ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect Kaylee G was targeted.

I have no reason to disbelieve the Father, who mentioned severity of wounds.

It’s also an odd coincidence that Kaylee made the trip there to show off her new Car, and was only there for a limited time, as she was scheduled to leave permanently, starting a new chapter in her life.

IMO.
I think the same.
For all we know, it was an attempted kidnapping on Kaylee but it went wrong.

So how does Idaho prosecute people they believe have committed a serious crime if they can't take their DNA to match DNA recovered at a crime scene? Or exonerate someone?
but that's only Idaho, and it varies by state and some collect at arrest . I posted links upthread. editing to add this link:

as an example, CA collects at felony arrest - without warrant/judicial order/consent, just as a matter of process and the SCOTUS upheld it. imo, that's the right decision, along with fingerprinting, but that's just my opinion. not all states do that, but that doesn't mean LE can't get a warrant/order for it. two different things.

Last edited:
All were likely stabbed with one weapon.

Per Coroner.

IMO, one Perp

“Mabbutt, who wrapped up the autopsies Wednesday, previously said the killings were not a murder-suicide. The toxicology reports are still outstanding. She said the same knife was likely used to kill all four victims.”

Do think the killer is a “plain sight”?

not convinced that they did not shower and change before bed. K and M are described as "drunk" by some people who watched the food truck video, but if you have been out that long, not sure you would get in bed without showering and changing- uncomfortable to sleep in jeans, make up(?), carbonara on your teeth, etc. LE would know this of course and I do not imagine the killer stabbing through clothing, but I may be wrong about that as well. IMO
Sure. They could have, but I also know many who, if they’ve had enough drinks, just fall into bed half dressed.

IMO…. No way the killer was hiding in the house prior to the murders. The only rooms (other than bedrooms and bathrooms) that had doors were tiny closets and a crowded furnace room.
The attic? How would you get out of there without a prepositioned ladder and not make a ton of noise?..
I still think if someone was hiding in the house, the dog would have been upset, whining, pacing etc. This would have been a very big clue IMO

There was a neighbor who swabbed themselves? Is that even permissible? Would that evidence even be allowed at trial? But that would be a very good way to surreptitiously gets someone’s palm print

He volunteered to get a swab, I suppose. It wasn't given for trial. He wanted LE to clear him (and they did). And now they have his DNA.

I do believe he insisted on having it done or perhaps had it done with his own kit (no clue).

I suspect Kaylee G was targeted.

I have no reason to disbelieve the Father, who mentioned severity of wounds.

It’s also an odd coincidence that Kaylee made the trip there to show off her new Car, and was only there for a limited time, as she was scheduled to leave permanently, starting a new chapter in her life.

IMO.
You make good points. I wonder how K was able to take 1 1/2 weeks weeks of school (or maybe she did online while visiting parents) and then return to UI as a surprise/show off new car, then planned to leave again to celebrate her Mom's birthday I think Tues 11/15 then return to complete semester and attend commencement/graduation ceremony which just happened. Unfortunate timing or target? I also wonder what the co-parent dog arrangement was with the ex?

“Green (1978 pp.161-163) carried out research into the biomechanics of knife wounding, and found that the ‘ideal’ weapon was a short, thin bladed stiff knife of approximately 7cm long (such as the commonly encountered ‘lock knives’ or small 'sheaf' knives) and that larger knives required significantly more force to penetrate skin – their tip were observed to ‘catch’ on clothing. Cheaper domestic ‘kitchen’ knives tended to bend and break on impact.”

Read more: https://forensicmed.webnode.page/wounds/sharp-force-trauma/stab-wounds/
(Don’t click this link if you have a weak stomach/picture of a stabbing victim.)
Nothing will get me to click on a link quicker than saying “Don’t”
lol

Got me wondering which neighbor

I am not sure, but think it was one of the first victims of the rumor mill. The inhabitants of Moscow, Idaho were yet unknown to the wide internet community, no faces and no names, and this guy made the mistake of giving a video interview to some news outlet, with foreseeable consequences. He later gave another one, saying that he was ready to give DNA and to be fingerprinted, but he had no connection to these four.

To add to your point:

2nd person stabbed has two DNA mixtures
3rd person stabbed has theee DNA mixtures
4th person stabbed has four DNA mixtures.

And that’s at a minimum.

You could have a dirty knife that already had some DNA on it.

Good point.
IMO, not if the killer ran it through a dishwasher

During an investigation they can get a search warrant to collect DNA from a suspect with probable cause, and people being interviewed can voluntarily submit DNA for exoneration
Ok so LE can take DNA with probable cause and judge's ok. I'd think they might just be asking some students to swab to eliminate them from the pool of collected DNA from a very social house. Are they still allowed to do the old call them in to interview, would you like a beverage, then swab it?

So how does Idaho prosecute people they believe have committed a serious crime if they can't take their DNA to match DNA recovered at a crime scene? Or exonerate someone?
LE would need to get a warrant...and warrant I think only issued if probable cause. For example, I would think LE would be able to get a warrant for DNA from creepy lurking Grub hub guy but maybe not for the frat boy who hugged Maddie. My advice to people would be to be careful to freely give DNA to police even if you are completely innocent, as police like in this case seem so inexperienced for this caliper of a crime that things can go wrong with your submission. Get an attorney to represent you and your best interests. No, I am not an attorney. Just someone who is fascinated with true crime.

You make good points. I wonder how K was able to take 1 1/2 weeks weeks of school (or maybe she did online while visiting parents) and then return to UI as a surprise/show off new car, then planned to leave again to celebrate her Mom's birthday I think Tues 11/15 then return to complete semester and attend commencement/graduation ceremony which just happened. Unfortunate timing or target? I also wonder what the co-parent dog arrangement was with the ex?
I do think it was interesting they got a dog together when they didn’t live together? Seems like a hassle to share a dog with someone living elsewhere by choice. Wonder how that worked as well

Someone that wished to do her harm had a severely limited window, and may have feared she would up and leave any day.

Same in Washington it appears. So those arrested for felonies but convicted of a lesser crime won’t be in the database.
nope. not if they get a warrant or judicial order. people are getting confused and these are two separate things. some states do it at arrest without warrant/order. others get it with warrant/order. it does not mean that it can't happen.

Same in Washington it appears. So those arrested for felonies but convicted of a lesser crime won’t be in the database.
Yes, and it’s interesting how there’s two trails of states where perps have less chances of having DNA collected. If I were doing felons I would work within those areas. Jus sayin.
On the other hand, innocent people also have their DNA collected upon arrest and put in the national database in most states even if their charges are dropped.
1010D3A1-A6DE-43A3-9BA5-DE0B000F1349.jpeg
NCSL photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members