ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 47

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure a personal motive will ever be known. He will plead innocent and not offer a motive.

IMO there are unlimited options.
- could have picked based upon observance
- could have made a unsuccessful pass, it has bee stated that he did not pick up social cues. I also remember a statement that girls were especially hard on him in school. In general I haven't seen women go out of their way to bully unpopular males without some factors. Might have been as simple as him attempted to enter a circle that he was not welcome.
- could have been uninvited to their house party , been asked to leave and offended
- I know the thought is the girls were the target. Could have been to Sigma Chi party and been booted for not being invited. Followed XK and EC home for revenge.
- Might have been in the restaurant that MM and KC worked had them as servers and felt jilted.
- might be the incel type that just wanted revenge on attractive outgoing women.

If we find a reason it will probably be proposed by prosecution. Cell phone pings that show who he followed or came in contact with. I would imagine that the computer forensics may show who he watched on social media.

Yes there are -

"Cell phone pings that show who he followed or came in contact with."

Bryan Kohberger stalked Idaho victims before murders, wore gloves in grocery store weeks afterward: report

Cellphone data shows that Bryan Kohberger, 28, was often in the same location as the three sorority sisters and one of their boyfriends before he allegedly slashed them to death as they apparently slept at an off-campus house, a source close to one of the case’s investigators told the Daily Mail.

Kohberger also seemed to be careful about not leaving fingerprints in public even as he fled to his native state of Pennsylvania in recent days, the anonymous source told the outlet Sunday.

“He’s not stupid and has been very careful,” said the source, who claimed to be “good friends” with one of the cops who had surveilled the murder suspect in the days before his arrest.

A little more from pre-hearing chat with experts:

Dr. Debbie Goodman, criminologist, says Bryan will be transported back to Idaho by a private, contracted jet. He won't be on a commercial flight.

When asked why Bryan went back to Pennsylvania, she said that criminals return to where they can find unconditional love, where parents are likely to say, "I love you....no matter what."

She was asked how Bryan can get a fair trial and she said that those selected for jury duty are likely to feel it is a privilege/honor and will be the kind of people who can set aside preconceived notions to listen with an open mind.

If he is indeed 6'0 and 185 lbs, but looks that slim, that speaks to quite a bit of muscle/strength IMO. especially with rage involved
IMO it wasn't that difficult to commit the act. At first I thought it was an impossibility, however, after the event I note my state when waking. It awoken quickly, it takes some time to adjust. The challenge would have been XK and EC. It has been reported that XK had defensive wounds. IMO EC was disabled first which allowed XK some time to wake and defend.

If the attack started while sleeping, I can't imagine waking and being able to quickly deduce what was occurring. In addition the had all been drinking, it appears heavily, and would have been further affected while waking during an attack.

I don't like thinking of the sequence, however, he may have covered mouths to keep from screaming and waking others. This could also been a source for transferring DNA.

IMO only

Reloading citation. I enlarged the .jpeg, and tried to sharpen it.

View attachment 392090
I'm curious about the location of the citation. Does it say W Pullman and some cross street, Moscow?

Just wondering if he was close to King? (Highly doubt he was stalking then, because he had likely just arrived in town, but you never know)

Wow - yes, but they would have had to know his name first.

Here's my list of at least 10 ways the prosecution is going to nail him:

1. Car caught on camera night of murders and other movements of the car
2. Car contains DNA evidence and blood from victims and will be damning all by itself
3. Victim DNA will be found in his possession at his apartment
4. Geofencing/digital evidence will put him in the same areas as some of the victims for 2-3 weeks before the murders, if not more; stalking will be a component here
5. Internet searches (gained by warrants for the major search engine companies) will reveal he researched details of his crime
6. There will be receipts/evidence of purchase of various elements that went into the crime, possibly including the knife
7. His DNA matches stranger DNA found in the intimate zone of the murders (Lucky #7 for LE)
8. Fiber analysis will show he drove the Elantra and those fibers are also inside the crime scene
9. Character witnesses will speak to his volatility and attitudes towards women; Prof B may be put on the stand to state in court that she bent the rules for him to get his Master's and she may be asked if she now feels manipulated by him - and she will say yes, citing the fact that she never knew him personally when she said he was so smart (she's already doing that publicly)
10. His phone use will show a dramatic lack of use in the hours leading up to the murders; regular use of it will resume the next day; experts will testify he left it on youtube autoplay at home as a kind of alibi and that such usage by him is not typical

There could be more. DNA from drains in the murder house; DNA from sink trap in his house. The list is going to be very long and even 1-2 of these things would make many juries convict. His defense is going to go for a plea bargain or some other method of reducing sentencing. He probably wants a trial and will likely get one and reject attorney advice about a plea bargain. Whoever defends him, I bet he'll be one of their most difficult clients of all time.
The prosecution should call you.

I'm curious about the location of the citation. Does it say W Pullman and some cross street, Moscow?

Just wondering if he was close to King? (Highly doubt he was stalking then, because he had likely just arrived in town, but you never know)

And what time was it?

Not sure why it's being said that he's only been charged on 2 of the murders. From the presser:

Chief - Thank you for coming today. Last night in conjunction with the Pennsylvania State Police, Federal Bureau of Investigation, detectives arrested 28 yr. old Bryan Christopher Kohberger in Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, on a warrant for murder of Ethan, Xana, Madison and Kaylee. I want to personally thank these agencies for their assistance in this case.

While I do believe that there are body language experts who can try to discern things from the way someone looks or holds themselves, I always find it interesting when people start ascribing good/evil traits to individuals on the basis of a photograph or short video. I believe studies have been done where the photos of criminals/victims are swapped for one another and people still say the one they think is the criminal looks evil, while the one they think is the victim looks angelic. Just human nature I guess.
Thank you for saying this. If someone saw a photo of me with a blank expression on my face, I shudder to think what they would say about me.

Would someone (v patient) be able to explain to me in words of few syllables the implications of what’s just happened?

And why he might have made that decision?

Not sure why it's being said that he's only been charged on 2 of the murders. From the presser:

Chief - Thank you for coming today. Last night in conjunction with the Pennsylvania State Police, Federal Bureau of Investigation, detectives arrested 28 yr. old Bryan Christopher Kohberger in Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, on a warrant for murder of Ethan, Xana, Madison and Kaylee. I want to personally thank these agencies for their assistance in this case.

Strongest evidence? I wonder if they found any DNA mixture of his with 2 victims, so the strongest charges to hold up in court.

IMO it wasn't that difficult to commit the act. At first I thought it was an impossibility, however, after the event I note my state when waking. It awoken quickly, it takes some time to adjust. The challenge would have been XK and EC. It has been reported that XK had defensive wounds. IMO EC was disabled first which allowed XK some time to wake and defend.

If the attack started while sleeping, I can't imagine waking and being able to quickly deduce what was occurring. In addition the had all been drinking, it appears heavily, and would have been further affected while waking during an attack.

I don't like thinking of the sequence, however, he may have covered mouths to keep from screaming and waking others. This could also been a source for transferring DNA.

IMO only
6 185 isn slim. judging from his forearms and biceps hes in good shape.

This article has a good explanation and also seals the deal if you think you are safe because you think nobody close to you submitted a sample. Its very technical but to summarize it- you're screwed if you left behind a complete DNA profile and they resort to a genealogical search.

How lucky was the genetic investigation in the Golden State Killer case? Michael (Doc) Edge & Graham Coop Center for Population Biology, University of California, Davis Department of Evolution and Ecology, University of California, Davis

Yep. People can resist having their own DNA in the system all they want, but genetic genealogy provides several ways of tying a person to a crime through DNA.

All individual DNA comes from two and only two people: Mom and Dad. If you have their DNA, you can get a complete match with the individual in question. Siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, half siblings, first, second and third cousins, great grandparents, etc, all will eventually lead to a short list of possibilities using 1) the DNA from those relatives either by gaining it from trash or similar or from GEDMatch or both and 2) public documents (marriage and birth records in particular.

Example: two cousins are in GEDMatch. Their birth certificates list their parents, and their parents' birth certificate list the grandparents that the perp and the two cousins share. Then a genealogist uses something like Ancestry or public records requests and works back down so that every descendant of Grandma and Grandpa are on a list.

Then the list is narrowed by known sex of the perp and the place where it occurred. It's usually just a list of one person by then. Follow that person or persons around until you get some found DNA from then and they're cooked, it's done.

Jennifer Coffindaffer, retired FBI agent, in discussion with WFLA reporter before the Tuesday hearing, says she thinks the defense team representatives taking only about an hour to inspect the home of the crime scene might mean that Bryan is cooperating. Not sure I understand her assumption.

Jennifer said Bryan's commission of the crime was "somewhat flawless" in that it took so much LE energy to make this arrest: 60+ FBI agents, Moscow police and Idaho police. Not sure I agree with her assessment. This arrest was FAST, in my opinion.

Cofffindaffer was asked what she thought about Bryan asking if anyone else was arrested. She said the comment was either a spontaneous question or maybe he was trying to throw off LE by implying there was someone else involved.

Bryan is only being charged with a single count of murder right now because all they have to show is that they have what's needed to prove probable cause against one individual to get Bryan off the streets.
I thought he was being charged with 4 counts?

There is definitely a lot more to this that isn't obvious to me yet-

They knew to follow him but didn't have enough to arrest him. If they had had a familial tree that included him from GED and knew he owned a white Elantra he would have been under arrest.

If they didn't have the tree constructed yet then how did they know to devote the resources to follow him?
From the white Elantra I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member