ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the News Nation little crime lab bit, they made it seem like there was a lot of DNA and trace evidence, but it would be figuring out who all has been in that house and when, that will be the issue. Since so many people have spent time there. I can imagine they are first detecting how many DNA profiles they have, then identifying them one by one, and using that a starting point for suspects.
This was what I thought. So, if someone is "ruled out" based on DNA, it simply means their DNA wasn't found among all the DNA in the house.

Have the police actually said they ruled anyone out based on DNA? Or are we making that assumption because the neighbor has told the news he provided his DNA for the purpose of it ruling him out?

I think this is an important distinction to make, and I am not trying at all to imply that the neighbor wasn't ruled out. I think the distinction is important because, so far, we don't even know from the police IF they have been using DNA to rule anyone out at this point.

I have yet to see any news release from LE that says they are sure which of the DNA profiles they have from the house is of the assailant(s).

MOSCOW HOMICIDE UPDATE - DECEMBER 5, 2022

Part of the update:

"Using tips and leads, investigators have identified an incident involving Kaylee at a local business, which may have been the stalker reference she made to friends and family. In mid-October, two males were seen inside a local business; they parted ways, and one male appeared to follow Kaylee inside the business and as she exited to walk toward her car. The male turned away, and it did not appear he made any contact with her. Detectives contacted both males and learned the two were attempting to meet women at the business, this was corroborated through additional investigation. Based on available information, detectives believe this was an isolated incident and not an ongoing pattern of stalking. No evidence suggests the two males were involved in the murders. Investigators continue looking into information about Kaylee having a stalker. Information about a potential stalker or unusual occurrences should go through the Tip Line. "
There has to be much more to the stalker claim than this. People go out to meet other people all the time, and there is nothing unusual or stalker-ish about this scenario. The man didn’t make contact with K, whether he changed his mind, was too shy or intimidated or a million other reasons. It appears he followed a pretty girl into store. So?

I feel like the 12/5/22 LE update makes it more confusing as to where Ethan and Xana were between 9pm and 1:45am. The release implies but isn't conclusively saying, from how I'm reading it, that they were at the frat house. But in previous updates it seemed like they didn't know where they were during that time (that they were only confirmed in the frat house between 8 and 9pm), which made it seem to me like LE didn't want people to know that LE knew where Ethan and Xana were at that night (my assumption is that LE always knew). So seems relevant for some reason, but unsure why, especially given all the talk of Kaylee being the suspected main "target" (which may or may not be true)

All of these relatively quick rule-outs by LE could be indicative that they know who did this. Because part of their job is to rule-out as much as to rule-in, and announcing rule-outs so publicly could just be to stave off any "squirrel!" defenses at trial.

I hope so anyway.

Focusing on the bullet point about the whereabouts of X and E between 9 PM and 1:45 AM, I wonder if LE feels they were at the Sig Chi house that entire time? Or that they left and went somewhere else before heading home. They say they were "believed to be at the Sigma Chi house" and want tips on their "direction and method of travel." So I'm curious if they were not able to see them arriving at the King Rd. house on the Ring camera that showed the other two girls arriving home by the private driver? Could this mean they entered the second floor slider instead and walked out of view of the camera? If they only went to the frat house and back, that is walking distance and they likely just walked and didn't get a ride from anyone IMO.

Yes, it does make sense. If, for example, Kaylee was the primary victim and all the rest were collateral damage, it does pit the parents against each other. The other parents could say, what happened was due to YOUR child being targeted and my child would never have been killed if not for her. That is what he is saying. Then he went on to say that he told the other parents that should it turn out their child was the primary victim, he will not blame her or them for his daughter's death.
That's as maybe, but that's your interpretation.

There’s a good amount of info in the release. My takeaways are as follows:

1-There are no named suspects or suspects in custody, but does not state there are no suspects or POIs.

2- The release did not clarify more than “male in grub truck surveillance video”. In light of interviews today, I am surprised at that unless there is a reason. Nor was anything updated/added to that video in the rumor section.

3- Dog was found in room where murders did not take place. That leaves the 1st floor, Ks room on the 3rd floor, and the room opposite Xs on the 2nd floor.

4- The still don’t have a ton of info about X&Es whereabouts - how is that even possible?

In regards to the reports of K’s injuries being more brutal than the others … if true, an explanation for this could simply be that she was stabbed first and the killer simply had an adrenaline surge during her stabbing then just …got tired. MOO I don’t believe that the extent of her injuries necessary mean she was the “target”

Naturally, LE doesn't do this unless they have suspicions about a particular person.
That's not exactly true. If they are requesting samples from anyone that fits a particular dynamic or circumstance, like neighbors, males between certain ages, heck they have asked entire towns to provide samples in Great Britain. I'm just saying that if you feel like you have legitimate probable cause against me, get a court order or go dig in my trash.
I ain't volunteering mine.

Also from the release - DOG INFO

There have been numerous requests about the dog found at the residence on the
morning of November 13th
. Arriving officers entered the residence and found the
deceased victims. During the search of the home, a dog was found in a room where the
crimes had not been committed. Officers did not find any evidence on the dog and there
was no indication the animal had entered the crime scene. The dog was taken to Animal
Services and released to a responsible person.

While the dog was in the house when officers arrived, it has not been determined where
the dog was physically located when the murders took place.

This part is odd too. Was the dog in a crate? Was it closed in a separate room? By the victims when they went to bed, or by the perp before he committed the murders? Because it says "it has not been determined where the dog was physically located when the murders took place" - wouldn't there be blood on the dog if it was around during (or after) the murders? And if it was crated by the victims before they went to bed or something, wouldn't that be something the surviving roommates could confirmed ("we put the dog in the crate every night. or the spare room") or something like that. Just weird to me they don't know more about this, but not sure that it's really relevant..?

After reading the latest press release, I am going to say that LE is giving us way more information that Kaylee’s Dad is. For anyone criticizing him jeopardizing the investigation, I think some of the facts released today were not necessary for the public to hear.
Maybe not necessary, but today’s release seems aimed at getting more tips, and trying to protect the two males from harassment. The dog comment may actuall
There’s a good amount of info in the release. My takeaways are as follows:

1-There are no named suspects or suspects in custody, but does not state there are no suspects or POIs.

2- The release did not clarify more than “male in grub truck surveillance video”. In light of interviews today, I am surprised at that unless there is a reason. Nor was anything updated/added to that video in the rumor section.

3- Dog was found in room where murders did not take place. That leaves the 1st floor, Ks room on the 3rd floor, and the room opposite Xs on the 2nd floor.

4- The still don’t have a ton of info about X&Es whereabouts - how is that even possible?
4— it’s possible X&E were alone from 9-1:45.

That's not exactly true. If they are requesting samples from anyone that fits a particular dynamic or circumstance, like neighbors, males between certain ages, heck they have asked entire towns to provide samples in Great Britain. I'm just saying that if you feel like you have legitimate probable cause against me, get a court order or go dig in my trash.
I ain't volunteering mine.

In which case, they have suspicions about a bunch of individual people. Yes, LE does sometimes ask for mass DNA testing (but let's face it, it's more to see who DOES NOT have the relevant DNA and I'm hard pressed to find an example of someone actually donating their DNA in one of these mass volunteer drives if they know they are the perp).

Go dig in the trash is a metaphor for the kinds of brainstorming LE does in trying to find a way to get surreptitious DNA. It usually involves some tailing of the suspect, but I have also been hired to get a sample from some particular person - and been successful.

There are way more methods than just digging in the trash. Most people go to work and touch things. If you observe them closely, they may touch certain things frequently. Sometimes their guard is let down (also helps to observe them for a while) with a certain kind of person, a person they feel friendly toward. We sometimes prep officers to be that friendly kind of person by analyzing the interests and personality style of the perp. As I keep staying, people on the paranoid spectrum are harder for obvious reasons, but they too touch things. Like their car door handles.

Also I pointed this out a whileeee ago but I think in relation to K being the "target", I think it's relevant that she was visiting that night (or a couple of nights?) but otherwise didn't really live there anymore. So, if she was the target, the perp would have had to have known that she was in town (how? saw her? social media? stalker? word of mouth?)

I’m starting to get an uncomfortable feeling that all this targeting talk is leading to a type of “one upping”.

Obviously the extent, type, etc of wounds each suffered is relevant to LE and possibly solving this case.

But it’s not like the “target” got off any worse or better. They were all murdered in a place they should have been safe, while doing absolutely nothing they shouldn’t have been. That one may have had more extensive wounds doesn’t make them any more or any less a victim than the other three. It doesn’t make the families grieve more or less. Their loss is felt just a deeply as the others whether they were the pretty one, the smart one, the outgoing one, the strong male protector one.

And imo, they way that each family deals with the media does not mean they love their child more or less than the others.

Re: the dog, I feel, based on the newly-released comments about it being found in a room where the crime did not take place with no evidence on it, it may have run and hid when the intruder entered the home. It could even have been hiding under a chair, etc in a common area, such as the kitchen. It would not have to be in a private bedroom necessarily. I don't think we know for sure whether or not it was typical that they crated the dog, but if they did, that could be another possibility. Maybe its crate was in a common room. Just speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkravetsky