ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This keeps getting stuck in my head. If E was a freshman, he was new on the scene in September? There have been hints about X past, made by her father and getting back in track. She was at least a year ahead at school Who did she date before and did they not appreciate the new guy on the scene?

No, E wasn’t a new freshman. It was his second year, but he didn’t have enough credits to be an official sophomore.

It would have been 1:56 before DST. Which makes me wonder; there would be 1 hour difference between Moscow, ID and Pullman, WA.
Moscow, ID and Pullman are on the same time zone. (PST)
Other parts of Idaho are on MST.
DST ended on November 6th, so discussion of it, isn't relevant to this crime!
It's an MST to PST comparison after November 6th.

1280px-US-Timezones.svg.png

Whats a 'swifter" and 'IG"? sounds like it could be important?
A Swiffer is a type of mop that uses disposable wet wipes that you attach to it, then when done you just throw out the dirty wipes but keep the long stick like portion. Lots of people have ditched old fashioned mops and bucket for these as they are very convenient.

but 2 people in one bed... that's what's crazy to me... at least one would have had to be woken up enough
Maybe it was something that was ordinary as one of them getting out of bed to use the bathroom. Being as quiet as they could so they didn't disturb the other one's sleep.
Maybe that's when the killer made his move?
My heart goes out to all the friends & families. Such a senseless, horrible loss. ♡

The red marks on the balcony are the same bright color as the berries. Blood would have turned dark a long time ago. If the red marks on the wood are not from berries, they are far more likely to be traces of an older paint job showing through than blood.
The photos are dated within 24 hours of the murders. It would have darkened but not to the extent you describe--it is roughly the shade of the blood pictured on outside of the foundation on other side (it was ME or coroner that confirmed it was blood). Both photos were taken at same time. So while I don't disagree with you in general, specifically in regards to this picture I don't think you are accurate--only because photos are timestamped mostly Sunday afternoon, with a few series being dated the following morning. 36 hours from estimated homicide would be roughly 3pm Monday. Photos are from before that.

Thanks this makes sense
If they were asleep when stabbed, then wound would likely be in and out; if they were awake and moving around then the wounds would have been longer horizontally? If I recall correctly, coroner said they were all found in their bedrooms, but it was misreported as in bed. I think the blood on the outside of the wall is from someone lying on the floor. JMO

We don't know who did this, we don't know if LE has a POI, but they do.

IF LE asked only for tips regarding K and M's last night OR only E and X's, we'd be all over that, zeroing in on the likely target/s. LE is asking for both. Because they need both? Maybe. Maybe not. I suspect that one set of tips will be given lower priority.

I think they're looking for a specific person and this is an all-call for photos and ideas in which he does or doesn't tangentially appear. They just can't ask for that! Not without revealing the target/s and naming a/the POI.

My theory: there was a watcher. And he's evident, in the background, in some photos and videos (and not in others). LE isn't trying to nail down the movements of Kand M OR E and X IMO. They're trying to nail down the movements of their prime POI. MOO.

The girls, out drinking. Ubering to get food. Ride home. Early morning phone calls. Sleep.

A not atypical night, I might imagine. Eating, drinking, dogcaring, crashing.

What was the murderer doing that day, that night?

Married guy? Divorced? Kids? Visitation schedule? Employed? Not Employed? Banker's hours, shift worker's? What made him free to commit murder? House? Apartment? Homeless? Who might take note of his comings and goings?

Since LE asked for information from that evening/night, maybe it's not a wide net they're casting for any information but rather a focused ask. They believe he was there, IMO.

If so, when did he disappear from photos/videos? Which way did he go? Did CCTV catch a vehicle leaving in tandem with that timing? To track it. Home first. His. Or straight to theirs...

I think they're pulling this together. Arrest, near.

JMO

It is new, but what can make people free to commit murder would be sitting at home on leave of absence, like it happens to many from IT sector, for example.

I think it is a horrible person. Either he needed to kill one but killed four to cover the tracks (because go check who was the target and reconcile all alibis), or it was the thrill kill, which I still don’t discount.

When I was 20, my BF basically lived in my apartment. He had his own place on campus. He was never there. Our parents didn't really "know" this.
Me too. My bf who is now my husband was already a cop and he was 9 years older- carefully guarded secret, I was 21 and were practically living together. But girls / roommates always cover for me when parents visits. :) I don’t think parents always know what college kids are up to.

No, E wasn’t a new freshman. It was his second year, but he didn’t have enough credits to be an official sophomore.
Per his mom's statement that he wasn't a great student (paraphrasing) I'm guessing he had to take a couple of remedial classes. You don't earn college credit for those classes. Hence, still being classified as a freshman. JMO

New post from City of Moscow’s FB page. New info:

Updated Information:

• Community members have uploaded over 488 digital media submissions to the FBI link.

• We understand there is a sense of fear within our community. Since November 13th, the department has received 78 calls for unusual circumstances and 36 requests to check the welfare of loved ones, an increase from 70 and 18, respectively, for all of October. As officers respond to these incidents, they find that concerned parties call friends and family before notifying the police. For life-safety and emergencies, we want to remind our community to call 9-1-1 before notifying family or friends. For non- emergency assistance, please call (208) 882-2677 (COPS).

• The University of Idaho is hosting a candlelight vigil for Wednesday, November 30th, to honor the memory of Ethan, Xana, Madison, and Kaylee. (In Memory of Xana, Madison, Kaylee and Ethan)

• TIPS: Detectives are looking for context to the events and people involved in these murders. Information can be submitted:
o Tip Line: 208-883-7180
o Email:tipline@ci.moscow.id.us
o Digital Media: fbi.gov/moscowidaho

• At this time, no suspect has been identified and only vetted information that does not hinder the investigation will be released to the public. There is speculation, without factual backing, stoking community fears and spreading false facts. We encourage referencing official releases for accurate information and updated progress.

Thanks for posting this, though I don't see much new.

Maybe the the roommates were not aware Ethan had stayed overnight.
Therefore, when X did not respond, they called looking for her.
They found out Ethan was supposed to be with X and the nightmare unfolded
from this point.

Was Kaylee's new car moved at any time?

That's a good question, and I was just imaging me moving around my home in the pitch black. Even thought I've lived here a long time, without any light, I'd still be bumping into things.

How did the perp see the stairs and the door knobs so easily? Did he have a flashlight or night vision specs, as you said?

It did he turn the lights on? Some of them?

When he went into the bedrooms, did he turn the lights on so he could see where to precisely stab?
My husband has a thin knit cap, fits tightly on his head so it can't be shaken off, and it has 2 "built in" battery-operated lights on the front of it. He wears it while walking our dog in the dark, the idea being that he can see in the dark but still have both hands free for the leash and the poop bag. The killer could have had something similar

1669598893704.png
For those who haven't seen this video. Tattoos to honor the victims. (Don't start talking about the other dog per Mods.) At the 01:42 mark some clips of playful fooling around at home.

First Published: 3:12 PM PST, November 22, 2022

Wondering if people here are familiar with the “murders before the marathon” case. This was a case of a triple homicide murder via stabbing. The police were adamant it was targeted because the victims were stoners and it was [mis]-attributed to ‘Mexican cartels’ enacting retribution for a drug deal gone wrong. The killers had staged the bodies by pouring marijuana all over them as a misdirect. The police were in no rush to investigate further (seemingly) and were reassuring concerned locals there was no threat to them. The documentary / book about it (written by journo friend of one of the victims) pointed out how unlikely it was to have been a drug or gang related murder because you’d expect them to be shot. As many here have mentioned, stabbing is much riskier for many reasons (and more personal and vicious etc etc). This turns out to be correct, most likely it was a very personal and emotionally fuelled stabbing indeed and if it had not been dismissed as a targeted drugs-related crime then they might have been able to prevent the Boston marathon bombings. (It’s proposed by the journo that the killer did both)

This case has been popping into my head because:
- I hadn’t realised until I watched it that stabbing is a real choice. Super tough way to do it :( (fair to say I hadn’t given stabbing much thought at all in my very lucky safe life)
- it’s possible to give a misdirect to law enforcement on purpose re. targeting
- drug-related revenge killings more likely to involve guns than knives, thought it useful to mention this as there is some talk around regarding the family history of victims

ETA: link to case in media Did one of the Boston bombers kill before?

Last edited:
I'm with you at the moment. I'm very curious about where X and E were in those unaccounted-for hours, and whether they were together the entire time. I went to a frat-heavy uni and I can't imagine Sigma Chi was the only house with a party that night, but in my experience a brother wouldn't only stay at his house's party for an hour.
Yeah it's that updated LE timeline of 8-9pm, combined with the specific request for imagery & tips of both that fraternity party and afterwards, that really got my attention. And I agree 100%--i wasn't in a frat, but I did go to college (for 6 years lolol), and even with not being a member of Greek life I went to plenty of the Greek parties....And I cannot recall a time I would have left after only an hour--specifically that early! Which for a Saturday night before Thanksgiving it def would be early to leave a party, especially if it was your own chapter's.

Wondering if people here are familiar with the “murders before the marathon” case. This was a case of a triple homicide murder via stabbing. The police were adamant it was targeted because the victims were stoners and it was [mis]-attributed to ‘Mexican cartels’ enacting retribution for a drug deal gone wrong. The killers had staged the bodies by pouring marijuana all over them as a misdirect. The police were in no rush to investigate further (seemingly) and were reassuring concerned locals there was no threat to them. The documentary / book about it (written by journo friend of one of the victims) pointed out how unlikely it was to have been a drug or gang related murder because you’d expect them to be shot. As many here have mentioned, stabbing is much riskier for many reasons (and more personal and vicious etc etc). This turns out to be correct, most likely it was a very personal and emotionally fuelled stabbing indeed and if it had not been dismissed as a targeted drugs-related crime then they might have been able to prevent the Boston marathon bombings. (It’s proposed by the journo that the killer did both)

This case has been popping into my head because:
- I hadn’t realised until I watched it that stabbing is a real choice. Super tough way to do it :( (fair to say I hadn’t given stabbing much thought at all in my very lucky safe life)
- it’s possible to give a misdirect to law enforcement on purpose re. targeting
- drug-related revenge killings more likely to involve guns than knives, thought it useful to mention this as there is some talk around regarding the family history of victims
YES! I thought of that case almost immediately after hearing about this one. Glad I'm not the only one! Very mysterious circumstances in that one, some similar to this case.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>
Per his mom's statement that he wasn't a great student (paraphrasing) I'm guessing he had to take a couple of remedial classes. You don't earn college credit for those classes. Hence, still being classified as a freshman. JMO
He also may have dropped classes, especially if he wasn't doing well in them. It would help save his GPA but put him low on credit hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO there’s nothing wrong with wanting to know certain things and speculating. Let’s be honest. We’re not going to be the ones to solve the crime, so what else are we going to do here except talk about it? And I bet it is important to LE if they were sleeping or not, or found in beds or not.
Good point; if they were all asleep—then no threat—so all may have been the target…if some were awake, then could id the killer so collateral damage. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VAres67