ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would certainly hope so, but that brings us full circle and back to the fact that the PI gets paid by the client...

I agree, a PI firm has a vested interest in protecting their clients for job security and perhaps their own reputation. I mean would you want hire the firm that fingered their own client? A perspective client might wonder if it would happen to them.|

I have no idea if confidentiality and/or evidence agreements are signed in all cases, but in this day and age I would think it would be common.

I agree, a PI firm has a vested interest in protecting their clients for job security and perhaps their own reputation. I mean would you want hire the firm that fingered their own client? A perspective client might wonder if it would happen to them.|

I have no idea if confidentiality and/or evidence agreements are signed in all cases, but in this day and age I would think it would be common.
Imo, PI firm is hired to investigate an incident. If the investigation led back to the client doing something nefarious, it should give evidence to LE. Not doing so could be illegal (accessory?).
And I also think it would be good for business. If I needed to hire a PI, I'd definitely hire one that was able to find the truth-no matter what.

As far as THIS case though: That's a lot of dough to agree to if the family is involved. Jmo

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

Imo, PI firm is hired to investigate an incident. If the investigation led back to the client doing something nefarious, it should give evidence to LE. Not doing so could be illegal (accessory?).
And I also think it would be good for business. If I needed to hire a PI, I'd definitely hire one that was able to find the truth-no matter what.

As far as THIS case though: That's a lot of dough to agree to if the family is involved. Jmo

BBM is the part I was interested in researching to see what if any ramifications there would be legally...I don't have time to keep going this afternoon. I find it really interesting so hopefully I or someone can find some time to find out the legalities of turning over what they found.

Do we know if any of the four have lawyers? I remember one was thought to have a lawyer, but I don't remember if this was ever confirmed.

I believe donations were raised to fund the PI, although I wonder if they will be able to raise the full amount, last I understand they were able to raise a 1/4 & the firm would start. I don't know if anyone is guilty or innocent of anything, but $20,000 is a small price to pay if you can establish some kind of reasonable doubt or some-other-dude-did-it and of course if they could find and bring Deorr home would be priceless.

I think one benefit of hiring a PI is for PR purposes. For instance, in the Ramsey case, they hired Lou Smit, and he would do lots of interviews promoting the intruder theory, and it was always said how Lou had solved 200+ cases while Steve Thomas (the Boulder head detective had never solved one, how Lou had thought the parents did it but after praying with them, he changed his mind, etc. In this case, if the PI is able to give interviews saying how a kidnapper took Deorr, I consider that an attempt at positive PR. I remember when they had the other guy working for them, and how he would talk about the suspicious man staring at the store, the car, etc. I remember they were saying how we were going to get a sketch of this suspicious man, but we never did. I also do not remember anyone here seriously think this man was involved. I find it interesting that they sort of gave up on that whole theory (and even got rid of their original PI) when it didn't catch on with case followers. Regardless of guilt or innocence, you want the public to think you had nothing to do with your son's disappearance.

I think one benefit of hiring a PI is for PR purposes. For instance, in the Ramsey case, they hired Lou Smit, and he would do lots of interviews promoting the intruder theory, and it was always said how Lou had solved 200+ cases while Steve Thomas (the Boulder head detective had never solved one, how Lou had thought the parents did it but after praying with them, he changed his mind, etc. In this case, if the PI is able to give interviews saying how a kidnapper took Deorr, I consider that an attempt at positive PR. I remember when they had the other guy working for them, and how he would talk about the suspicious man staring at the store, the car, etc. I remember they were saying how we were going to get a sketch of this suspicious man, but we never did. I also do not remember anyone here seriously think this man was involved. I find it interesting that they sort of gave up on that whole theory (and even got rid of their original PI) when it didn't catch on with case followers. Regardless of guilt or innocence, you want the public to think you had nothing to do with your son's disappearance.

You really need to post a credible link when you state as fact that Lou Smit originally thought JonBenet's parents were guilty, but changed his mind after praying with them. Many, many people followed that case closely and remember the facts to this day.

In this case, a sketch of the man in the black truck WAS made and was circulated locally by LE, IMO. I don't think it's been published as to why they had a parting with the first PI.

http://www.cii2.org/code-of-ethics

The promises within A Code of Ethics are owed only to the party employing the services of the PI. They aren't actionionable to the rest of us including LE because we don't have a contractual relationship with the PI.

We still don't know exactly who hired the PI, or who signed the contract. One Msm article had a vague quote from Vernal saying he would do anything to find his son, but that was all. The parents don't seem to have had much to do with the fundraising for the PI or anything like that. I wonder if it might actually be extended family who have hired the PI. MOO.

This information is at more than one website online:

Q: Who must a Private Investigator divulge information to?
A: A private Investigator may not release information acquired during an investigation to anyone other than his or her client, unless otherwise instructed by the client. However if a judge issues a Private Investigator to release information through a court order, the rules of the court must be followed.

http://sttsecurity.com/before-your-...ons-with-a-stt-private-investigator-answered/

If, during the course of an investigation, a PI finds, in his/her possession, the only photograph or video recording or written confession (as examples) of his client committing the murder of his child, is the PI required, by law, to turn the information over to authorities, or is he protected by a privilege?

This statement by Klein Investigations and Consulting may have the unfortunate affect of misleading some in the public:

We want the public to know we are coming into the case cold with no preconceived ideas or notions. We will allow the evidence to take us where the evidence takes us.
Every word of what Klein says here is true but you have to ask yourself a practical question. What is the scope of their investigation? The client determines the scope; the scope influences what is discovered.

If you go to the "Idaho and Beyond" Facebook page, and scroll down a bit to Nov. 28, there is a beautiful picture of the Leadore area taken yesterday. There is snow, but all the ground is not covered.

He's an interesting character.

"Klein deals mostly in kidnappings, where one divorced parent snatches a child from the other. Klein finds them.

Philip Klein: I've caught over 90 people in the past however many years. And that's the first question I always ask 'em. "Why?"

Keith Morrison: Do they ever tell you?

Philip Klein: Yeah. They always tell me. Everybody always talks to me."

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/28844965/ns/dateline_nbc-newsmakers/t/beyond-sea/

I wonder if we will see a FindDeorr.com site soon...

"Klein begins to think that McDermott is alive... In hiding. He decides to set a hi-tech trap for him.

Philip Klein: We bought the name FindPatrickMcDermott.com. We need you to build a website. We put what we call a trap on the web site where we can tell each I- address that comes in to the web site. The rule of thumb is always this. When you're running you always are looking over your shoulder. And we're gonna catch him looking at us."

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/28844965/ns/dateline_nbc-newsmakers/t/beyond-sea/

Did you see this, though?

However, McDermott's ex-wife... disputes Klein's claim that McDermott is alive. In March 2012, she wrote to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, and asked him to stop promoting Klein's book, "Lost At Sea". Nipar said Klein is a "well-known serial liar (who) is simply looking to be famous at the expense of an unfortunate tragedy in our lives." Nipar said although Klein repeatedly promised he would prove McDermott was alive, he "never provided anything whatsoever" as proof of life. "My son has been through enough emotional torment over this," Nipar wrote. "He has yet to be able to move on due to Mr. Klein's continual effort to keep him in the public eye."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_McDermott

"In a nutshell, Mr Klein has promised us, the family, 'proof of life' for years now, yet has never provided anything whatsoever," she wrote to Mr Bezos.
She said the US Coast Guard had concluded Mr McDermott probably drowned and found no credible evidence to support Mr Klein's claims...

In 2009, Mr Klein triggered international headlines when he said he had ascertained "beyond reasonable doubt" that Mr McDermott was alive and living in Mexico. To date he has not provided any proof Mr McDermott is alive.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...ife-yvette-nipar/story-fn9412vp-1226352553687

Interesting statement on the website of a Boise ID private investigator "Our Promise: In a state where there is no licensing of private investigators, no background checks, no standard of ethics, no training and virtually no recourse for dissatisfied customers, the client should use extreme caution when selecting a private investigation agency. " http://www.drsinvestigations.com/about-us.html

Of course, Klein isn't from Idaho. I wonder about the laws applicable to Idaho. I see that in Texas, a PI would have to hand over documents under a subpoena:

" . . . .many states do not offer protection of investigative files or reports from a valid subpoena. In such states like Texas, Florida, Illinois and California, if we are served with a valid subpoena for records, your file will likely have to be turned over to the requesting party. This holds true for both civil and criminal subpoenas in most jurisdictions." https://asginvestigations.com/confidentiality/

Well I got up this morning hoping to take a few minutes and magically find something about any laws in Idaho regarding PI's and client confidentiality. I'd have to have take more time to come up with something. However, not exactly off-topic but interesting (and possibly even quite horrifying) is the CLERGY privilege law in Idaho!

http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/2014/06/27/11564479/

(Now, I'm not suggesting that anyone told their pastor or fellow church members anything about the disappearance of Deorr Kunz. . but . . . whoa . . . this law seems to cover more than just clergy, the way it was interpreted in the above case!)

Just commenting to bump up Deorr!

Well I got up this morning hoping to take a few minutes and magically find something about any laws in Idaho regarding PI's and client confidentiality. I'd have to have take more time to come up with something. However, not exactly off-topic but interesting (and possibly even quite horrifying) is the CLERGY privilege law in Idaho!

http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/2014/06/27/11564479/

(Now, I'm not suggesting that anyone told their pastor or fellow church members anything about the disappearance of Deorr Kunz. . but . . . whoa . . . this law seems to cover more than just clergy, the way it was interpreted in the above case!)

Just commenting to bump up Deorr!

UNbelievable.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members