ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the impression that many people have the impression that silencers are like how they are portrayed in the movies. If the killers objective is stealth a gun is a poor choice, silencer or not.
I’ve been around many different kinds of guns all my life, but never heard a gun shot with a silencer. So from my movie experience a silencer and a pillow would do the trick.
Who would have a silencer besides some one with ill intentions? Same with suppressor?

JMO

A few ideas…I know it’s too long.

1-I think that the murderer lives within sight of the house and knows the interior of the house very well.
Partial Quote for brevity
What LE will be looking for (and probably completed to no avail)>>>
Are there any residents in the neighborhood who>> LEFT THE AREA OR ARE MISSING<< post attack. Regardless of a past history of drugs, encounters with LE, etc. MOO

What do you mean by "high quality" traffic cams? The traffic management cams are not streaming (or so I thought). Do they have red light cams? Because those are only triggered by the infraction.

Idaho is really strict about what cameras can do when owned by the public. There is no police surveillance using streamed camera video, to my knowledge.

The pictures from Taylor were said to be from neighbors' security cams, no? I don't classify private security cameras as "high quality traffic cams" and have yet to see any traffic cam footage from Moscow, at all.

So - how do we know such cameras exist? Most highway cameras take still pictures at intervals for traffic and weather monitoring, with only a fraction of cars being caught and no preservation of images past a certain amount of time (often as brief as an hour).

If there were high quality cameras all around Moscow, I think we'd be seeing a very different sort of LE investigation and less asking for public help in trying to find video of a particular car.

The reason they're using stock images is that the CCTV videos (including the ones from the gas station) are quite low quality.
I'm sorry, I thought those camera's were tracking traffic. In the country where I live they use red light systems that are completely different. Although they seem to have a 360 cam at entering point of the campus.

YO0v0qQ.png

Maybe they are using stock images of the car because the one they do have on video shows the person driving or maybe two people in the car, or only shows the passenger. They might not want to give away that info to the public. Yet. Moo
Both my old truck and my "newer" truck have certain details on the bodies the car mfg'r only made a certain number of years. Changes in grill/headlights/brake lights/parking lights, wheel well/fenders etc. every few years or so. My theory is either that Elantra is on camera or a friend that knows who was in it fessed up. Anyway, Imo, a series of years of the same body type.

I wonder if Kaylee or one of her friends could have taken a picture of the guy (and his car) who she thought was stalking her, and then that same car was seen by witnesses or cameras near the house the night of the murders. That might explain how they could have a suspect and a specific car they want to find, but haven't been able to locate yet. Just a theory-

I think there was speculation the girls were there, just not presenting themselves to the police. Someone thought they heard Kaylees name being yelled before the cops even knocked on the door, that and B answered the door.
Re: The Sept 1st noise complaint video

I think the referenced speculation is way off IMO. The blonde girl who answers the door in the noise complaint video does not look like B to me. And it would imply that Kaylee (and/or other victims) were hiding from LE, and there is no evidence to suggest they would behave that way.
In terms of Maddie, a look at her Linkedin page reveals (per what she wrote) someone who seemingly successfully held positions of leadership in various organizations, completed various internships, and also held a job while doing much of the other. IMO, she wouldn't be likely to hide from authority as she's had to answer to adult authority in a variety of settings.
What I wonder about the Sept 1st noise complaint video is that it sounds to me like Maddie said to the Police Officer at ~1:55, "......I'm just frustrated...". I couldn't make out exactly what she said immediately before that.

I can assume that maybe Maddie (and ? others) gave permission for someone to have, perhaps, a few friends over at the house while she and the other roommates were out. And then, perhaps, the recipient of that permission was not respectful and spread the word that there was a house party, and many people showed up. And if so, this may not have been the first time something like this happened with this person.

So.....did Maddie (and ? other roommates also) end up confronting someone as a result? Of course even IF there was a confrontation it would not necessarily have led to murder, but I'm curious about a possible dynamic.

And just as a "for what it's worth" observation......... Although I don't necessarily think that one of the roommates was THE target, Maddie's pink cowgirl boots were on her windowsill at the time of the murder. And in the below picture the window blinds were not closed all the way.

Anyway..... just some thoughts. If anyone can decipher what Maddie said in the above video before "I'm frustrated" please share. Thanks!

Edited to say that I was only trying to post the 2nd video, so please disregard the 1st, thanks!

after reading and thinking and trying to make sense of it all, i can't imagine that someone went in to kill one person (or even two) and then stealthily stabbed 4 people without a trace or a sound. that just doesn't make sense. it would be more sensible to find a time to go when even is out or almost any other time. what kind of a person would/could do that? it would have to be someone familiar with the layout of the house and the habits of the girls, even if they may be probably pretty obvious.

i wonder if it wasn't someone from the area, who went there a time or two with friends to a party and something was triggered. there were so many people in and out of the place, it seems likely. i imagine it would have to be someone very agile with a knife, a hunter- but a serious one. surely they know guns too, in that area, but i feel like killing 4 people with a knife is notch on their belt or whatever it is that is said. i believe that takes precaution and planning, skill and resentment? rage? imho
Speculation:

What seems more likely to me, frankly, is that the friend group (more than one person) did something to enrage someone. This person was in their social circle and of course had been to the house before.

A person who is protecting a secret, a person who feels insulted by the slightest thing, a jilted lover, a person who fantasizes they have relationships that are more intimate than the other person might feel, a person who habitually blames others for their own problems, a grievance collector and, perhaps, someone with a diagnosable mental illness. Or any combination of these (plus a bunch of others I'm sure you all can think of). Someone with obsessive, intrusive thoughts; vaguely or acutely paranoid. A person who feels they have been made a social spectacle by a friend group or who perceives groups on campus as very important to their own self-esteem.

Maybe promises made and not kept. Statements misperceived and taken too seriously. Popular groups against lesser groups. I could go on. There were no sororities at my uni (they had been banned after multiple suicides blamed on rush practices, way back in the 1930's or something) but we did have fraternities and various other organizations that were considered cool to be in (by the people in them of course). But U of I has way more Greek life than my Uni did and it's clear that Greek life at U of I provided some privileges (more on-campus housing, for one thing). But the power dynamics of Greek life on many campuses are very intricate, with longstanding feuds, issues and "pranking" that can go way south. Other groups can of course play these roles, but it's obvious just from the past year of police logs how much goes down in and around fraternity road and adjacent areas. LE tells the partiers, flat out (Sept 1 body cam), "This is an off campus sorority house," and the officer says it firmly. If it were on campus, there could be more repercussions for breaking Greek rules (underage drinking gets fraternities and sororities suspended; their prestige and housing upended).

Where I currently teach, frats and sororities are gradually disappearing. I rarely have students in my classes who are in either. Our local stats show that frat and sorority people tend to major in subjects other than what I teach (Business is the most popular major for frat members; GE studies is in second or third place).

Maddie: “What did you tell Adam?”
Kaylee: “I told him EVERYTHING.”

Have you ever told someone EVERYTHING and it not been a big deal. If their conversation was benign she would’ve told her what they talked about. To answer with “I told him EVERYTHING”…

In my opinion this is one of the biggest clues we’ve received. It wasn’t released by the MPD either. I don’t think “A” is involved but I wonder about the many calls to “J” that night. Were they calling to check his temperature after Kaylee told “A” , his roommate, EVERYTHING?

Just some thoughts and my opinions…
I share this opinion (JMO). I think too many posters dismissed this conversation because they focused on "A" and rightly didnt want A to be wrongly intrepreted as somehow involved in the crime. That misses the point. It isnt about A, it's about what Maddie told A that clearly upset Kaylee. IMO Kaylee's tone is one teetering on anger. Maddie's pushback seemed like what a good friend would say (i.e. I told him everything because I think someone needs to know). We can safely assume LE learned what "everything" was from their interview with A. It might be nothing, but it also might be something very significant and it could have nothing to do with J. JMO.

I’ve been around many different kinds of guns all my life, but never heard a gun shot with a silencer. So from my movie experience a silencer and a pillow would do the trick.
Who would have a silencer besides some one with ill intentions? Same with suppressor?

JMO
Many people have suppressors that are not for ill intended use. Trust me, I am one. Very convenient to shoot at prairie dogs without scaring them all out of the county!!

Interesting change in the template for the Daily MPD update. I have been checking daily for any editorial changes and now it's happened. Here is 12-20:

It's much shorter than any previous day's update and language that was in most of the previous updates is gone. Here's 12-19 as an example:

Now, this could be just a fluke, but I doubt it. Some of us were discussing the "re-interviewing" process and the fact that Mrs G mentioned that some people were cleared too early (SG mentioned it as well). We discussed it briefly a couple of threads ago that if MPD wanted to walk back some of the "clearings," it would have to remove all of the people they listed, otherwise it would be obvious which person was being put back into the pool of possible POI's.

No one was cleared, the language was "not believed to be involved at this time." (emphasis mine),

Now the update/daily statement leaves off that whole section, with no mention of anyone "not believed to be involved."

Again, could just be a fluke, but I am guessing that as they have interviewed over 200 people, LE's picture of what happened is much sharper. A is mentioned as cooperating, btw.

I also believe it's an open question as to where everyone started out sleeping on Nov 12, in that house, as well as how many people might have been there during that evening. While it is true that *one* reporter "confirmed with police" where people were sleeping - how was it even known back then? That was the first week of this investigation. That was before we all saw the 9-1 body cam video (and I doubt that MPD personnel remembered to review that video back in Week 1).

So there's movement in this case. Maybe tomorrow the "not believed to be involved" list will be back.
You don’t think within that first week the surviving roommates were interviewed? It’s very likely they were interviewed and that’s how LE knew where they were sleeping. We have very few facts confirmed by LE - I’m comfortable with believing the survivors were on the 1st floor.

MOO

EBM: typo

Last edited:
Re: The Sept 1st noise complaint video

I think the referenced speculation is way off IMO. The blonde girl who answers the door in the noise complaint video does not look like B to me. And it would imply that Kaylee (and/or other victims) were hiding from LE, and there is no evidence to suggest they would behave that way.
In terms of Maddie, a look at her Linkedin page reveals (per what she wrote) someone who seemingly successfully held positions of leadership in various organizations, completed various internships, and also held a job while doing much of the other. IMO, she wouldn't be likely to hide from authority as she's had to answer to adult authority in a variety of settings.
What I wonder about the Sept 1st noise complaint video is that it sounds to me like Maddie said to the Police Officer at ~1:55, "......I'm just frustrated...". I couldn't make out exactly what she said immediately before that.

I can assume that maybe Maddie (and ? others) gave permission for someone to have, perhaps, a few friends over at the house while she and the other roommates were out. And then, perhaps, the recipient of that permission was not respectful and spread the word that there was a house party, and many people showed up. And if so, this may not have been the first time something like this happened with this person.

So.....did Maddie (and ? other roommates also) end up confronting someone as a result? Of course even IF there was a confrontation it would not necessarily have led to murder, but I'm curious about a possible dynamic.

And just as a "for what it's worth" observation......... Although I don't necessarily think that one of the roommates was THE target, Maddie's pink cowgirl boots were on her windowsill at the time of the murder. And in the below picture the window blinds were not closed all the way.

Anyway..... just some thoughts. If anyone can decipher what Maddie said in the above video before "I'm frustrated" please share. Thanks!

Edited to say that I was only trying to post the 2nd video, so please disregard the 1st, thanks!
Well, I suppose your view could be correct. I won’t dispute, but that’s not what I got out of it, but that’s ok. And if in fact Maddie was there and didn’t want to come to the door, it by no means lowers my view point of her. I have certainly had many many party’s and less than respectable moments in my life compared to this. I guess if they did let others hang out when they went to another party they must have had co fidence in whom ever they left in charge.

Speculation:

What seems more likely to me, frankly, is that the friend group (more than one person) did something to enrage someone. This person was in their social circle and of course had been to the house before.

A person who is protecting a secret, a person who feels insulted by the slightest thing, a jilted lover, a person who fantasizes they have relationships that are more intimate than the other person might feel, a person who habitually blames others for their own problems, a grievance collector and, perhaps, someone with a diagnosable mental illness. Or any combination of these (plus a bunch of others I'm sure you all can think of). Someone with obsessive, intrusive thoughts; vaguely or acutely paranoid. A person who feels they have been made a social spectacle by a friend group or who perceives groups on campus as very important to their own self-esteem.

Maybe promises made and not kept. Statements misperceived and taken too seriously. Popular groups against lesser groups. I could go on. There were no sororities at my uni (they had been banned after multiple suicides blamed on rush practices, way back in the 1930's or something) but we did have fraternities and various other organizations that were considered cool to be in (by the people in them of course). But U of I has way more Greek life than my Uni did and it's clear that Greek life at U of I provided some privileges (more on-campus housing, for one thing). But the power dynamics of Greek life on many campuses are very intricate, with longstanding feuds, issues and "pranking" that can go way south. Other groups can of course play these roles, but it's obvious just from the past year of police logs how much goes down in and around fraternity road and adjacent areas. LE tells the partiers, flat out (Sept 1 body cam), "This is an off campus sorority house," and the officer says it firmly. If it were on campus, there could be more repercussions for breaking Greek rules (underage drinking gets fraternities and sororities suspended; their prestige and housing upended).

Where I currently teach, frats and sororities are gradually disappearing. I rarely have students in my classes who are in either. Our local stats show that frat and sorority people tend to major in subjects other than what I teach (Business is the most popular major for frat members; GE studies is in second or third place).
I don't know much, if anything, about "Greek" life; there was none of that at the Universites I attended. What I did find interesting in the Sept 1 body cam was one of the officers (seemingly the lead) saying something to the effect to one of the partiers "You dont want us to go to the Greek Council". That seemed strange to me. JMO. It sounded like the Council had more power than the police or, alternatively, that the police had to clear certain actions through them. I expected him to say something to the effect of "You don't want us to haul you off to jail".

Again, it might be that I simply do not understand how that world operates. MOO.

Partial Quote for brevity
What LE will be looking for (and probably completed to no avail)>>>
Are there any residents in the neighborhood who>> LEFT THE AREA OR ARE MISSING<< post attack. Regardless of a past history of drugs, encounters with LE, etc. MOO

Pretty sure there are a lot of innocent people who left the area post attack. JMO.

Any risk assessment (maybe not if the murderer is standing there with a blood-dripping knife) would include an analysis of finances and potential dangers within the community. In the real world, that is.

You are exactly right, and if Moscow PD or the Idaho State Police, or the FBI thought the finances of any of these girls caused them to be at high risk for murder, they would know by now. Because death is the real world.
100% sure no one gets a job at a tech company without a thorough background and social media check, beyond what any of us could obtain who isn’t a tech company.

Any idea what model and year the RR was, or how much it cost?
If not, I’d err on the side of those who figured that out.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member