ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 47

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[…]

MONROE COUNTY, Penn. - Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger's family is "shocked" and doesn't believe he slaughtered four college students, according to a report.

"They don’t believe it to be Bryan. They can’t believe this," Monroe County Chief Public Defender Jason LaBar told NBC News. "They’re obviously shocked. This is certainly completely out of character, the allegations, and really they’re just trying to be supportive with the understanding that these four families have suffered loss."

The attorney added that the Washington State University Ph.D. student-turned-accused mass murderer told him he believes he will be found not guilty.

"He believes he’s going to be exonerated. That’s what he believes," said LaBar, who has visited Kohberger four times since his arrest. "Those were his words. He’s been very easy to talk to. Actually, he’s in a calm demeanor."

The public defender, who will not represent Kohberger once he returns to Idaho, described his client as "calm and polite despite knowing the death penalty is on the table" in an interview with ABC News.

He quoted his client as saying to him, "This will be a long process." The Monroe County Correctional Facility, which has kept Kohberger in a suicide vest, has been accommodating of his vegan diet, LaBar said.

The accused killer asked to speak with his parents, but the request was declined, the attorney added.

[…]

So he's going for an insanity defense? Delusional? MOO.

I can answer this. I can also answer why I would NEVER want my DNA to be used for anything. DNA can be replicated. Also, we leave our DNA EVERYWHERE. So, for example, you go to a party, to a bar, to the grocery store, etc... All of those places are potential crime scenes right? I really don't want my DNA matched every time there is a crime scene somewhere and I may have casually been there. JMO
But they dont bring in EVERY person or EVERY DNA they find. Old school detective work and common sense plays here.
I dunno, it still baffles me. DNA is the most specific way to narrow down. A match is virtually impossible to be anyone else.

I mean if you didnt do the crime, DNA will 99.99% of the time wont say you did.

Fascinating. I’m speculating, repeat, totally speculating, that the court order to halt the cleanup of the murder house was due to a defense request. Which would mean that BK had someone lined up immediately to handle his case. Which would mean he anticipated that he may be arrested.

But, that would mean he’d have had to have his dad or someone obtain an Idaho attorney immediately upon being arrested or prior.

Is that even possible?
I have never really bought any of the "the police are just doing XYZ to give him a false sense of security" theories, but in this case I do have to wonder if maybe it was just a ruse...possibly even just to distract local media? It seems extremely coincidental that it was halted at the last minute just as he was arrested. Totally just speculating!!

I think that it wasn’t a fight—it was a one-sided slaughter.

I think that a defense attorney use of the ‘no scratches’ argument might backfire. The prosecution could really make the point that these were helpless victims, asleep in their own beds, three of them petite girls, whose arms might not even be long enough to reach his face, if he’s holding them down.

MOO

I can think of several reasons his face doesn't appear to have visible scratches.

I don't know how tall Ethan was, but the girls definitely had much shorter arms than BK. It's hard to scratch what you can't reach. MOO

If the first blow is a deep stab wound, a sleeping person would probably instinctively reach toward the wound before thinking to strike out at the attacker. Think about someone having a heart attack or being sucker-punched in the head. The first instinct is to grab the painful area and protect or deflect. MOO

I wouldn't be surprised if he wore a leather mask, both for protection and heightened intimidation. Even a thick ski mask would offer enough protection to avoid deep scratches that couldn't be hidden by facial hair. Surface abrasions would heal within a week or so if treated with antibiotic ointment. MOO

Well…as far as the PUBLIC is aware. At that point in the game notifying the public would most likely interfere and jeopardize any chance of apprehension. It was a NTK basis. The public is definitely in the NOT category. JMOO.
Would they have allowed him to move out of Idaho had they identified him while in Washington?

I’m going to say this regarding intelligence, we all can be experts if we’re singly center ourselves on that subject. Intelligent people are more rounded individuals. In the sense of being able to manage all facets of life. He may be an “expert” who purports to be intelligent• Big difference in my opinion.
And now days, it can’t be THAT easy to get way with killing 4 people intelligent or not intelligent. I often think about murderers when I have a random really heavy cycle one month. I’m like blood is really really hard to clean. And during the first few weeks of Covid i thought about them too. I was like my gosh this sanitizing thing is a pain in the rear. Trying to not leave DNA evidence behind must be impossible. & With all the long dark hair that i lose all over the place, they’d nab me in a second!

It’s funny because he looks exactly how i expected he’d look tall lean but fit. Not a high bmi (low fat diet) but not emaciated- how a healthy 28 year old should look. You could tell by the muscles in his face that he had muscles but low fat but wasn’t emaciated.

Exactly. I saw him as muscular all along because his low body fat let us see his muscles (neck and face muscles are very well defined, things like running tone the whole body).

At the same time, a very low fat diet can be unhealthy for the brain. And it should go without saying that a lower protein diet is terrible for the brain. His muscle development makes me think he found good sources of vegetable protein, but may still have physiological issues in his brain related to a very low fat diet. OTOH, there are great vegan fats. Maybe his diet is absolutely stellar (omega fatty acids from some non animal source; lots of nuts and legumes, etc). His diet would be low in dietary cholesterol and low dietary cholesterol is associated with some aspects of better brain function.

So it's possible he is at the peak of his game, both mentally and physically. I do wonder how he'll withstand days and days of being confined in a cell, no more 7 mile runs, no more night walks, no more going out to observe people in bars and shops, no digital contact with professors or others, etc, etc. Quite the abrupt change in lifestyle - and now the food! They aren't going to go out looking for protein enriched nut butters for him - or will they?

IMO any lawyer representing the defendant must be licensed to practice law in Idaho or waive in under I.B.C.R 227 with local counsel that is licensed in Idaho ("pro hac vice"). Also, any court appointed attorney must be death penalty qualified and there will need to be two attorneys appointed that are so qualified...IMO
Do you think any big named reputable (with winning murder trials) defense lawyers will take this on pro bono for the publicity? I'm hoping not...

Fascinating. I’m speculating, repeat, totally speculating, that the court order to halt the cleanup of the murder house was due to a defense request. Which would mean that BK had someone lined up immediately to handle his case. Which would mean he anticipated that he may be arrested.

But, that would mean he’d have had to have his dad or someone obtain an Idaho attorney immediately upon being arrested or prior.

Is that even possible?
I wish the story had ID'd his Idaho lawyer. Or did I miss it?

Idaho Statutes

(1) A sentence of death shall not be imposed unless the prosecuting attorney filed written notice of intent to seek the death penalty with the court and served the notice upon the defendant or his attorney of record no later than sixty (60) days after entry of a plea.

Also, in Idaho, the Judge decides the penalty of life in prison or death.
Looks like Idaho has not executed anyone since 2012, and before that it has not been used often.

Which is the most interesting point of discussion, IMO. This man was exceptionally intent on committing murder. Mass murder. Now it's possible that he only intended to kill two women, but ended up killing four people as a result of his own choice of house.

But I don't think this was a rage case, at all. It was not a frenzied, angry, rage-filled attack. Instead, it was a colder emotion, like hate. He thinks of himself as an intellectual, probably because he mostly only accesses his thoughts in an intellectual fashion. I wonder if he has ever done something for purely sentimental reasons (like decorate his apartment with meaningful items that evoke happy memories). I wonder if he has ever gone to an arboretum and just soaked up the beauty of it. Or picked a wildflower and put it in a vase. I wonder if he ever stops to admire a puppy or kitten.

I am guessing he's very very low on both dopamine and oxytocin (the biochemistry of happiness and warm feeling). We know that any regular use of heroin can make it hard for the brain to restore levels of those chemicals.

He made this into a kind of competitive sport for himself, these murders. He nursed and nourished his hatred. He probably read things that made him hate even more, but he stayed cool, not clenched fist, scorching rage. IMO.
Now that is a solid read. It was a pleasure reading this post. Especially the “heroine addiction” connection to a possible causation for the emotional disconnect being described in the press (by those professing to know BK). Prolonged usage of such a narcotic has been reported to damage such neuro-chemical receptors (often times permanently).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member