Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.
IMO, a person has every right to lawyer up. Certainly a legal right. And yes, I know that there are even LE who would advise you to never talk to them without a lawyer.

Getting a lawyer is a way of putting yourself first, of protecting yourself. And again, you have a right to do that.

But having a missing child is a unique case, unlike any other. If you are innocent in the disappearance of your child, do you put yourself first? If you want to find your child, you are desperate, you want to give LE any possible information that would help find your child. You do not want to limit information in any way. You may think of someone or some situation, even months after your child has disappeared, that may help LE.
Your lawyer's job is to protect your rights, not to find your child. The lawyer will advise you to check with them before you tell LE anything, and the flow of information will be impaired.

I don't believe an innocent parent would hire an attorney while their child is still missing.

Lawyering up kind of sends a message that a person is more concerned with protecting himself/herself and his/her "rights" than he/she is about finding the missing child. It's different for IR to lawyer up, IMO. It's not his kid. MOO.

I don't know about embellishment but I DO think that was Vilt's description to get across to the listeners that both couples seemed to have seen what may have been the same car. When certain other statements made have come into question, sometimes the poster who questioned it has gone directly to the source for clarification. Just a thought.

BBM.

Sorry, could you explain what you mean here?

And then again, I live in Los Angeles and have cougars in my neighborhood!

We do too. We live on the Los Angeles /Ventura County border and we have cougars and coyotes in our back yard-literally.

I agree (obviously, since I also said in my post that is unlikely). However, I do wonder if IR could even confirm that NE came knocking on his door that morning or how many people were with NE. (I'm thinking 50/50 chance).

Does he always have a great grasp on what's happening at all times? I dunno! It wouldn't appear CERTAIN. IMO.

What condition was he in that evening at the campsite? Did he pitch a tent away from the camper/truck/suburban for a bit of privacy? When did he wake up? Were the parents and toddler already gone to town? Was he already gone fishing when they returned?

So yes, unlikely that he could not confirm the toddler was at the campsite. but not impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:giggle:

Good point. Even if he did tell LE that Deorr was never there, they might not believe him.

I agree.
IMO, a person has every right to lawyer up. Certainly a legal right. And yes, I know that there are even LE who would advise you to never talk to them without a lawyer.

Getting a lawyer is a way of putting yourself first, of protecting yourself. And again, you have a right to do that.

But having a missing child is a unique case, unlike any other. If you are innocent in the disappearance of your child, do you put yourself first? If you want to find your child, you are desperate, you want to give LE any possible information that would help find your child. You do not want to limit information in any way. You may think of someone or some situation, even months after your child has disappeared, that may help LE.
Your lawyer's job is to protect your rights, not to find your child. The lawyer will advise you to check with them before you tell LE anything, and the flow of information will be impaired.

I don't believe an innocent parent would hire an attorney while their child is still missing.

I agree 100%. DK and JM have never been called suspects and have not been charged with anything. Until either of those things happen (not saying they will, just being theoretical), their focus ought to be on finding their son. MOO

I don't think anybody in this group has the funds to hire attorneys.

My free advice would be 'don't talk and don't say a word to anybody but LE'.

Mark Klass has a neat little handy book on what to do when your child is missing. Read it.

This couple, from the beginning, has been damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I have no idea of their guilt or innocence but every time they say anything it creates bad publicity for them.

Time has gone by with no information on how the investigation is going. Folks are hungry for something.

They make themselves a target over and over again.

They can't win. My advice again. Say nothing. Let LE and FBI do their jobs and perhaps in the end we will find out what happened to that beautiful little boy in the too big cowboy boots.

MOO

We do too. We live on the Los Angeles /Ventura County border and we have cougars and coyotes in our back yard-literally.

Here in central cali. We have mountain lions too. Near the mountains. But still. I think the toddler would have been found by now. Either by clothing articles or caucus.

jmo

Unless they didn't trust LE and they thought LE weren't doing their job properly, or were trying to set them up.

First time posting (something about this case). First of all, I must say, I am 99% with the parents on this. Yes, 99%
One little thing that keeps coming back to me though is that, if you are trying to get your toddler down for a nap, why do you go back so quick to then potentially wake him to see some minnows. When my toddler goes down for a nap, no one better breathe loudly!
just a minor observation. Maybe I got it wrong. I'm still on the side that these parents lives are tragically altered and don't know where the son is. Thanks

Unless they didn't trust LE and they thought LE weren't doing their job properly, or were trying to set them up.

That's true - I guess I didn't really think of them being set up by LE, but I suppose that could be a valid reason to hire an attorney. I've seen episodes of Dateline where it seemed like the police zeroed in on a suspect (usually the spouse) to the point that they missed the real criminal. So, that's a valid point. Thank you.

Have we heard if the pajama bottoms were footies? The kind with a plastic sole.

What size were your child's boots when they kept falling off her feet? Were they her normal size? How much bigger than her normal size? What was the reason you bought them so big (if you did)?

Apparently the parents have stated that they went exploring for a good place to fish. DK said they found some cute minnows that he knew little Deorr would love and that's when they headed back to the campsite to get him. Not sure how much more detail you think they should have given.

Welcome to WS!

Her toes were about one inch from the end. That seems like a more accurate description than size difference. They were the closest to her normal size in the pattern she HAD to have. They were mud boots and I did not expect her to fall in love with and wear them as much as she did.

I guess i expected more specific detalis as in were they on a trail or bushwacking. How many spots did they decide were not safe for the baby. In all honesty I do not understand leaving a child behind if you are exploring a campsite, it IMO (and the opinion of my children) is all part of camping. One parent can stay a few feet back with the child(ren) while the other checks terrain if it seems sketchy. He is 2-year-old, it seems likely they are both accustomed to carrying him JMO. IIRC DS is not quoted as saying they were scouting fishing spots, that information was supplied by the PI.

Thanks for the welcome.

I totally understand the idea of not hiring a lawyer if you are innocent. But I wonder, just trying to put myself in the parents' position, if you are innocent and yet named a POI and not unnamed as the investigation goes on and the FBI becomes involved--re-interviewing you, digging into your past, as the FBI does--and many people in the public are basically accusing you of murdering your child------regardless of how innocent you are, you might feel more comfortable making sure your rights are being protected. In their position, I would totally get a lawyer even if I believed I had done nothing wrong.

ETA: responding to the conversation, not your exact post!

First time posting (something about this case). First of all, I must say, I am 99% with the parents on this. Yes, 99%
One little thing that keeps coming back to me though is that, if you are trying to get your toddler down for a nap, why do you go back so quick to then potentially wake him to see some minnows. When my toddler goes down for a nap, no one better breathe loudly!
just a minor observation. Maybe I got it wrong. I'm still on the side that these parents lives are tragically altered and don't know where the son is. Thanks

I don't believe they were trying to get little Deorr down for a nap. I believe they left him with GGPA so he could sit with him by the campfire and, presumably, settle down in preparation for a nap. That's how I understand it. IMO

Welcome to WS.

Her toes were about one inch from the end. That seems like a more accurate description than size difference. They were the closest to her normal size in the pattern she HAD to have. They were mud boots and I did not expect her to fall in love with and wear them as much as she did.

I guess i expected more specific detalis as in were they on a trail or bushwacking. How many spots did they decide were not safe for the baby. In all honesty I do not understand leaving a child behind if you are exploring a campsite, it IMO (and the opinion of my children) is all part of camping. One parent can stay a few feet back with the child(ren) while the other checks terrain if it seems sketchy. He is 2-year-old, it seems likely they are both accustomed to carrying him JMO. IIRC DS is not quoted as saying they were scouting fishing spots, that information was supplied by the PI.

Thanks for the welcome.

I totally agree with you about the skew of the information brought forth in the interview. I was like, "huh?" BTW, I am sure you fully know this, but you don't have to address arguments.

Thanks for the welcome.

Mud boots? Rubber mud boots?

I didn't think your question was what parents "can" do (in a similar situation) but was about your expecting these parents to have given a more lengthly and detailed description of what "they" did. Personally, I feel they gave as much of a description as necessary to explain the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of their son. I believe that was the purpose of the interview. As far as them having gone exploring in search of a good place to fish, although we didn't hear them say it during the interview I think it was likely a quote they had told Mr. Vilt when they discussed it with him in further detail. No doubt they told the same to LE. IMO

I believe a picture of the type of boots little Deorr was wearing has been shown on line. They were camouflaged toddler cowboy boots with a rounded toe and crepe-type sole. They were not Crocs, slide-ons, mud boots, rain boots, slippers, gym shoes, or ski boots. IMO

I totally agree with you about the skew of the information brought forth in the interview. I was like, "huh?" BTW, I am sure you fully know this, but you don't have to address arguments.

:tyou:

I believe a picture of the type of boots little Deorr was wearing has been shown on line. They were camouflaged toddler cowboy boots with a rounded toe and crepe-type sole. They were not Crocs, slide-ons, mud boots, rain boots, slippers, gym shoes, or ski boots. IMO

IMO< they were not cowboy boots. They were a hybrid of cowboy/mud boots. JMO :cow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth