ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember the first interview Alivia gave after the murders? I can't seem to find it anywhere online. In that interview I remember how she described K as smart, driven, etc. but one thing she said was that K was a 'mean girl'. Does anyone remember that interview?
I remember that. I think the context was that she set boundaries. Maybe probably it’s in the Media thread.

Was Xana a regular there, I wonder? Known to the help?

Or was she in the habit of spelling her name aloud, "just in case"?

Does anyone call a delivery restaurant anymore, or do they all order online? I probably wouldn't guess the correct spelling of her name right off. Left to my own devices I'd opt for a Z.
I order online quite often, for pick up and delivery on UberEats, DoorDash, and Grubhub. If Xana had done so they would have be able to see the spelling of her name on the order.

Edited to add: sometimes restaurants will even encourage or direct you to use the food ordering apps over telephone ordering. It’s becoming the commonplace way to order IMO.

I feel like you may be right that they were together. Gruesome logistics aside that we won't know until atopsy. She was visiting her closest family outside of the nuclear one. They'd be enjoying all of it until yknow all the stabbing.
Add that to the photo of them as Brides Maids in the same wedding and other reported here that the families were quite close I would not doubt for a second they are used to sleeping in the same bed together. MOO

After all the info up to this point, I'm starting to get the vibe that it's becoming more and more possible that multiple attackers were involved in this. I understand a previous tenant said that it was hard to hear anything going on above but I just find it hard to believe that all of that was done on two levels without it being heard.

The only way in my opinion is that there were two. I understand they were sleeping and that could make it more plausible for just one attacker. I just think it is a possibility that hasn't had enough thought to it.

All my opinion.
I still think the killer slid off his shoes before entering slider because:
1) no tread pattern from sole of shoe would be discernible IOW, the shoes couldn’t be traced.
2) wore socks on feet to prevent bare footprints from being left on wooden floors.
3) killer wanted to be quiet
4) could easily dispose of a pair of socks

The reason I think this is because, nothing has been said about footprints leading away from the scene of the crime. Perhaps it’s been mentioned by investigators, but I don’t recall anything.IMO

Last edited:
I don’t think the Jack in the Box bag is significant. I think X was out running errands or hanging out with friends or whatever, called in a fast food order, and she picked it up on her way home. She could have ordered it days before and just left the bag sitting on the table/counter.
I often think of myself as being old, but does no one here know apps are the way kids place pickup orders from fast food places?!

Well, if we are to place significance on the word "their", then she would have not been correct to say "some". as we know for sure that both K and E were not killed in their beds no matter what. Jmo, I would never refer to 2 things as "some". I don't place a lot of faith in the communication skills of the coroner.
I thought she said initially that all were killed in their bedrooms—but it was reported as killed in their beds as she also said they were likely asleep when attacked. JMO

The coroner has said the victims were likely sleeping when they were murdered. Is there reason this shouldn’t be believed? There are so many theories that have E confronting the killer; How can he do that when he is likely sleeping - or did I miss an update?
I think we’re correct about it being a very specific detail about *whose* bed they were in because I just realized the coroner doesn’t backtrack or change her comment about them likely being asleep when the murders occurred.
We also have EC's parent's audible interview in their own voices stating victims E/X, were found in the same room.

ETA: And given the only source citing EC on the floor was the DM, I'll take the mother of the decedent's word every time.
Yes, I think it is irrelevant if E or anyone else was found in bed or not with regards to the "walked onto the prep" narrative. IMO, that theory is disproved with that constant sentence: "The coroner stated the four victims were likely asleep, some had defensive wounds, aand each was stabbed multiple times." (MPD)

MOO: So no-one walked to the livingroom and confronted the prep, not E, not X, not anyone else. They might have ended up elsewhere than in the bed due to the struggle, due to moving after the attack and before dying, simply falling off the bed due to the position they were left in and the gravity, or it might mean they were not in their own bed, but all this is not in conflict with them being asleep during their attack onset.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

On Friday during Xana's Celebration of Life at Real Life Ministries, I recall hearing from her sister or her dad that the sister attends University in Pullman. Perhaps she never thought it inconvenient to drive 10 minutes to Pullman where there's a 24-hour JIB. Xana had her own car and was not immobile.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know. Some say they were in their own bedrooms, some say they weren't. Maybe they started out in their own rooms and ended up in the same room during the murders. Let's use bedroom labeling as bedroom location rather than victim location.

If found in the same room, would it be Kaylee's bedroom or Madison's bedroom?
SC said in an interview in the last day or so it was in M’s room - he was apparently shown a photo of K’s bedroom, & her bed was made up & undisturbed.

Moo

Why wouldn’t you kill your intended target first? You don’t know how much time you have in that house.

MOO
May be all four roommates were the target period. But, maybe the killer was really, really, mad at just one of the roommates and that particular one received the worst of it. A target within a target ?

We don’t know what lock, if any, he fixed.
Precisely!
The only source for this was an interview with X's mom. Her father has never mentioned it and you would think he would have. I think her mom was confused by his statement:
"When I went up there... I saw her just a week before that and she changed a lot"
That got morphed into "I saw her just a week before that and she changed a lock"
That poor woman was a wreck in that interview, and she was confused on a lot of the facts.
Bless her heart. :(

Last edited:
I live in Moscow. It really is a ghost town. It feels to me like everyone is on edge. Main Street always looks like a Christmas postcard. This year there’s no joy, no holiday spirit, while walking down the street. Am I afraid? Yes, I am. We have added security measures at home, which helps a little. My husband works and I am often home alone. And I worry. I am praying this killer is found. Soon.
Make a plan. A can of raid by your bed—sprays several feet—easy to spray someone’s eyes. Check your locks and light bulbs. Know your phone’s 911 features. Hang bells on your doorknobs. Have a whistle by your bed. I always planted roses or other prickly shrubs under my windows. Don’t leave a spare key under your doormat or on top of the door jam. If your car has the panic button on your keys, keep them by your bed. I can activate mine from inside the house. Just think through what you would do. Call 911 if you feel frightened by a noise—keep them on the phone while you investigate. You can always apologize for false alarm. 6.8 billion people on the planet. Lots more good than evil.Take care.

SC said in an interview in the last day or so it was in M’s room - he was apparently shown a photo of K’s bedroom, & her bed was made up & undisturbed.

Moo
I think it's that photo from Fox of the exterior at night he was looking at. That top window is supposed to be K's room, and while the bed's not exactly "made", it's not a bloody mess either. There are better close-ups of that window but I'm old and tired. I don't use an app to order food. :p

idaho-university-4-dead-house-8.jpg

Last edited:
Would Uni. Report These Murders under Clery Act?
Thankfully universities which accept federal funding (which is effectively all of them) are required to abide by the Clery Act which requires colleges to submit and make public annual crime reports, as well as administer campus safety alert programs. It’s not perfect, but it ensures crimes aren’t swept under the rug.
@citizen_sleuth Thanks for your post w the link to Clery Act Appendix for FSA Handbook,*

Uni's & other certain institutions must file annual report w federal Dept. of Education describing crimes in three categories of locations:
Part II, pages 4-5, re Clery Geography** of those locations
basically boil down to campus, Greek houses, and certain publicly owned properties, which are " 2) within or adjacent to campus; and 3) accessible from campus."
From my reading of ^, this law does not require Uni. to include murders committed in privately owned prop, such as student housing at 1122 King Rd.

Presumably ppl who are college shopping & considering student safety issues, crimes, & crime rates in an area/city/town can get crime info from other sources --- fed, state, or local.
JM2Cents.

Last edited:
I agree with the opinion that this was a risky undertaking and so many details had to be just “so” to pull this off successfully. The killer had to be able to enter the house and enter each bedroom - how would he be sure the door to the house or the bedroom door(s) of his intended target(s) weren't locked? The killer had to be able to approach and disable each victim before anyone had the opportunity to run, fight back effectively, or alert anyone else. He had to kill quickly and quietly without being caught or trapped.
I personally believe that Ethan caught him in the house and that’s why he was killed, and Xana was a loose end.
If I was planning this crime I would be aware of many potential opportunities for things to go wrong. This took either careful planning and a lot of confidence, or he didn’t plan at all and just got extremely lucky. If he was brazen, he could have spent hours with the victims afterwards without being disturbed (I don’t think he did, but the window of opportunity was there.)
I am saying “he” because I am of the opinion that the killer was male.
All my opinion but I have been struck by how much of a chance the killer took by doing this. I can’t decide if he was incredibly calculated or reckless but lucky. JMO
He was angry and irrational- no cogent thinking involved.

To be clear, following the autopsy of all four victims by a contracted Medical Examiner in Spokane, WA, the County Corner in Moscow released a statement that the Cause of Death for each was Homicide, and the Manner of Death was stabbing.

The father of Kaylee has no knowledge of the other victims and can only compare Kaylee's stabbing wounds to Maddie's stabbing wounds. This was confirmed today by Brian Entin: Steve Gonsalves stated Kayley's wounds were worse than Maddie's wounds. Dad is not a medical professional and may not always use the correct words to communicate his thoughts.

Kaylee’s father clarified to say more wounds—not another method. Folks are parsing words spoken in generalities.

To switch gears quick, I have a question I don't know has been discussed - but I definitely could have missed it! We know the apartment complex that was on the hill/next to the house didn't have an active outdoor working building/flood light(s). Do we know how long this had been out/not working? It wasn't intentionally disabled somehow, was it? We know it was quickly fixed/lights replaced following this heinous crime.

I just find it so 'convenient', or so fortunate, rather, for the suspect that this was out/not working. And that this is so commonplace in other crimes - video surveillance happens to be down, no traffic cam at the exact spot needed, or like this - no light that would have possibly dissuaded a crime from happening. No guarantee it wouldn't have happened anyway, obviously, but if there were lights clearly illuminating the house and surrounding properties, it would have been even ballsier. A shame there weren't motion lights anywhere nearby,<
<modsnip - quoted post was removed for no links/discussion of unapproved sources/rumors>

I understand that the parents are frustrated, at the end of the day it is LE’s job to withhold information. Secondly LE cannot prevent a family from pursuing their own investigation, however they can strongly advise against it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members