ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was remembering a few times how sometimes the perp turns out to be a neighbor who was previously interviewed and cleared, cleared in the sense the neighbor didn’t set off any alarm bells at the time during regular canvassing.
I didn't see it covered here, my girlfriends sisters cold case murder was solved like 25 years later. Indeed it was a neighbor, just a couple houses away that still lived in his parents house near her mother's home and their childhood home, he was also cleared in 1982. Gay Lynn Dixon, Ft Collins Colorado.

edited for clarity

RE unconscious or nonresponsive. I believe MPD has indicated that 2 survivors tried to contact other 4 [when they didn't arise], via calls, texts, knocking. They first called friends to try to gain access--implying locked door

Last edited by a moderator:
What? Sorry behind on details. How is this possible? Wouldn’t that be one of the first things the roommates would do, look for the dog? Wasn’t the dog in another area of the house? Sorry for rehash, looking for link.

I don't think it's true

There is nothing in the police's new statement which suggests it took them hours to realise there was a dog there

I've not posted erotic asyphxiation, maybe some one else mentioned it. Just being kind and helpful to others here.
when you replied to me, it was to my post reply to steeltowngirl ( she mentioned erotic asphyxia)

If you use the small arrow you can track back how a conversation traces back

That’s suspicious in and of itself. Most people let their dogs roam freely thru out the house. The animal was secreted away when the murders occurred. This tells me that the perp knew he was going to kill people?
Kaylee's sister in one of her most recent interviews - with mom & dad - explained that the dog is still a pup and would likely run & hide.

entin tweets it in this way but there's nothing to suggest that the dog was secreted or put into a different room by perp

a room where murders not committed ?- could just be that the dog ran to hide in the corner of a kitchen, living rooms, bathrooms

Last edited:
Surely LE cleared the house immediately after discovering foul play.
Possible they kept Murphy in the room as to not disturb evidence.
Agreed, I assumed they knew he was there but let him be while they did more urgent work. Or not, maybe Murphy was still scared and under a bed. Either way he's okay.

well they also supposedly describe this victim, who is probably very clearly deceased, as being unconscious. my thought is they never saw the victim - the door was locked so they couldn’t get in that room.
i’ve also wondered how the survivors didn’t immediately notice that there had been a crime — but maybe the house was messy so any additional disarray didn’t stand out. or, maybe this killer was so precise, that the mess was contained to the beds/victims. i’d think there might be traces of blood and maybe there were but it wasn’t so obvious as to alert the roommates.
i don’t know - the more i think about it, the more creepy the scene sounds. IMO this killer knew exactly what they were doing

MOO
Someone had earlier mentioned that the only thing the two downstairs roommates noticed was that the slider was left open. Mrs G was right, it was like the “boogeyman” had committed the crime.

Decent Banfield tonight. Next guest was asked about 113 pieces of evidence. I agree with her, sounds like a low number considering 4 victims, 2 bedrooms, a 3 story house, entry point, exit point, outside, vehicles. The guest felt that it was problematic that the cars were towed to an outdoor lot, unprotected from the elements, unless the cars have been processed and are about to be released to family members. On to Murphy after the break.
Fox News Article

"They will be looking for potential clues in those vehicles. Maybe a slip of paper with a number or name on it. Anything that would help point them in a direction," Mains said. "They are towing them to their impound lot, so they can do a more thorough search where they can take their time and meticulously go through any possible evidence."

BBM

Mains added that the vehicles are needed for any case that will be built in the future.

Oddly, I have thought about Jayme Closs’ case a few times during all this. While the cases are different, an abduction, though her family was murdered, I’m reminded of how the perp targeted Jayme: It was simply just a matter of him driving by one day when she was getting off the bus and him seeing her, and iirc him basically getting it in his mind at that moment that he was going to come back for her. A simple random sighting, and he became fixated on her. That was all it took in her case. It could be something like that here, someone drove by and saw one of them and vowed to come back, or maybe saw them at another location, followed them home and found out where they lived, and planned to come back.

I still think all possibilities could exist here as far as the perp, a complete stranger, to someone who just saw one or some of them in passing, to an acquaintance, to someone being closely known to one or some of them, and degrees in between.

I was remembering a few times how sometimes the perp turns out to be a neighbor who was previously interviewed and cleared, cleared in the sense the neighbor didn’t set off any alarm bells at the time during regular canvassing.

One would think if it was a neighbor or someone very close by, that he would be caught with all the local attention, etc., but then there’s examples like Richard Allen in Abby’s and Libby’s case. I/we used to say if it’s someone in the area, he likely would have been caught by now, but that obviously isn’t the case. Of course that case is different, and there was audio and video (which didn’t turn out to be helpful as far as him being recognized locally), but you get the general idea. In other words, if he’s close, and just because LE doesn’t find him, it doesn’t mean he’s not there. He could be “hiding in plain sight”, as so many killers do. Or maybe he’s nowhere near, or in between, I frankly have no idea on this one, everything is on the table. But if I had to guess from a distance, I would guess he’s close by.

One never knows what’s going on behind the scenes. They could have some really strong leads, be watching persons of interest, who knows, or they could have nothing (yet) as far as concrete leads on the killer, but as we know an important part of the process is of course trying to cross people off the list, and new things are constantly coming to light I would think, especially with all the tips, etc.

They always say the level of rage, stabbing, is likely personal, but there have certainly been cases where people were stabbed to death without there being a personal connection between the victim and the perp.

As for knowing the layout of the house and possibly being in the house before, of course very possible, but if he knew where they lived, floor plans are available online as we know, so this isn’t a sure thing, imo. And even without that, random perps have entered houses way before the internet and done their deeds. Sure, are some scenarios possibly more likely, yes, but again, with the basic information we have, I’m not sure certain things can be taken for granted as being the case.

Could it be someone who felt slighted, jealous, rejected, etc. specifically by one of these victims? Of course, but it could also imo just be some random psycho or stranger.

So, in summary, a bunch of rambling that basically says who knows how this will turn out. The thing I think about a lot is how long will it take to catch this person.
Great post @margarita25. I also think about how half the town's population is college students. And police tending to random drunks in a nearby field while the murders were probably happening. All so very cruel and senseless. Special thoughts for the parents, families, and friends as reality sets in.

Which makes it even more incomprehensible that someone would want to hurt this young guy. I saw a photo of EC standing by some tulips and for the life of me can’t reconcile how savage, grotesque and vicious his death was. Who did this?
A rite of passage in the valley, this is also a must-listen. :(

I didn't see it covered here, my girlfriends sisters cold case murder was solved like 25 years later. Indeed it was a neighbor, just a couple houses away that still lived in his parents house near her mother's home and their childhood home, he was also cleared in 1982. Gay Lynn Dixon, Ft Collins Colorado.

edited for clarity
I'm sorry for your friend's loss. I remember this -- I was a student at the time and rumors were the defendant's brother was responsible.

That’s suspicious in and of itself. Most people let their dogs roam freely thru out the house. The animal was secreted away when the murders occurred. This tells me that the perp knew he was going to kill people?
Yes, that is my thoughts as well.
Why would K or M lock Murphy into a room away from where they slept?
If they did not, then it was the perp. What meaning could that have?
At least he was not killed with them, or let roam free where all the victims were. But, what meaning does that have that he is alive and was kept from the scenes?

I can speculate several possibilities, but I try not to and just ask questions instead.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member