ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your point of view and agree to a point. People want to feel safe, they want to be able to send their children to school, their young adults back to campus, go about their daily lives, and celebrate the holidays in safety rather than fear.

What I’m unsure about is how PD can make people feel safe.
How can LE warn the public in any effective way other than they already have. People should be careful, take care of each other, be aware of your surroundings, lock your doors, be ready to protect yourself. What else could they say that would not cause more problems?

Releasing a criminal profile would seem like a good idea, then they would know what type of person to watch out for and stay away from? I think that is a bad idea.
Profiling isn’t that exact of a science, the public would have reactions
-Against certain types of people, that could get out of hand
-Away from certain types not mentioned that could be dangerous

Some would act upon their own fears, delusions, anger, sense of justice, zealot mindset.
There is a more terrible idea- to these two things at the same time;
1) a profile on the killer
2) a monetary reward for information
Idaho is a gun toting state, like Texas. Someone would interpret that as a bounty. Vigilantes would bring someone, or someone’s head in a box to the Moscow PD.
Disgusting, yes. Fiction? No.

JMO
A monetary reward is the best way to apprehend a killer. We all know money talks.

Just my opinion, but I think it would change how many people function quite a lot. Knowing if this was someone random vs. Someone the students knew or had contact with in some way, who was targeting those who were killed (for a reason) makes all the difference. Of course everyone should always be vigilant, but knowing that there is a random murderer out there vs someone who had it out for a particular victim or victims does change things, a lot, imo.
There will be random murderers out there even after whoever did this is caught.

The Atlantic
Modern Life Has Made It Easier for Serial Killers to Thrive

But here’s a curious fact. As the number of serial killings has supposedly fallen, so too has the rate of murder cases solved—or “cleared,” in detective lingo. In 1965, the U.S. homicide clearance rate was 91 percent. By 2017, it had dropped to 61.6 percent, one of the lowest rates in the Western world. In other words, about 40 percent of the time, murderers get away with murder.

Some experts believe that serial killers are responsible for a significant number of these unsolved murders. Thomas Hargrove, the founder of the Murder Accountability Project, a nonprofit that compiles data on homicide, has examined how many unsolved murders are linked by DNA evidence. He believes that at least 2 percent of murders are committed by serial offenders—translating to about 2,100 unidentified serial killers. Michael Arntfield, a retired police detective and the author of 12 books on serial murder, agrees that the FBI’s projections are off (he blames patchy data, among other things) but thinks the number of active serial killers is more like 3,000 or 4,000.

"•Goncalves's pet dog Murphy was home at the time of the slayings and is now living with her ex-boyfriend Jack DuCoeur and his family in Coeur D'Alene, Idaho"
That doesn't really answer the question of where he was at the time of the murders, but I'm not sure that's a question we are even allowed to ask on here.

I’ve seen officers do that before, I think they are revealing their thoughts and intentions. Pretty smart, imo. Bodycams are meant to be a recording of their actions, but the thoughts and intentions behind those actions can be misinterpreted. Maybe narrating is a way to prevent that- make things more transparent?

It is interesting to hear!
JMO
My interpretation was the officer speaking was training the other officer with him. It doesn't strike me as a narration of the response to the call so much as an effort to keep the response to the call calm & patient.

Reading everyone's interpretations of the young people's response to the officers, I was struck by how frustrated I would be in the position of the officers. I mean, just shutting the door in their face & disappearing? Talking at a distance from the back patio?

The one speaking was very experienced in handling this type of call in a way that keeps it from potentially escalating & was explaining his approach to a less experienced colleague in my view.

I wonder if anyone in LE on this thread has some insight?

MOO & JMO

Hoping that the perp(s) will be apprehended soon. IMO LE is onto someone and is just piecing together enough evidence for a solid conviction. The fact there is no reward money indicates IMO that they know someone.

I'm also beginning to wonder if the Elantra is a red herring, something to make those who claim they have alibis sweat.

Again MOO.
I agree, although I think finding/positively identifying the occupants of the Elantra will destroy someone's alibi here. I hope so!

For those who didn't catch it, an interview on News Nation, Dan Abrams Live, BE host speaking with Chief Fry. "We don't know who the individual is" makes me wonder if he indeed knows this is one person. Not who, but how many. Just IMO.Moscow police chief insists early investigations were properly done | Dan Abrams Live
I believe LE would know it is one person which is my opinion verses multiple killers. They woukd see footprints on top of the blood splatter and would eliminate roomates based on shoe print so they would know that it was one or multiple.
Agree totally. He came in the dark where his fantasy self could exercise displaced aggression with the weapon that makes him powerful. He came to kill, not talk.

IMO
Agree and there was some theories killer was in house hiding in wait which does not sound plausible given the dog presense and that the girls brough back food to eat they would have been in and around home before bed and would have seen him unless well hidden.

That doesn't really answer the question of where he was at the time of the murders, but I'm not sure that's a question we are even allowed to ask on here.
If only Murphy had inflicted a bite wound on the perp that then got infected.....not much justice but something.
MOO

I'm also beginning to wonder if the Elantra is a red herring, something to make those who claim they have alibis sweat.

Again MOO.
RSBM
It appears, IMHO, that the CBP at the Canadian border doesn't consider it a red herring. Although there was no official request submitted, they're "keeping an eye out for it."

Under "Who is NOT believed to be involved?"
"•The male Kaylee and Madison called numerous times during the early morning hours of November 13th,"

I don't see any reason to trust what is being put out on Youtube and other places more than the information put out by MPD.

That’s not really confirmed. It was a funny statement made by her mother at one point.

I've had the eerie thought that he could be on this or some other sleuthing website. He might be thrilled to hear everyone analyzing him and even "complementing" his strength, preparedness, knife skills etc. I hope not.
The irony is if this case goes quiet, the killer may feel the need to refuel his fantasy with a new murder. When the police tell us to trust them that is what they are asking us to trust them with.

My interpretation was the officer speaking was training the other officer with him. It doesn't strike me as a narration of the response to the call so much as an effort to keep the response to the call calm & patient.

Reading everyone's interpretations of the young people's response to the officers, I was struck by how frustrated I would be in the position of the officers. I mean, just shutting the door in their face & disappearing? Talking at a distance from the back patio?

The one speaking was very experienced in handling this type of call in a way that keeps it from potentially escalating & was explaining his approach to a less experienced colleague in my view.

I wonder if anyone in LE on this thread has some insight?

MOO & JMO
The same officers responding to underage drinking and noise complaints, investigating and on scene for a quadruple homicide. The captain said he had many young officers on the scene, whom had never experienced a homicide scene. LE system is broken. Many state there is a learning curve, and they are adapting well. Almost half of all murders go unsolved. The victims deserve that ONLY experienced investigators and veterans of homicide investigations process the scene and coordinate the investigation. The lead on this case was hired in 2020.

I propose a Federal Homicide Investigation Task Force of experienced LE homicide detectives, (with a priority to bring more female investigators) that automatically has jurisdiction over any local LE agency. Nationwide procedures and standards.

I've had the eerie thought that he could be on this or some other sleuthing website. He might be thrilled to hear everyone analyzing him and even "complementing" his strength, preparedness, knife skills etc. I hope not.
No doubt.

A monetary reward is the best way to apprehend a killer. We all know money talks.
I strongly feel that LE doesn’t see it necessary in the case. IMO they have a POI. They have evidence. Therefore there is no need for a monetary reward. They just need the missing puzzle piece(s) to wrap it up all nice and neat for a solid case.

EBM to correct typo

I believe LE would know it is one person which is my opinion verses multiple killers. They woukd see footprints on top of the blood splatter and would eliminate roomates based on shoe print so they would know that it was one or multiple.

Agree and there was some theories killer was in house hiding in wait which does not sound plausible given the dog presense and that the girls brough back food to eat they would have been in and around home before bed and would have seen him unless well hidden.
On the Sept. 1 body cam footage, the bottom-floor right apartment appeared to be unoccupied. I'd love to find out whether it was unoccupied on the night of the murder. IMO it would be the most plausible hiding space, if that's what happened.

At this point, you could tell me the culprit(s) are anyone from friend, family or ex, to angry neighbor or wronged drug dealer to Santa's elves and I'd be like, yeah, that makes sense. I'm completely flummoxed.
Snipped in the spirit of Christmas to get things back on track.

I tend to look at the reported homicide statistics to start. The DOJ and FBI release detailed data (caveat: based on REPORTS from other LE agencies, so any data that is not reported, is not counted).

Most homicide victims are killed by someone they know. Now, what’s the definition of “know”? If I take myself as an example, there’s a limited pool of people I interact with during any given year - mostly limited to my community and my law clients and colleagues. Now take a college student on a big campus, participating in 300+ student lecture classes, participating in social events, socializing in local bars - their network of “known” people is many times the size of mine.

So I think to start that makes this a very tricky case. Even “known” individuals are voluminous. Then if you eliminate all known individuals, you’re left with a big question mark. There isn’t an easy answer for where to look. You’re usually relying on good tips and good luck.

So I think the right answer right here right now is to be completely confused. There doesn’t seem to be an obvious answer like in a DV case or red flags and eyewitnesses like a mass shooting case. Private and personal yet the most likely suspects seem to have been ruled out. Who knows!

RSBM
It appears, IMHO, that the CBP at the Canadian border doesn't consider it a red herring. Although there was no official request submitted, they're "keeping an eye out for it."
MOO.. Did they put the bolo for the white Elantra at the border out too late? Was there a bolo put out at the Mexican Borders as well? Just curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*