ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes we can agree to disagree. I am using facts and the higher probability, given the many many calls were not from one of the victims, but at last two, and around 2 am. and police have already said they do not have a record of regular calls to 911 from that house.
And we know from studies of violent crime victims that they very often feel something is off or have an interaction or notice something before an attack and do not call the cops. so yes, I think they both were making all those calls because of something that happened, subtle or overt that presaged this, and they noticed. Even if as young adults, the data show they were least likely to call cops.
Maybe K just borrowed Ms phone because hers wasn't connecting? We don't know that the calls were made at the same exact time. Plus if they were that disturbed, why turn the lights off and go immediately bed? Id probably leave the lights on!

I’ve been looking and can’t find anything explaining why they think it’s a Ka-Bar, does anyone know? That’s very specific, and a little ambiguous at the same time. Ka-Bar is a brand, not a style of knife. I’m guessing they’re referring to the KB USMC Fighting Knife like you’re describing, that’s what most would associate them with I suspect, but they also make hunting, camping, and bushcraft knives. Depending on what made them specifically say Ka-Bar, I think that could tell them a lot about this person’s background and/or interests.
I’ve thought this was pretty interesting too. I’ve found myself looking at every knife I see in an effort to determine if whatever knife I’m looking at could produce a similar wound as a Ka Bar - and I feel that many knives that I see could/would make a very very similar wound.

This make me wonder if/or think that an actual Ka Bar sheath was found at the scene. It just feels too specific.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the “viral” car stealing trend exploits a security flaw in newer model Hyundais (2016 and newer). The car we are looking for does not have this security flaw because it’s an older model. I agree it’s possible the car was stolen, but it was not “hacked” because of some viral story the perp saw.

This car does not have that vulnerability.

Thanks, Yes.

Can’t be said enough.

Maybe K just borrowed Ms phone because hers wasn't connecting? We don't know that the calls were made at the same exact time. Plus if they were that disturbed, why turn the lights off and go immediately bed? Id probably leave the lights on!
Yes! Exactly what I was thinking, why turn off lights and go to sleep?

I’ve thought this was pretty interesting too. I’ve found myself looking at every knife I see in an effort to determine if whatever knife I’m looking at could produce a similar wound as a Ka Bar - and I feel that many knives that I see could/would make a very very similar wound.

This make me wonder if/or think that an actual Ka Bar sheath was found at the scene. It just feels too specific.
I'm guessing forensics established the knife type

"Moscow Building Supply general manager Scott Jutte told the Idaho Statesman that a police officer stopped by the retailer more than once this week to inquire about the possible sale of a KA-BAR brand combat blade."

#kabar #knife

I’ve been looking and can’t find anything explaining why they think it’s a Ka-Bar, does anyone know? That’s very specific, and a little ambiguous at the same time. Ka-Bar is a brand, not a style of knife. I’m guessing they’re referring to the KB USMC Fighting Knife like you’re describing, that’s what most would associate them with I suspect, but they also make hunting, camping, and bushcraft knives. Depending on what made them specifically say Ka-Bar, I think that could tell them a lot about this person’s background and/or interests.
I too wondered, it appears is "like" a KA-Bar and apparently some detail only investigators know is what they led them to this type of knife. I looked up a picture of one and did not realize how bit it actually was omg! I could not imagine what it took to wield a knife like that. Makes me sick.

Is there evidence this person did not provide this information to police sooner? If not, I’d guess they informed police of this very early on.
The very first news release stated that the door was open when they arrived around noon. This is the first I heard of it being open earlier. If it was the exit point, then maybe didn’t wa t to make noise by closing the door or leaving a handprint on the door.

There’s an implication they could’ve solved their own murder, if only the calls were answered. We have K’s sister words in print, I’m more inclined to believe K’s sister, she knew her, we didn’t.

————————————

Between 2:26 and 2:52 a.m., phone logs show that seven unanswered phone calls were placed from Ms. Goncalves’s phone to a friend, according to her older sister, Alivea Goncalves. Several calls to the same friend were also placed using Ms. Mogen’s phone, the police said.

Alivea Goncalves said the calls were to JD, a fellow student who had been Kaylee Goncalves’s boyfriend for several years until recently, when they decided to take an amicable break. She said Mr. D missed the calls because he was sleeping and that her sister’s phone account did not show any other calls for that time period.
Mr. D has declined to discuss the calls. Alivea Goncalves said she and her family “stand behind J 100 percent and know he absolutely had nothing to do with this at all.”

She said that her sister frequently called people late at night — and often kept calling until they picked up — even if to ask a mundane question like what she ought to have for a meal.

I think your presumption is that her sister’s statement somehow precludes the possibility of K making exactly that type of characteristic, persistent call pattern to share something like “this guy was bothering me tonight.” I just don’t see why that would be the case?

Last edited by a moderator:
I too wondered, it appears is "like" a KA-Bar and apparently some detail only investigators know is what they led them to this type of knife. I looked up a picture of one and did not realize how bit it actually was omg! I could not imagine what it took to wield a knife like that. Makes me sick.
It’s evident to me this person has killed before - maybe animals, but this was way too brutal for someone who is soft, and has lived a soft life.

one thing that they look for with these types of wounds is the quillon/guard leaves a mark

yes we can agree to disagree. I am using facts and the higher probability, given the many many calls were not from one of the victims, but at last two, and around 2 am. and police have already said they do not have a record of regular calls to 911 from that house.
And we know from studies of violent crime victims that they very often feel something is off or have an interaction or notice something before an attack and do not call the cops. so yes, I think they both were making all those calls because of something that happened, subtle or overt that presaged this, and they noticed. Even if as young adults, the data show they were least likely to call cops.
The thought crossed my mind that where ever Murphy was Kaylee didn't see him and was calling J to see if he had picked him up. I'm Spitballing.

I’ll say this, as an Idahoan and outdoorsman, if I’m this guy I’m going straight for the mountains, and likely driving three hours north to the border, into the Canadian Rockies, and just continuing north as far as I can go. Like all the way north. I wonder if they’re able to track cash fuel purchases?
What would be an advantage to going to CA, like because it's less populated, or no extradition, or?

Or the father may have installed it wrong and it not locked. those electric locks will usually just kick back to unlocked if misaligned at all. From the outside that house is a secruity mess. sliding doors are the most vulnerable of all widely used doors. you can usually lift them an inch and take them right off track. And although it is common for college kids in off-campus group housing to have locks the doors they are usually not deadbolts and can quickly and quietly be defeated.
As the saying goes: locks only keep honest people out.
But you certainly make a good point. the lock may have been damaged on purpose. It can't be excluded
The father installed it?

The very first news release stated that the door was open when they arrived around noon. This is the first I heard of it being open earlier. If it was the exit point, then maybe didn’t wa t to make noise by closing the door or leaving a handprint on the door.
I do recall it being revealed that a door was open when they arrived. I believe it was said in reference to questions about whether forced entry had occurred. IMO, that doesn’t conflict with the possibility they might have already been informed that a neighbor observed the door was open earlier in the morning.

What would be an advantage to going to CA, like because it's less populated, or no extradition, or?
yeah, because the Canadian wilderness is so remote and huge, and because it’s something you already wish you could do, and now you have a reason. You could completely disappear, so easily, if you knew what you were doing. The kind of guy that might have a big ol’ knife for “bushcraft” as they call it today. My opinion of course, with the bias of myself being kind of wilderness survival type guy lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine