ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As time goes by, I'm becoming more and more connvinced that this is the work of a dangerous psychopath. The simple solutions seem to have failed to pan out for LE. It could be a serial killer, it could be a one-off. Whatever it is, I hope they catch him soon. The victims and their families deserve justice. And we deserve to feel safe in our beds at night.

Mods, sorry if I am stepping out of line here. Snip as needed.
Just an observation:
We are all mods, of sorts. Try to moderate your own posts so the real mods don't have to waste their time doing it. We all have different views and opinions, that's what make these discussions varied and rich. Nothing can be learned in an echo chamber. Express your opinions carefully, with respect and kindness, so your posts can remain and we can all be enriched by them.
What do you mean by a dangerous psychopath? I ask because I can see very people who are not psychopaths murdering four people in separate stabbings. Are you suggesting you suggesting you don't feel it's someone who knew them?

Clipped for focus.

Inside my apartment, you can't lock a door from the inside on any of the interior doors as you're exiting like you could the front door...is it common?
From what I have read this place had individual automatically locking code locks on their bedroom doors as is common in group/student housing. Generally default setting is they lock as you close door whether you are entering or exiting. some roommates think it is perfectly ok to borrow your clothes, let guests crash in your room. Maybe you have a firearm you want secure. There are many reasons. these are generally hollow doors and can be pried open. You also may only use the lock when you are not home and set it so it only locks when you manually lock it on leaving. so it may not have been an impediment to the killer. For all we know, in choosing victims once killer was insdie, it still could have been random and it may be the survivors had their doors locked and the victims did not

I can't remember whose video I was listening to on YouTube, but they made mention that the bottom floor at one point may have been a dwelling on its own and that the other parts were an add on of sorts. That maybe the other two didn't hear anything was because it would essentially be more soundproof, like what would now be an interior wall was once an exterior wall therefore more insulation and what not. Just throwing this out there and if anyone has anything to prove/disprove this I would be interested in this info!
I agree that thicker walls might make it more difficult to hear, but all this discussion about why the surviving roommates didn't hear anything is nonsensical. Some people are simply sound sleepers. I've known people who could not be roused with any amount of noise or even with shaking. In a house like that—a party house—it's especially likely that the tenants had become accustomed to sleeping through disturbances.

And let's not forget that the victims were attacked in their sleep, so there might not have been much to hear, anyway.

When the blood analysis (DNA) from the victims is reviewed, the investigators will be able to determine the sequence of events and who was the first victim. IMO, if you are the last person murdered there will be a mixture of other blood in your wounds, from victim three, two and one. If you are the first person stabbed only that victim's blood is found in the wounds. JMO. These results could go to motive? JMO

Last edited:
I can't imagine that an interior bedroom lock would work that way. Get up in the middle of the night, go to the bathroom, and have to punch in a code to go back to bed? Especially when you've been drinking? I think that in a case like that, most people would leave the door ajar or find a way to disable the lock.
It is a VERY common type of lock in shared and off campus housing. In fact I am not certain but I think I have read somewhere that the father of one of them repaired exactly such a code lock on the bedroom door. And if you have punched that code 100 times you are not going to lock yourself out even if you are a bit drunk. How hard do you think it is to punch "3-3-3-3"?

In my opinion, LE knows and has proof of the suspect(s) involved. I believe they have received all of the digital forensics (phone, SM, camera) along with crime scene forensics (DNA, prints, etc) and interviews with family, surviving roommates, friends, old schoolmates, and fraternity/sorority brothers/sisters.

MOO LE is delaying the arrest of the suspected killer(s). I believe they have agents under surveillance waiting till after the holidays to make the arrests for the sake of the families (victims and LE).

IMO, LE is releasing tidbits to get information and input from the public on any additional accomplices or witnesses. This crime was a result of pent up rage from a person close to the victims and the killers left a messy crime scene that is making it easy to solve. Just wait till the New Year. IMO.
I feel LE would arrest as soon as the warrant is issued. They wouldn’t gamble on the perp, under surveillance, getting away and murdering again.

I agree that thicker walls might make it more difficult to hear, but all this discussion about why the surviving roommates didn't hear anything is nonsensical. Some people are simply sound sleepers. I've known people who could not be roused with any amount of noise or even with shaking. In a house like that—a party house—it's especially likely that the tenants had become accustomed to sleeping through disturbances.

And let's not forget that the victims were attacked in their sleep, so there might not have been much to hear, anyway.
Complete agree. And shoving an 8" knife into someone's upper chest is almost certainly going to stop them from making any sound at all. These are deep extreme trauma knife thrusts, with a huge knife designed to kill people silently, used from above, with full body weight of assailant on likely prone deeply sleeping people, 3/4 of them petite females. This in a party house, on a party night.

I agree about Ethan. He didn't actually live there. And I don't think the killer would have gone there if they knew a man was in the house. IMO. However, that changes for me if more info comes out he was a target. IMO.
Possibly the perp thought the survivors used the other bedroom on the second floor and when it was found empty ( since D and B were on the first floor) he left thinking the other two weren’t home. If he was watching from the back of the house, and they stayed downstairs, he may not have seen them through the windows?

When the blood analysis (DNA) from the victims is reviewed, the investigators will be able to determine the sequence of events and who was the first victim. IMO, if you are the last person murdered there will be a mixture of other blood in your wounds, from victim three, two and one. If you are the first person stabbed only that victim's blood is found in the wounds. JMO. These results could go to motive?
Yes, two ways:
As you mentioned, who is inoculated with prior victim/s blood. investigators could probably tell exact order.
Secondly if there is blood trail on killers shoes or drip blood trails from knife on flooring, whose blood was in trail in what combinations would also indicate sequence of victims, or at least sequence of rooms.

Last edited:
I can tell that question comes from personal experience with a 10 yr old, not top of the line, front wheel drive sedan.
Great question! Can an Elantra lay rubber, or not? No clue, but would guess No.

JMO
If it was a manual transmission and someone wasn’t all that familiar with a 5 speed even an Elantra’s tires might squeal. IMO

You are supposed to register your vehicle in the state or county that you live in. If you move from one county within a state you are supposed to register it in the new county. When you move from one state to another you are supposed to register it in the new state. States give a certain amount of time that you have to register your vehicle.
If you’re in school or the military, you’re exempt from having to update, as far as I know. I went to college out of state and was not required to update my license plates or driver’s license because I was not a resident. Same when my husband was active duty—we lived in several different states and kept our home state’s residency.

I think it’s hard to come to conclusions because the public doesn’t have many facts. Do we know for sure how many people were at the house when Dylan and Bethany arrived home earlier than the others? Did someone come to the house to visit and then the residents thought they left the house when in fact they had not left? Do we know for sure what rooms everyone was sleeping? We know Kaylee and Maddie were together from Kaylee’s Dad but we don’t know for sure which room? Which room was Bethany and Dylan in? We have been told downstairs but at this point, was this from LE? Which bedroom downstairs? How many people were in and out of the house following the crime and before LE arrived? I’ve heard so many different accounts that it’s hard to decipher everything!
That's what I'm confused about. In the video where the cops were called for a noise complaint one of the bottom rooms appeared to be used as storage. So does that mean Dylan or Bethany were in the other 2nd floor bedroom? Which one? In the 3d walkthrough of the 2nd floor one room is right at the bottom of the stairs to the 3rd floor. Was that Xana's room or one of the survivors rooms? It actually makes more sense if that was Xana's room because I could imagine her or Ethan hearing the attacks upstairs and stepping out of their bedroom and directly encountering the killer as he was walking downstairs therefore causing their deaths. This would go along with the theory that they weren't the intended target. But if Xana's room was the other room that's kind of out of the way on the 2nd floor, then he walked right past the other bedroom which potentially had Dylan or Bethany? Was it purposely ignored by him or just locked? Then that brings up a whole slew of questions on how the morning went when 911 was called. So strange. Are Dylan and Bethany only alive because they are the only two who locked their doors like many presume? I just thought a door with a keypad would automatically lock when shut but apparently that's not true? Maybe someone can confirm who was in which rooms. I might have missed reading it somewhere. I haven't seen anything definitive. Just typing out loud here. All MOO of course.

I think one way or another, the "unconscious" report might have come from the caller not wanting to get too close to the victim. Something like this:

911: Check to see if they are breathing, etc, etc (imo!)

Roommates: Nah, this is too scary! (Imo!)

So it gets called unconscious because they couldn't check for all the specifics 911 always asks (when I call, anyway).
The 911 perator is using a basic script, and the people calling are not in possession of all the facts.

It is entirely plausible that unconscious and not responding to door knock are being used interchangeably. That the survivors and callers have not seen any bodies at all, and perhaps one or two bloody footprints, and are simply not getting a response from loud knockings. the roommates when calling may not even know who is in which bedroom

I must have missed where it was said definitively that they were killed in their sleep vs just in the bed/bedroom. These threads are moving too fast for me to keep up.
I know some people can sleep through anything; I think of the Keddie Cabin murders and how there were allegedly children who slept through that attack.
It must just be my very anxious self that overlooked the fact that yes, they probably were used to ignoring odd noises at all hours of the night.

In my opinion, LE knows and has proof of the suspect(s) involved. I believe they have received all of the digital forensics (phone, SM, camera) along with crime scene forensics (DNA, prints, etc) and interviews with family, surviving roommates, friends, old schoolmates, and fraternity/sorority brothers/sisters.

MOO LE is delaying the arrest of the suspected killer(s). I believe they have agents under surveillance waiting till after the holidays to make the arrests for the sake of the families (victims and LE).

IMO, LE is releasing tidbits to get information and input from the public on any additional accomplices or witnesses. This crime was a result of pent up rage from a person close to the victims and the killers left a messy crime scene that is making it easy to solve. Just wait till the New Year. IMO.
You think LE is delaying the arrest of a murderer until after the holidays for the sake of the families???

So, LE and the victim's families can have a nice holiday? I feel like I must be misinterpreting your post because that is ludicrous.

I must have missed where it was said definitively that they were killed in their sleep vs just in the bed/bedroom. These threads are moving too fast for me to keep up.
I know some people can sleep through anything; I think of the Keddie Cabin murders and how there were allegedly children who slept through that attack.
It must just be my very anxious self that overlooked the fact that yes, they probably were used to ignoring odd noises at all hours of the night.
It was the coroner if I’m not mistaken, but agreed, just because they were killed in their beds doesn’t mean they were asleep. Defensive injuries would tell the story in that regard. I think it’s pretty safe to assume they were all drinking that night, which does mean it’s pretty likely they were sleeping.

It was the coroner if I’m not mistaken, but agreed, just because they were killed in their beds doesn’t mean they were asleep. Defensive injuries would tell the story in that regard. I think it’s pretty safe to assume they were all drinking that night, which does mean it’s pretty likely they were sleeping.
Yes, I also remember reading that at least one person, X I believe, had defensive wounds. Obviously, that doesn't mean she was able to scream or do anything to alert someone but just gave me the impression that maybe she was woken up at some point, then attacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1