ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
by the time we all noticed that Chief Fry was looking refreshed & had twinkle in his eye?

seriously tho, loads of v experienced former LEOs I've listened to believe it was quite late
I think quite late too and after the departure on Dec11.
People have been saying that they knew immediately and had him under full surveillance while in Washington , like for weeks but LE never said that, did they? They only said 4 days in Penn.
It wouldn't have made any sense to let him drive away had they identified him well in advance of the trip, would it?

Possibly the 4 day track in Penn was about the murder weapon in case he planned on hiding it there.

That was a helluva twinkle tho':)

The light used in taking a photograph makes a big difference in whether healed or healing bruises or scratches can be seen.

Mug shots are not usually taken by a forensic photographer. They are usually taken under flat white light (and quite a bit of light).

Here's a book on how lighting techniques affect the ability of forensic examiners to see scratches, bruises or other less visible injuries:

P. 226 gives a very interesting example of a healing wound that was virtually invisible. First image is reference (ordinary) lighting. The others are done by a forensic photographer which, I will bet a whole box of donuts, is what they did with BCK, probably or possibly before his mug shot.

And they will likely do the photography again in Idaho. Notice how the technique called "reflective UV" gives good results of wound shape even months later, when to ordinary photography the wound looks healed. Reflective UV is used in anthropological digs and to study marks on old bones as well (as long as some even more sensitive techniques that can only be used on the deceased). At any rate, we have a reflective UV light at my public college's anthro lab (no criminology program; not that many people going into forensics; not all that expensive).

So, my suggestion is to NOT use mug shots as your forensic evidence as a websleuth. Keep in mind that there are forensic investigators with techniques that can reveal convincingly to a jury that the defendant had past wounds.

As for wound healing times, I'll try and put something together soon. I got a good scratch 12 hours ago, and I'm way older than BCK, but I bet my ordinary light photos will not show it in 10 days. Maybe less.

Thank you @10ofRods. I always learn a lot from your informative posts.

BBMFF

Ut oh, if this is true, I hope this does not become a problem during trial. Anyone in the legal field care to chirp in here?

I’m not in the legal field, but that bolded sentence refers to another case, quite a while in the past.

LE would use GEDmatch. It happily allows LE use, and the DNA comes from people who have allowed its use. (Opt in.)

We also don’t have an official release yet of exactly how they found him. Very soon, I hope!

MOO

Doesn't matter now that they have the actual man in question. HE has his own DNA and now he's been compelled to give it up as part of his arrest.

It will match what is at the scene and that's all that matters. Jury may never hear about the actual techniques used behind the scenes to try and find and arrest this guy. They will hear the evidence presented by prosecution about how he DOES match the DNA at the crime scene.

There will be maps and visual aids. It will probably show quite a bit of DNA evidence of his genome inside the intimate zone of these murders.

IMO. Not a lawyer, but do follow trials involving DNA pretty closely when I can.

What do you think the chances are that PA police or the FBI tailed him and grabbed a disposed cup, spoon, napkin or anything else that might yield a DNA profile to confirm Familial? I'd imagine that after a familial match they'd want a directly extracted profile ahead of arrest. Or maybe there were no other possible alternatives in his family (WA area resident, male, etc) that could have been a hit.

Doesn't matter now that they have the actual man in question. HE has his own DNA and now he's been compelled to give it up as part of his arrest.

It will match what is at the scene and that's all that matters. Jury may never hear about the actual techniques used behind the scenes to try and find and arrest this guy. They will hear the evidence presented by prosecution about how he DOES match the DNA at the crime scene.

There will be maps and visual aids. It will probably show quite a bit of DNA evidence of his genome inside the intimate zone of these murders.

IMO. Not a lawyer, but do follow trials involving DNA pretty closely when I can.
Thank you. Much appreciated as always.

It occurred to me when I read this that Kohberger's alleged statement "I'm 10 miles away from this" is quite precise. I just searched for his actual apartment address (couldn't locate it) to plug into Google Maps with the murder location to know the actual distance. I discovered a FOX News article stating "The Idaho school is less than 10 miles from Washington State University in Pullman, Washington, where Kohberger is listed as PhD student." (Idaho murders: Police serve search warrant at Bryan Christopher Kohberger's home in Pullman, WA).

Now I'm really curious as to the exact distance between his apartment and the murder scene, because of his alleged statement; it's curious to me that he named an actual distance. I mean, "I live close to this" would have sufficed.
12.6 miles would have been way more suspicious though

Cold, cold eyes. Nothing in them but evilness.

I do not think he's repulsive at all. But, holy hell, this look right here is downright terrifying!
View attachment 392034

Even if he wore a mask his eyes would have to be exposed, so it hurts my heart to know these eyes were the last thing the victims ever saw.

And whatever the look in his eyes at the moments of murdering each one, I tremble to even imagine, because it had to have been even so much worse.

IMO

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But familial dna is not a specific kind of test. It's just a method of searching using a whole or partial DNA profile.

The threshold may require less to get a hit somewhere on the family tree. But it's not a separate or new test on a sample.
This article has a good explanation and also seals the deal if you think you are safe because you think nobody close to you submitted a sample. Its very technical but to summarize it- you're screwed if you left behind a complete DNA profile and they resort to a genealogical search.

How lucky was the genetic investigation in the Golden State Killer case? Michael (Doc) Edge & Graham Coop Center for Population Biology, University of California, Davis Department of Evolution and Ecology, University of California, Davis

Agreed. I don't see BK acting like this. I saw the interview with the woman, and it sounded like:

1) She was genuinely mistaken about the taunting/disruptive person being BK...or
2) Someone else was acting like this & she knew it wasn't BK, but wanted her 15 minutes of fame and/or money anyway...or
3) She made the whole story up.

In any case, the story smells like B.S.
#2 will undoubtedly bring the wild out of the woodwork. That 15 minutes is all they ever dream about, so I expect anyone and everyone to start telling such stories to grab a few Pennie’s and some national exposure. As long as none of it poisons the well water…the facts will come out in court. Jmoo

The ISP pull overs might also have been staged ( FBI in ISP uniforms to get some body cam to double check, if, for example, one of the two was snoozing on the back seat?)
RSBM.

IMO, as long as the traffic stops for speeding and tail-gating were legitimate, if BK was driving they could also have swabbed his driver’s license for touch DNA since he would have surrendered it voluntarily. Sort of like the “can I see your unlocked phone?” ploy. Surely by then they already had a warrant to collect it anyway.

MOO. IANAL but I’m interested in what our lawyers here think about this.

Have we seen any of the extradition process paperwork/ filings today (involving the governor’s offices, etc)?

All MOO-

I can’t help but to keep wondering what the motive here was.

I’ve thought about this a great deal over the last week.

Was he just born a brutal murderer or did he do it just to see if he could after getting caught up and obsessed with murderers and killing through his research and decide he wanted to kill others from this? Was it mental illness triggered? Was it obsession based on envy? Did childhood and years of bullying play a part to knock him over the edge?

I’m interested to hear what others think motive is.

Me personally, after hearing more about him over the last week…. I’m curious if these brutal senseless murders were research and career based.

I know it sounds crazy but hear me out.

As we all know he went to Desales for undergrad and one of his teachers was famed author and expert Katherine Ramsland.

We know from interviews with friends he seems to have struggled to fit in and was bullied often and struggled socially.

He was proud of his intelligence.

Proud of his research and career plans. Took this very seriously.

What if he studied what launched Dr. Ramsland career and success. Was envious of her success and wanted to be just like her. She is respected in both academia and in the public for her expertise in criminology and knowledge of the mind of murderers and serial killers. Has worked first hand with some of the worlds most famous killers and researched and written about them.

Again, hear me out. MOO.

What if motive for BK is fast track fame and respect from peers, criminology academia and the world for his research and help in investigating the high profile brutal murder of 4 young college students.

What if he did this to become the expert on the case? No one could put the pieces together better than the man who committed the mirders.

No one could frame someone better than the person who committed the murders.

No one benefits from knowledge and expertise of these types of murders than a criminology PhD students who is striving to achieve the level of respect and admiration as his former professor. After years of bullying and lack of confidence.

Committing these murders and eventually working himself into the research of them could fast track his career goals. Help him achieve the respect and admiration he so badly desires.

Maybe after committing the murders he realized he forgot some important factors with his mistakes which led to his ultimate capture. But also made it impossible for him to insert himself in the case and research it to become the local case criminologist expert….

I know it sounds far fetched… but when trying to consider a reason for motive that could benefit him in any way… (leaving out the possibility he did it purely because he lacks a conscience and had a desire to kill for no reason, which is still highly possible)…

But something about him… tells me he did this for a reason.

Most murders do not start off with a quadruple homicide. Mass murderers wanting recognition yes.

So why wouldn’t he start off with just one person? If indeed he did it with just a desire to kill based off his obsession turned desire for murder?

For me there has to be something to the fact he started off with such a large scale brutal murder. (My feelings will change significantly if we learn this wasn’t his first time killing someone) but for now… with only knowledge of these being his first time killing… I cannot help to wonder why? Why so many people at once?

It will be interesting to find out what that reason was.

Please share your thoughts. Am I overthinking it, reaching too hard?

I wonder if he knew what he was, and was either trying to find ways to understand, and stop his compulsion(s), or find ways to live his life, covered by a LEO career. Ramsland studied serial killer, and co-wrote a book about, BTK (Dennis Rader). BTK is said to have known what he was early on. BTK led a successful double life for many years.
----
As part of his prior studies at DeSales University, Kohberger worked under the tutelage of BTK expert Dr. Katherine Ramsland, a fact that shocked the infamous serial killer's daughter after news of Kohberger's arrest broke Friday.

Rader's daughter Kerri Rawson revealed on Twitter over the weekend that she became sick to her stomach when she learned of the connection.

Ramsland is an expert on serial killers and has, or had, both an academic relationship and friendship with Rader, Rawson says ...

IN 1974, DENNIS Rader – who would later be better known as the Bind, Torture, Kill, or BTK Killer – stalked and murdered a family of four in their home in Wichita, Kansas. These were the first of 10 murders over three decades, which came to a climactic end in 2005, when a cat-and-mouse game with the police resulted in his arrest.

This article has a good explanation and also seals the deal if you think you are safe because you think nobody close to you submitted a sample. Its very technical but to summarize it- you're screwed if you left behind a complete DNA profile and they resort to a genealogical search.

How lucky was the genetic investigation in the Golden State Killer case? Michael (Doc) Edge & Graham Coop Center for Population Biology, University of California, Davis Department of Evolution and Ecology, University of California, Davis

I don't ever plan on ever committing a crime. But my sisters and a bunch of cousins have all given up the goods. On Ancestry, 23andMe and GEDMatch and have opted in for all of the options.

Thanks for the link I'll definitely check it out!

You mention Ancestry, but there are others who work with them if provided the right paperwork. Good point about GEDMatch. FBI practically owns that data.

GedMatch in 2019
This week, GEDmatch, a genetic genealogy company that gained notoriety for giving law enforcement access to its customers’ DNA data, quietly informed its users it is now operated by Verogen, Inc., a company expressly formed two years ago to market “next-generation [DNA] sequencing” technology to crime labs.

vs GEDMatch Dec 2021
GedMatch is now owned by Verogen

We don't know who submitted what to whom at this point but, it seems they obtained his DNA, then took to one of these routes. I don't submit mine anywhere.

I submit no dna to any company and have enjoyed working on genealogy for many years without doing so. I don't really get it as anything but a shortcut, and putting yourself out there to make actual contact with God knows who. EG: Oh, my long-lost cousin, BK, contacted me, and is a match on my genealogy profile. He wants to come to visit! Nooo, thanks. Actually happened to a friend, but thankfully this person was not a serial killer, just a bit weird.

I'm an adoptee. It would have been very hard for me to reconstruct my biological lineage without using DNA. It's great that other people can use merely documents and such, but for some of us, DNA is crucial.

I don't care if my DNA is out there and the health results I've gotten from having my full genome run have been worth it. Indeed, it possibly saved my life (only a mild exaggeration).

It is weird to be contacted by distant relatives, and often, I do not answer. But it's easy to not have that happen on 23andme. OTOH, I learned my biofather's fascinating self-given history was actually true (I thought he might be fibbing just a bit, he was not - and his sister actually wasn't either, even though other siblings said she was lying). I also learned my dad's Y chromosome from a cousin on my paternal side and am happy that lines up with the rest of my genealogy. BTW, for those of us from communities where literacy came late (I'm half indigenous), having those results is also helping people like ourselves study certain medical issues. I've donated DNA for medical projects many times.

But I guess I understand why someone could be against it (my adopted dad surely was - and was displeased when a nephew of his went and did it anyway.)

Last edited:
What do you think the chances are that PA police or the FBI tailed him and grabbed a disposed cup, spoon, napkin or anything else that might yield a DNA profile to confirm Familial? I'd imagine that after a familial match they'd want a directly extracted profile ahead of arrest. Or maybe there were no other possible alternatives in his family (WA area resident, male, etc) that could have been a hit.
PA State Police will be holding a news conference to discuss the apprehension of BK , livestreamed @430 pmEST today.

RSBM.

IMO, as long as the traffic stops for speeding and tail-gating were legitimate, if BK was driving they could also have swabbed his driver’s license for touch DNA since he would have surrendered it voluntarily. Sort of like the “can I see your unlocked phone?” ploy. Surely by then they already had a warrant to collect it anyway.

MOO. IANAL but I’m interested in what our lawyers here think about this.
maybe

or they just pick up a discarded coffee cup he's used at one of the stops en route. That's totally legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eluluwho