ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xana was in my consumer behavior marketing class, and Kaylee was in my friend’s sorority. Ethan shared a class with my roommate, and both Xana and Madison worked as servers at Mad Greek, a popular restaurant in Moscow. My parents swear that Xana waited on us the last time we ate there. Despite all of this, I don’t pretend to have known them. But UI is a small campus, and this touches all of us. Every student.

In some ways, I don’t believe I will ever view Moscow in the same light.

Is it still the quiet, safe, small town it was before?

Where can I walk?

When can I be alone?

How much do I worry about the darkness that now visits at 4 p.m.?

Pepper spray isn’t exactly the kind of thoughtful roommate gift you think you need until it’s attached to your key chain, weighing you down with the truth of your new reality.
Thank you for sharing. So well-written! She really gives voice to the challenges so many are facing because of this tragedy.

I can understand the theory that maybe Maddie was the target because Kaylee wasn't supposed to be there. But what if the attack happened when it did because Kaylee was back in Moscow. Maybe the killer saw she was back and that triggered the attack? Just a thought.

I can understand the theory that maybe Maddie was the target because Kaylee wasn't supposed to be there. But what if the attack happened when it did because Kaylee was back in Moscow. Maybe the killer saw she was back and that triggered the attack? Just a thought.

They blasted everything on SM.

And a bountiful network of friends. I imagine everyone knew Kaylee was coming back.

Why would FBI be so heavily involved in what might otherwise be a very local killing? 46 FBI investigators across the country, not just in Moscow, Idaho. And the two agents from the Behavioral Analysis Unit? That is in addition to the State Police, and the local/county presence. That is a lot of investigative fire power, with a lot of deep resources.

Instead of spending time talking about the dog, or a front door that was left open, might something else be going on here?
Well, remember, as soon as they grokked this case, they realized that it is a week away from Thanksgiving and this campus is going to disperse to the winds, and who knows how many are ever coming back behind this shtt. So their need might have been geographic/logistic, beyond the usual Hollywood "This is my crime scene, Sheriff!

But DNA is used not only to find criminals. They’re victims, too, all these nameless remnants in NAMUS. All those who had accidents on the roads and were found later. I personally believe that having DNA database helps more than hurts.
A Supreme Court majority agrees with you that the government’s interest outweighs an arrestee’s expectation of privacy but some people disagree with that 4th Amendment interpretation. The margin of victory was slim, Scalia dissented.
I don’t think the government is forcing collection of felons’ DNA with the intent to assist NAMUS, it’s a side benefit (NDIS searches), criminal evidence collection is the primary purpose of the program. Recently it’s been suggested it could be used to track women who have abortions.
I personally have no problem with my DNA in a genealogy database but some do, it’s voluntary.

They blasted everything on SM.

And a bountiful network of friends. I imagine everyone knew Kaylee was coming back.
And yet her mum said this was a last minute decision for her, because she couldn't make her mind up whether or not to go. Source

Mom - Kaylee, she just left on Friday.. she left on Friday morning to go to a Pi Phi party and she had just bought a brand new Range Rover, and she just.. she contemplated all day long, whether she should go home because she just really wanted to show it to Maddie and some other friends and whatnot and she's just like 'mom I'm gonna go, I'm gonna go to the Pi Phi party and I'm gonna.. Maddie's gotta see my new ride' and I'm like 'for sure', like I mean it was nice, it was really nice. She'd just bought it that day, all her own, and I talked to the girls on... she'd had a fun time on Friday night, both of the girls, and then both the girls texted me on Saturday.

ETA: Quote and source.

A Supreme Court majority agrees with you that the government’s interest outweighs an arrestee’s expectation of privacy but some people disagree with that 4th Amendment interpretation. The margin of victory was slim, Scalia dissented.
I don’t think the government is forcing collection of felons’ DNA with the intent to assist NAMUS, it’s a side benefit (NDIS searches), criminal evidence collection is the primary purpose of the program. Recently it’s been suggested it could be used to track women who have abortions.
I personally have no problem with my DNA in a genealogy database but some do, it’s voluntary.
correcting because I flipped the states. California State Supreme Court upheld the CA law, but it's not a requirement that states do it.

SCOTUS Maryland v King decision meant that CA could stand.

Last edited:
Even if your DNA is not in a database, familial DNA can find you.

If this person is a US citizen, their time is limited. It is only a matter of time

The genetic bread crumb will lead investigators to you. There is no escape.

Last edited:
SCOTUS did uphold the CA law, but it's not a requirement that states do it
In CA, the State Supreme Court upheld collecting DNA from arrestees.
The SCOTUS ruling was based on a Maryland DNA law, it overturned an appeals court ruling that found arrestees DNA inadmissible.
But you’re right, there’s no requirement that states do it.

Supreme Court Upholds Warrantless Collection Of DNA
“With Monday's ruling, the court has now overturned the Maryland Court of Appeals' decision”

California's Controversial DNA Collection Law Upheld in Court
“The state Supreme Court left intact a voter-approved California law Monday that requires police to collect DNA samples from anyone arrested on suspicion of committing a felony, sidestepping questions about what it means for the tens of thousands of people who are arrested but never charged or convicted.”

[edited to add links]

Last edited:
Even if your DNA is not in a database, familial DNA can find you.

If this person is a US citizen, their time is limited. It is only a matter of time
Yes, but “a matter of time” is doing some heavy lifting here.
CODIS matches to DNA already in the government’s possession, forensic genealogy traces family trees to identify unknown DNA, which can take years.

The protection of the people outweighs the privacy of the criminal

Yes, but “a matter of time” is doing some heavy lifting here.
CODIS matches to DNA already in the government’s possession, forensic genealogy traces family trees to identify unknown DNA, which can take years.
Other distant family members on the criminal database

A physical digital identikit profile of the perpetrator. Attributes, like height, skin shade, hair color, etc

So many avenues. Metadata, even with a burner. Then multiply all the data to hunt the perpetrator.

Flash bangs in the window, anytime the night! Boom boom!
images.jpeg-33.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a theory that I have been tossing around. So let's assume that Kaylee was the target. She arrives back in Moscow to show off her car to her friends. The person or persons that have an issue with her see that she is back and decide that this may be their last opportunity to get to her. So they follow her when she and Maddie go out. Once the girls get home they watch the house and wait until it's quiet and go into the house through the sliding door on the 2nd floor. They go up to the 3rd floor and find that K and M are asleep in the same room. At this point they feel they have reached the point of no return and murder both K and M. Meanwhile on the 2nd floor either Ethan or Xana or both are awoken by the noise upstairs, or maybe the dog heard something and started barking. As the the Killer or Killers came down the stairs to leave the house they run into E or X who are up investigating the noise. Maybe E and X can identify them so the murder them. They leave the house the same way they came in.

Again just a theory and this assumes that Kaylee was the target and the that Killer or Killer's knew the layout and where the victims slept.

The females are very small. Quite common for cowardice thrill killers.

This is the last time the group will be together. Its now or never!

This the killers opportune moment, but the window of time is tight.

1. The sun comes up in just over two hours.

2. The girls would not be in this house again next year

3. It was the weekend and this was it

This was a big gamble for the perpetrator, but this was the final opportune moment to carry out the attack. Kaylee would not be back. It was graduation.

IMO .., I had one set of theories but recently have begun to speculate if this were two killers . Each killer has a slightly different antagonism to someone in the four
The 2 killers commence their plan to murder either X or E and do so together because to overwhelm a couple when a killer is alone would be extraordinary difficult I think. During this time they realise the two rommmatesupstairs had heard or seen them at some point in the evening or perhaps they hear their voices upstairs giggling or the dog start barking

So they proceed upstairs to murder k and m. Maybe D and B weren’t even on their radar or perhaps they were confident they were not witnesses
So killers depart.

Question is who might the two people be who are together and both happen to have big blades . The Elantra was the potential escape vehicle .cops hope the one who s linkablr to that will now make a move or try to confess

As to a motive to commence this horror..,,who knows nothing justifies it to the mind of a sane person , but jealousy , money or drugs spring to mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessicawilliams0