doing everything “by the book.”

His extradition lawyer in PA has said that BK isn’t going to fight extradition; he’s eager to get back to Idaho and be exonerated.

So, the extradition hearing was scheduled for Jan 3, Tuesday. I’m guessing that it will be extremely brief, and that BK will be on his way back to Idaho as soon as they can arrange to ship him. I’m guessing he’ll have a short first hearing in an Idaho court, as soon as possible.

And, Chief Fry said that because of Idaho law and court rulings, LE can’t disclose any of the evidence until BK has appeared in an Idaho court.

He sounded as though we can expect the Probable Cause Affidavit to be released then. It should have the main points of why they singled him out and arrested him. It won’t have anything they’ve discovered since then.

All MOO

Questions in Kohberger's research survey via DeSales University included:

How did you travel to and enter the location where the crime occurred?
After arriving, what steps did you take prior to locating the victim or target? Please detail your thoughts and feelings.
Why did you choose that victim or target over others?
Before making your move, how did you approach the victim or target? Please detail what you were thinking and feeling.
What was the first move you made in order to accomplish your goal? Please detail any thoughts and feelings at this point.
Before leaving, is there anything else you did?
How did you leave the scene?
After committing the crime, what were you thinking and feeling?

Reading that survey again, it strikes me that it came from 'killing for dummies' handbook. Did he really believe that if he tries to avoid other killers mistakes, he will commit a perfect murder? Didn't he think for a second that he will most likely make other mistakes, will miscalculate on other things, instead? Was he so unbelievably arrogant to ignore basic instincts?

I wish someone to ask him if his destiny was to kill, as he advocated the theory that some people are born to be killers. Is he one of them?

Last edited:
I don't think it works like that. MOO

"Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law." In the Josh Duggar case a couple of years ago, he asked federal agents who were searching his business if they were there looking for child *advertiser censored*, after nobody had stated that or asked him. It was a voluntary statement that was not an answer to a question. It came up in court.
“anything you say”

His extradition lawyer in PA has said that BK isn’t going to fight extradition; he’s eager to get back to Idaho and be exonerated.

So, the extradition hearing was scheduled for Jan 3, Tuesday. I’m guessing that it will be extremely brief, and that BK will be on his way back to Idaho as soon as they can arrange to ship him. I’m guessing he’ll have a short first hearing in an Idaho court, as soon as possible.

And, Chief Fry said that because of Idaho law and court rulings, LE can’t disclose any of the evidence until BK has appeared in an Idaho court.

He sounded as though we can expect the Probable Cause Affidavit to be released then. It should have the main points of why they singled him out and arrested him. It won’t have anything they’ve discovered since then.

All MOO
Thank you! Does Idaho have a law stating how long they can hold him before his first court appearance?

Just after 4:am in California (and still trying to catch up!) Interestingly (to me anyway) was collaboration of Idaho and Washington Criminology Depts Study Abroad Program. The specific term used is "joint."
Just try to think of connections/interactions and ways paths could have crossed other than social circles.
1672661289082.png

Last edited:
I took it more as when you live in an apartment, you should be mindful of the times you are making noise so that you’re a considerate neighbor.
Especially if the walls of the building were not noise-proofed as some neighbourghs reported that even the voices of peoples' conversations could be heard in the other flats. His neighbourghs knew when he had visitors because they could hear the voices. There was not much privacy, it seems.

Yes! Good point. And it seems like his professor had no problem with his research method.
BTW I heard Dr David Petreca interviewed on this matter. As part of his own research he uses Qualtrics, and so, on Dec 30th he accessed it to look at all of the survey questions. He also speculated that LE would want to access the replies which will be stored at DeSales.
He also made more general comments, which I haven't seen on WS, such as it's impossible to design a credible Masters survey within such a short research time frame & so close to grad. ( May - June)

Last edited:
Thank you! Does Idaho have a law stating how long they can hold him before his first court appearance?

Here’s what looks like exciting news. “No longer than 24 hours, not counting Saturday, Sunday, or holidays.” I’m assuming that his court appearance in Pennsylvania doesn’t count. Idaho is the state doing the prosecution.

All MOO. I am not a lawyer

The whole thing is bizarre to me, a grown man driving his Mother's car, and his Father flying out to accompany him home, and getting his adult son's car serviced? I'm wondering if they knew of more than the struggles we've heard of so far, and helicoptering their adult son?
Living in Pullman/moving far from "home" gave him enough independence to finally act out a major fantasy, IMO. Maybe he has other victims in PA/the East & this mass murder was an escalation.

Like you, I find the man-child "evidence" to be quite compelling as to who this guy is.

Did he ever hurt animals growing up? Was he a peeping Tom as an adolescent or later?

We don't know the half of it, I fear. What we do know is beyond chilling.

There has probably been a concerted effort to ignore his known serious shortcomings while focusing on his perceived achievements.

BK is accountable for all of his choices, regardless. And his choices are likely so horrific he can no longer be allowed to live free among us.

JMO & MOO

She did not, thankfully and we subsequently shared many fast food meals, my favourite!
She stuck it out for almost a year far as I remember, her skin was glowing but she was almost in tears at mealtimes.. it did look pretty grim, I wouldn't have been able to do it.
His diet may have changed around that Summer he lost all the weight, allegedly did a rehab programme and returned to school with alpha male tendencies.
It makes me wonder at the type of rehab programme he undertook, sounded to me more like a bootcamp type exercise... Might be some clues there.. not sure until a few facts are released... in a few years time..
That observation about more bootcamp than rehab. Very interesting!.

Location of the knife.

LE has said they do not have the knife. We know that his apartment in Pullman was searched and his parents house in PA.

All speculation, moo:

I think he either immediately disposed of the knife, tossed it out the car window, into a body or water, random dumpster or trash can, whatever, on his way home to his apartment after the murders.

Or, more likely, imo, he kept it and hid it somewhere he believes is clever. I'm reminded of the Mel Ignatow case. Ignatow had kept some of his victim's jewelry (that was quite valuable) and there were pictures taken when the crime was occurring. The undeveloped film was also there. It wasn't found until after Ignatow was acquitted, when his former house had some work done. Taped up into duct work that had been covered with carpet.

I think BK may have documented the crime or the aftermath. Maybe a cheap digital camera, or even a burner phone with a camera. I think he may have kept souvenirs that he's stashed, expecting/hoping someone finds them five, 10, 20 years from now. He possibly has some HVAC knowledge and think of all the buildings he may have been in since the murders. Could be anywhere. Taped under a urinal at a rest stop on I-80 for instance. Unlike Ignatow, I think BK would want them found at some point, though.

I think he's going to play games with this whole case. I was really surprised that he waived extradition. I think his comment, if accurate, "Was anyone else arrested?" and telling his extradition attorney that he looked forward to being exonerated is all a big mind game to him. I think he sees this as his greatest research project, and will come up with what he believes is a brilliant defense. Will he say his DNA was there because he was having some sort of relationship with one of the victims? A secret tryst?

I hope I'm wrong, and he just pleads to spare himself the death penalty, so the families and the community don't have to go through a prolonged trial. I think BK will do everything possible, though, to make this a spectacle for his own entertainment.

all MOO

Last edited:
Contained in something tall and narrow? something public or semi public?
I wonder whether the handle was curved or straight?
Thinking one of those fixtures placed around parking things with removable heads that might be lights?
In the Elizabeth Sullivan case out of San Diego, her husband hid his knife in the rafters of the attic of military housing. The home was searched several times and LE missed it. It wasn’t until a year or more later that they finally found the knife. So - maybe it is hidden somewhere like that. Her husband is now convicted of the crime.

any chance BK registered the Elantra with WSU with an incorrect yr?
Interesting question
If the request for information from the public came from WSU registration records of BK with the incorrect year that implies a LOT

It implies LE already had a connection between the car observed at the scene/ and possibly video to BCK’s car

If they had that link- no reason to request info from the public.

So, No, I don‘t buy that he registered his Elantra with WSU using the incorrect year.
What I think is the differences between Elantra models are very slight, making the year range virtually useless to anyone other than person’s who work with Elantras regularly.

JMO

In the Elizabeth Sullivan case out of San Diego, her husband hid his knife in the rafters of the attic of military housing. The home was searched several times and LE missed it. It wasn’t until a year or more later that they finally found the knife. So - maybe it is hidden somewhere like that. Her husband is now convicted of the crime.
I think it will indeed be hidden almost right out in the open..
That is if the precautions or actions he took subsequent to the massacre were intended to challenge LE as much as covering himself. Thanks MamaZ.

“First and foremost we care deeply for the four families who have lost their precious children. There are no words that can adequately express the sadness we feel, and we pray each day for them,” the family said in a statement released by his public defender Jason LaBar.

“We will continue to let the legal process unfold and as a family we will love and support our son and brother.
“We have fully cooperated with law enforcement agencies in an attempt to seek the truth and promote his presumption of innocence rather than judge unknown facts and make erroneous assumptions. We respect privacy in this matter as our family and the families suffering loss can move forward through the legal process.
[snip]

In a press conference on Friday announcing the arrest, Moscow Police Chief James Fry said that investigators believe they have the sole person responsible for the killings in custody.
“We have an individual in custody who committed these horrible crimes and I do believe our community is safe, but we still need to be vigilant,” he said.
Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger drove across US with father before arrest – live

Maybe he did not expect people to be sharing rooms and planned to commit one murder and thought he’d be in and out, get away with it and do it again in the future…but by killing 4 the FBI had to get involved and hence he was up against more than just the local LE!

Also he did not expect his car to be seen on CCTV, would be very interesting to know if he always took his car home for the holidays, or was this out of the ordinary as seems a big effort including his Dad flying to join him on the long journey when he could just fly home for the hols :

I think he must've expected his car to be seen but that there's so many white Elantras and that his was registered in PA, that it wouldn't matter.
I saw somewhere that there's 90 white Elantras registered for student parking in UoI campus. Add that figure to locals within 100 miles radius and I guess you're in the hundreds.

It was the DNA that got him, I'm certain of that.
Otherwise the FBI may not have even looked at him.
They were probably working through a database of 100s of white Elantras owners when the DNA results came in. Cross-referencing them with known offenders and criminals etc. He may not have even been on their radar.

The genealogy then narrowed it down to just him.
Then they probably got his DNA from his apartment or one of his close family, then they were certain.

It'll be interesting to see what DNA he left behind as I'm certain he wore gloves.

This is just MO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members