ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a whole lot. City-data has all of IF listed as "average crime rate."
Low population.

Expanding on this and I was looking at the stats of Idaho compared to where I live (England) and it boggles my mind.

Idaho: 1.6 million people and 83,000 sq miles of land.

England (whole country!) 53 million people and 50,000 sq miles of land.

This video makes me giggle. Big ole cat is chased up a tree by a little coyote. Clearly her den was nearby. What I would give to witness this! On any given day there are more than 5,000 people camping in Yosemite (can be more than 8,000). Yes, that's daily. The area is home to some very habituated animals sadly but we don't hear about then dragging children off, and these critters in that park are not scared of people like the ones in mid rural areas.
Camping is not for everyone and that is OK. But i do think that those that don't camp or have never campers in an area like this may have a bit of a TV version of what it's like. I average 3 weeks a year camping, but sometimes closer to 5. While I have gotten to see lots of wildlife, some right next to my tent (yeah, it is exciting to wake up and find bear tracks all the way around your tent) I have also come to learn that I am not what they want for dinner, nor are the kids. Seeing large predators also does not happen on a regular basis, especially out in the more rural areas like where he went missing. Bison have big the biggest concern we have ever run into cuz they are not something you want to startle and it is very easy to walk around a corner or through the trees and have them be right there. I worry way more about then than American bears, wolves, cougars or grizzlies.
Because of both the amount of time I spend in the wilderness (in primitive camps, park campgrounds and backpacking) and on the SAR side, I have spent a whole lot of time educating myself, taking classes and talking to wildlife biologists to know as much as possible in order to keep myself, my family and my searchers safe.
By the same token, while I feel very comfortable with my knowledge of Western States animals, I would not go out on the East coast without consulting someone as I know their bears there are much different than ours. Same goes for Alaska.
I still highly doubt that an animal took him from camp while the family was right there. But, I would also hope that they would have checked for tracks just to help rule it out. They found the den which is not easy to do. I am guessing that at least one in the pack is collared and that is how. If that is the case then they can also tell where it/they have been. Searchers should have been looking for signs as they were going to avoid destroying any tracks of any sort, people or animal.

Thank you so much for this post, specially coming from an expert.

Perhaps to minimize speculation if the person had a nefarious past?

Why would they want to do that? They haven't named him/her nor have they said he/she is not a suspect. I can understand LE not giving the name out, but I find it hard to believe someone from the town hasn't said who it was. In an article's comments, someone said she was from Leadore and gave the name of the ggf's friend, but she could have been/probably is a crack pot. JMO

Expanding on this and I was looking at the stats of Idaho compared to where I live (England) and it boggles my mind.

Idaho: 1.6 million people and 83,000 sq miles of land.

England (whole country!) 53 million people and 50,000 sq miles of land.

lol At the present time, I live in a tiny Caribbean island with a lower population than Idaho. ;)

If that is their intent it's clearly not working. IMO the friend's name isn't being released because the person has asked for privacy and since it hasn't been released all the posts on FB providing the person's name are simply more rumours.

Since when does a witness' request for privacy trump the search for a 2 year-old child?* Presumably, s/he was one of the last people to see Deorr before he disappeared, and would therefore have important information. I smell a rat.

ETA: *If the witness is not in danger.

Most towns never have a child going missing like this, so I don't think most are truly ready to handle it, through absolutely no fault of their own.

I understand that and I am not blaming them for not having the experience. Regardless of experience and expertise, with such little available manpower, they probably have way less people working on it than a larger LE office would.

I feel the same way and as I mentioned in one of the previous threads: No one wants their name attached to a missing child's case because the Media will scrutinize every single piece of information they have about you. I know because I am a former journalist. If any person involved in this case: Parents, family members at the campsite, friend, witnesses, etc have any prior convictions or a criminal record of any kind, I could see why they wouldn't want their name to be made public. We need to keep in mind also that just because someone might have a criminal history of any kind does not mean they are involved in this disappearance, it could well be a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time (IF we are talking about criminal case which LE insist does not seem to be the case). I have my own theories but I cannot put my hand on the fire for ANY of them.

Personally, I believe that we will hear from LE very soon with a breakthrough. Call it a "gut".

Yes, I am wondering how long LE is going to let this roll on...

Since when does a witness' request for privacy trump the search for a 2 year-old child?* Presumably, s/he was one of the last people to see Deorr before he disappeared, and would therefore have important information. I smell a rat.

ETA: *If the witness is not in danger.

How does the public not knowing the friend's identity interfere with the search? LE knows who the person is and whether or not he or she has important information. I don't understand how not releasing the name is in opposition to finding Deorr.

Darn it! That is such a misleading headline - I assumed it was the one who was actually at the campsite! :banghead:

A lot of people have made that mistake. Don't be too hard on yourself. :)

Re the friend: personally, I do not feel that the desire to know the name is anywhere near as great as the desire to know the reason for its being so steadfastly withheld. MOO

Their business is to know what interests the public. You may think that reporting this guy's name would certainly draw people's interest. They don't. And I'm going to with them as the experts on what the public at large cares about.

It seems to be that by not mentioning the person in the course of the initial reports, it's become a bigger deal than if they had just included him/her with the other people at the campsite. I don't know if I would have given them a second thought if I read "Mitchell's grandfather Bob Roberts and his friend John Johnson joined the young family on the camping trip. Roberts thought Deorr was with his parents, while the parents thought their son was with his great grandfather. Johnson was fishing half a mile away when the toddler dissapeared." or something like that.

Nah. On second thought, by this time, with Deorr still missing, I would have definitely checked to see if he had a violent criminal record.

Someone on the Help Find Deorr fb page with initials CB writes in the comments under the top post (pinned post) that she thinks she saw Deorr in a grocery store in Weber City, VA. As far as I understand it the video surveillance tape has been sent to the sheriff in Lemhi, to the family, and also to one news outlet, KTZB.

(As usual, there is some arguing going on, which I won't repeat here since it's not really relevant.)

I hope she is right, although I know that most sightings usually turn out to be wrong in mp cases.

How does the public not knowing the friend's identity interfere with the search? LE knows who the person is and whether or not he or she has important information. I don't understand how not releasing the name is in opposition to finding Deorr.

For example, if the person does not have a good reputation, is mentally ill, or has a criminal record, or something like that. In such a case people could jump to conclusions (as many like to do) and stop looking for Deorr because they think they already know what happened. They don't keep an open mind. moo

I am not so sure GGP would be able to remember due to his health conditions, MOO

Please provide a link from MSM for this statement. TIA

[video=youtube;yIA0NvCxrRE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIA0NvCxrRE[/video]

Please, check from 6:34

"We also know that grandpa, he is a little older, he has some health issues".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper