ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever drove them home has been cleared by the police, so I doubt it was either of the deceased victims.
I missed the part where the driver of the car drove away. My thought process was, If LE were to find out E, X, K, and M all arrived home together after E & X picked up the 2 girls, then obviously the driver of the car would have been “cleared”.

The most likely explanation is this: they thought one of their friends was passed out (door locked, no response) and didn't know what to do and friends got there within 10 minutes most likely. Friends gave surviving roommates enough confidence to call the police, and then everything unfolded from there. MOO.

IMO I can see something like this happening just from personal experience. In my experience, someone was unconscious, there were no adults present and the others were too scared to call 911. They called me, and I told them they had to call 911.

That being said, there wasn’t any blood or anything. This was someone drinking on medication they shouldn’t be, totally different scenario. But the idea of them calling friends before 911 didn’t seem plausible to me until you phrased it this way.

Not understanding why several friends were called - and showed up - before 911 was called. If they thought it might be an overdose, EMS has narcan.
Perhaps fraternity/sorority type of logic. Protect yourself, fear of punishment/consequences etc. They are all at that age where forward thinking may not even be on their radar. They are thinking of the immediate consequences. Of course, that logic is further skewed and altered by them possibly being hungover and/or still intoxicated from the night prior. Horrific situation to be in - panic of course plays a role that could have impacted their judgment.

A reminder, per the NYT (paywalled) article:

Investigators have yet to identify a suspect. They have, however, preliminarily ruled out several people, including:
  • A man seen with Ms. Goncalves and Ms. Mogen in the video footage at the food truck.
  • The man who gave Ms. Goncalves and Ms. Mogen a ride home.
  • The two surviving housemates, who were in the house during the attack.
  • The friends who were called to the house by the surviving housemates the morning after the attacks.
  • Mr. DuCoeur, the former boyfriend of one victim.
  • The victims themselves.
link
Weird that they only ruled out one of the girls former boyfriends . Maybe the other just didn’t have a solid alibi and eventually will but still weird . Have a strong feeling it isn’t an ex though

On the issue of room doors with locks in group housing, that is probably the case in some, and probably not the case in others. Also a basic button lock might keep someone hunting for a bathroom from peeing in your closet, but can be opened quietly in one second with a business card, credit card -- or knife. Additionally if they have a buzz on and/or are tired, they may not have used a lock even if present

Is there evidence whatsoever they were in any way "butchered?"
I am not a hunter but was taught how to use a combat knife in the military. People think using knives lethally is either some choreographed nonsense out of west side story, or some charnal house thing with entrails and bodies cut into pieces.

In reality you are taught to use the knife with stealth and make one or two deep powerful wounds in thorax. That is going to, to a virtual certainty, silence and lethality wound anyone. If they are sleeping somewhat intoxicated and barely waking, the victim could try and block the strike, or grab the knife blade and get defensive wounds. It isn't butching, has nothing to do with hunting, and can be quite silent
Exactly! My brother is current military right now and I have been discussing this case with him and he said it’s much simpler to murder with a knife then people understand! Honestly, after him explaining to me what he was taught, I may know exactly how to murder someone with a knife. It was legit daunting to me he could tell me every step with such a calm demeanor. Kind of creeped me out lol

I know we don't have this information but since all the victims were killed with a knife, it would be interesting to know if one of the victims was more brutally attacked then the others. That would possibly give you the target of the killer. If there was one main target.

Perhaps fraternity/sorority type of logic. Protect yourself, fear of punishment/consequences etc. They are all at that age where forward thinking may not even be on their radar. They are thinking of the immediate consequences. Of course, that logic is further skewed and altered by them possibly being hungover and/or still intoxicated from the night prior. Horrific situation to be in - panic of course plays a role that could have impacted their judgment.
To add another perspective, in a situation I was in, they didn’t call the police because they weren’t sure if they were overreacting. They weren’t sure if it was a case of their friends being too drunk and needing to sleep it off, or a legitimate emergency.

Initially LE stated the girls were brought home by a rideshare company but now it’s a private party. I think a lot of us here believe E&X picked the girls up and they all returned back to the home together. IMO
A family member said a neighbors ring picked up the girls returning home but didn't mention X and E

A reminder, per the NYT (paywalled) article:

Investigators have yet to identify a suspect. They have, however, preliminarily ruled out several people, including:
  • A man seen with Ms. Goncalves and Ms. Mogen in the video footage at the food truck.
  • The man who gave Ms. Goncalves and Ms. Mogen a ride home.
  • The two surviving housemates, who were in the house during the attack.
  • The friends who were called to the house by the surviving housemates the morning after the attacks.
  • Mr. DuCoeur, the former boyfriend of one victim.
  • The victims themselves.
link
So JD is cleared??

I missed the part where the driver of the car drove away. My thought process was, If LE were to find out E, X, K, and M all arrived home together after E & X picked up the 2 girls, then obviously the driver of the car would have been “cleared”.
This is my thinking too.

Knife laws are pretty wide open in Idaho
The only real restriction I saw is if the blade is over 4" and concealed you need a permit. Otherwise, yes, VERY wide open, even switchblades.

This might sound strange but a thought. Could it possible that this was done by someone in LE? Police, Sheriff? Someone who was again obsessed with the girl's. LE called out to the house for loud partying and would know the inside of the house. Would know where the girl's live and bar's they go out to. Perhaps had a short relationship with one of them. Relationship was short and jealousy can drive people to murder. Former military and became LE who would know to kill. LE can be a great cover and its happened in the past on many occasions. Braking up the wrong tree maybe. MOO

No one likes to believe that LE members could be responsible for murders or stalking crimes. They are outliers but they do happen. I used to work for a large police force in Canada. They use stringent methods, including psychological profiling, to weed out undesirable candidates but occasionally we missed the mark.

Tourist towns near the Great Lakes attract a lot of young people and in the summer the bars are full of them. One of the temporary posting for young cops during the summer was policing the bars to ensure no underage drinking was going on, and to nip any attempts at DWI's in the bud. The thought being that younger cops were more compatible with the clientele.

Quite a few years ago, one guy who interacted with some of the female clientele after the bar closed, misinterpreted the interaction thinking they were interested in continuing the conversation. He was rebuffed by them and was found several hours later climbing through the kitchen window over the sink of their rental cottage. The girls were understandably freaked out running to the closest cottage to alert them to the home invasion only to find the perp was the cop they'd spoken to earlier. He had followed them home and waited until it appeared they were asleep. Needless to say, he was fired for cause and charged and convicted of several crimes. It shakes the LE community when something like that happens.

On the issue of room doors with locks in group housing, that is probably the case in some, and probably not the case in others. Also a basic button lock might keep someone hunting for a bathroom from peeing in your closet, but can be opened quietly in one second with a business card, credit card -- or knife. Additionally if they have a buzz on and/or are tired, they may not have used a lock even if present
When I was in college, everyone had a deadbolt on their door, that you opened with a key. Even living with friends, I locked my door all of the time.

I don't understand, are you talking about the night of the murder this happened? Because if so, LE's website states they've cleared the driver.
Yes, I am not implying anything about the person who drove the girls home, other than he was male. Some of us had wondered if they had been driven home by a pledge, as can be common practice. Sober pledges are tasked with supplying rides in frats and sororities at many schools. For me, it was just more of the story of the evening. Bar, food truck, a guy drive them home.

For the life of me, I could not figure out how to fix a formatting mistake I made, so posting again but without the original quote to which I was attempting to reply. This is in reference to someone speculating that E&X might have provided the ride home from the food truck:

I have wondered this, as well (possibility of E&X being the private party ride) as sister might assume Uber if Kaylee normally Ubered and sister saw a car drive up near their house on a neighbor’s Ring camera minutes after video shows them leaving food truck. However, I would think sister would also take note of the car driving away if she assumed it was Uber, which I suppose could have happened with X&E but would put X&E back at home quite a bit later than specified by LE. Of course LE also put K&M there earlier than some believe, so who knows. They originally said all were home “after 1:45” which would still be accurate. Regardless, if Kaylee normally took Uber and instead texted for a personal ride from someone, it makes me wonder if K and/or M felt urgency to leave. Or could be Ubers were harder than usual to obtain on a big football weekend.

Last edited:
First time poster, not sure if this is allowed even though I’m not naming names.

Upon doing a quick street view on google maps to take a look around the King Rd neighbourhood, I was curious to check out the house on Walenta Dr that is directly behind the King Rd house. There’s many pictures of the backyard that offer up a clear look at the back of the house and side of 1122.

Upon doing a bit more research on sex offenders that have lived in the area, it’s interesting to note that one in particular lived on the Walenta Dr, at the very house behind 1122.
Great sleuthing!

IMO I can see something like this happening just from personal experience. In my experience, someone was unconscious, there were no adults present and the others were too scared to call 911. They called me, and I told them they had to call 911.

That being said, there wasn’t any blood or anything. This was someone drinking on medication they shouldn’t be, totally different scenario. But the idea of them calling friends before 911 didn’t seem plausible to me until you phrased it this way.
Totally agree. I also think we’re taking for granted that the roommates would have ever considered the possibility that their friend was on the floor because someone broke in while they were sleeping and stabbed them plus 3 of their roommates to death. Put yourself in these kids’ shoes, it would have been totally unfathomable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly