ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the Oregon case has an exact address listed anywhere?
This is all I've seen so far: "Marion County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to a reported stabbing at a home in rural Marion County near the intersection of Howell Prairie Road NE and Hazelgreen Road NE." This is a rural area. The only house address that is at this intersection is 8954 Hazelgreen Road NE - Stayton, OR. This may be their place as there is no other house near the intersection at all and nothing closer than at least a whole city block away.

There was a photo, I think in the DM, that showed the sliding glass door "locked" with bar stools. Like they used the stools instead of the bar that is often used. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I was just watching the news about this massacre. The problem is about "mixed DNA", meaning it is hard to get DNA when the victim and perpetrator blood is "mixed". And even if they get a match of DNA from both separate scenes, the bedrooms, if the perpetrator has never given DNA to LEO, it is useless. Just a random DNA.

It may be useful if they have a definite suspect. But, if that suspect has been in that house, and those areas, he may have legitimate reasons why his DNA was found. Depending on where and what it is...
Even so, if they have DNA they suspect to be the killer's, they can initially tell basic things like gender, race, etc. even before getting more detailed results.

Doesn’t That take A long time, genetic genealogy?
It can, that's one reason it's referred to as "investigative" genetic genealogy, plus certain criteria and steps must be met before genetic genealogy can be implemented. I've been busy the last couple of days, so I haven't been keeping up with the newest info. Did LE confirm investigative genetic genealogy is now being pursued?

I am curious too about a midnight call with dad. Who called who? Was there something in particular discussed?

I get kids being close with a parent and talking daily (I do that) but isn't that done at more conservative hours? I wonder if something happened that shook X up in that missing time gap? JMO, MOO
My question is the call came at 1200am so if the dad made the call is it 1200am his time 1100pm her time? or 1am his time 1200am her time?

He is in Arizona so they do not observe daylight savings and the time is 1 hour difference.

It's not useless now that they are using genetic genealogy to figure out who the murderers are
Did LE confirm IGG is now being used on this case? They usually don't use IGG early on in an investigation.

Legit question....
I'm sure someone brought this up, but 12 threads x 50 pages is a lot to wade through!

Originally police stated that Ethan/Xana were at a frat party until 130am & arrived home around the same time as the other two girls.

But NOW police have been stating that they attended the party from 8 to 9pm. Also, Xana's father stated she talked to her around midnight and she had said her and Ethan were hanging out at home. Obviously she's a college kid and might just keep things like going to a frat party to herself/not tell the father.....BUT.....I've still not seen LE say where Xana & Ethan went/where they were from 9pm until they arrived home. They changed the "time spent at party" by almost 4 hours but didn't give am update as to what they were doing.

It may be nothing, or maybe it's something, IDK. But they've painstakingly put together timelines as best they could and it seems like we are missing 4-5 hrs for the couple. If they did leave the party at 9p and went home....that changes the context of the night a bit. Obviously a lot of rumors too going around about the frat party and some sort of incident, but in general it all seems odd.

Can someone clear up this 8p-9p / 8p - 130a time change discrepancy?
I noticed this too . Also Ethan went to the sisters party without Xana . I think something happened that Saturday night triggering the killer but there was longer term friction between the killer and victims so the killer was known to them

Also it strikes me that the three female victims had more active social lives than the two who survived and that might be why those two weren’t attacked

My gut says the dog was let out by the killer so it wouldn’t bark , the girls underneath heard and know “something” but are being protected by the cops , and the fact Kaylees bedroom may have been the most visible ( from the higher st) is pertinent. I also feel any of the four ( could have been capable of saying something that might have slighted a.n.other as they probably flipped out some remark which got someone riled up, to which one of the three would have spoken too
All Moo

However if this is just a random killer the person was just targeting that house cos it was easy

I keep going back to the last presser where the Chief stated they believed this was a targeted attack. In my mind there could be different reasons for that statement. First, maybe one victim was attacked more brutally than the others. Second, maybe LE has evidence that leads them to think that. Third, maybe LE is using this phrase as a way to invoke some kind of reaction out of the killer. Finally, maybe this is being done to hopefully bring in leads from the public in case any of the victims in fact did have an issue with a specific person.

It can, that's one reason it's referred to as "investigative" genetic genealogy, plus certain criteria and steps must be met before genetic genealogy can be implemented. I've been busy the last couple of days, so I haven't been keeping up with the newest info. Did LE confirm investigative genetic genealogy is now being pursued?

As far as I know, they haven’t said anything about DNA, let alone genetic genealogy

This is all I've seen so far: "Marion County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to a reported stabbing at a home in rural Marion County near the intersection of Howell Prairie Road NE and Hazelgreen Road NE." This is a rural area. The only house address that is at this intersection is 8954 Hazelgreen Road NE - Stayton, OR. This may be their place as there is no other house near the intersection at all and nothing closer than at least a whole city block away.
It’s very rural compared to the other cases.. I read it’s directly across the street from a Spanish food distributor (or maybe a Spanish farmer? this was said by a local)

Nothing around but farms and as you can see the homes in the area are very remote.. I’m continuing to dig deeper for more commonalities across all of the “13” cases and this location is the most remote by far. (edited to tag original inquirer @Chestnutsunfish)

Could this be why people are speculating that lock on that door did not work? Or is it just added safety.
On this or the previous thread, someone posted crime scene photos of the sliding door. It appeared they were not in that position in front of the doors initially, but were placed there on their sides like that after the beginning of the investigation. If so, it's possible that LE put them there knowing that the sliding door lock mechanism wasn't very secure (which is common with sliding door lock mechanisms, but could also indicate one that was broken).

Could this be why people are speculating that lock on that door did not work? Or is it just added safety.
Could be, IMO. In my experience, the stools could be there because the lock didn't work. I made the mistake of doing something similar with my slider when I was younger. probably how I ended up getting robbed. I'm trying to find that photo but there are so many to go through.

There was a photo, I think in the DM, that showed the sliding glass door "locked" with bar stools. Like they used the stools instead of the bar that is often used. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

In this post by @Allabouttrial, we can clearly see in the 1st pic that the stools were not used by the residents as a lock (at least, not on that night).
In the 2nd pic (5 days later), we can see that the stools have been positioned to lock the door further OR to remind investigators at the scene to not enter the house through the sliding doors.

MOO, I've been all over the place with this one, but now after reflecting on all the info...

I feel it's the simplest explanation, it was someone closest, deeply intimate to the target. And whoever was one of the closest to the target felt he had a lot to lose. Obsessed, became resentful and stewed about it. Blaming everyone around her for what he was going to lose. And there's the timing of it.. JMO
Occum’s razor!!

In this post by @Allabouttrial, we can clearly see in the 1st pic that the stools were not used by the residents as a lock (at least, not on that night).
In the 2nd pic (5 days later), we can see that the stools have been positioned to lock the door further OR to remind investigators at the scene to not enter the house through the sliding doors.

What I was recalling is a video on the DM. Here is the link: Expert: Idaho slayings similar to crimes that inspired 'Scream' movies

My head has been all over the place as far as theories go. But a few things that I've noticed that make me wonder.
-all of the victims Instagram have remained public. Except for Ethan.
-the 2 surviving roommates (understandably) switched their Instagram to private or deactivated their account. Ethan's surviving triplets also switched to private. So did the frat. Neither of the sororities all roommates belonged to did this.)
-Surving roommates and ethan's siblings were all on scene (roommates confirmed/siblings possibly per parents interview saying they "were there" depending on how you interpret) when police arrived.
-we've received little to no information on Ethan/Xana at or after the frat party.
-witnesses have come forward that saw Maddie & Kaylee and given interviews. We've seen them on camera, know who brought them home and when, etc).
-no one that saw Ethan or Xana that night have spoken publicly. The police have released 0 details on their night.

All of the above has me thinking E and/or X were the target. Something happened at that party involving E or X. Someone came to the house and confronted them while M & K we're still awake. Person got kicked out and yelled at/insulted by all 4 of them. Person left feeling slighted, possibly embarrassed/rejected because the girls piled on him, all on E's side. Went and got a weapon, came back when everyone was asleep to make them all pay.
- media and everyone else is focused on K & M. Police are feeding into that theory to keep the media/social media out of their investigation.
- fraternity holds the key, and Ethan's siblings and maybe even the 2 surviving roommates know there was an altercation. They are all MIA because they know the police are doing their thing. Frat is locked down on social, and their members, because when this comes out, the publicity for the frat will be a nightmare on a national level and they are getting their ducks in a row to combat the hellstorm of negative press that will be coming there way. What's worst for a fraternity than a hazing death? Admitting a sociopath that goes on to murder 4 Greek students. And maybe there were warning signs the frat ignored.

All just IMO and wild speculation. I just feel a little like we're being told to look left so we don't see what's happening to the right. JMO. I need to take a break from thinking about this tragedy. Hoping the families get answers soon.
To me it is a big difference in the way families deal with trauma. Some may have come forward before LE talked to them- to keep details about the scene private.
K’s family is open and coming forward- several interviews to media
M’s family has not come forward
E’s parents did an interview with media, and funeral
X’s father did interview
Maybe I missed some?

I don’t see anything suspicious, some people are more private than others.
What we haven’t thought about is the siblings, and how the trauma impacts them.
K- appears to be the youngest, her brother and sister are older
M- is an only child I think
E- has two siblings his age- they too attend Univ of Idaho- may have come to scene
X- I do not know anything about siblings

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members