ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The EMT bag reminds me of a place one might stash things besides actual medical supplies. ;)

I don't know what to make of the store visit yet providing it did happen. The problem with the time is quite curious. There should not be a 5 hour discrepancy.

One thing a person may drive a long way to get for camping would be a cigarette lighter (maybe the one they had ran out of fuel so was a bit of a surprise?).

~Perhaps a reason "other than" getting/needing supplies? Just trying to think "outside the box" here....meet up with/connect with somebody? No idea....just wondering.

The EMT bag reminds me of a place one might stash things besides actual medical supplies. ;)

I don't know what to make of the store visit yet providing it did happen. The problem with the time is quite curious. There should not be a 5 hour discrepancy.

One thing a person may drive a long way to get for camping would be a cigarette lighter (maybe the one they had ran out of fuel so was a bit of a surprise?).

Good point! That would be something you'd have to go back for. No way they could have camped without lighting a fire.

One in 600,000 or so is the risk of stranger abduction. https://www.ncjrs.gov/html/ojjdp/nismart/03/ns5.html

Thank you very much!

I don't see the 1/600,000 number. The study said approximately 115 children were the victims of "stereotypical kidnapping" (between 60 and 170) in the study year (1997 or 1999 - it's a little confusing.) The number of non-family abductions (58,200) included any crimes against children in which there was even modest forced movement or detention. Half of those cases were not reported to police, so the definition of non-family abduction is pretty broad compared to the earlier study. "Most children's non-family abduction episodes do not involve elements of the extremely alarming kind of crime that parents and reporters have in mind (such as a child's being killed, abducted overnight, taken long distances, held for ransom or with the intent to keep the child) when they think about a kidnapping by a stranger." I'm assuming that these types of crimes are what is considered a "stereotypical abduction".

It also says that teenage girls are the most frequent targets of non-family abductions and stereotypical kidnappings. In that case, to make the statistic meaningful, we should probably ask ourselves what are the chances of a two year-old being abducted by a stranger, since the overall statistic would be skewed by the greater frequency of teenage girls in stereotypical abductions. It would be interesting to know how many of those 115 abductions were toddler boys. Suffice it to say, if the frequency of stranger abduction (which I now see is different from "stereotypical abduction" which is what DeOrr's parents believe happened to him) is 1 in 600,000, it must be even lower for a 2 year-old boy.

You know what they say about statistics? 78% of them are pulled out of someone's *hat*... :)

that's exactly why i think it is very strange that the mom and dad totally brushed off this sighting and claimed it was them (6 or more hours earlier than the reported sighting), especially since they seemed very confident in the interview that little deorr may have been abducted.

does not compute
lifesize-lost-in-space-b-9-robot-2.jpg

I'm sure it won't be long before someone can provide a link with evidence that mountain lions, eagles, and/or wolves consume cowboy boots regularly, and prefer them to be camo cowboy boots because the flavor is better.

Lol, well this quote doesn't show that, but it does show that wearing (traditional) camo can increase your chances of being mountain lion prey. Because it make you look less like a human and more like a deer. All the more reason to wear bright colors in wilderness areas! I found this link informative and interesting: http://www.mountainlion.org/portalprotectstaysafe.asp

"Lions do not see the same way we do. They look for the shape and movement of their natural prey. Deer are the lion's favorite meal, and so it's important for people to look as human as possible. Wearing brightly contrasting clothing can help a lion distinguish you from its natural prey. Although lions do not see colors as we do, dark, midtone or drab woodsy colors will make you look more like a deer."

Wth..... what does this even mean... brain fart?????? I find that very weird u would say this

I know. I'm sorry. Sigh. Okay. That area is predominately one religion historically. And that religion holds beliefs about smoking. So when you grow up in that culture, there's an implied belief that you can identify a fellow religious member by the presence or lack of presence of something, in this case a cigarette. And there are implied beliefs about the significance or lack thereof of that.

There, clear as mud. It's against TOS to invite PM's but I don't want to get off topic or start or fuel anything untoward, either.

~Perhaps a reason "other than" getting/needing supplies? Just trying to think "outside the box" here....meet up with/connect with somebody? No idea....just wondering.
Possibility. Also with this guy being a truck driver, distance to anywhere within a couple of hours is probably considered a short trip. Here we do tend to think outside the box especially when we cannot discuss the box.

Today I keep thinking of why they would drive to the campsite and then turn around and drive two hours back and forth to the store. Whatever would they need so badly to make that long trip on that bad road.

They knew they were going camping so I would think they would be prepared.

Also I keep wondering if they had a trailer or a tent. Trailer camping seems to come equiped with everything one would need. That plus a cooler full of ice and cold things.

What would do you think would take them on that long distance drive to the store right after passing how many stores on the drive to the campsite???

Cigarettes..they would surely have a supply.
Lady things...women know how to make due.
Food stuffs...they knew they were camping.
Camping stuff...again they knew they were camping.
Gas...they had to have plenty to make that two hour trip.

Why did they leave just after arriving?

Well, we just returned from an 8-day tent camping trip with our 7-yr old grandson. I am super organized and make lists for my lists :). I always take everything and anything we might need no matter where we travel. HOWEVER, we found OURSELVES driving to the nearest down shortly after we began setting up camp. I had asked my husband OVER and OVER again if we had enough tarps and ropes so we could make shelters over the picnic table and one over our cooking area, plus one for under the tent and one inside the tent. Hmmm, turns out that was not the case and we were short two tarps and several ropes, plus we needed worms for fishing. Oh, and we all went to town. I just don't find it at ALL unusual to find you need something, especially when you're camping with five people, ages 2-70.

I agree completely. And to top it off, the clerk has been approached by media and said she was instructed by LE not to discuss it. Clearly it is sensitive information.

The store clerk was told by LE not to discuss it? I didn't see that. Do you have a link?

Today I keep thinking of why they would drive to the campsite and then turn around and drive two hours back and forth to the store. Whatever would they need so badly to make that long trip on that bad road.

They knew they were going camping so I would think they would be prepared.

Also I keep wondering if they had a trailer or a tent. Trailer camping seems to come equiped with everything one would need. That plus a cooler full of ice and cold things.

What would do you think would take them on that long distance drive to the store right after passing how many stores on the drive to the campsite???

Cigarettes..they would surely have a supply.
Lady things...women know how to make due.
Food stuffs...they knew they were camping.
Camping stuff...again they knew they were camping.
Gas...they had to have plenty to make that two hour trip.

Why did they leave just after arriving?

The whole trip to the store thing is driving me crazy too. I have a feeling that there was no trip to the store. It just doesn't make sense.

Yeah. Sounds like JM thought the store clerk's siting was a rumor, but DK confirmed it, but disagreed on the time. Odd. I wouldn't even think of a false sighting as a rumor, but as people trying/hoping to see something that would help find baby DeOrr. JMO.
Good point. So what was the rumor surrounding the store? Was it just that some man was seen buying candy for little Deorr who was filthy and bawling? Yeah this doesn't make sense. In this sense it would be considered a possible sighting not a rumor. A rumor would be something like someone saw Deorr Sr with little Deorr at the store at 6 pm. So were people accusing him of hiding his son and then picking him up and getting candy to pacify him during a hand off to someone else? I don't understand it in the context of a rumor.

Same thing with the rumor about his work. What is the relevance there? That's odd.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I'm sure it won't be long before someone can provide a link with evidence that mountain lions, eagles, and/or wolves consume cowboy boots regularly, and prefer them to be camo cowboy boots because the flavor is better.

7 out of 10 Professional Mountain Lions prefer Camo brand Boots...lol (sorry, this ^^^ quote cracked me up...):hiding:I'll go back to lurking now.

If they are anything like me then a trip to the store for things I've forgotten is a guarantee. I can make a list and still forget something I need. Every single time I go away I forget something. Even with kids, especially with kids, I end up having to buy something I've forgotten.

I just don't see how dad and an crying DeOrr can be at the store at 6pm, because that would mean dad had to hide DeOrr while he was walking with mom, when GGP and the friend both confirmed DeOrr was initially with them while mom and dad walked, then the sheriff and deputies didn't notice the missing toddler stashed away anywhere after they arrived, and they were phoned sometime between 2-3pm. I'm pretty sure vehicles etc would be checked straight away. Secondly if dad managed to stash DeOrr away from everyone (including mom) he's also managed to do that for the whole time everyone was searching. Would a two year old really hide for hours when he can hear mom/dad/ggp etc shouting for him. Even if he was asleep he's not going to sleep the whole time. Then dad manages to find a window of time where he is able to firstly drive to the store. Then get seen buying candy (although the only description is a man and a filthy bawling child). Then go and disappear DeOrr who was alive at the campsite (he must have been if that child seen bawling was DeOrr) and alive at the store. Then drive back to the campsite. Meanwhile no-one, not mom, not GGP, not the friend, not the sheriff or any of his deputies noticed Dad (and his truck) missing for what had to be a couple of hours in total around 5-7pm? No-one in this fairly empty campsite notices dad return in his truck?

I don't get how that scene can work out. How would dad manage to engineer all that and not one person notice?

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with the "trip to the store"? When my husband and I take a road trip to a place we've never visited, the first thing we do after we reach our destination and settle in, is take off in the car to "explore" and get our bearings. Usually we'll look for a small store or pub to stop in and talk with the locals. More often than not, we have forgotten something, so we'll pick up that item if it's available. I didn't think we were unusual in that respect, but perhaps I was wrong.

Actually, because of the mountain lion's efficient premolars, they can and do easily eat through hide and bones, which would then, of course, be found in their stomach upon necropsy. They are not prone to selectively remove a victim's clothing before consuming them.

I'm gonna dream with mountain lions for sure. Thanks Websleuthers. :snooty:

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with the "trip to the store"? When my husband and I take a road trip to a place we've never visited, the first thing we do after we reach our destination and settle in, is take off in the car to "explore" and get our bearings. Usually we'll look for a small store or pub to stop in and talk with the locals. More often than not, we have forgotten something, so we'll pick up that item if it's available. I didn't think we were unusual in that respect, but perhaps I was wrong.

No, me too. It's a given I'll end up at a store just after I've arrived somewhere. Usually for the things I've forgotten.

This article seems to have a new detail I haven't heard before:

"Lemhi County Sheriff Lynn Bowerman did confirm to EastIdahoNews.com that Reinwand was at the campsite alongside DeOrr's parents, when the boy went missing."

http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/loca...-search-deorr-kuna-persons-interest/30799181/

So, was Isaac with the Great Grandpa when DeOrr went missing, or was he "alongside the parents?" Up until then, I thought the parents had gone off on their own. So confusing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli