ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The video has some views of the town and students returning. Idyllic small college town where you'd feel your children will have a safe college environment. Really makes you realize how Kaylee's father is left waiting for more explanations-- his daughter is gone in a horrible way with not a bit of closure as to why or who did this. The parents and siblings of the victims are left in a waiting mode that must be eating away at them. Saying a prayer that this time of not knowing ends soon. As far as these experts opinions go, sorry but it seems like I've read more astute theories here.

“There are a couple of things that are starting to suggest that there was someone in these people's orbit that caused this incident to come about by this murderer,” Bill Daly, a former FBI investigator, told Fox News on Sunday. “Someone would've had to know the inside of the home, know their routine.”
That logic isn't sound, though. Someone could have easily known their routines and the layout of the house just by their social media. I see no reason the killer needed to be in their "orbit".

I’m Curious The Dive bar the girls were at that sat nite, No Cameras? Most pubs even dive bars Have remote cameras these days for obvious reasons, Has anyone looked into this
Sometimes they just have cameras on the cash registers ‍‍

Hi, just found this floorplan on TheDailyMail that slightly differs from the one you have here. Should the one from TheDailyMail be accurate, it seems that entering E&X's room was even more deliberate than the other floor plan suggests, as the killer had to pass the laundry room as well.

View attachment 383283
The one from daily mail is not accurate. I don’t read them, they never have accurate info moo.

Moo, X and E bedroom is where the “dripping blood” where.
2 victims on second floor (most likely X and E.

Second floor- I only drew the second floor because it’s a more complex area of the property moo and it is also the possible point of entry. Did not draw the first floor and third floor.
AF4E4677-AB01-4C57-81C3-D60664FFFC57.jpeg

Moo, a more comprehensive property layout from John Law which I got the layout from.

Last edited:
Thought it would be interesting to see how many different "profiles" the paid professionals are coming up with. Keep in mind they DO NOT have the data LE has. They are working with the same info we have but have their knowledge and experience.

1. Incel theory - Carole Lieberman (Forensic Psychiatrist)
Forensic psychiatrist Carole Lieberman said she is confident the slayings were not a random attack or the work of a serial killer. The "multiple stabbings and bloody mess are signs that it was personal and that the killer was enraged," Lieberman told Newsweek.
  • Personal
  • Enraged
  • Not random or serial
  • Felt rejected or would be suitor
2. Young & knew at least one victim - Jim Clemente (Former FBI profiler)
The murderer who ruthlessly slaughtered four University of Idaho students is likely a “younger” man and a first-time killer, famed former FBI profiler Jim Clemente said.

Clemente, a criminal behavioral expert and former New York State prosecutor, believes the person who killed Kaylee Goncalves, 21, Ethan Chapin, 20, Xana Kernodle, 20, and Madison Mogen, 21 on Nov. 13 likely knew at least one of the victims.
  • Young
  • Comfortable with blood
  • First-time killer
  • Lives in the area
  • Doesn't mind "wet work" and profession will say the same
And here: Idaho college killer likely a stalker or knew students, ex-FBI profiler says he says this:
  • Stalker
  • Not Sophisticated criminally or forensically
3. Potential Serial Killer -Dr. Casey Jordan (criminologist, behavior analyst, attorney)
You could have somebody who is a potential serial killer who has been thinking about doing this for a very long time,” he tells Inside Edition. “If the fantasy was fulfilled, then the fantasy will bloom even larger and very often, we will find a perp who feels compelled to do it again.”

But Jordan says another, and perhaps stronger, possibility is that the victims were acquaintances with their killer.
  • Potential Serial Killer
  • Acquaintances w/ killer
  • From the community
  • In the house before
4. Instrumental Violence-Mary Ellen O'Toole (Retired agent and profiler FBI)
Paraphrasing interview: Targeted has meaning. Equal targets or not?
  • Not evidence conscious
  • Likely cut themselves and left DNA evidence
  • Likely been in the home prior
  • Prior experience being in other people's homes
  • Had to be a sturdy knife
  • Up close and personal
  • Sloppy crime scene but efficient with knife means experienced
  • Doubtful the knife was tossed
  • The knife has been used before but not necessarily in a murder
  • Instrumental not reactive violence
  • cold-blooded, predatory, callous violence perpetrated frequently on strangers
  • Psychopathic individuals lacking empathy and guilt commit high-risk crimes b/c they enjoy the crime
  • Believes there is a threat to the community
  • High risk for reoffending
5. Young male -Jonathan Gilliam (Former FBI Special Agent)
  • Young male
  • One, not two killers
  • Could get in and out w/ out being seen
  • Entered the second floor
  • Not the first time this person did this
  • Adrenaline filled incident
  • Odd or manacing behavior toward people close to him
  • Typically a killing like this is not the first kill unless in the family environment (which this is not)
  • Sees this as an escalation
  • 3-hour travel distance this person probably lives
6. Copycat killer - Bill Warner - (Private Detective)
Bill Warner, a private detective from Sarasota, Florida, called the murderer a "copy cat serial killer" after tracing down the same killing spree pattern as the infamous Ted Bundy murders.

"Current trail of unsolved murders in Washington, Oregon, and Moscow Idaho mimics trail of murders committed by serial killer Ted Bundy in 1970's," he said.

Bundy "appears to have started his murder spree in Feb 1974 in Washington, then May 1974 in Oregon and then May 1975 in Idaho and then many, many more, he was just getting started," Warner explained.

He added: "No coincidence when the same exact geographic path used by serial killer Ted Bundy in 1970's mimicked by current copy cat serial killer murders in Washington, Oregon and the case in Moscow Idaho, three for three."
Early 30's
  • Above Avg. height
  • Fighting Skills
  • Powerful build
  • Martial arts training
7. Targeted & In their orbit-Bill Daly (Former FBI Investigator)
A former FBI investigator said he believes that the Idaho quadruple murders were a targeted attack and that someone in the slain college students' 'orbit' caused it to happen.

• Two unharmed people
  • Would have to know the home
  • Not mass murderer rampage b/c others downstairs unharmed
  • Think LE have more than we are aware
  • DNA & Fingerprints are only good if they have something to compare to right now, but great later
8. In their Circle - Nancy Grace
  • Someone in their circle
  • No connection w/ person that called it in
9. Someone knew the house-Brad Garrett (Former FBI)
"It tells me that someone came into the house with a comfort level -- that they probably knew their way around the house," Garrett said.

Garrett said investigators should be broadening their search outside the victims' immediate circle of friends and family.

"You're going to have to start spreading out to people they had just a casual relationship with," he said.
  • Someone knew the house
10. Likely Female -Rodney Demery - (Former homicide detective-podcaster "murder chose me")
ormer homicide detective Rodney Demery believes it's "very likely" a woman is behind the murder of four college students in Idaho. "I think it was someone that had a rage, a certain passion, to create such violence," Demery says.
  • 7% female mass murderers
  • Passion
  • Rage
  • Same-sex relationship
11. Not Serial Killer - Mark Furhman -(Former LAPD Detective & lives in Idaho)
  • Not a serial killer
  • Targeted crime
  • Killer sought out and knows one or more of the victims
  • Knife is a weapon of rage
  • Should be able to find the order of killings, height, footprint, right or left-handed from blood spatter analysis
  • Should be able to get blood type even if DNA is not in the system
Awesome!

I can’t escape the thought that perhaps the slaughter was motivated by some kind of ideological, indoctrinated Avenger. MOO
I still haven’t seen anything that leads me to believe this was at all spontaneous.
I don’t understand why the limited focus of discussion whirls around a UI student when if considering a student type perp there is also another college right in Moscow, the Christ Church owned New Saint Anthony’s College and Washington State is only 9 miles miles away in Pullman. iMO

The poor surviving room mates are just Freshman. Perhaps they hadn’t had time to violate the at least deranged if not psychopathic’s unknown code of right and wrong. MOO
In any case, IMO the murderer went well prepared to kill and escape. I like the idea that he walked or had a vehicle stashed at some distance along a route out of the back of the house. Walking would eliminate the chance of leaving trace evidence in a vehicle.
The Construction business area pinpointed by OldCop is very interesting logistically.

What about devices picked up by the wifi in the house. Does it automatically pick up a new device when one comes into the vicinity? Maybe LE has already looked into this. Hopefully they have reviewed all devices that have connected to that home network.

Can this excellent reference summary be added to the timeline media thread. It would be easy to refer back to without searching for it.
This is good to have handy but I am wary of it being used as news on the media thread. IMO these profilers — though more qualified than me to have an opinion on this case — cannot provide an accurate profile unless they have the info that LE has.

Also, Nancy Grace is not qualified to provide a criminal profile. She’s been reckless in the past on her platform by inserting her opinion for fact. Very irresponsible for a lawyer/news personality to do.

I don’t make the rules though. :)

MOO

Hi, everyone. I'm a "local" of sorts. I live in the same state about 300 miles away. I've been on Web Sleuths before years ago (under a different name I don't recall now) and I'm mainly interested in cases that are local to me. I am really hoping for justice for these victims. It was such a brutal crime.

If I’m not mistaken many cars built in the last few yrs have some tracking devices built into the vehicle ECR’s It doesn’t record everything but LE can determine when a car has been driven, I’m pretty sure this is correct, can someone who is familiar With ECRs and auto computers confirm or deny this
My 2018 notifies me via app that it’s started & allows me to track its travel if I choose. I can also see speed/braking, mechanics in real time. I’m sure there are many varieties of similar technology around.

Yeah which makes it seem more than likely that the killer or killers weren’t lying in wait for everyone to come home. That then leads to the most likely entry being the sliding glass door on the second floor.

If I am Not mistaken someone correct me if I am mistaken. The door at the front of the house that had a key pad code lock led right into the first floor bedroom. Which is where the 2 survivors were sleeping.

The map also struck me as interesting. I thought it was notable that the Northern boundary is so close to the house. You would think if they were just trying to cast a net, it would have been in a square area with the house in the center (barring any natural barriers, like mountains or bodies of water). Instead, the area is all south of the house. I wondered if they had footage of someone leaving the area, so a general direction was known, but they were looking for better/clearer images (I was actually thinking that the person was on foot, but it would also make sense that LE might be looking for a vehicle heading onto Hwy 95.)
Yes! Why wouldn’t they at least include Greek Row which houses so many connections to this group of friends and where at least 2 of them had spent some time on Saturday evening. Did they see a car leaving from the parking lot of the apartment building across the street and turning onto Taylor Ave? If someone turned right on Taylor and went to 95s, I have to believe they would pass cameras at that intersection. There is a gas station right on the corner and numerous businesses off that road all the way to the outskirts of town.
If you turned right from that lot onto Taylor, there is not a direct route but you could wind your way down to the W Palouse River Dr by roughly following the eastern edge of the Arboretum/Botanical Gardens, turning left and then heading out to 95S.
If you were to turn right here on Palouse River Dr , (it turns into Sands at some point), you could follow it all the way down into Washington state then back over the line to Idaho.. That stretch of road is also very rural with everything few and far in between.

Attachments

• E9E2F07F-9B3F-40CD-A730-CC6919B824FB.jpeg
    E9E2F07F-9B3F-40CD-A730-CC6919B824FB.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 8F2C6F48-D58C-4D12-912E-3FFA396A9CBD.jpeg
    8F2C6F48-D58C-4D12-912E-3FFA396A9CBD.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 1F8E24A7-F2A3-430E-8976-8DE96D9BB117.jpeg
    1F8E24A7-F2A3-430E-8976-8DE96D9BB117.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 16
1669674492481.png

And SkiGirl, post 227, wrote with regard to where LE is looking for security camera footage: "Instead, the area is all south of the house. I wondered if they had footage of someone leaving the area, so a general direction was known, but they were looking for better/clearer images." (snipped by me)

Way back in Thread #5, I noted the area south of the house, which includes Walenta Drive and Ridge Road, is an area of big, lovely single-family homes on beautifully and densely landscaped lots, clearly not student housing. All that landscaping provides good cover for someone trying to escape, so maybe LE thinks that's the way the perp went. Also, if the perp went that way, those very expensive homes likely have security cameras so their footage could be helpful.

Separate thing: Hopewell, in post #95 of this thread, linked to an interview with former FBI agent Jonathan Gilliam. One of his comments was this (bolding by me): "This was such a saturated crime scene and there were so many people there before that night and that morning when people actually called other people that came there before police even got there. I find that to be the oddest, just about strangest thing I've just about ever heard."

What do you think about the fact that the roommates called other people when they found the unconscious person before calling LE? Mr. Gilliam finds it very odd.

Idk if this is even a reasonable assumption to make, but perhaps the reason the roommates in the basement survived is because the victims were not known to the killer. Maybe the person didn’t know there were two rooms in the basement? I don’t know anything about the layout, but the sliding glass door looks like it’s the ground floor when it’s actually the middle floor.
Check out the Media Thread, after an addition it turned into 3 levels with a walk out basement, so sliding glass door is actually "2nd" floor.

Thought it would be interesting to see how many different "profiles" the paid professionals are coming up with. Keep in mind they DO NOT have the data LE has. They are working with the same info we have but have their knowledge and experience.

1. Incel theory - Carole Lieberman (Forensic Psychiatrist)
Forensic psychiatrist Carole Lieberman said she is confident the slayings were not a random attack or the work of a serial killer. The "multiple stabbings and bloody mess are signs that it was personal and that the killer was enraged," Lieberman told Newsweek.
  • Personal
  • Enraged
  • Not random or serial
  • Felt rejected or would be suitor
2. Young & knew at least one victim - Jim Clemente (Former FBI profiler)
The murderer who ruthlessly slaughtered four University of Idaho students is likely a “younger” man and a first-time killer, famed former FBI profiler Jim Clemente said.

Clemente, a criminal behavioral expert and former New York State prosecutor, believes the person who killed Kaylee Goncalves, 21, Ethan Chapin, 20, Xana Kernodle, 20, and Madison Mogen, 21 on Nov. 13 likely knew at least one of the victims.
  • Young
  • Comfortable with blood
  • First-time killer
  • Lives in the area
  • Doesn't mind "wet work" and profession will say the same
And here: Idaho college killer likely a stalker or knew students, ex-FBI profiler says he says this:
  • Stalker
  • Not Sophisticated criminally or forensically
3. Potential Serial Killer -Dr. Casey Jordan (criminologist, behavior analyst, attorney)
You could have somebody who is a potential serial killer who has been thinking about doing this for a very long time,” he tells Inside Edition. “If the fantasy was fulfilled, then the fantasy will bloom even larger and very often, we will find a perp who feels compelled to do it again.”

But Jordan says another, and perhaps stronger, possibility is that the victims were acquaintances with their killer.
  • Potential Serial Killer
  • Acquaintances w/ killer
  • From the community
  • In the house before
4. Instrumental Violence-Mary Ellen O'Toole (Retired agent and profiler FBI)
Paraphrasing interview: Targeted has meaning. Equal targets or not?
  • Not evidence conscious
  • Likely cut themselves and left DNA evidence
  • Likely been in the home prior
  • Prior experience being in other people's homes
  • Had to be a sturdy knife
  • Up close and personal
  • Sloppy crime scene but efficient with knife means experienced
  • Doubtful the knife was tossed
  • The knife has been used before but not necessarily in a murder
  • Instrumental not reactive violence
  • cold-blooded, predatory, callous violence perpetrated frequently on strangers
  • Psychopathic individuals lacking empathy and guilt commit high-risk crimes b/c they enjoy the crime
  • Believes there is a threat to the community
  • High risk for reoffending
5. Young male -Jonathan Gilliam (Former FBI Special Agent)
  • Young male
  • One, not two killers
  • Could get in and out w/ out being seen
  • Entered the second floor
  • Not the first time this person did this
  • Adrenaline filled incident
  • Odd or manacing behavior toward people close to him
  • Typically a killing like this is not the first kill unless in the family environment (which this is not)
  • Sees this as an escalation
  • 3-hour travel distance this person probably lives
6. Copycat killer - Bill Warner - (Private Detective)
Bill Warner, a private detective from Sarasota, Florida, called the murderer a "copy cat serial killer" after tracing down the same killing spree pattern as the infamous Ted Bundy murders.

"Current trail of unsolved murders in Washington, Oregon, and Moscow Idaho mimics trail of murders committed by serial killer Ted Bundy in 1970's," he said.

Bundy "appears to have started his murder spree in Feb 1974 in Washington, then May 1974 in Oregon and then May 1975 in Idaho and then many, many more, he was just getting started," Warner explained.

He added: "No coincidence when the same exact geographic path used by serial killer Ted Bundy in 1970's mimicked by current copy cat serial killer murders in Washington, Oregon and the case in Moscow Idaho, three for three."
Early 30's
  • Above Avg. height
  • Fighting Skills
  • Powerful build
  • Martial arts training
7. Targeted & In their orbit-Bill Daly (Former FBI Investigator)
A former FBI investigator said he believes that the Idaho quadruple murders were a targeted attack and that someone in the slain college students' 'orbit' caused it to happen.

• Two unharmed people
  • Would have to know the home
  • Not mass murderer rampage b/c others downstairs unharmed
  • Think LE have more than we are aware
  • DNA & Fingerprints are only good if they have something to compare to right now, but great later
8. In their Circle - Nancy Grace
  • Someone in their circle
  • No connection w/ person that called it in
9. Someone knew the house-Brad Garrett (Former FBI)
"It tells me that someone came into the house with a comfort level -- that they probably knew their way around the house," Garrett said.

Garrett said investigators should be broadening their search outside the victims' immediate circle of friends and family.

"You're going to have to start spreading out to people they had just a casual relationship with," he said.
  • Someone knew the house
10. Likely Female -Rodney Demery - (Former homicide detective-podcaster "murder chose me")
ormer homicide detective Rodney Demery believes it's "very likely" a woman is behind the murder of four college students in Idaho. "I think it was someone that had a rage, a certain passion, to create such violence," Demery says.
  • 7% female mass murderers
  • Passion
  • Rage
  • Same-sex relationship
11. Not Serial Killer - Mark Furhman -(Former LAPD Detective & lives in Idaho)
  • Not a serial killer
  • Targeted crime
  • Killer sought out and knows one or more of the victims
  • Knife is a weapon of rage
  • Should be able to find the order of killings, height, footprint, right or left-handed from blood spatter analysis
  • Should be able to get blood type even if DNA is not in the system
Awesome post!

I’m Curious The Dive bar the girls were at that sat nite, No Cameras? Most pubs even dive bars Have remote cameras these days for obvious reasons, Has anyone looked into this
i posted a photo of the bar and it looks like they have cameras, 2 or more inside and it also has a camera on the outside in a fenced area with gas heaters like a smokers corner.

My 2018 notifies me via app that it’s started & allows me to track its travel if I choose. I can also see speed/braking, mechanics in real time. I’m sure there are many varieties of similar technology around.
As a blogger mentioned a few posts ago, You would need first A POI Then A warrant, to tap into vehicle forensics, it’s amazing what’s out there these days With All the digital foot printing online, Vehicle etc.. If The suspect gets away with this He’s Damn Lucky!

I came to my conclusion based on the hunting selection on KA-Bar's website, and they sell 31 different types of hunting knives.
Please consider the following gentle explanation. Your conclusion is clearly valid in the technical sense, but perhaps not in the "street / woods" sense.

There are Ka Bar brand knives, Ka Bar like knives, and.... then there is the one and only... "Ka Bar Ka Bar" USMC knife fighting knife.

As you correctly mentioned, the current Ka Bar company brand makes a variety of knives, including hunting knives.

The context that the police however, use when describing the murder weapon is that the murders were carried out using a "Ka bar Ka Bar"- or similar knife. This specific knife is the famous fighting knife / utility tool issued to Marines in WWII and Korea.

The term "Ka Bar" is so associated with the historic Marine Corps knife / tool, that a good many people use the term "Ka Bar" to automatically mean the USMC fighting knife. On a day to day basis, they would not consider that Ka Bar makes other knives.

In the end, Kabars and Kleenexes have alot in common:

Like "Kleenex" with generic tissues, the term "Ka Bar" can also mean other similar combat knives / tools. Likewise Kleenex may well make a variety of things. But... to a certain number of people, the term Kleenex is associated only with the famous tissue.

Last edited:
Yeah which makes it seem more than likely that the killer or killers weren’t lying in wait for everyone to come home. That then leads to the most likely entry being the sliding glass door on the second floor.

If I am Not mistaken someone correct me if I am mistaken. The door at the front of the house that had a key pad code lock led right into the first floor bedroom. Which is where the 2 survivors were sleeping.
Here's the map. The red X marks the entry way, two surviving roommates' rooms on either side, staircase going up to the 2nd level.

Capture.PNG

Have they, though? I know K's parents said they were told that, but I haven't seen LE state that.
Even if that is the case, what benefit would it be to the parents to lie about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tiffanylynne82