ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean?

If seriously, without allegations or guesses, there are few sites where one can download one's DNA and get the reading of genes coding for different illnesses. Sometimes they will tell about predisposition to different addictions. I think there is a thread where these sites are named.

I totally agree. Already there's been too much said by the Mayor, the County Attorney and families of some of the victims. Nor do I think the designated spokesperson, Snell, is articulate enough to explain so people can take what he's trying to say to heart.

If seriously, without jokes, there are few sites where one can download one's DNA and get the reading of genes coding for different illnesses. Sometimes they will tell about predisposition to different addictions. I think there is a thread where these sites are named.
but a predisposition to addiction wouldn't mean one was addicted, so not sure it would matter.

We've seen the production numbers (~650k total Elantras). Conservatively, that's around 100k white Elantras (could be a bit lower or much higher imo, but - and I really want to emphasize this - the actual number is not important).

Your opinion is that somewhere around ~90% of those cars are no longer on the road?

Still curious what LE is supposed to do with this list of white Elantras. Maybe LE could assign 1 or 2 investigators. They're unlikely to pull dozens of agents off other assignments to search for this car. People are needed to follow up on other leads too.

Just an observation because I have a problem sleeping soundly. I have never heard of people sleeping thru a massacre of 4 people within a closed space. Or sleeping thru 6, 7, 8, or however many phone calls one after another. I find that very odd and sad because maybe, just maybe, they could have had some info to help make sense of this tragedy. Seems as if the crime was committed in a vacuum or an alternate universe! JMO

Cars.com is one web site, but it's probably a good source for estimating the percentage of Elantras from those model years that are white. Cars.com has 1,053 MY2011–MY2013 Elantras listed, and 104 are white. That would be almost exactly 10%. That's low compared to other vehicles but still significant.

There were 636,307 Elantras produced in MY2011, MY2012, and MY2013, so we can estimate that about 63,600 of them were white. It's tough to know exactly how many are still on the road, but the number is certainly at least 50%, or 31,800 vehicles.

There are about 1.15 vehicles for sale on cars.com versus about 290 million registered vehicles in the US. 290 ÷ 1.15 ≈ 252. In other words, there are roughly 252 cars on US roads for every car offered for sale on cars.com. If you assume that that proportion holds true for Elantras, those 104 white Elantras for sale would equate to 26,208 white Elantras on the road from the specified model years.

Other variables can come into play, but we have two conservative estimates that are reasonably close. Any way you look at it, there are tens of thousands of MY2011–MY2013 white Elantras still on the road. That isn't an opinion; it's math.

If anything, the actual numbers are probably much higher than those estimates. People tend to hang onto economy cars, so Elantras may be under-represented on cars.com, and for vehicles from those model years, it's likely that closer to 75% are still on the road.

Oh I’m glad they are approved sources here ! From following other cases I know they always get the best photos.
They both get real tabloid-y with the headlines though.
JMO
Tabloids have long been favored true crime reading as they tend to cover in detail the prurient; careful though, these are by no means ethical -- DM backed Hitler in '33; the Post is Murdoch-run.

I think it’s worse than that.

It’s huge like the biggest one, but the entire top edge is aggressively serrated.

Most knives are singled edged. Not this one. We can’t be sure, but that’s the Rambo Survival knife that was iconic and Kabar made it.

It’s over the top. Not made for camping.

It’s made for penetration and damage, IMO.
I suspect so too.

Just an observation because I have a problem sleeping soundly. I have never heard of people sleeping thru a massacre of 4 people within a closed space. Or sleeping thru 6, 7, 8, or however many phone calls one after another. I find that very odd and sad because maybe, just maybe, they could have had some info to help make sense of this tragedy. Seems as if the crime was committed in a vacuum or an alternate universe! JMO
Kids often turn off their phones and rely on texts to be taken the next day. That house is big and the way it's hodge-podged together makes it more wide open than closed.

if you listen to the link. you'll hear him say that. others have said it, too, I believe, but this is the link I have, and I heard it right here on WS. so I thought it was an acceptable source. I'm not elaborating, just saying that it was considered a legit link and worth considering.
The guy who says it is not in a position to know. He's using words too casually for someone who is not part of the investigation.

Obviously, I agree. I think the LE has a white Elantra with plates that don't match the vehicle, and now they are at the end of options to determine who might be driving one. If the killer drove for any number of miles in that car, they had to get gas (that would be stupid, but criminals are not always brain trusts). Maybe someone saw them on the road? maybe someone saw them in Moscow? but pretty sure that if LE didn't have to ask, they wouldn't IMO. too much risk, not enough reward, and the sheer number of crazy leads.
If that was the case, wouldn't it be much simpler for LE to share the plate number that doesn't match?

I don't understand the desire to read between the lines of official news releases for some hidden meaning. The statements seem pretty straight forward to me, so why not take MPD at their word? They're "interested in speaking with the occupant(s) of a white 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantra, with an unknown license plate".

Last edited:
If someone borrowed your white Elantra, you might get suspicious. The whole country is on the look out for a white Elantra
Assuming you knew they borrowed it. If the car was 'borrowed' from a parking garage or even from an elderly person who didn't drive at night, it could have been returned a couple hours later leaving the owner with no idea it was ever gone.

The guy who says it is not in a position to know. He's using words too casually for someone who is not part of the investigation.

I think that would be true of every expert that's linked here with the exception of LE. Since WS allowed it, I considered it, as have others.

This is from November 19, 6 days after bodies discovered.
It shows investigators measuring for “ skid marks “ as the reporter says. Wondering now if it has to do with the white Elantra.

Also, reporter says LE says there was a struggle before the killings.
Don’t remember hearing that before.

<iframe loading="lazy" width="560" height="315" src="https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/embedded-video/mmvo154486341806" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Wow. I hadn’t heard of a struggle before either. Could explain the victims not all being in their beds comment from the coroner. But I wonder why that hasn’t been widely reported? Seems like a very significant detail if true.

“Investigators have learned that a physical struggle took place before the murders happened…”

It was also mentioned that investigators were in the backyard putting down evidence markers, digging through the leaves, pulling things out… I wonder what they found - maybe blood?

MOO

I think that would be true of every expert that's linked here with the exception of LE. Since WS allowed it, I considered it, as have others.
Offering an expert opinion about this is far different than stating facts to which the person has no access. The idea that there is no DNA or fingerprints flies in the face of common sense. It was a party house. There's DNA and fingerprints everywhere. The problem is determining which matter and which don't. That may be sort of what he meant, but it's not what he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member