ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many white Elantras worth around $8000 has LE found in the past 4 weeks?

Where is this car?
I don't know, but IMO I think they must have photos from a ring camera or from the traffic cameras. There are 12 traffic cameras in Moscow, and one is placed right at 95 and Palouse River Dr. Between fog, angle and glare, IMO the make/model would be easy enough to ID but good luck with the license plates - reflection, glare really interfere. also, it occurs to me that in the PNW, a +-12yo car might not have original floor mats, esp in winter, esp carpet, and good chance they'd be replaced with rubber. IMO the floor mat carpet fiber might be a good one, but 12 years later - maybe interior fabric more likely. IDK. I do think that process of elimination has allowed LE to narrow down to the Elantra, but if they know who owns it, it's really hard for me to believe they're waiting for a tip on that. all just my own opinion. Nothing here can be or should be read as fact. here's the link to the cameras if you're interested - Idaho 511 Travel Information

the Palouse / 95 one I furthest south.

How do we know K had more significant injuries, because her dad said the injuries "Don't match" or did he explicitly say her injuries were worse? I didn't see where he said it specifically I may have missed that. However, does that mean she was the target? Perhaps she woke up during this and she was hit with a blunt object to subdue her or wounded in some way to render her less likely to fight back and interfere with whatever plan this killer had set in motion.

You are missing something. Rewards are useful for generating leads once a case grows cold and fades from public memory. This case is nowhere near that stage, and LE is receiving a flood of tips.
There are times where rewards are offered within the first two weeks

If this was a methodical serial killer, one thing I don't understand is why the killer would attack that night? If he had been watching the house and planning to do something like this, why would he pick a night that both E and K were there? He was taking a huge risk with two additional people in the house that night, especially one of them being E. That doesn't make sense IMO.
this is just my theory on that - he had been in the house before, had peripheral interaction with them, had placed his own camera/mic/monitor and so it was not a wild guess. jmo about one possible explanation.

If downstairs occupants were targets, the bottom floor would have been primary access?

I feel the front door was open because someone came running out the next day after seeing the bodies A
How do we know K had more significant injuries, because her dad said the injuries "Don't match" or did he explicitly say her injuries were worse? I didn't see where he said it specifically I may have missed that. However, does that mean she was the target? Perhaps she woke up during this and she was hit with a blunt object to subdue her or wounded in some way to render her less likely to fight back and interfere with whatever plan this killer had set in motion.

Im pondering LE gave general statement about injuries, but some had varying injuries. AIMOO

It might be useful for those interested in this case to take a look at another recent case, the Piketon, Ohio mass murders, in which it took over two years to analyze the forensics and collect enough evidence to arrest the perpetrators. In a bloody massacre of 8 people at 4 sites, no DNA was left other than that of the victims. This case had more crime scene sites, but probably less DNA since these were private homes, not a university house where lots of young people come and go. It's worth a look at the YouTube trial testimony of investigators in the Pike County case to learn how meticulous and careful investigators have to be to get a conviction.

Here is what an experienced investigator says about the Idaho case:

Weeks or months. And remember, the perpetrator here may not have DNA in CODIS or when they run it, there may be a hit to other crimes, which LE might prefer to keep quiet until the arrest. What matters here is finding this killer and preventing him from attacking again, which might be easier if he doesn't know what LE knows. Hence not blabbing everything LE knows to the public.
In the Ohio case LE had a huge advantage from the start. Motive and suspects were known pretty quickly. It was a case of having to prove it.

I’m not trying to be ambiguous. What I mean is that there may be something more frightening to these people than the thought of getting in trouble with the law. LE has been calling them forward, but what if they truly have reason to fear for their safety? What could make that happen?
This is really a good point, people are afraid to get involved. Who will protect them if they have to be a witness.

Not at all. But DNA alone won't convict in this case. They are going to need a story and some evidentiary pieces to that story.

My opinion.
Depends where the DNA is. If it’s in a wound or they have a piece of the killer’s clothing with both his blood and the victims’ blood, it surely would be enough. And a lot will depend on whether the killer had a reason to be in the house (e.g. was he a student who had partied at the house before or was he someone who the victims likely would not have known and had no reason to have ever been in the house before the murders).

Has anyone full details into the door lock repair?

One of the fathers repaired?

How did the lock come into disrepair?

Not at all. But DNA alone won't convict in this case. They are going to need a story and some evidentiary pieces to that story.

My opinion.
Once they have a POI

The issue with many of these non crime of compassion cases, is the person is not an associate

A distant non associated perp.....

This is really a good point, people are afraid to get involved. Who will protect them if they have to be a witness.
JMO but if I know someone is a quadruple murder suspect likely to be arrested, I'm going to feel much safer with them locked up than have them free to wonder if I'm going to speak up.

There are times where rewards are offered within the first two weeks
Perhaps. The context is important though. You suggested that the lack of a reward may tell us something meaningful about the inner workings of the investigation. I don't think that's correct, as it's not unusual for there to be no reward at this stage.

can someone tell me what moo means? i see it a lot on here sorry if its dumb
Here's a list of most of the acronyms used here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads