ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are missing something. Rewards are useful for generating leads once a case grows cold and fades from public memory. This case is nowhere near that stage, and LE is receiving a flood of tips.
Sometimes yes but sometimes rewards are offered up early on by loved ones, the police or others in the community. Starting out at $5,000 can't hurt. I feel they are zeroed in on 1 to 3 people and just need stronger evidence like digital data of a cell phone moving (traveling) in that area between 3am and 4am. Not a high traffic area at that time. This could have the making of a Rhoden/Wagner investigation where they don't want to drop the ball and blow it on technicalities or circumstantial evidence that can be explained away.

I think they've nothing.
If they had more clues, they'd be using the public for help.

The perp probably did a bit of planning but probably got lucky on multiple factors like no camera saw him, no witnesses, no survivors, no noise.

If LE have no DNA, no witnesses, no video footage, no obvious suspects, then what do they do?

They interview everybody in the various circles around the victims hoping something stands out. Everyone has the same alibi "I was asleep in bed". Can you prove it? "Can you prove I wasn't!?"
But maybe the perp was someone just outside these circles.

After a month all the DNA and digital data has been analysed. Everyone's interviewed.
So it's obvious they've nothing.

The perps feeling cocky. Will probably start planning another massacre.
I’m in agreement with you: I don’t think LE (not for a lack of trying) has the foggiest idea who the killer is.

And regarding whether he’s gearing up to do it again: Maybe. If he’s a SK, they can technically be satiated for weeks/months/years off a murder and so it depends on his motives and how quickly he cycles through… If it’s a SK, and a smarter one at that, he technically still could be delighting in the fact that LE hasn’t caught him yet and that’s also keeping him fulfilled— some SK’s love to play cat and mouse games with LE to “prove” how intelligent they are.

IMO, he seems to have some semblance of self control and may be cautious, practical, and more methodical than other thrill-type killers. He just might be relishing in all the media attention right now and reliving his night… Maybe, he’ll be more apt to quench his thirst again if the case goes colder and he begins to psychologically crave whatever committing these types of murders does for him (his real MO) but also, but also mentally crave the feelings of superiority the media/LE attention it brings him if he’s able to outsmart everyone else for awhile.

He may get more brazen. But, then again it’s hard to say, because even if he’s a SK, it’s really important to know what type he is and what his motivations are that feed him and/or drive him to commit these horrific acts… Motive(s) are difficult to figure out and understand because these people don’t operate on any level of rationality or decency and SK motives look more like overlapping Venn diagrams that are almost unique unto themselves.

can someone tell me what moo means? i see it a lot on here sorry if its dumb
It means My Opinion Only. MOO

Actually a very good question.

Here is a link to all of Websleuths acronyms, enjoy!

Not necessarily. Consider, we can’t just rely on what DNA was left on the girls by the killer that evening. M&K were out at a crowded bar all evening and then went to the food truck. Can you imagine how many people brushed up beside them, gave them a hug, etc? E&X were also at a party. You try to isolate all the DNA on each body which is difficult enough and takes a lot of time, then you compare that to all the dna on the other three bodies, and see if one isolated sample shows up on all 4 bodies. Then you have to see if the identified/mutual sample belongs to someone in a DNA database somewhere.
This crime scene is a DNA cluster…….
not convinced that they did not shower and change before bed. K and M are described as "drunk" by some people who watched the food truck video, but if you have been out that long, not sure you would get in bed without showering and changing- uncomfortable to sleep in jeans, make up(?), carbonara on your teeth, etc. LE would know this of course and I do not imagine the killer stabbing through clothing, but I may be wrong about that as well. IMO

Sometimes yes but sometimes rewards are offered up early on by loved ones, the police or others in the community. Starting out at $5,000 can't hurt. I feel they are zeroed in on 1 to 3 people and just need stronger evidence like digital data of a cell phone moving (traveling) in that area between 3am and 4am. Not a high traffic area at that time. This could have the making of a Rhoden/Wagner investigation where they don't want to drop the ball and blow it on technicalities or circumstantial evidence that can be explained away.
I followed that case I know how frustrating it was and how long it took

Permanent town residents vs temporary college students. Ashleigh Banfield mentioned that last years mayoral race was impacted by a comment that the students act entitled to whatever they want because they bring daddy’s money with them while they’re there.
Do you have a link? As a local, I’d appreciate understanding the context because I’d hate to incorrectly think that’s one of the dumbest things I’ve heard a talking head say. TIA!

For those interested, here are the completely uncontroversial results of that election:
Election Information | Moscow, ID

EBM: I see you provided the link shortly after the comment - thanks!

Just a completely ignorant comment by a talking head who doesn’t even have correct population numbers at the beginning of an otherwise interesting discussion, JMHO.

Last edited:
If this was a methodical serial killer, one thing I don't understand is why the killer would attack that night? If he had been watching the house and planning to do something like this, why would he pick a night that both E and K were there? He was taking a huge risk with two additional people in the house that night, especially one of them being E. That doesn't make sense IMO.
Maybe he planned on doing it on the 13th… a lot of murders happen on the 13th

How do we know K had more significant injuries, because her dad said the injuries "Don't match" or did he explicitly say her injuries were worse? I didn't see where he said it specifically I may have missed that. However, does that mean she was the target? Perhaps she woke up during this and she was hit with a blunt object to subdue her or wounded in some way to render her less likely to fight back and interfere with whatever plan this killer had set in motion.
We don’t know. There is speculation one had more extensive wounds and more speculation it’s Kaylee, but no official word from LE.

Everything I’ve read about inflicting a knife wound, especially with a large fixed blade knife, indicates that it would take a lot of strength. What about college level athletes?
Also, do they tend to live on campus?

Another issue that perplexes me is the dog. It's reported that the dog was in a different room. It occurs to me that the dog would be with Kaylee and that only someone that dog trusted could get it to go to another room without barking... Also, if it was a targeted killing, it makes sense that the perp wouldn't want to leave anyone who would suspect them as the killer. I'm also considering the violence or "brutal" way in which Kaylee was killed. Could someone have been infuriated by the thought that Kaylee and Mogan were "together"? I remember being hit on at clubs and when the advances were rebuffed, the jerk would usually accuse me of being a lesbian. (I was out with my sister lol).
Murphy must’ve already been in the other room, right?
I don’t think the killer could get Murphy out of the room K and M are in, and take it to another room without awaking the girls

They did take a group photo together that weekend.
They may have different taste in music. I lived in a party house for a short while and in my experience…
•A lock on my door was to keep my belongings safe while I wasn’t there
•I felt a sense of security knowing that there were other people living there
•I hung out with one of my female roommates the most.
•I did not like one of my roommates and wouldn’t have posed in photos with her. I never told anyone that I disliked her, just avoided her.

If this was a methodical serial killer, one thing I don't understand is why the killer would attack that night? If he had been watching the house and planning to do something like this, why would he pick a night that both E and K were there? He was taking a huge risk with two additional people in the house that night, especially one of them being E. That doesn't make sense IMO.
E & K were ultimately the two variables who were not supposed to be there that night. Maybe he went there to murder the 4 female roommates who were there full-time and his plan was thwarted by K being in M’s bed and E being with X.

Although you weren't replying to me, I'd like to chime in and say yes, it could be a cold case. I'm no ruling it out.
This is not a cold case.

not convinced that they did not shower and change before bed. K and M are described as "drunk" by some people who watched the food truck video, but if you have been out that long, not sure you would get in bed without showering and changing- uncomfortable to sleep in jeans, make up(?), carbonara on your teeth, etc. LE would know this of course and I do not imagine the killer stabbing through clothing, but I may be wrong about that as well. IMO
I would almost guess they did. They arrived home shortly before 2 and were still using the phone for calls until nearly 3. My guess is in between during that hour they were also getting ready for bed. MOO

John Kelly knows his stuff. I wonder if he’s right on this one.
I thought this was a targeted attack, how could LE or media possibly extrapolate or predict? IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member