ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case has made me think back to my own time in college and I remember a campus news bulletin went out one time about a girl waking up to a guy hiding in her closet. I don’t think there was more info given and I think she was unharmed but yeah that happens….blegh
I like your tagline. It is a really good thing to teach.

In the Fox interview, Kaylee's family say that she and her ex were about to get back together, but that doesn't really fit with the facts we know. Granted, there may be more to it than we are privy to, but she was graduating and moving away in the next few months. Also, sounds like J was in Couer d'Alene when Kaylee was recently there at her parents' house, and although the breakup is described as amicable, J seems not to be getting back to Kaylee at that time as well as she is imploring him to get back to her, reach out to her, and stating that they have a dog together, etc. I think she wanted it to be amicable. JMO.
Totally agree. They no longer follow each other on IG, so to me that doesn’t seem very amicable. I wonder how recently that happened.

Interesting about the 911 call. Could just be a different way of expressing the same idea.

The call came in shortly before noon, but Latah County Coroner Cathy Mabbutt said the students died in the early morning hours of Nov. 13. The caller "requested aid for an unconscious person," but police found four dead people when they arrived.

Dont you need a password to connect to a wiki? Technology has changed on me.

I am so confused. Only wiki I use for my cell is in my home, or AT&T service...what am I missing?
I don’t what recording is made, but I can see a lot of people’s phone names in any place I go if I want to log on. I can’t because I don’t have their password. Is my device recorded anywhere ? I have no idea

Another thing worth noting in the context of parents supporting the boyfriend is that many times parents get rosy descriptions of their child’s relationship that might not be 100% in-line with reality. Kids don’t want to make their life more difficult by being 100% honest about the state of their relationship and opening up judgment/commentary/feedback about their significant other to their parents. Also, people in love (especially young ones) are not exactly known for being the most rational. MOO
Reminds me of a case from almost 20 years ago, when the wife's mother defended the husband repeatedly...until their unborn child and eventually, the wife, washed up on shore.

That is so many of us. We all want to be the hero type, I sure do! But, being a web sleuth, how many 911 calls have we heard where, someone has been murdered, and the 911 operator asks the caller if they are breathing, perform CPR, etc. I have heard people argue that they just can't look, beg 911 to just hurry and get someone to come help.

I have always been in total awe of those who can just jump in and do what needs to be done.
Agreed. Not even anywhere near the level of seriousness, but earlier this week, I was at a social function, and afterward a woman tripped and bloodied her nose. There were a few of us there and we tried to help her, but there was only one person who really took charge of the situation and was effective rather than flailing around. (I'd like to think I am good in situations, but it was not me. I ended up just following her lead and was really impressed with how well she handled the situation.) I can't even imagine how much more magnified this would be at a murder scene.

Something else to consider, and morbid/sad I know...but it's been said that there was a lot of blood. Blood smells, even when dry. I wonder if the two unharmed roommates noted an odd odor which further triggered their "spidey sense"?
I was around two guys who got in a huge fight once . There was a lot of blood . I remember it smelled very metallic .

Still confused about the dog. If kaylee and the ex were fighting over the dog then who had him the night of the crime? I think the sister said she let the dog out but how would she know that? Betting maybe that came from the survivors who hung out with the other roommates for a while before retiring to bed? Then the dog escaped when the sp came in and left the door open? We need more info. Hope something good comes out of this pc @3.

I am thinking killer has substantial upper body strength to deeply plunge knife into upper torsos and wrench it out at least four times. Seems like these acts required precision and good concentration and he came in prepared. Most likely he was dressed totally in black to camouflage appearance of blood on clothing.
I disagree. I am a petite woman with pretty wimpy upper body strength and I can butcher meat with no problem as long as my knife is sharp enough.

Just a thought… is it possible that if the killer was injured and bleeding after the last attack it stopped him from going to others?
I feel that if he (speculation) was injured during the attack, a blood trail from the home would be visible. MOO

Reminds me of a case from almost 20 years ago, when the wife's mother defended the husband repeatedly...until their unborn child and eventually, the wife, washed up on shore.
Yes! This is actually the case that I’ve been saying that made me think it. Laci’s mom vehemently defended Scott Peterson. Of course, if you put the pieces together, you know that she knew it was him and suspected him the whole time, but she was trying to maintain a cordial relationship with him. I’m sure the police say pretend that you believe him so that you can keep in touch with him and see what he says and does. Hoping that he slips up. That’s exactly who I was thinking of. And definitely she wasn’t the first and won’t be the last family member to do that.

Dont you need a password to connect to a wiki? Technology has changed on me.

I am so confused. Only wiki I use for my cell is in my home, or AT&T service...what am I missing?
Assuming you mean Wifi instead of wiki, if you've connected to someone's, say a friend's or restaurant/hotel's, WiFi using their password, the connection will show up as a trusted or known network when you come back in the future. As long as the password hasn't changed since you first logged in, you'll automatically be connected to a known network.

JMO.

I wanted to emphasize this from the article linked above by @dotr (RBBM):

“Ethan Chapin captured photos of the event on his phone, but the family has yet to see them. The device [phone] is being held by law enforcement as potential evidence in the homicide investigation.''

There are so many questions surrounding the phones, what phone contacts were made when and by/to whom, and why there weren’t any reported emergency calls by the victim that I thought it of interest that LE has at least EC’s phone.

Also wanted to note that the NYT link above by @sds71 clarifies the call was made from the phone of a surviving roommate (does not state identity of caller) (RBBM):

“Investigators said they did not believe either [surviving roommate] was involved in the crime and suggested that they had possibly slept as their roommates were being killed. No one called 911 until just before noon on Sunday — many hours after the attack, which the authorities have said took place in the early morning hours. That call came from one of the surviving roommates’ cellphones.”

@Kaykedi I’m not sure which investigators you are referring to and when they entered the house. My understanding is that the initial LE response would have been for an unconscious person, so their priority would have been to reach that person and determine his/her status.

Subsequent photos and video do show investigators with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), and the area being marked / taped off. The difference may be crime scene/forensic investigators vs first responders.

All JMO.

The article is behind a pay wall.. can you elaborate on what event it was that Ethan captured on his phone?

If forensics tells me it’s not, then okay. Otherwise this surely looks like blood to me. Horrifying..
Moo
View attachment 381180
Haunting, isn't it? If this is blood dripping down an exterior wall, I wonder if blood also dripped down an interior wall into the survivors's bedroom. That would be a sight to see upon waking.

Or the killer also knew J and wanted to get rid of all five of them for reasons unknown, and they were all already deceased at that point and he/she was using their phones, switching when the first phone didn't elicit any response? Or the killer was in the house already as an invited person, and they were egging them on to get the gang together by whatever means possible? You're so right about the streaming of entire lives on social media!
Something else to consider, and morbid/sad I know...but it's been said that there was a lot of blood. Blood smells, even when dry. I wonder if the two unharmed roommates noted an odd odor which further triggered their "spidey sense"?

I'm new here. Hello.

With each tidbit that comes out, and of course there is so much more we don't know, it seems a scenario of an anonymous stalker/attacker remains plausible, which is unusual a week after the crimes are committed. It could still be a deranged wannabe <modsnip>, of course, or an argument with a violent individual gone haywire, but the serial killer angle is still possible. And it also seems this explanation might fit the contradictory facts better than conventional explanations. IMO MOO.

Welcome! Agreed. I’m open at this point to all possibilities.

So the two surviving roommates were out separately and returned around 1 AM according to the latest police update. The private driver is currently not thought to be involved. And the 911 call came from a roommate's phone inside the house.

I'm kind of surprised they're just now asking for any camera footage from the area. I wonder if they at first thought the roommate(s) may have been the suspects? And then determined they weren't so they needed to see people coming and going for the area of the home?

Right? Shouldn’t that be the first thing as camera footage can be deleted.

On the subject of being seen...

The moon rose at 7:06 pm last Saturday night and set about noon on Sunday. It was directly overhead about 3:36 AM on Sunday and was about 80% full. Based on that I would say it would have been fairly bright out, assuming no cloud cover. Can anyone local comment on the weather conditions that night?

Smart to look for the moon conditions. I wouldn’t have thought of that.

This is my first time posting in here so bare with me.

IMO: We know one of the surviving victims called 911 could it just be she woke up went to the kitchen to do her normal routine thought it was odd none of the other girls were awake which maybe is out of the ordinary for them went down the hallway and seen bloody foot prints on the wood floor’s probably even blood smeared on the bedroom door handles freaked out ran outside called 911 and the operator tried to get her to open the door to help her friend or kept asking her if she’s conscious or unconscious but the roommate didn’t know so the 911 operator said unconscious to step up the response because the caller seen blood everywhere.

Good first post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members