ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fascinating. I’m speculating, repeat, totally speculating, that the court order to halt the cleanup of the murder house was due to a defense request. Which would mean that BK had someone lined up immediately to handle his case. Which would mean he anticipated that he may be arrested.

But, that would mean he’d have had to have his dad or someone obtain an Idaho attorney immediately upon being arrested or prior.

Is that even possible?

Great post. Sounds that way to me too. There's now an unidentified lawyer (surely a public defender would be named?) leading a set of defense crime scene investigators through the house.

Glad they didn't do the remediation (they're glad, I'm glad). Of course, most of the evidence of merit is not still at the house, but it is definitely right for the attorney to get on top of it.

Sounds like a private lawyer. Hmmm. We shall soon learn more.

IMHO I fully believe that people deserve a fair trial. However, I am keeping my fingers crossed that some famous or new defense attorney does not show up to take on this case. It is my understanding that insanity defenses are not the easiest to win but I am wondering if some form of diminished mental capacity may be presented. What is allowed in the court of law will likely be a big deal for this case. I'm looking forward to how the WS community pulls information together.

IMHO I fully believe that people deserve a fair trial. However, I am keeping my fingers crossed that some famous or new defense attorney does not show up to take on this case. It is my understanding that insanity defenses are not the easiest to win but I am wondering if some form of diminished mental capacity may be presented. What is allowed in the court of law will likely be a big deal for this case. I'm looking forward to how the WS community pulls information together.

There is no insanity defense in Idaho.

Mental health can be brought up during the sentencing phase.

Idaho Statutes

(1) A sentence of death shall not be imposed unless the prosecuting attorney filed written notice of intent to seek the death penalty with the court and served the notice upon the defendant or his attorney of record no later than sixty (60) days after entry of a plea.

Also, in Idaho, the Judge decides the penalty of life in prison or death.
IMO...the only time a judge would decide the penalty in a death sentence case would be if the defendant waived their right to a jury trial. Even after a court trial during the guilt phase, the statute requires a jury trial for the sentencing phase unless the defendant waives that right to a jury specifically. If a jury decides the guilt phase of the case, they also must decide the sentencing phase. See I.C. 19-2515.

IMO...it would be rare for an attorney to waive a jury in a death penalty case, in either phase...IMO

Plus, he could have been wearing a mask

I think he went to school to work the next day, didn't he? Students noticed beard growth but no mention of injuries, IIRC. If the beard growth statement was true, it makes me think he may have thought he was possibly spotted on the door cam, if he possibly made a hasty exit (a neighbor saw the door open to the first floor around 8:30 a.m.), or was seen in the car.

He'd surely not leave a door open going inside, and a door open on the exit, and the tire marks, combined, make me think hasty exit. I do think he cleaned up inside, just based on statements from those inside the scene and the comments of victim(s)' families. He then got spooked and left quickly. Not the same way he entered, which I have always thought was through the sliders. JM2 JMTheory.

There is speculation that the two men could have communicated. Or, rather, BK attempted to communicate with BTK. That's what the article I read stated. I'm about to leave now, but can try to dig it up. JMO.

Here it is: BTK killer's daughter sickened to discover Bryan Kohberger studied father
That headline is misleading. The story does not say that BK studied Dennis Rader. It merely says that BK took a class where the professor had communication with Dennis Rader.

IMO insanity would be difficult except for a death sentence determination.

That headline is misleading. The story does not say that BK studied Dennis Rader. It merely says that BK took a class where the professor had communication with Dennis Rader.
I think the whole subject is overblown. Chances are if you study criminology, you studied a serial killer. Also, there is a good chance that you had a well know prof that studied serial killers and probably writes books. Most social science tenured profs publish.

I'll be joining you with the popcorn. Almost all of us have had an experience of becoming a fan of someone, often unexpectedly or out of the blue. Many of my favorite bands are not anyone else's favorite bands and I cannot actually explain well why 1) I *love* them and 2) I *chose* them. I just know I admire and love them. Something "clicked" in my mind when I heard them. Same with my favorite authors.

I have no favorite serial killers. I don't usually follow threads here on WS about serial killers. I unsubscribed from other crime forums regarding serial killers. I don't even have my copies of the Ann Rule books I read about serial killers. I've never "clicked" with a serial killer - the opposite. They appall me.

But imagine a person like BK, who instead of falling in love/admiration with a band or a book, falls in love with the life history and mind of a serial killers. "That's me!" his inner self cries out. "I have found my people! I am not alone!" (Just how I feel about my favorite fictional characters - none of whom are criminals; one of them is David Copperfield, as an example).

I believe BCK had this experience with more than one serial killer. The way some people cathect to sports, a particular team, a particular player. It's an ordinary experience for most of us. Today, people do fall into complex parasocial relationships with criminals. I believe BCK is one of those people.

IMO.
I couldn’t agree more. He was always searching for his “tribe” … and once he discovered them, he fully immersed himself in all things killers. SK’s and MM’s fascinate in such an appalling and reprehensible manner in the eyes of the masses. I can’t imagine a world where they wouldn’t be exposed, ostracized, and held to the fringe of a healthy society.

IMO

There is no insanity defense in Idaho.

Mental health can be brought up during the sentencing phase.
I was shocked to hear no insanity defense in Idaho, I thought that was allowed everywhere (I'm in Canada).

However, we had an extremely heinous crime here where a man (Vince Li) was off his meds IIRC during the crime and now he free when he should not be. Part of me thinks there is definitely a time and place for that defense! Another discussion and off topic... But now I have to look up other states that don't have this, as am curious now.

And now days, it can’t be THAT easy to get way with killing 4 people intelligent or not intelligent. I often think about murderers when I have a random really heavy cycle one month. I’m like blood is really really hard to clean. And during the first few weeks of Covid i thought about them too. I was like my gosh this sanitizing thing is a pain in the rear. Trying to not leave DNA evidence behind must be impossible. & With all the long dark hair that i lose all over the place, they’d nab me in a second!
OMG - I thought it was just me that had these thoughts. I always go well damn, I suck at cleaning this up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandrz717