ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if maybe when the girls got home and let the dog out, it got loose. Maybe they called J because he had shared ownership of the dog and they wanted help searching for him/were panicking that it was running loose so late. I did see reports of a dog found the next morning, or at least I think it was morning. But I don't really see the girls going to sleep if the dog was still missing, unless the dog had the habit of running away and coming back on its own. Pure speculation here on possible reasons for calling J so many times when he was sleeping and hadn't been with the girls that night.

I was looking at the recent police reports and this stood out to me. It’s very possible it could’ve just been a coincidence, but given how safe Moscow is described as being, it stood out.

Someone called the cops reporting someone knocked on their door and then walked away (presumably saying to someone else) “they have a big dog, try a different house.”

Given the potentially missing dog situation, it grabbed my attention.
Well that's creepy.

I tend to believe and go with what Kaylee's parents are saying about J in the Fox news interview linked upthread. They said 1000% J is their family, he is distraught, had nothing to do with this and he and Kaylee would have eventually been married. That last part, of course we don't know for sure and maybe wouldn't have happened, but if they trust him implicitly and feel he is family and had nothing to do with this, then I lean that way too.

Knowing that Kaylee was wanting to get back together with him (according to her parents in that interview), I really feel that's what the 2:30-3 AM calls were about. She was drunk and IMO drunk dialing a bit to talk to J about getting back together or even coming over. Maybe Maddie called too because Kaylee wondered if J was screening her calls. Likely, I just think he put his phone on silent or vibrate and was sleeping and heard none of these calls.

I also don't feel it's necessarily odd that someone else called 911 from a surviving roommate's phone. I mentioned this earlier but can't remember if it was on this thread or the last one so I'll put in my opinion on that here again. It's possible the surviving roommates were in too much shock after discovering the scene to speak. So the 911 caller (a friend who stopped by? A guest of one of the the roommates? We don't know) took the phone from them and spoke to 911 themselves. Or one of the roommates took their phone out to call, and then knowing they could not speak, thrust it at the other person and said "Here call 911." MOO

“Passing interaction,” good way of putting it, key words, imo Possible incel too, but this is why I said imo perp could be “stranger to known and everything in between”.

Neighbors also often make their way into these cases.
These are my thoughts as well. They definitely should be looking very carefully into anyone within a 1 mile radius of the crime scene.

I also want to make the point that just because there was no sexual assault, does not mean that this was not a sexually motivated crime. Stabbing is a powerful form of penetration - add anger and resentment to the mix and it's plausible. That, of course, is in the scenario where KC and MM were the targets and E and X were collateral damage.

On another note, I have seen a lot of people making assumptions about there not being any evidence leading away from the house. I'm not sure where those assumptions are coming from since we are not privy to the evidence collected, but I thought I would highlight these points from this video interview with Kaylee's parents:
Fox News Interview with The Goncalves

[NOTE: I did my best to transcribe the dialogue, but it's hard on my phone while trying to type in one window and listen to the interview and type in the other. Any inaccuracies are my own.]

Dad: "They're telling us that there's so much evidence that it's going to take a lot of time to process it all. This wasn't a pinpoint crime, this person was sloppy, he (I'm saying he, that is my assumption) made a mess, and they're going to have to go through that point by point and that's going to take a lot of time, that is why they reached out to other organizations to help with that processing."

Mom: "that's why they have a mobile unit on site, they said that that is really going help expedite things. They've reached out to multiple labs for help in DNA processing, in other states. Hopefully get sites like 23andme involved. They haven't told us that they have DNA from the killer, but that they do have a ton of evidence. It's just going take a lot of time to analyze it. And now with the FBI task force on site they were able to collect a great deal evidence."

So personally, I believe this crime is very solvable, but if anyone thinks that LE already knows who did this or that there will be an arrest in the next few days... I would temper those expectations.

Can we speculate that the two girls were possibly still together when they called J but perhaps not when they were attacked? The victims were said to have been found in their beds, so they were likely not socializing or in the common area when the attack started.

Sometimes there are cases that I have a hard time stepping away from, and this is definitely one of those. Is anyone else feeling the same?

I wake up every day hoping for an arrest or at least an indication that LE have a POI. I've been checking the jail site like this is my own hometown, not a place I've never heard of on the other side of the country. I just feel so bad for these kids and their friends (especially the surviving roommates) and families. It's just all so unfair.

''Slain Idaho students leave behind bright memories, big goals​

Ethan Chapin’s last day was spent with his siblings, dressed up and dancing.
Chapin — one of four University of Idaho students stabbed to death last weekend, the police still searching for a killer — was a triplet. His brother and sister also attend the scenic state school tucked away in the rolling hills of north-central Idaho.
“He was our our daughter Maizie’s date, and his brother was Maizie’s roommates date,” Chapin’s mother, Stacy Chapin, said in an interview Wednesday. The group was attending a dance hosted by Maizie’s sorority. “They all spent their last day together, all dressed up, and had a great time. We’re all thankful that they spent that time together.”
Ethan Chapin captured photos of the event on his phone, but the family has yet to see them. The device is being held by law enforcement as potential evidence in the homicide investigation.''

and this on September 13

BBM

22-M07793 Threatening

Incident Address: PARADISE CREEK ST; UI Rec Center

MOSCOW ID 83843

Disposition: ACT

Time Reported: 19:47

Cad Comments: Male pulled a knife on female and her sorority sisters when they were walking back from crumble. Officers responded, report taken.
The first has been posted, but not this one that I've seen. Great find! Thank you! I certainly am glad there was a report taken, and hope police look into this very quickly.

MOO Just pondering but I'm wondering if maybe the relationship breakdown between Kaylee and her ex J wasn't as amicable as some people are saying. Maybe they are saying the "amicable breakup story" for a reason (i.e. not to spook somebody).
I have noticed that on Kaylee's insta (and please delete if this isn't allowed ... but it's not hearsay, or saying something that I've heard 3rd hand on social media) but on her page the last photo of her and her ex together was two years ago. I would have expected there to be more recent photos of them together if they've only just broken up (unless she has been deleting him from her page).
If she was ringing him about the dog, and he was refusing to answer - could it be that in an attempt to still tie her to him, he takes her somewhere where she sees an absolutely gorgeous puppy, and he suggests they could get him and share ownership. This might have suited her as she might have thought she was in a position to take care of the dog full time, but she would still get to see the dog and spend time with it whenever she wanted. But then when it became obvious that she was moving on in life without her ex, he might have started to use the dog like a divorced parent can sometimes use a child. Denying visitation, telling her that she couldn't have the dog unless they were a couple, using her love for the dog as a way of controlling her.
This is all pure conjecture, but just something I'd throw out there. MOO
Or vice versa. If the dog is still a puppy, he was purchased in the past year. If they were both at U of I, neither could have kept the dog on campus. She could've been contacting him to let him know she was in town with Murphy and offer him a chance to see the pup before she headed home. I do agree the amicable breakup story isn't necessarily the truth. (edit for typo)

Last edited:
Couple of thoughts

1. I understand why K would call J multiple times prior to passing out - drunk dialing, etc. However, I don’t know why M would as well, unless there was a reason why J would specifically not pick up for K at that time.

2. If the killer had been in the home previously as a friendly, he had likely been on the Wi-Fi and would likely auto connect when in the home. That data should be on their router and easy to obtain by LE.

3. IMO, the most rational explanation for the 911 call is that someone (potentially J’s friend) walks into the house and sees the bodies, heads downstairs and sees the surviving roommates. Asks the first one he sees to hand him their phone and tells them to get out of the house and then calls 911. That would put the other roommates out of the house at the time of the call, explain why one of their phones was used, and still make that caller seem suspicious enough for the police to investigate him.

MOO Just pondering but I'm wondering if maybe the relationship breakdown between Kaylee and her ex J wasn't as amicable as some people are saying. Maybe they are saying the "amicable breakup story" for a reason (i.e. not to spook somebody).
I have noticed that on Kaylee's insta (and please delete if this isn't allowed ... but it's not hearsay, or saying something that I've heard 3rd hand on social media) but on her page the last photo of her and her ex together was two years ago. I would have expected there to be more recent photos of them together if they've only just broken up (unless she has been deleting him from her page).
If she was ringing him about the dog, and he was refusing to answer - could it be that in an attempt to still tie her to him, he takes her somewhere where she sees an absolutely gorgeous puppy, and he suggests they could get him and share ownership. This might have suited her as she might have thought she was in a position to take care of the dog full time, but she would still get to see the dog and spend time with it whenever she wanted. But then when it became obvious that she was moving on in life without her ex, he might have started to use the dog like a divorced parent can sometimes use a child. Denying visitation, telling her that she couldn't have the dog unless they were a couple, using her love for the dog as a way of controlling her.
This is all pure conjecture, but just something I'd throw out there. MOO
While ex-es are certainly a source of suspicion in many cases, in this case, I get the sense that it was Kaylee, who was reaching out to her ex nonstop rather than the other way around, according to her sister. She was the one who called him six times. She was the one who said we share a dog together as perhaps leverage in trying to get him to call her back. Everything I have read makes it seem more that she was pursuing the relationship more than he was.

Personally, despite what LE says, I'm still eyeballing the food truck guy. "Not a suspect AT THIS TIME" means little this early into the investigation.

All opinion and sorry if these are repeat comments. It seems like a stalker might know who lives there and who could be there at a given time, if they routinely observe, or had observed that night. Could be a risky time for a potential crime. It also seems like they would have left digital footprints with repetitive social media viewings, assuming that's traceable. At minimum, wouldn't others have been told about them? So, wouldn't they quickly be on the LE's radar? Granted anything seems possible here.

I'm especially interested in the ride from the food truck. And whether it could have been a crime of opportunity that went extremely bad. In which case, I feel like there must be some forensic evidence. If they are asking for a large area for video, does that suggest they know/think a vehicle could be involved? Surely people don't just hop into ride sharing vehicles without an app or some trail, right? I would like to know if there is info how ride was paid for, assuming it wasn't cash/free. Knifes are easy to obtain, at least around here. I was at an antique mall the other day and literally anything sharp could be acquired, 15% off with cash payment. MOO.
Wasn't the ride from the food truck cleared?

In Saturday's update, police said that they've investigated the driver who took the women home on Sunday night and "do not believe he is involved in this crime."

From looking at the layout of the house, I don't find it inconceivable that one of the roommates came upstairs and once into the living room, saw either someone lying in the main floor back hall or bedroom, or even might have seen someone lying on the steps or landing on the stairs going to third floor. If it was immediately alarming, she might have run downstairs and either called a friend/boyfriend to come over, or someone was already there visiting and while the roommate was freaking out, she handed her phone to the other person to call 911. For some reason, the 911 call does not seem suspicious to me, but I could be very wrong. We really don't know enough about it, either way, imo.

If M and K were sleeping upstairs, and either of them were the sole target, the killer could have come in the kitchen, gone up the stairs, and left through the kitchen without even coming into the living area where the bottom floor steps and X's room were (unless the floor plans are wrong and X's room was right next to the upstairs staircase). I know the general theory is that E or X heard something and came out of the bedroom, so they would have had to walk through the living room and into the hall or kitchen. That's very possible, especially if the upstairs girls were sharing a room. One would have been alerted as the other was attacked, and probably could have tried to flee and was killed somewhere other than the exact spot she was sleeping, which woke up E and X. IDK. But the whole scenario could be reversed and E or X was the first target and attacked, which woke the upstairs girls, who came out of their room to investigate. If the killer had attacked E and X first, he would have for sure gone past the stairs to the third floor on his way out the kitchen door. That's why I really wonder if the girls didn't become the secondary targets when the killer saw them by the steps. Jmo.

I'm thinking very similar.
I think the person entered through sliding door on 2nd floor. Went up the stairs to their intended target - I'm thinking Kaylee. Discovered both girls together and killed both. Back down the stairs to leave and possibly ran into Ethan, who either heard a noise and got up to check, or could have been doing something as simple as getting a drink of water. Killer attacks and (almost) kills him. Xana though still half asleep maybe hears something and yells out to Ethan asking him what is going on. Killer decides he can't risk her seeing him, so goes into the room and kills her (why she has the defensive wounds). Ethan may have dragged himself from the spot where he was originally stabbed (possibly to try and get to Xana) but is too weak from blood loss and dies. I'm thinking maybe somebody (possibly his friend who was supposed to catch up with him) saw his body either through the kitchen window or the sliding door. Entered the house, realised something is really wrong, spots a phone on the kitchen bench charging, and immediately dials 911.

I think you are spot on!

It took a very fearless killer to enter a home with six adults, one a large strong male, and a dog!
Do we know anything about the presence/absence of the 2 unharmed roommates that previous evening?

I wouldn't rule out the killer entering before the people on floor 2 and 3 got home, especially if there had been some spurned guy mental altercation at one of the parties or the sports bar. The dog was probably used to ppl coming and going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelanteCO