ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But isn't he wearing blue pajama pants?

Yes, but I'm thinking that with a camo jacket and over-sized camo cowboy boots there won't be much blue showing. Another question for SAR experts; If the borrowed the boots DeOrr was wearing (just thinking that might be why they didn't fit) would that confuse the dogs? If they used his blanket for the identifying scent, but the only ground contact was from either brand new or borrowed boots, would they pick up the trail? If he walked the very short distance to the creek and lost his footing and fell in wouldn't the dogs lose the scent in the water?

Drone Finds Missing Elderly Man in 20 Minutes http://news.discovery.com/tech/robotics/drone-finds-missing-elderly-man-in-20-minutes-140724.htm

TES case presented to FAA to continue drone use to find missing:

The team uses a remote controlled Spectra flying wing plane with a camera that can photograph “a square mile in less than 10 minutes,” according to the letter. The letter doesn’t mention the unmanned plane spotting any living missing persons, though it has “directly pinpointed the location of remains of 11 deceased missing people,” such as a 2-year-old who went missing in April 2012.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...people-and-dead-bodies-want-freedom-from-faa/

MA state police have had a flying wing for a while. Its most publicized success was tracking down a bank robber who had abandoned his car and fled into the woods. Or at least that's the one I'm the most aware of :D

How would Deorr get to those areas then? Is it easier for him because he is a 2-year-old? Or could only an animal take him to those areas?

Fell between boulders or from an overhanging rock, maybe that sort of thing?

Personally, I do not think they are using the drones to locate DeOrr.

This is what it sounded like to me too. But I have been wondering what else they could be used for in this kind of situation, and I can't come up with anything.

Twin Falls County deputies are headed to Lemhi County to help in the search for our little Deorr.

" Newman and Benefiel will be piloting the drones, Benson has a good knowledge of the search area, and Lt. Brown’s has vast experience leading search and rescue efforts."

(pictures included)

https://www.facebook.com/twinfallssheriff

Great pics there. Wow, seeing that wilderness makes me feel so overwhelmed. One tiny little boy in that vast area. :(

I don't think the seach for Deorr is similiar to every other missing person search because in this case, how big of an area could a 2-year-old possibly get to? This is not a case of someone being abducted and they could be anywhere in the state/country. It's wilderness, but the radius is not that big.

This is what it sounded like to me too. But I have been wondering what else they could be used for in this kind of situation, and I can't come up with anything.

I was wondering this too & in a quick search came up with this; regarding drones:

Most of the missions are performed for the Coast Guard, the Drug Enforcement Administration and immigration authorities. But they also aid in disaster relief and in the search for marijuana crops, methamphetamine labs and missing persons, among other missions not directly related to border protection.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...987af0-7d49-11e3-9556-4a4bf7bcbd84_story.html

http://q13fox.com/2015/07/13/search...2-called-off-parents-believe-he-was-abducted/

So, the search has been called off.. and the LE is satisfied he isn't there and are treating this as an abduction? The parents WANT to believe it is an abduction or do they suspect he was abducted due to other things they may know? Who knew they were going to be there camping? That is the question i would want answered.

That article was from July 13. It was published when the volunteer search was ended and the Sheriff said that the search would be handled by professionals only. The intense search continued for 10 days. Here is a timeline with more recent information. http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/07/deorr-kunz-disappearance-a-timeline-of-events/

I don't think the seach for Deorr is similiar to every other missing person search because in this case, how big of an area could a 2-year-old possibly get to? This is not a case of someone being abducted and they could be anywhere in the state/country. It's wilderness, but the radius is not that big.

Thats true. I think they need to keep going over the same areas. But I learned from the Emmett Trapp case that they can get farther, faster than one would think. He was found outside the perimeter of the search area, an area that was determined based on the assumption that there was no way a two year old could get farther than that perimeter. But he did.

The radius probably wouldn't be huge, but I have to consider how far he could have walked in the initial 4-60 minutes, and then how far he could have continued walking for the next 2,3,4,5 days if he was alive. I don't see a toddler just hunkering down and waiting it out.

Not being argumentative at all, I'm just trying to find every possible answer for why they haven't found a trace. Every other thought and question I've had revolves around off-limits stuff.

Hello all, I'm a longtime WS reader who recently joined on and this is my first post. I've been following DeOrr's case and have read all the relevant threads. Like all of you, I'm hoping for a miracle.
That said, I found the following link that demonstrates such amazing things can happen in missing children cases. I also thought it was a useful example of how drones are being employed in these situations. Modern technology may be the answer to this familys' prayers.http://www.rt.com/news/179248-siberia-girl-drones-rescue/

Welcome persimmon & thank you for joining & sharing a wonderful-uplifting lst post! :balloons:

Persimmon. Brought tears to my eyes. I can only hope and pray that this has a similar outcome.

It would be really interesting to know if 2 vehicles were involved. I read in a few places the trip being referred to as a "fishing trip" so fishing must've been involved or at least a plan. If 2 vehicles were used it's possible that the GGF and his friend arrived early in the morning, maybe to get some good fishing in, and little Deorr and his parents arrived later in the morning. Maybe GGF came back to the campsite to meet up with the family and the friend didn't, meaning the friend never even saw Deorr when they arrived. I haven't read anything that states that the friend was at the camp site when Deorr went missing. If the friend was gone fishing into the early afternoon, maybe he never even saw Deorr at all. Maybe even the GGF never saw little Deorr and parents initially arrive, but saw them later after they came back from the trip to the store. If only 1 vehicle is involved, there are not as many possibilities.

Welcome Persimmon! Thanks for joining the discussion and sharing that article.

I have asked repeatedly about one car vs two and have not gotten a clear picture. Can someone answer this for us?

I have asked repeatedly about one car vs two and have not gotten a clear picture. Can someone answer this for us?

I'm not ignoring, just don't know, either. Good question, though!

So people WERE in the area. maybe not heard or seen but someone was "reinterviewed"!

I am glad you brought that up and found that article. I was surprised to hear others were reinterviewed. I thought it was just the five of them in that area. Now I wonder how many were there???

Hey honeybun, Do you remember where that was published? I don't remember seeing that statement.

I just spent the last half hour rereading all those newspaper articles. No I can't find it. I know it was just a sentence at the end of a paragraph.

It was Triana Bates Clegg that gave that information. GGP's favorite camp ground.

I will continue looking for it and will bring it over if I find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlitedragon