ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he was such a big danger so all of 50 (!) SWAT members were sent to arrest him demolishing half of his parents' house on the way although there are no reported resistance, during that event, then why a week earlier he was let to travel by car 3 days accross the country, potentially compromising lives, health and safety of the members of general public?

Why he was not arrested whilst being in Pullman? He was a POI before started the trip, as FBI was already tailing him; he was allegedly identified as dangerous (hence the overpowering arrest).

This does not go both ways.

He was either a dangerous criminal so excessive power was indeed needed to overcome him, or or he was not.

This has to be addressed and I will not be suprised if his defence team logs a complaint/claim whatever the law recommends in such cases.

I’m certain they will have chosen to arrest him as soon as they had what they believe to be sufficient evidence to convict. They can’t go around arresting every person of interest without evidence to support doing it, and they also have to be careful to avoid putting themselves, members of the public or the suspect in danger as much as is reasonably possible. They arrested him when they could in the safest way they could arrest someone they suspect has murdered four innocent people.

Thanks for Steptoe Apartment info. I thought he lived in Pullman Apartments on WSU campus. Distance from general address of Steptoe to crime scene is 10.2, 10.7, or 10.8 miles depending on route.
so when he - allegedly- said ' I live 10 miles from this' he literally did

On that same link to Steptoe you can take an online tour. Think his room was 201, floor 2.

edited to add the link
just in case....

@NottaYutz PS Did you notice, when you were looking at GoogleMaps directions, how many minutes those routes took?

Last edited:
If he was such a big danger so all of 50 (!) SWAT members were sent to arrest him demolishing half of his parents' house on the way although there are no reported resistance, during that event, then why a week earlier he was let to travel by car 3 days accross the country, potentially compromising lives, health and safety of the members of general public?

Why he was not arrested whilst being in Pullman? He was a POI before started the trip, as FBI was already tailing him; he was allegedly identified as dangerous (hence the overpowering arrest).

He was either a dangerous criminal so excessive power was indeed needed to overcome him, or or he was not.

This has to be addressed and I will not be suprised if his defence team logs a complaint/claim whatever the law recommends in such cases.
Have LE actually stated he was a POI before the trip and if so where?

State Police are hailing their team of tactically-trained troopers who arrested the Monroe County man accused of murdering four University of Idaho students.

"They are the ultimate professionals. They are volunteers. They are highly trained and highly motivated," said Maj. Christopher Paris.

That's the State Police's Special Emergency Response Team, or SERT.

Authorities confirm some troopers on SERT used force at the suspect's home in Chestnuthill Township, breaking several windows and doors in the process.

The raid happened in the early, dark hours of Friday morning with Kohberger's parents also at home. PSP say they managed to swiftly and safely bring Kohberger into custody.

"We wanted to go in at a time when we thought it would be the safest for everybody: safest for everybody else in the house, safest for Mr. Kohberger and safest for our people," added Paris.

Paris says the FBI tipped PSP off to Kohberger's whereabouts.

I think it included LE too.
Moscow ID Police Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 3, 2023

Moscow Homicide Case Nondissemination Order

MOSCOW, Idaho – The Moscow Police Department (MPD) is providing the following information to update the public on the on-going homicide investigation and court processes.
On January 3, 2023, Latah County Magistrate Judge Megan Marshall issued a nondissemination order in regard to the murder case against Bryan C. Kohberger.
The order prohibits any communication by investigators, law enforcement personnel, attorneys, and agents of the prosecuting attorney or defense attorney concerning this case. A copy of the order can be found on our website.
Due to this court order, the Moscow Police Department will no longer be communicating with the public or the media regarding this case.

Because you can’t detain someone you suspect might be involved, you have to have proof they were and then go to the courts to get approval to arrest him.

My sense is that there are some good take aways in this article.

I have been following true crime since I have been 9 years old lol. And I am not young. So from what I have experienced and seen, I do agree that post pandemic there has been an explosion of interest in true crime evidenced by the Gabby Petito case. In some cases - and this is one of them- the online and media atmosphere becomes a total feeding frenzy and people treat the case like it's is a reality tv show. It reminds me of the Hunger Games. I find it off putting that cases are treated like a game and a competition. I see it in this case on all forums.
We all have reasons we follow true crime - some woman may follow as a means to understand how to better protect themselves, that is probably not the case with many others though, so that statement in the article definitly should have not been stated in such a broad brush fashion.

Overll some good points to ponder IMO

From the article

Post-pandemic, people are looking for ways to connect, Slakoff said.

“And people are gravitating toward true crime as a place to connect,” she said. “True crime has been around for 400 years, but it’s definitely having an explosion right now.”

A lot of the interest in true crime is from women, who see learning about violent criminals and their motivations as a way to avoid becoming victimized themselves, Slakoff said.

I do think sometimes the victims got lost in that,” Slakoff said of the online discussion. “People were treating it like a game, and it’s not.”
I am 66, so not very young, either. ha (where does the time go?). I do see what you mean. But, I don't agree with the article's statement of it all being a game to those who follow, for some sure, but I guess we will always have people like that (thinking back on some of the earliest crimes decades ago). Yes, I do agree with you that there were a few good points in that article. I do think following the news/crime stories helps the public to be more aware of their surroundings, and hopefully more safe. I don't think it has anything to do with "post-pandemic", if you look back throughout history, people have wanted answers since the beginning of time when it comes to crimes, people are still discussing Jack the Ripper. But, I do not agree with the article's assessment of this all being "harmful". I feel it is good to be informed and involved, and aware and to discuss. People are curious, hard to change that, and being informed of current events/crimes, keeps us all more safe, I've learned a lot from forums (of course being very aware you have to research the information). Talking/discussions about it can also be very therapeutic for those who may be feeling anxious about it. Anyway, we all see things differently and I totally see what you mean, it just felt like a very negative article to me, and it felt like the author was dissing those who follow discussion groups. I guess that is what stood out to me most, it mainly being a negative view/putdown.

They arrested him when they had the evidence sufficient to obtain a warrant. Once that warrant was issued a threat assessment would be done by those tasked with arresting him. A quadruple murder suspect would go off the charts in that assessment and it is absolutely appropriate for SWAT to serve that warrant using every tactical advantage. Someone suspected of violently killing 4 people very well may have nothing to lose and those are the most dangerous ones. Speed, distraction, dynamic entry and overwhelming force are all appropriate.

Its tangential but important.

If they had enough reason to follow him closely across the country, then they certainly had enough information to question him and collect DNA surreptitiously before he left.

I personally doubt the whole narrative that they followed or tracked him to his home in PA. MOO- that is 100% CYA on their part. If that is true it's the most irresponsible thing I have ever seen LE do.

I think they had no idea he was a suspect until after he got to PA. The sudden halt to the house cleaning tells you that they thought this was going to take a long time and were surprised about how lucky they got that he (MOO) has a first degree relative in the database they searched.

Right now, and always we are trying to figure out what motivated him.

Respectfully snipped to highlight the question.

Regarding motivation. My answer is my own theory, and just a part of a complex explanation, but I have thrown this word, “alexithymia”, around, several times. Alexithymia represents total disconnect from own emotions, inability to find words for them. So a person with alexithymia might be totally fine logically, but lives in an emotional fog. And BK is conducting a study that has both logical and emotional arms. (Choice of victim, but also, how did the criminals feel afterwards?). It is about motivation of the criminals. However, the emotional arm of the crime he can’t process because he doesn’t have the words for feelings. So he goes through own spiel, to choose, to hunt, to kill, in order to feel the crime emotionally.

Perhaps high adrenaline rush during the murders created a breakthrough, and this is why he felt calmer afterwards, the fact noticed by his students. I hope that it wasn’t an enjoyable experience (the loud sounds he probably didn’t like). But if it was pleasurable because of “emotional washout”, this is how repeated offenders are born, IMHO.

Lack of empathy is somehow tied up to alexithymia. In the discussion here, we invoke empathy all the time, by saying “as a mom, I feel for the parents”. Essentially, the message is, we share the feelings because we can put ourselves in other person’s shoes. But what if feelings are muted? Then we can’t rely on empathy to kick in and protect from the act.

IMHO - prior repeated acts sometimes noticed in some killers, such as exhibitionism, or voyerism, are prior attempts to “switch in” emotions, or even “borrow” them from others.

Of course, alexithymia is just a small part of a very large picture, because give or take, we don’t know why some people feel homicidal, but this is why we should study these phenomena. BK’s project was very interesting, modern and necessary, only it got to the person unable to process it emotionally.

All MOO, JMO, and understanding that BK merely stands accused, and presumption of innocence.

Last edited:
Lucy Letby doesn't look like a serial baby killer but she's on trial for murdering 7 babies and attempting to murder 10 more.

Ted Bundy said in his last interview that murderers don't come out in the dark with fangs and saliva dripping off their chins. He said people want to be able to identify them but we can't.

They could be our neighbors or acquaintances. That's what makes this type of killer so scary.

I live in the Poconos, not far from Indian Mountain Lake community, and if I had seen BK at the grocery store I wouldn't have given him a second glance. If he had said hello to me I would have smiled and said hello back.
I'm reminded of the Okkervil River lyric that is in @helpfulcharlie's signature.

Lookin' for evil, thinkin' they can trace it but.. evil don't look like anything...

I’m certain they will have chosen to arrest him as soon as they had what they believe to be sufficient evidence to convict. They can’t go around arresting every person of interest without evidence to support doing it, and they also have to be careful to avoid putting themselves, members of the public or the suspect in danger as much as is reasonably possible. They arrested him when they could in the safest way they could arrest someone they suspect has murdered four innocent people.

I really appreciate your answer.

I still wonder when and why it was decided he to present such a danger that required this kind of movie-like arrest?

He was free for 7 weeks after the murders, he was considered to be POI, in relation to this case, at some point but there is not a single shred of evidence or report that he acted aggressively or put any member of public under any danger during that period.

I guess that my questions will be unanswered at present.. I have an idea why they opted for such power demonstrating arrest. To me, it looks like they intentionally wanted to scare him hoping that he will panic and say or do something to incriminate himself. Like violently resisting, running away or trying to hide the knife. Only these tactics did not work.Jmo

Will wait to see if his defence team will address this.

Good post. I totally agree. If LE were "following" him across country then they had enough to do something before he was at his parent's home in PA. And certainly in Indiana when he was pulled over for traffic violations.

With regards to his dad flying out to Washington and driving back to Pennsylvania with him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it revealed this was always a family plan, even before the murders took place?
IMO, speculation
What if the trip was an integrant part, planned well in advance along with the murder. This way, the trip back sounds very legit. Although it seems far fetched, given all the required timing.

With regards to his dad flying out to Washington and driving back to Pennsylvania with him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it revealed this was always a family plan, even before the murders took place?
IMO, speculation
What if the trip was an integrant part, planned well in advance along with the murder. This way, the trip back sounds very legit. Although it seems far fetched, given all the required timing.

State Police are hailing their team of tactically-trained troopers who arrested the Monroe County man accused of murdering four University of Idaho students.

"They are the ultimate professionals. They are volunteers. They are highly trained and highly motivated," said Maj. Christopher Paris.

That's the State Police's Special Emergency Response Team, or SERT.

Authorities confirm some troopers on SERT used force at the suspect's home in Chestnuthill Township, breaking several windows and doors in the process.

The raid happened in the early, dark hours of Friday morning with Kohberger's parents also at home. PSP say they managed to swiftly and safely bring Kohberger into custody.

"We wanted to go in at a time when we thought it would be the safest for everybody: safest for everybody else in the house, safest for Mr. Kohberger and safest for our people," added Paris.

Paris says the FBI tipped PSP off to Kohberger's whereabouts.
How do they do that when so many people sleep with guns at the ready these days? How would they know that the suspect wouldn’t be sitting in bed waiting to shoot someone coming through the bedroom (or whichever) door? How would they know where BK was located within the house? IIRC, it’s a 2 LEVEL house. I hope they had shields to protect themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member