Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting for a valid link on this.
Credit going to @gliving for providing link.

Two roommates were home at the time of the killings, police have said. The roommates heard something, according to Chapin’s mother, Stacy, though she did not get into details. Idaho State Police spokesman Aaron Snell told ABC News on Thursday that the roommates were being cooperative and may be “key” to solving the crime. “Potentially they are witnesses, potentially they are victims,” Snell said. But he added: “We’re not focusing just on them. We’re focusing on everybody that may be coming and going from their residence.”

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article268898017.html#storylink=cpy

Scott Peterson case is an example - they knew it was him but took 4 months to collect enough evidence to ensure a conviction.
That and the Alex Murdaugh case were I think easier to solve because when a married person is murdered, the spouse always starts at the top of the list, and when the killer has other stuff going on (an affair or in the Murdaugh case, newly-revealed criminal conduct), the spouse may fairly quickly be the only suspect. It’s just naturally more difficult with 4 victims and the real possibility of the victims not actually knowing their killer(s).

Kaylee put up an Ad to sell her Subaru, and in the Ad she said she that she was moving across the country in the beginning of December and would no longer be in the area.

Putting that together with statements from her Mother, she was not going back after Thanksgiving break.

Opinion

Last edited:
And that specific knife is designed to twist, lift, and shank like no other…while stabbing the intended mark. Jmoo
Indeed. And designed not to harm cut or scratch the person wielding it even when used with a huge amount of power behind it.

From the way the wounds have been descried credible sources, such as the coroner, nothing excludes direct deep thrusts, which are also the most common sense and logical for the killer to have used -- as that is virtually instantly debilitating, virtually silent -- and silencing.

My first post here on this killing weeks ago was one after I saw a forensic "expert" on YouTube commenting on this case and saying knife murders hands would be cut.

I don't know about that expert, but in basic we spent hours thrusting a combat knife into dummies. ballistic material and wood 2x8's and no one cut or scratched their hands.

And this was not a knife fight. It was not west side story slashing. It wasn't a switch blade or domestic killing at had escalated to slashing with a kitchen knife. It was an ambush stabbing of sleeping or barely roused people. if you are standing above someone, especially a petite female where they are sleeping, any fit military age male could put a butter knife all the way thorough their chest. we know form multiped credible sources that the knife left a bruise. That with virtual certainly means a direct deep powerful stab fully in one side and out the other, and total penetration as the hilt or handguard actually hit hard enough to bruise.

exactly...you never know what could be in the background at any given time. Makes me think about that guy who was saved from a murder charge by the slight chance that a tv broadcast of the game he attended at the time of the murder just so happen to show the crowd, in the section he was in..
Yes, and the college population of that town may have on their smartphones, 00x the number of videos and stills that business and home surveillance cameras might have. and on those the primary subject the person was taking a pic, selfie or video of of may be meaningless, but something could be in background on those.

I think that white Hyundai Elantra has everything to do with these murders. JMO
yes we have the whole spectrum, of it being mistaken and utterly irrelevant as has been the case with supposed involved vehicles in several high profile cases. Or equally as plausible it may well be the perps car.

I think of the investigators knew that someone in the person of interest subset had access to a white Elantra in that year range, I think it is entirely possible that the investigators would not make that knowledge public.

There is no car in my scenario. E&X and perpetrator walked the half block from the frat house home to Kings road coming up in back of the house.

I think they came in the back way, that is why the Ring camera shows K&M arriving home but not E&X. I never said they returned in a car or that the perpetrator drove a car to the residence. He simply walked back to the frat house later.

If the white Hyundia was on Taylor whoever driving it may have seen E&X with the perp going to Kings RD or perp returning to frat house. Maybe this is why LE says whoever is in that car has crucial evidence. They saw the perp crossing Taylor to or from Kings Rd.

if it was someone even loosely associated with the victims, wouldn't someone, somewhere in their sphere report that they know someone who drove or drives that car?

Maybe the person who drives that car is not in their sphere and is simply someone going to or from work. Or a party.

I personally think that LE has the wrong make and model car. Maybe even the wrong color, as an ivory, light yellow or silver car can look white at night under street lights.

This is all just my opinion.

JMO

That's a lot of logical hoops to have to go through for the car to be of mere peripheral significance considering it is one of the few facts towards a potential perpetrator that LE has actually released. Doesn't Occam's Razor apply to the car as well?

Indeed, very rarely does LE come out publicly and say the person driving X car is suspect #1. Rather, they use lawyerly parsings to protect their case and insinuate that he is. Why else would they be jumping immediately after video and public web 'investigations' into said car?

It is far more likely the perpetrator drove the car than not.

My opinion.

I have wondered this as well, also since her and Maddie were life long friends I wondering have they been room mates together since their freshman year?

No, they pledged and lived in two different sorority houses for years 2 and 3. Year 1 they do not appear do have been roommates (from their Instas).

IMO.

MOO>> OLD NEWS<< Says very little

If it was old news to you, and already known to you that one of the girls on the first floor heard something, why ask me for a link to what I posted about them having heard a noise from upstairs?

Just wondering what your thought process was. TIA for your explanation.

JMO
I am not part of that exchange but I don't see it as really meaningful, except mainly for time. It would be interesting if they noted the time, although that is not something someone with no training would probably do.

Being conditions to hearing noises almost all weekend nights, parties, probably occasional guests in rooms, or on couch would also mean it was natural to ignore the noises. My first housemates when I was a sophomore in undergrad made every human and non human noise all the time.

What we don't have from that news article is any indication as to whether hearing noise was unusual. The house and the residents could actually be noisy as a norm.

Indeed. And designed not to harm cut or scratch the person wielding it even when used with a huge amount of power behind it.

From the way the wounds have been descried credible sources, such as the coroner, nothing excludes direct deep thrusts, which are also the most common sense and logical for the killer to have used -- as that is virtually instantly debilitating, virtually silent -- and silencing.

My first post here on this killing weeks ago was one after I saw a forensic "expert" on YouTube commenting on this case and saying knife murders hands would be cut.

I don't know about that expert, but in basic we spent hours thrusting a combat knife into dummies. ballistic material and wood 2x8's and no one cut or scratched their hands.

And this was not a knife fight. It was not west side story slashing. It wasn't a switch blade or domestic killing at had escalated to slashing with a kitchen knife. It was an ambush stabbing of sleeping or barely roused people. if you are standing above someone, especially a petite female where they are sleeping, any fit military age male could put a butter knife all the way thorough their chest. we know form multiped credible sources that the knife left a bruise. That with virtual certainly means a direct deep powerful stab fully in one side and out the other, and total penetration as the hilt or handguard actually hit hard enough to bruise.
It maybe was not a legitimate knife fight but I understand that some of the victims resisted the onslaught and that can cause the perp to injure himself. In my basic training we didn't have any slippery blood to deal with.

I'd not heard the Backpacking part but had heard she was going to Europe and then had a job lined up in Tx. I had wondered why she did not stay for graduation but if her name was not on the list then she did have credits to complete. I doubt she was likely paying for the tuition or the rent. Her FB shows a photo dump of her Freshman year, dated Mar of 2020. Maybe she was interning and transferring her credits to a University in Texas.
Most universities do not allow graduating seniors to take courses at other universities. There is no indication she was transferring, which would almost certainly require another year of study, since commencement at the transferred school would require 30 credits in most places I know of. It may be that she had the credits to finish but didn’t want to officially graduate until the big ceremony in May so she didn’t process graduation application. She may have completed required courses but needed elective credits. Lots of possibililites.

One would think that there would be a measurable demographic of slightly older students that are military veterans paying for the college education on the GI Bill.

IMO it is near certain that the killer has training and practical familiarity with a knife made for offense.

Perhaps ROTC too (not sure how that works). The military base we've been discussing is about 370 miles away from the university - although there are some online classes, the vast majority of U of I classes are in person.

GI Bill students of course attend university all the time and get to live where ever they want!

I'm very interested in your opinion (which seems to be unpopular). I agree with you. While I hold open the possibility that the person trained themselves with manuals and youtubes, it's definitely the case that many knife owners I know would not be able to use their knives in this manner without quite a bit of training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest