ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If one person kills four people with a knife, it's rage.
If more than one person participates, it's payback.

I think kids can get Hunters Safety card and to hunting at 14 y/o.
It might be different for different states. In Minnesota students ages 11 and older can attend a firearms safety certification course and receive their certificate. The firearms safety certificate becomes valid at age 12. Youth 10-13 years of age are permitted to hunt but must be under the direct supervision of a licensed parent or guardian.

Retired FBI profiler Jim Clemente was actually one of the writers for Criminal Minds, and he was asked about his thoughts and opinions on Fox News a few days ago:

To summarize his thoughts:
- this wasn’t the suspect’s first foray into or around the house
- either he knew one or more of the victims or he’s been stalking one or more of the victims
- had the time to surveil the house at night
- had the time to be there that night to commit the crime
- may have been covering up wounds after the crime, may have shown up late for work and made an excuse for his absence, may have left the area for a period of time
- there was probably some stressor in his life before he committed the crime (loss of a relationship, loss of a job, some kind of conflict w/ one or more of the victims that made him feel emasculated)
- we cannot think of this guy as a monster because people will be looking for a monster and he’s not a monster; he’s a human being who did a very bad thing (IOW he could be your nextdoor neighbor or the guy on the street smiling in your face)
- the person we’re looking for had a stressor before the murders, had a change in behavior before the murders, and had a change in behavior after the murders

Seems like most of us on this board would have come to those same conclusions. The possibility of life stressors was something I'd not thought of, and that could very well help bring in tips. The others? All obvious.

I disagree with the killer not being a monster, but I understand what Mr. Clemente is getting at - don't discard a potential suspect purely because they don't seem outwardly evil.

ETA: By obvious, I do not mean all of those traits are definitively true, only that they are likely. Same as the profiler.

Last edited:
If one person kills four people with a knife, it's rage.

True, but it could be an internalized, pathological rage unrelated to the actual victims. That's what I feel is most likely here, particularly as the days and weeks go on without an arrest.

Speaking of which, no way I would let my child go back to school there until someone was in custody. The lack of public information for students and the community is disturbing. It reminds me of a PR consulting firm playing the 'long game' in the hopes that the story of their client goes away. Indeed, if they just hold out long enough, another squirrel will appear!

My opinion.

Posting for those catching up.

Idaho murders: Former first floor tenant of Moscow home says he couldn't hear activity from other floors

A former tenant of the Moscow, Idaho, home where four University of Idaho students were murdered on Nov. 13 says it was difficult to hear activity on the second and third floors of the home from the first, where he lived.

Ryan Augusta — a healthcare worker and local business owner who now lives in Genesee, Idaho — told Fox News Digital in an interview that when he lived on the first floor of the home on King Road in 2019, unless his roommate was playing the television loudly on the second floor, he typically "heard nothing" from the second and third floors.

"I wouldn't have heard it from downstairs," Augusta, 43, said when asked whether he could hear activity coming from the second and third floors of the house when he lived on the first floor.

Seems like most of us on this board would have come to those same conclusions. The possibility of life stressors was something I'd not thought of, and that could very well help bring in tips. The others? All obvious.

I disagree with the killer not being monster, but I understand what Mr. Clemente is getting at - don't discard a potential suspect purely because they don't seem outwardly evil.

Yes, obvious to some of us. But I've been reading WS theories all day, and it's clear not *all* of these things are on everyone's list.

I think you're missing the point about what he's saying about a monster. LE knows this too. People who look very threatening and crazy (monsters) are rarely responsible for crimes like this.

The perp of this crime (says this particular profiler - who is speculating like the rest of us) is a person who looks fairly normal. So, as a univ prof, I myself should not be looking at the Crazy-Pants students who write Monstrous and act Monstrous, but at more normal looking people.

And I agree. Because by now, the Monstrous ones have likely been looked at. You are right that this perp doesn't look outwardly evil (and is probably watching carefully, for a long time, to make sure he doesn't look evil).

Even if he's crime-adjacent, he's cultivated a "normal" - even "good" persona. Like the man who killed Arliss Perry.

Have classes resumed at the university? If so, I’m sure LE is checking attendance-enrollment records to see if any students have suddenly dropped out, disenrolled or simply been skipping classes.

Yes, obvious to some of us. But I've been reading WS theories all day, and it's clear not *all* of these things are on everyone's list.

I think you're missing the point about what he's saying about a monster. LE knows this too. People who look very threatening and crazy (monsters) are rarely responsible for crimes like this.

The perp of this crime (says this particular profiler - who is speculating like the rest of us) is a person who looks fairly normal. So, as a univ prof, I myself should not be looking at the Crazy-Pants students who write Monstrous and act Monstrous, but at more normal looking people.

And I agree. Because by now, the Monstrous ones have likely been looked at. You are right that this perp doesn't look outwardly evil (and is probably watching carefully, for a long time, to make sure he doesn't look evil).

Even if he's crime-adjacent, he's cultivated a "normal" - even "good" persona. Like the man who killed Arliss Perry.
Yes, I agree that the perp looks fairly normal, but maybe not for the same reasons... There are vanishingly few "monsters*" in living in society. In fact I'm not sure what behavior would qualify as a monster*, so maybe it's my lack of imagination.

* In this context I mean a person who could be said to act monstrously while otherwise living their free lives, generally not committing crimes.

Last edited:
True, but it could be an internalized, pathological rage unrelated to the actual victims. That's what I feel is most likely here, particularly as the days and weeks go on without an arrest.

Speaking of which, no way I would let my child go back to school there until someone was in custody. The lack of public information for students and the community is disturbing. It reminds me of a PR consulting firm playing the 'long game' in the hopes that the story of their client goes away. Indeed, if they just hold out long enough, another squirrel will appear!

My opinion.
Unfortunately, this could be true.

I'd go with "direct expression of rage" first, rather than "projected rage accumulated life experiences" in this one, but it could be either.

I think I'd be keeping my kids home, as well. Because the odds of it being a weird local psycho who could act again is just slightly higher than I'd like it to be.

Xana’s mom is on the phone with Ashley Banfield on News Nation right now. Another one hour special on the case. Kaylee’s family is also talking again. Said they feel some people were cleared too quickly. Can’t link because there’s no live feed I have to link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly