ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This car strikes me as more of a student type car. Cheap, basic, budget friendly.

if it was bought by or for a student, perhaps. but if you were going to commit a quadruple homicide and wanted something cheap, basic, and budget friendly, wouldn't that be a good, low-tech car to buy or steal, too? imo it would be.

I think it's possible whoever did this had a feeling of guilt and in order to relieve the guilt committed these stabbings. I'm not sure does Idaho have the death penalty because we definitely need to find who did it. It's possible we may have more victims if we don't find who did this within 6 months. I'm worried but staying optimistic this systematic review of videotape from coast to coast pays dividends soon.
Why do you think that the killer "had a feeling of guilt" and committed murders to relieve guilt?

Incredibly random thought here.

It seems to me that LE is tracking a white Hyundai’s movements as we have learned they have asked for surveillance from
Stores in both Troy and Kendrick.

MOO they should have the plate by now— but in yesterdays press release they stated “ white Hyundai with an unknown plate”

Is there a such thing as a “fake” temporary license plate ? Meaning - the perp probably wouldn’t be so stupid to drive without a plate - as that runs the risk of being pulled over immediately.

However , if he simply created a good fake looking temporary plate that has bs numbers/letters on it. This wouldn’t be a huge red flag for getting pulled over because officers aren’t really looking that close.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening ? Like for the purpose of committing crime/going undetected.

View attachment 388116
Good point. Don’t most police cars have technology that scans license plates in traffic automatically? I would think a false plate would trigger an alarm, unless it was very recently stolen and/or unnoticed.

The killer could have also “borrowed” an unsuspecting neighbors plate and returned it by dawn with the neighbor being none the wiser.

Omgggg, just seeing a glimpse of all this about the live feed from the Grub Truck!!!!!!!! I wonder if there’s anything to this!!!!

I’ll try to make this really brief and on topic - I actually posted about this years ago somewhere on Websleuths in another case, but basically, yes this actually happened to me, stalked online via a live cam. About 25 years ago in the early days of live cams, I was in New Orleans at a restaurant in the French Quarter, sitting at the bar and eating. The bartender told me I had a phone call. I said, “must be a mistake, nobody knows I’m here...”. The bartender insisted, said the person on the phone described me with my glasses, what I was wearing etc. Confused, I took the phone call, and some man says “I just want you to know I’m watching you eat that sausage”. I hung up, ran back to the bar and asked the bartender “WTH?!!” He pointed to a camera on the wall with a sticker that said “Smile. You’re on NOLA.com”. I was furious, creeped out, ran out of the restaurant, and scared to death and watching my back as I ran back to my hotel.

So, point is, as related to this case, it’s happened before to me, so it’s certainly not out of the realm of possibility. In fact, now that I know this was a live feed, who knoooooooows what kind of creep was watching that, like was watching me that day.
Even if someone is viewing them on a live feed, how would they then follow them home (since they're not *there*)? And, if they were in a position to do so, they would actually BE THERE.... so, why follow a live feed?

there is some line between some one showing interest and you do not like them, and some one obsessing and not going away or creeping around and "watching" you.

The Goncalves family said Kaylee was a “street wise” individual who was always aware of her environment, including filming anything she thought was suspicious."
Rachel Sharp25 November 2022 23:40
Meh this is bluster. Filming things you encounter makes you street wise, as much as using google maps makes you a seasoned navigator.

Is there a such thing as a “fake” temporary license plate ? Meaning - the perp probably wouldn’t be so stupid to drive without a plate - as that runs the risk of being pulled over immediately.

However , if he simply created a good fake looking temporary plate that has bs numbers/letters on it. This wouldn’t be a huge red flag for getting pulled over because officers aren’t really looking that close.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening ? Like for the purpose of committing crime/going undetected.
RSBM. This happens all the time where I live (big city). Fake paper tags are not at all uncommon, I think typically from neighboring states. Here's a (probably paywalled) article about it from the Philadelphia Inquirer, "How rampant phony license plates are being used to get away with crimes in Philadelphia"

ETA, I asked a LEO I know (works for the Philadelphia police) and they said that they have to put license plate numbers into the computer system to get info, they don't have automatic scanners in their patrol cars. They do have a few across the department but it's not something that's just always in use in all patrol situations.

Last edited:
There is an app called Turo that is like AirBnB but for cars, in the sense that people can list their own personal vehicles for rent, Turo's website says host cars can be up to 12 years old. It's popular among young people because it's cheaper than renting a car through a business, especially for people under 25 who often have to pay liability fees or just flat out can't rent.

still, this case would have been blown wide open by now.

Vape shop guy: It's not how he's talking, but what he is saying as well.

If I went into a store with my girl friends and the clerk asked me, why do you always come in with your friends and not alone? I would be weirded out big time. Then he asks them if they have a stalker and then her friends all tell him how she is stalked daily? It makes 0 sense.

I'm not saying this guy in involved, but I don't believe that story happened at all. JMO
In my opinion vape shop guy is doing his best to paint the image of someone he suspects, someone who’s exhibited that behavior before of following behind and walking away, and whom police have stated they’ve ruled out. Just my own personal observation, but I kinda got the sense he had an agenda. I’ll leave it at that, MOO.

Whoever did this is not a genius but rather a degenerate. And I get the impression from official updates LE believes that whoever did this got out of town quickly after committing their acts.
I don't think it really matters. The take home point for me is that this is a VERY CAPABLE killer, victims being in bed notwithstanding.

I'm gonna show my age here with my question. Are smart watches considered stylish by the teens and early 20s crowd? Would girls going out on the town be likely to wear that accessory when dressing up? I feel like that might be something they leave at home but it might be my age showing.
I believe that people of that age group do find them stylish. There are many different bands sold for them and not all are just fabric. The bands can be expensive looking metals too.

Even if someone is viewing them on a live feed, how would they then follow them home (since they're not *there*)? And, if they were in a position to do so, they would actually BE THERE.... so, why follow a live feed?
one possibility imo, if they got a clear shot of the face, they'd just do an image search and potential bingo. kg had massive followers on SM - search for her probably would've paid off IMO.

Such a good post!

A further comment on the live video at the Grub Truck: There is something really off about this in my book. Firstly, not everyone is going to realize that they are being live-streamed. What an invasion of privacy. Also, though: it strikes me as voyeuristic -not a healthy thing to be doing, watching strangers via one-way camera. Lastly, as you said: This is the opposite of safe. Talk about creating an environment for predation.
The area they are recording is very likely considered a public space so invasion of privacy doesn't apply. Technically "right of publicity" may apply since they are making a profit off of someone's likeness, but I presume there are signs around saying people are being recorded/broadcast. Additionally lawsuits being brought for right of publicity are extremely rare.
Right of Publicity - International Trademark Association
As for predation, I don't know if live streaming public areas leads to more predation.

Question, was the live stream part of a security type of footage or just like a local webcam of the area?

The area they are recording is very likely considered a public space so invasion of privacy doesn't apply. Technically "right of publicity" may apply since they are making a profit off of someone's likeness, but I presume there are signs around saying people are being recorded/broadcast. Additionally lawsuits being brought for right of privacy are extremely rare.
Right of Publicity - International Trademark Association
As for predation, I don't know if live streaming public areas leads to more predation.

you might want to search state court cases. I believe you'll find that 'expectation of privacy' is extremely common in cases, criminal as well as civil. search, seizure, evidence, etc. lots and lots of issues, but also with civil cases, recording requiring consent, etc. lots.

I am not going to do any case law research and so I won't elaborate on any potential liability issues, but I will say that IMO and IME they could potentially exist.

I think it was just the food truck using the popularity of social media to draw customers. It consisted of 4 cameras that were online via a live “Twitch” stream.
gotchya. Yeah that sounds iffy but i can kinda get it. I assume (probably wrongly) that they have the stream.

That possibility seems like a real stretch to me. MOO

I'll test it and see what I come up with, but google image search works pretty well. they'd need a clear shot of the face, but the bigger question imo is, if you had a business, would it be worth the potential risk? I am not going down the rabbit hole, but I could see potential risk IMO IME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste