ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 30

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is speeding and heading towards the house, but, if the murders occurred between 3-4 AM and the car in question is at the scene of the murder at the time of the murder, there are two possibilities for the location of the car at 3:45 AM:
  • the car is speeding to the house prior to the murders and murders occurred at 4 AM, or
  • the car took an unusual route, or wrong turn, after the murders and was speeding to get out of the area
Maybe the perp briefly stopped somewhere quiet on the east side of town to change clothes, discard knife, wipe down car, etc, and then was heading out of town when caught on the gas stn camera?

The WiFi router in the home would have records of any connection attempt, successful or not. This will only give you the MAC address of the device but could be useful in determining the times the victims arrived home and also the time they disconnected to go to sleep, if this is what they did. MAC address is unique to every device and could be helpful if an "outside" device registered during the timeframe of the murders. Devices would need to be powered on and have WiFi enabled. Personally I don't think the murderer would be dumb enough to bring their phone but then again they just might have..
It's possible that logs would contain information like that, but no guarantee for consumer wifi routers. Most are cheap devices with poor quality control and security.

Also, many (most?) new phones have a privacy feature that creates a unique randomized MAC address for each network. Prior to the randomization feature, the MAC address could be used to track devices across networks. Some companies were capturing and storing that data from every nearby device*. Some used that to track their customers, others sold the information to data brokers, whose sole business is in reselling information to anyone willing to pay for it.

* a device with wifi enabled continually broadcasts its MAC address

Or they know who's car it is, and want to know if the owner was stalking the house previous to the murders.
Or they know who's car it is, believe the driver is the killer, and are asking for video footage to help build their case. And they have basically created a nation-wide APB with the general public to locate him.

JMHO

IMO, LE must have something very convincing. In many cases, they will describe a car they are looking for more vaguely, like 'late model light colored sedan'. The fact that they have specified make/model/year tells me they have solid information, whatever it may be.
That is something that caught my attention as well. It leads me to wonder what else do they know about this mystery vehicle that they are not disclosing. Do they have the tag number and know who drives it but are asking the public for tips to try to create a trail of evidence confirming the path it traveled that night? Maybe they know the path it traveled but are looking for evidence that can ID the driver? So much context is needed and the police have been unwilling to provide any.

Interesting, a Google map search "Gas Station" at that same location indicates an Exon. A more specific search "Mobile Gas Station" reveals the mobile name. Is there such a thing as Exon/Mobile ? Thanks for your info.
Exxon and Mobile merged in 1999 so would be referred to as Exxon Mobile.

If the Perp takes a circuitous path, it could be his immediate priority is to get rid of the murder weapon.

Is it odd they’re not saying 3:00 am - 5:00 am?

Is there something else causing the 3:00 am- 4:00 am?
Originally, LE was asking local businesses to check their cameras 3AM to 6AM. Some evidence at the house has probably led LE to narrow in on 3AM to 4AM and with a white sedan spotted driving by convenience store at 3:45AM...if this is white sedan LE looking for, this could narrow to even 3AM to 3:30AM. I think calls by M and K to ex is significant...perhaps it was about noise downstairs? I get that K may have called ex's late at night, but not reports M would make repetitive calls that late.

1671036925496.png
"It's been really difficult, especially not knowing who did it and not having someone in custody," Mabbutt told Fox News Digital in a sit-down interview Thursday.

"I deal with a lot of sadness, but this is pretty extreme,"
— Latah County Coroner Cathy Mabbutt told Fox News Digital
Mabbutt visited the crime scene and reached out to each family member to disclose details from the autopsies.''

I think it's possible that the suspect did not get rid of his knife. It sounds like an unusual knife, more like a tool that could be used in hunting, for example. People become attached to some knives, more so when they hold memories.

This was targeted/ planned, so it could be his personal knife, not something he would throw away. In fact, throwing it away might make it worse - especially if someone recognized his knife.
Since defensive wounds by at least one victim, I would think the knife was not all in one piece after killing 4 victims. I think killer got rid of knife 11/13/22.

The professor doesn't think a single person in Moscow drives an Elantra? If so I wouldn't take anything he says seriously and I'd recommend avoiding his classes.
I would think if car belonged to someone in Moscow, LE wouldn't have revealed this evidence to public. So, perhaps criminology professor is correct.

Why is there an assumption that the car turned from Hanson onto White?
Is there evidence of this somewhere?

JMO
No. We were just discussing the similar-looking white car parked at the dead end (cul-de-sac) of Hanson Ave on Google maps street view, in the proximity to the gas station and the security video showing a white car possibly going westbound on White Ave between Hanson Ave and Troy Rd. So the only connection is physical proximity, not solid evidence. But if it's a Nissan Altima rather than a Hyundai Elantra, then this is a "dead end" idea. Also the Google maps picture was from 2021, I believe, a year earlier.

The stools in the track still puzzle me, curious! Could they not bring a stick in to block the slide (contaminate the scene), was the door off the tracks, and more ideas of why they stools. Any guesses on your part?
I think stools were placed like that as more of a visual marker for LE and public to not enter via sliding patio 2nd floor door. I think the door remained unlocked, so as to preserve any evidence

It might have been the car of a scout, and people are not coming out because of fear.
Or it may have been driven by an unwitting accomplice. The driver picked up their friend/boyfriend not knowing what he'd done. That driver may be being pressured by the perp

Nonetheless even the neighbours, friends and relatives of that innocent driver would surely know if the driver owned or regularly used a white Hyundai in the past. Wouldn't one of those people called in a tip? It's been 6 days since the public appeal for that car was made

Also, I don't know where this notion that a ka-bar dulls quickly comes from. Ka-bar's are extremely solid knives and exceptionally durable. There have been many youtube videos testing this particular knife through rigorous torture and it always holds great. It took this guy:
video link
close to 15 minutes to destroy the knife and the tip was just fine at the end of it. It's no wonder these knives are considered the "best of the best" from what I've seen when it comes to performance-price ratio.
I don't where this comes from either as the Marines still use it to the best of my knowledge. However, this guy is a SEAL and I do know the Navy dropped the KA-BAR in recent years saying it didn't really fit their needs. The SEAL's and Navy EOD are now issued the Ontario MkIII.

The point of the Hanson Ct car discussion isn’t that one of those white cars IS the perp, it’s the opposite: one of those white cars could be what the gas station clerk saw and her observation is unrelated to the crime.

Extreme anger. If it was committed by a young person who thought that one of the housemates had ruined their life then that would be a motive. If a housemate had outted something about someone (or even just knew something) that would in effect destroy his/her life - that would motivate that person to murder. "My life is over. Now his/her life should be over."
Kids these days cannot get off of their phones. IMO- It's hard to believe that if someone had a vendetta to pursue- that there would not be texts, snapchats, IMs, emails, between the parties that would leave a clear trail of evidence. (Heck, I stopped watching the First 48 because once they got the cell phone/text messages of the victim 99% of the crimes were solved.) IMHO-to me this case wreaks of stalker/ pleasure killer.

I just don't see the LE being at any fault for the surveillance video delay. Measuring from the crime scene to the gas station in question, there are 100's of other businesses closer to the crime scene than this specific location. In addition, most of those other businesses are closer to route 95, which seems to carry more traffic for people going in, and out, of Moscow. I don't fault anyone on wanting to focus on prioritizing all of those locations over this gas station, and there just doesn't exist the manpower to get every piece of footage from an area with so many businesses in a dense location.

Good for the person at this gas station for taking the time to review the footage on their own and help out. That's what a good citizen does, and, instead of the people criticizing and saying, "Why didn't LE visit us earlier," maybe they should look at what the people did at this gas station and follow their example. They wouldn't even have to review it! Common sense would tell someone to hit save on those nights, and then send it over to the tip line.

I have cameras on my home, and I review things frequently when there are crimes even remotely close to my area. You just never know. A lesson to all to be proactive and helpful, because investigators can't be everywhere all at once.
we do not know if LE already had this video and wanted to create some pressure. They did ask for video- no idea how much they have or have already reviewed. IMO

I would think if car belonged to someone in Moscow, LE wouldn't have revealed this evidence to public. So, perhaps criminology professor is correct.
That is a completely different and more reasonable argument. My response was only to the professor's reasoning, according to crimesnooper: "professor of criminology at the University of Idaho said ..in his opinion.. that car didn't belong to anyone in Moscow. He said the town was filled with Subarus, SUVs ...but definitely not that brand."

That many or even most people in town drive "Subarus, SUVs, ..." in no way supports the conclusion that it's "definitely not that [Hyundai] brand." I hope and suspect this was an inaccurate representation of what the professor actually stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatGran