ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is the full MPD request for video. They're asking for (1) all video from the bounded area between 3am-6am, and (2) "video of any unusual behavior" from the evening of 11/12 to early 11/13. Seems like most people have missed the second part.

12-13-22-Moscow-Homocide-Update
Detectives are seeking all outside surveillance video taken from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. on Sunday, November
13th, from businesses and residences within the geographical area listed below. Detectives request all
available videos – whether there appears to be motion and content or not.

• West Taylor Ave (north boundary)
  • West Palouse River Dr (south boundary)
  • Highway 95 south to the 2700 block of Highway 95 S (east boundary)
  • Arboretum & Botanical Garden (west boundary)
Detectives are also seeking additional tips and surveillance video of any unusual behavior on the night of
November 12th into the early hours of November 13th while Kaylee and Madison were in downtown
Moscow and while Ethan and Xana were at the Sigma Chi house. Anyone who observed unusual
behavior near these areas or has video surveillance is asked to submit their tips.
Can LE demand video? Would they need a subpoena if a camera owner did not turn it over? I think most people do but .... I am thinking more of a case where the owner is busy or not present.

Last edited:
Extreme anger. If it was committed by a young person who thought that one of the housemates had ruined their life then that would be a motive. If a housemate had outted something about someone (or even just knew something) that would in effect destroy his/her life - that would motivate that person to murder. "My life is over. Now his/her life should be over."
true. four people and what seems to be a well-planned murder is my sticking point. I'm pretty sure LE thought the anger/inner circle/acquaintance was the murderer, but a month out, I'm definitely leaning towards not so much on that theory.

That is something that caught my attention as well. It leads me to wonder what else do they know about this mystery vehicle that they are not disclosing. Do they have the tag number and know who drives it but are asking the public for tips to try to create a trail of evidence confirming the path it traveled that night? Maybe they know the path it traveled but are looking for evidence that can ID the driver? So much context is needed and the police have been unwilling to provide any.
Hopefully LE found tire prints that would match the car of interest, especially if there is something unique about the tires, like one of a different make? rbbm. fwiw.

October 22, 2010
''A Yukon RCMP investigator's database of tire tread patterns helped lead police to Russell Williams, the former military colonel behind a series of murders, sexual assaults and home invasions in Ontario.
The database developed by Yukon RCMP Cpl. Jim Giczi contains tread impressions from more than 1,100 tires sold in Canada and the United States. It allows police to match tire tracks they find at crime scenes to a specific make and model of tire.
It was a tire tread found near the Tweed, Ont., home of Jessica Lloyd, one of Williams's murder victims, that led police to set up road blocks in the area in an attempt to find the vehicle whose tires matched the tread.
They were able to narrow their search to just the vehicles whose tires matched the make and model they had identified using Giczi's database, so when Williams's 2001 Nissan Pathfinder came through the road block, they knew they had a match.''

''Creating a new and more usable database turned out to be fairly straightforward.
Instead of going around and photographing every tire in every shop, Giczi simply scanned photos taken from catalogues and pamphlets.

The pictures were clear, and almost always taken from the same angle. The markings were well-lit and easy to distinguish, and once he had a system down, it only took him about five minutes to enter the photo, get it to the right size and angle, and enter the cataloguing criteria.

At first, he imagined a purely local database, "because let's face it, we're a thousand miles from anywhere, so we have a pretty captive audience,” Giczi says, "but it just kept growing and growing.”

Other officers began sending the corporal tire pamphlets from their jurisdictions and now every time Giczi goes to a conference or takes a trip, he picks up more. Now he's started getting information from the United States as well.''
1671038447226.png

1671038343016.png

Last edited:
Depends on vehicle owners driving needs for mileage. Snow tires are common for some vehicles and their owners while some people get by without snow tires for multitude of reasons (4 wheel drive or better tires or driving skill for example)
or they did not put snow tires on yet in Nov or just did not have $ to get them

View attachment 387466
"It's been really difficult, especially not knowing who did it and not having someone in custody," Mabbutt told Fox News Digital in a sit-down interview Thursday.

Mabbutt visited the crime scene and reached out to each family member to disclose details from the autopsies.''

another quote from the link

'Her duties as coroner involve investigating one to two suspicious deaths a week, and given her primary job as a defense lawyer, the two roles can intersect.'

edited to add

just noticed further down the page she says she can't operate as an attorney in Latah county in event of suspicious death or homicide

Last edited:
My understanding is LE visited the gas station once before yesterday. Imo, with all the CCTV collected, LE hadn't reviewed this one yet. And LE is going to concentrate on the areas closest to the crime scene first. Imo, of course.
I am completely with you. Personally I hate being even the slightest bit critical of LE knowing how incredibly hard they are working, knowing they have so much evidence to look through.

This just surprised me and made me wonder what else is hidden in the stack of evidence, tips, surveillance they haven’t been able to get through yet.

I will say I’m still very confident in the LE working on this case and feel that they are very close to finding who did this.

It’s easy to be critical as an outsider, not knowing everything being done behind the scenes.

So I do appreciate your feedback very much.

Quite unlikely. And no one would ever find that car, either.

But there could be other reasons for not coming forward as well.
For example:
--if I were having an affair (me, the daily mail, the sordid details of my torrid romance with a Ryan Reynolds double--I could see that ending badly, and just an example of course lol-not happening irl)
--if I'd had the bad luck of stealing the car on the same night as a quadruple murder
--if I were a drug dealer posing as a mild-mannered Elantra driver who no one would otherwise suspect because drug dealers don't drive Hyundais, etc.
--if I were 14 and I'd 'borrowed' my parents' car to sneak out with my friends (not that I know anyone who ever did something like that but...)
--if I'm a quadruple murderer and I have tied up all the loose ends and permanently destroyed evidence, I have a solid alibi, there's nothing to tie me to the crime, let them find me, not vice versa.
all of this is JMO and JMI
Outstanding thoughts

Or it may have been driven by an unwitting accomplice. The driver picked up their friend/boyfriend not knowing what he'd done. That driver may be being pressured by the perp

Nonetheless even the neighbours, friends and relatives of that innocent driver would surely know if the driver owned or regularly used a white Hyundai in the past. Wouldn't one of those people called in a tip? It's been 6 days since the public appeal for that car was made
If the car is local, then surely by now they know who it belongs to (they may have already known.)

Which to me indicates either:

1. Car was stolen some time before murders, and they don't know who was driving it that night.

2. They want to know if car was used to stalk victims in the hours/days prior.

3. Killer had an accomplice who was driving them that night, and police are trying to scare accomplice into confessing.

MOO - I'm really not convinced that the gas station footage is related to the crime. The public only knows about it because the clerk shared a photo, and it's definitely not clear if it's an Elantra. I think people are hung up on the fact that the police collected the footage after the tip was reported, which I'm sure they're doing for all footage taken around the area. Although I think it's good it was reported, and I'm glad the clerk looked back on security footage, white sedans are common enough that I'd imagine more than a few drove past the gas station within 2 hours of the crime. I'll add that I DO think there is video evidence linking an elantra to the crime scene, but I think it's likely footage that the public has not seen.

Cleaning, counting money, putting everything into order for the next day I guess.
Also add those who may be on their way to work, University Golf Course is nearby and golf maintenance crew/golf cart staff probably arrive between 4-5:30AM, Sunday morning. I would have to guess they have been interviewed very early on. AMOO...

Just out of curiosity I went to Googlemaps and looked up High Beast Vape Shop based on the address and found this car there. I'm no car expert, but is this a white Hyundai Elantra parked near the misspelled "Enterance" sign at the vape shop?
View attachment 387477
this looks like a tesla model 3 to me. source: have to stare at the back of them all the time here in california!!
edit: or a honda! the logo looks like it could be the Honda "H"

I saw that earlier and was shocked no one on here was talking about it. IMO - I think this is why the LE is hyper focused on the white sedan now. Just can’t say anything
MOO - I'm really not convinced that the gas station footage is related to the crime. The public only knows about it because the clerk shared a photo, and it's definitely not clear if it's an Elantra. I think people are hung up on the fact that the police collected the footage after the tip was reported, which I'm sure they're doing for all footage taken around the area. Although I think it's good it was reported, and I'm glad the clerk looked back on security footage, white sedans are common enough that I'd imagine more than a few drove past the gas station within 2 hours of the crime. I'll add that I DO think there is video evidence linking an elantra to the crime scene, but I think it's likely footage that the public has not seen.
I think you are onto something.

In my previous post I was concerned it was the gas station attendant who discovered the footage and car… but the more I think about it, after seeing the same car in food truck video, watching police examine tire marks in the early days of the attacks…

It makes more sense that this white sedan has been privately on their radar.. they may have more corroborating footage and evidence that is yet to be released because they might not have wanted it out in the public yet.

Something to think about for sure.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I've also seen White Hyundai Elantra 2011-13 advertised in the Spokane area, which isn't that far from Moscow, ID. Hopefully, someone is pulling the history of these cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member