ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived in a very 'social' shared house in university. The year I had my finals, I usually went to bed earlier than my other housemates who didn't have exams, and honestly no kind of noise would have alarmed me. I slept through it all. I sometimes used to even wake up when visitors looking for the bathroom stumbled into my room by accident. I groggily gave them directions to find it and went straight back to sleep. Thought nothing of it.

College is a different universe and mindset. I would not be ok with that set-up now but back then it seemed normal and, weird as it sounds, non-threatening and fun in a chaotic kind of way. I would not be remotely surprised if the surviving roommates had zero idea what was going on in the rest of the house, as they were conditioned to comings and goings at all hours, between roommates arriving home and various boyfriends and friends on any given night. Assuming they could hear anything from upstairs, considering what a previous tenant said about how noise travelled poorly in that house. And factor in earbuds, which I did not have, and none of it surprises me that the downstairs roommates seemed to notice nothing or very little during the time of the attacks.
I actually lived in the Ted Bundy sorority house (many years later). What I found so interesting is many sororities on campus had sleeping porches after that - everyone slept in the same big room, bunks. But mine did not, even after what happened there. Everyone slept 2/room.

Keep in mind, the killer managed to kill in PAIRS, which would require killing TWO almost simultaneously. Initially attacking the first victim would almost certainly awaken the one lying next to them (even if drunk). ALL THIS, without alerting the subsequent PAIR on a different floor! I find this scenario almost impossible to accomplish without an extended attack, yet it was apparently done very swiftly and efficiently...covering TWO separate rooms.
Exactly why I think there were throats slit.

Interesting......A few years ago a first cousin of mine was murdered during a home invasion robbery. The suspect for that crime was arrested soon after on a car-jacking charge. LE at the time of that arrest did not have enough evidence to charge the killer with my cousins murder. It took almost a year for LE to solidify their case ( that whole time, the suspect was in jail on the car-jacking charge). They finally did charge the killer with the murder. All during the time leading up to the murder charge, LE was very tight-lipped about the case. (This would be county, state, and local police) They would only tell us that they do have a suspect, but need time to gather enough solid evidence to charge the suspect. The killer was eventually found guilty of the murder and sent away to state prison. We were very surprised and frustrated at how little info that LE would tell our family about the case.
Very similar to the Gainesville Murders
Murders Aug 24-27 1990
Arrested for robbery of a supermarket Sept 8 1990
On the radar for robbery and murders in Gainesville beginning of Nov 1990
Charged for Gainesville murders Nov 1991
Confesses Jan 1993
Guilty Plea Feb 1994

LE seemed pretty specific about the knife. They believe it is the military knife. Does that mean they need to look at military bases? Perhaps a soldier who was about to transfer or discharge and would not be returning to the area?
I would say that the answer would be a vague and fuzzy: "Maybe yes, but not as a focus".

In the end, a very significant number of servicemen would have no better access to large fighting knives and no more knowledge about using them to kill people than the average person off the street with access to Ebay and Amazon.

There could be an exception for infantry units in general, and elite infantry units in particular regarding fighting knife issuance and training (most service members are in neither category).

Then again, there is no indication that the murderer had any specialized training in the use of fighting knives beyond say, a horrific willingness to use one and probably over all athleticism.

In the long run, the use of a historic military knife just does not point directly at the perpetrator being a service member.
Of course, there is nothing about the circumstances to exclude a service member either.....

Last edited:
just re bit in bold

because of the co-mingling issues I was surprised that cremations happened so quickly.
Apparently the actual pathologist at Spokane is highly thought of but it's not as if any FBI/ISP forensic scientist can go back and do a double check on wounds of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th victims.

Me too! It bothers me every day. I am not optimistic that the co-mingling issue was sorted out properly (absolutely no mention of it so far per coroner). OTOH, could just be keeping it close to their vests - but typically it takes a special evidence collection team to both work on site and with the body to get that kind of evidence, which is then processed in the standard manner for DNA/RNA.

Ah - so one victim was buried. Was that EC?

No way to go back.

People were not safe before this act. This isn't the only killer out there; these aren't the first killings, and won't be the last. Long after this killer has been captured, there will be plenty of others out there, some even "inspired" by these killings.

Feeling safe and being safe are two different things. I think the less safe you feel, the safer you probably are, because you are being more cautious. Lock your dang doors. Put up curtains and blinds. Maintain a level of sobriety. Be aware of your surroundings.

It stinks to have to live this way, but this is the world we live in. It doesn't matter whether or not you believe in lightning, it will still kill you. Don't make yourself the next "target."

JMHO
Excellent points. I think it's also important to have a broader perspective. By historical measures, today is a very safe time to be alive. (It is, I promise!) Do be cautious and aware of your surroundings in a general sense. But, please, be aware of your internal dialog too. Don't allow yourself to become paralyzed by fear.

<modsnip>
This is just so heartbreaking. The one Mom that mentioned the boogeyman is right, 'the stuff nightmares are made of.'
I hope answers and arrest are soon. ♡

Last edited by a moderator:
LE seemed pretty specific about the knife. They believe it is the military knife. Does that mean they need to look at military bases? Perhaps a soldier who was about to transfer or discharge and would not be returning to the area?
Citation? I've not seen any LE statements claiming "it is the military knife."

Last edited:
Me too! It bothers me every day. I am not optimistic that the co-mingling issue was sorted out properly (absolutely no mention of it so far per coroner). OTOH, could just be keeping it close to their vests - but typically it takes a special evidence collection team to both work on site and with the body to get that kind of evidence, which is then processed in the standard manner for DNA/RNA.

Ah - so one victim was buried. Was that EC?

No way to go back.
Yes EC was buried. M & K cremated. Not sure if we were told about Xana.

If it was an acquaintance, then they were taking a HUGE RISK! LE will leave no stone unturned in identifying ALL those who have interacted with the victims (phone, text, email. Instagram etc). This was a person unknown to the victims. MOO.
I'd say anyone who chooses to commit murder is taking a "huge risk".

just re bit in bold

because of the co-mingling issues I was surprised that cremations happened so quickly.
Apparently the actual pathologist at Spokane is highly thought of but it's not as if any FBI/ISP forensic scientist can go back and do a double check on wounds of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th victims.
The Medical Examiner and/or pathologist can keep important tissue sections etc, for further studies while releasing the cadaver for cremation. Plus they'd have CT scans and MRI records.

I'd say anyone who chooses to commit murder is taking a "huge risk".
A random social media stalker would've have so much time to prepare and plan and wait. Maybe a DM (or many) that went ignored. Something triggered this. I trust LE will have full access to all email & social media accounts and DMs.

I've rented cars a lot of places, and my experience has been that there's a lot of overlap between OR, WA, Idaho, CA, MT - lots. And I noticed for two reasons - I like to imagine the scenarios that brought the car to me from somewhere else and I have a thing about numbers. I think it may depend on where you live, but there's major overlap in the PNW.
You do raise a good point, about Washington, Idaho, Montana, & Oregon (not so much CA). I've never rented a car in any of those states but I lived in several small towns on Northern ID (Coeur D'Alene, Rathdrum, Athol, Spirit Lake, etc) and in Airway Heights, WA. You would always see plates from the other states you mentioned.

Also,

4. Borrow a car from a friend or relative (with or without specific permission for the time period it was used)
Yes good one! Still risky... although I guess killers are risk takers.

I just had a bizarre thought... A killer can plan and plan all they want but they can never really plan or know how they will look or be after leaving their crime scene. Ex: injured, bloodied, scratched, dirt, soot, pet bite, etc. A bit out there with soot but you get my drift!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twettybird