ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They can tell a lot about the knife at autopsy due to how it cut skin and how it precisely cut. They can get very specific!
Two things about that point. LE was out very early looking for that type of knife, apparently before the autopsies were done. And while the autopsy can tell what TYPE of knife, I doubt if they can tell whether or not it is a KA-BAR or a Cold Steel or a Ontario knife as all have identical designs.

First time poster here. I'm not sure if it's been said and I'm not jumping to any conclusions; but has anyone noticed that one of the survivors posted a picture on her VSCO showing a tattoo she got with the victims initials. Idk, I find that to be SUPER weird. Like your best friends got murdered in the same house you were sleeping in, they're not even buried and your first thought is to get a tattoo?

Again, not jumping to conclusions, I found it odd.
I agree!

Lots of people are speculating right now, but if you're really interested in trying to make a difference in this case at this point, I recommend going on your own and scouring the social medias for suspicious, short comments from anonymous users. If you find suspicious profiles, go to fbi.gov/moscowidaho and report the info with screenshots and links.

Or it was a completely random attack by a sick person looking to hurt someone or it was a million other things. It has to be one of two things? How do you figure?

ETA: I completely screwed up trying to quote something and now don't know how to add it or delete my post. jeeez i'm struggling apparently

Please read The Rules (linked in my signature), and continue discussion here.

Also, for anyone other than victims or an officially named POI/suspect, use initials or your post will be removed.

No sleuthing or insinuations/accusations against anyone who is not officially named a POI/suspect by LE.
RBBM
Bringing this forward. Let's keep the thread open!

Not necessarily. For example, not if the the unknown subject has mental illness. Yesterday Mr. Goncalves said that the intruder left a sloppy crime scene with evidence all over the place. That indicates a disorganized offender. Univ. of Idaho killer was ‘sloppy,’ left ‘mess’ of evidence, victim’s family says
Sloppy and messy would certainly be the case given what happened in the house. I don't think that necessarily says anything about the killer. Further, it is doubtful that family members would have specifics about the crime scene. That would be asking for a leak of details about the case, and not what LE would want.

I realize we've talked about the "blood" splatter on the outside of the house a number of times. My question is, if indeed it is blood splatter, why don't we see a smear taken from it for testing. I would assume if there was a possibility of being blood, it would have been sampled for testing. Or have we not seen an updated photo.

This is my question as well. It certainly looks like blood - color, coagulation - but doesn’t seem to be treated as such by investigators. Unless something has changed in the last couple of days, I haven’t seen any evidence markers near it, nor has there been any attempt to cover it (either for preservation or out of sensitivity to the families).

If this guy is local to that neighborhood, I would suspect he's a night walker, he'd probably be the type to walk past that house at night when the cops are not there. You'd think the cops are patrolling that area at night and would have come across somebody looking suspicious at this point. Possibly this person went home on school break?
If this guy is local to that neighborhood, I would suspect he's a night walker, he'd probably be the type to walk past that house at night when the cops are not there. You'd think the cops are patrolling that area at night and would have come across somebody looking suspicious at this point. Possibly this person went home on school break?
You have to imagine the neighborhood operates at all hours of the day. You have students studying/pulling all nighters, kids partying, and other students going in for early jobs. It would be very easy to act suspiciously and go unnoticed.

I do think it’s highly likely the person left town and it’s gone unnoticed due to the mass exodus of students.

Because this crime is so shocking, high profile and horrific, I am guessing that LE is following “the letter of the law” and completing tasks slowly and meticulously to ensure a conviction. So very many people are upset about this crime, therefore LE needs to take their time

I'm beginning to think LE is telling the truth and has no clue who the killer is.
This has been my gut feeling from very early on. I agree with many that LE are definitely going to withhold details from the public and even from the families in the interest of protecting the integrity of the investigation and hopefully catching the perp before they have a chance to react. However, the very limited and vague details they've been providing and, more importantly, the pace at which they've been sharing them is what is nagging at me. The students, their parents and the greater community have been whipped up into a frenzy of fear and anger; the national spotlight shining on this case and the LE; it all makes for an enormous amount of pressure on officials investigating this case. I think their behavior suggests one extreme or the other--they have their person and are making sure their case is iron clad or they really are stumped and are hoping for DNA evidence to come through for them. The longer things roll on along with the tone LE has been using has me worried that it's the latter.

Because this crime is so shocking, high profile and horrific, I am guessing that LE is following “the letter of the law” and completing tasks slowly and meticulously to ensure a conviction. So very many people are upset about this crime, therefore LE needs to take their time
Right! People are upset now. Imagine how upset people would be if they botched the conviction!!

I’ve seen a lot of discussion and theories around locked internal doors. Is there any detail on how the locks worked?
IME most doors can only be locked from the inside by the occupant. To lock it from the outside you’d need a key, and similarly one to get in.

If there were locks on the doors wouldn’t the occupants lock themselves in once they've turned in for the night? If that’s the case then it would suggest a break in directly to one of the bedrooms, and then that the other bedroom/s was/were unlocked.

I lived in a 6-bed house at uni and we all had the old fashioned turnlock and keys to secure our room, but that was 25 years ago….

Sorry if this has been covered.

In my view, a ridiculous amount of noise was made about the KABAR. People were going wild with speculation that the killer was some type of USMC vet while ignoring that you can buy the knife on Amazon for $90. There's really nothing special about it, it's just a well-made knife.
I don't think there's ever been a notorious unsolved case where people didn't speculate that the killer was affiliated with the military, based on nothing else than his ability to use a weapon. The Zodiac Killer comes directly to mind.

In my view, a ridiculous amount of noise was made about the KABAR. People were going wild with speculation that the killer was some type of USMC vet while ignoring that you can buy the knife on Amazon for $90. There's really nothing special about it, it's just a well-made knife.

And by the way, I also don't believe that they can somehow tell the maker of a knife from the wound profile. Fixed blade? Sure. But determining the difference between a KABAR or a Cold Steel? Color me full of doubt about that one.

The KABAR issue was interesting only from the perspective that they might have KNOWN it was probably that maker. As in, they might have had some testimony from someone saying "well I saw this suspect person carrying around a KABAR knife around".

MOO
Speaking to this, I am wondering if they have a knife print? If the SP laid the bloody knife down on a bed it would leave a print which could include the logo as Ka-Bar's logo is imprinted on their knives. Only speculation, but they seemed pretty certain of the Ka-bar early on in the case.

Is Ka-Bar kind of a generic knife term for knife enthusiasts? I have no idea. Kind of like saying Coke (the beverage) in the South - it's kind of all encompassing.
OMG no. Calling a White River, Bark River, ESEE, or any other higher quality makers "KABAR" is the sure way of getting shunned by the knife community. :)

It's odd isn't it?

I have no idea if either of them had an only fans. However, I was discussing this case with a coworker who is familiar with it. He is former LE in a large metropolitan city. He was of the mind that K did have one. I asked why he thought so.

His reasoning was:

1. She left school before her semester was finished, totally skipping any graded assignments and exams.
How does he know that K left school before her semester was finished, skipping assignments and exams? She may have completed her degree requirements after taking summer courses, thus making her eligible for December graduation. Or she may have completed her senior project earlier this fall and turned it in and already had it graded. This is very common for senior students. Many of them don't need to be on campus in the fall before they graduate, or possibly for just early fall to complete any outstanding assignments or projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay