ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke with the PI about an hour ago. I think this may be a pro bono case for him. I made the remark I couldn't understand why LE wouldn't consider it being an abduction, "His reply was, I don't know either, that's why I stepped in to help them." I offered to help in anyway that I could and sent the published article to him about tracking my daughter. I also sent him the Missing Posters I had made. Nice guy...I think this is pro-bono work for him. He said he would be talking with the family tonight. We'll see. He also stated there was absolutely no reason NOT to network. So anybody got the number of the 18 Wheel Angels?

BTW: I had read somewhere...or seen somewhere very early into the investigation, that they indeed arrived late on Thursday night. It might have been from one of the grandmothers or a news guy. I'm not sure where.

Well done!!!!

I called the P.I. He is not a current LEO but is working with them. He said LE was aware of the RSOs and had checked them out and doesn't consider them suspects. He said he did, though. He said he personally cleared the parents. He suspects abduction.
Eta
oops i just saw the answer to my question upthread . Apologies.
Do we know who hired the P l? Tia

I think they may have bought the French fries at the store, not the bar. In the info about the store from Zillow, it mentions and shows pictures of a deli. (the store was listed as "for sale" about a week or so go but now says it's not on the market)
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/100-S-Railroad-St-Leadore-ID-83464/2110162487_zpid/

Seems like they could serve french fries there. They have pizza. :)
http://photos2.zillowstatic.com/p_f/ISdgdt44ocpdmm1000000000.jpg
1Mj5bU5

I could read that either way...not clear to me.

If they went to the store on Friday morning and it was the morning after they arrived, they would have arrived on Thursday. Otherwise, it should say they went to the store the morning they arrived. JMO

Yes, coincidentally two people in a town of a hundred live or work near other things. It's a small town, isn't everything near everything else?

I do appreciate the clarification. Thank you.

Sent from my LG-D321 using Tapatalk

I think it's more interesting that one RSO works about 250 feet from the location where a child matching DeOrr's description was spotted. She also agreed to be interviewed on MSM about the case and has very strong feelings about the number of people searching and whether DeOrr is still on the mountain. The other RSO is apparently renting a cabin from the Ranger Station, providing the Ranger Station as his street address even though we and the rest of the public have no way of knowing where he is actually living, which defeats the point of the registry IMO. I'm cutting the RSOs as much slack as they cut their victims. They haven't knocked out my #1 theory, but they may have edged out the mountain lion attack, previously #2 in my book.

I am so confused. Starting around 7:45, this is the conversation:

PI: As an example, we're trying to find a lead at the Stage Stop. Uh, when they went into town, uh, the morning after they arrived to pick a few groceries up, they bought some french fries for Deorr Jr. and there was a man who was staring at this little boy. And this made Jessica feel kind of eerie that this old man was staring at the boy. That's unusual. But we haven't found who this person is yet.

NE: And this was up in Lemhi?
PI: Yes up in Lemhi.
NE: They stopped for french fries
PI: Yes
NE: And there was an old man staring at their child
PI: Just staring at their child

So, now they were at the Stage Stop the morning after they arrived and were buying french fries and not candy? This contradicts everything we've been told: their date of arrival at the campground, the timing of their trip to the store, and also what they bought for Deorr (french fries instead of candy). The other thing that is very strange is that they keep saying Lemhi, when I think they mean Leadore. There is a town called Lemhi but the Stage Stop is in Leadore. Lemhi is up the road about 18 miles from Leadore. They keep saying, "up in Lemhi" so maybe they did go to Lemhi? From the campground, I would say they went "down" to Leadore, not up. I am so confused and I really don't understand why the timeline is totally different from what has been released from day 1.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I am referring to the conversation/interview between Nate Easton and the private investigator that was released today: http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/08/kunz-family-investigator-everything-points-to-an-abduction/

I don't think the Friday arrival date was ever confirmed. I think lot of people assumed Friday because that is when Deorr went missing. Personally I believe they arrived Thursday late evening based on "rumor" from a close family member on SM, and what the PI said.

Regarding the French fries, I don't think that saying they bought those necessarily means that is all they bought.

Regarding "up in Lemhi". East Idaho News is located in Idaho Falls in Bonneville County and it appears that is where the interview took place. Leadore is northwest of there in Lemhi County, so "up in Lemhi" makes sense.

PI: As an example, we're trying to find a lead at the Stage Stop. Uh, when they went into town, uh, the morning after they arrived to pick a few groceries up they bought some french fries for Deorr Jr. and there was a man who was staring at this little boy. And this made Jessica feel kind of eerie that this old man was staring at the boy. That's unusual. But we haven't found who this person is yet.

So, now they were at the Stage Stop the morning after they arrived and were buying french fries and not candy? This contradicts everything we've been told: their date of arrival at the campground, the timing of their trip to the store, and also what they bought for Deorr (french fries instead of candy). The other thing that is very strange is that they keep saying Lemhi, when I think they mean Leadore. There is town called Lemhi but the Stage Stop is in Leadore. Lemhi is up the road about 18 miles from Leadore. They keep saying, "up in Lemhi" so maybe they did go to Lemhi? From the campground, I would say they went "down" to Leadore, not up. I am so confused and I really don't understand why the timeline is totally different from what has been released from day 1.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I am referring to the conversation/interview between Nate Easton and the private investigator that was released today: http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/08/kunz-family-investigator-everything-points-to-an-abduction/

Maybe the candy bar was with the groceries. I doubt Deorr would eat both at the same time.

Leadore is in Lemhi County. So when they say up in Lemhi, that includes Leadore.

I don't recall any articles or interviews that stated their time of arrival at the campsite. Their one interview was definitely lacking in pertinent questions ie: the EMT bag, sleeping arrangements, vehicles, GGF's name and on and on. Which has lead to endless speculation that their story has changed. Well, no it hasn't. We just haven't heard their story.

I don't recall a timeline from Day 1. Perhaps you could link one for me. The parents said they arrived at the campground on Friday afternoon following a stop at the store.

I'm posting the Timeline that I've put together and added the latest updates. Please NOTE - all times are approximate (~), only REAL time is the 911 call by JM.

Timeline for DeOrr Kunz, Jr. disappearance:

Friday, July 10, 2015:
DeOrr Kunz Jr, his father (DeOrr Kunz Sr.), mother (Jessica Mitchell), great-grandfather, and a family friend (IR – won’t post his full name) travel 120 miles from Idaho Falls to Timber Creek Campground in Leadore.

The campsite is remote and takes around two and a half hours to drive to from Idaho Falls. Say they arrive at about 11am – need to get a few more supplies; family leaves about (NOTE: these are “approximate” times – not set in stone! That’s why there is a “~” before each time, except 911 call.)

~11:00am – Arrive at campgound Friday (msm)
~11:30am – leave for store – per Google maps it’s a 40 minutes drive (one way) on a gravel road – 8 miles away (TV Interview: Went down to the store (Stage Stop) as a family earlier in the day (DK)) (Per WS member fishing_idaho: I live in the area and worked up that drainage many times. You’re absolutely correct about the time it takes to drive on that road. It is very rough but if you have a truck that you don’t mind abusing a little (and good tires) you can make it up there in 20 to 25 minutes or possibly even quicker if you really pushed it. It's a bad road, but for anyone who has experience driving rocky dirt roads, it's not that bad. If you're good at avoiding the rock clusters you can maintain a pretty good pace driving up there and not even abuse your truck that much. The website estimates for travel time are way off. At http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Timber-Creek-Campground-10-July-2015-4/page8 posts #747 & 741) Update August 11, 2015: IDAHO FALLS – The family of missing Idaho Falls toddler DeOrr Kunz Jr. is working with a private investigator to help find their son. Frank Vilt, a retired U.S. Marshal with years of law enforcement experience, said he’s been conducting his own investigation into DeOrr’s disappearance and he believes the two-year-old was kidnapped. “When [the family] went into town the morning after they arrived, they picked a few groceries up and bought some French fries for DeOrr Jr.,” Vilt said. “There was a man who was staring at DeOrr and this made Jessica feel kind of eerie. I’m looking into it.” Vilt says he has interviewed people registered on the sex offender list who live in Lemhi County and, according to him, all of them were cleared. (source: http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/08/kunz-family-investigator-everything-points-to-an-abduction/)
~12:00 - ~12:10pm – arrive at store – stay approximately 5 to 10 minutes
~12:20pm – leave store – back to campgrounds; (per JM’s mother, JM texts her at 12:38pm as they are leaving the store.)
~1:00pm - ~1:10pm – arrive at campgrounds / start setting up tents, etc. (TV Interview: Haven't left the campsite since 1 pm (DK))
~2:00pm – time for Doer’s nap – placed with G-GP by the campfire; parents go exploring (TV Interview: Went off to explore - close to 2 pm (DK))
~2:10pm – parents back – DeOrr missing… (Source: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...unz-Jr-2-Timber-Creek-Campground-10-July-2015 post# 637) (TV Interview: Went 50 yards and 10 minutes from time last seen til realized missing (DK) and Gone for 10 minutes (JM))
~2:10pm to 2:27pm – search for DeOrr. (TV Interview: searched about 20 minutes before calling 911 (DK))
2:28 pm {Time-Stamped} - DeOrr’s mother, Jessica Mitchell, calls 911 and reports her son missing. Father goes ½ mile down road to get cell service, and calls 911, but mother has already reported in missing. (source: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...unz-Jr-2-Timber-Creek-Campground-10-July-2015 post# 624 and see post# 1144 of “who” was camping) (TV Interview: 2:28 911 call - said he's been missing an hour (JM) and Hauled down the road to get better cell reception (DK))
~4:00pm – (approx. time) - Search crews arrive and begin to look for the toddler.

Saturday, July 11:
Searchers look on horseback, ATVs, foot, and in water for DeOrr. They focus on a two and a half mile radius around the campground. One area of concern is a creek about 40 meters away from the campsite. The area is searched numerous times.

Sunday. July 12:
The Lemhi County Sheriff’s Office reports nearly 200 volunteers show up to look for DeOrr. His grandmother (JM’s mother) tells EastIdahoNews it appears the two-year-old “just vanished.” Volunteer search efforts are suspended but deputies say trained professionals will continue to look for the boy.

Monday, July 13:
TV interview, Deorr’s parents explain what happened the previous Friday afternoon. They say they no longer believe he’s lost but think someone may have abducted their son and make a plea for his safe return.
That evening around 200 people gather in Idaho Falls for a candlelight vigil.

Tuesday and Wednesday, July 14 & 15:
Search efforts continue near the campground. Dive crews focus on the Stone Reservoir located about a quarter of a mile from where the family was camping. Deorr’s parents remain camped near the site as deputies search the creek once again and determine DeOrr is not there.

Thursday, July 16:
A representative from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children arrives in Leadore. Lemhi County Sheriff Lynn D. Bowerman posts an update on Facebook clarifying remarks on the search. National media are now covering the story.

Friday, July 17:
The Bonneville County Sheriff’s dive team is called in to help search the reservoir. Divers use a sonar robot to assist in foggy waters. Crews on horseback return to the hills near the campground.

Saturday, July 18:
It’s Deorr’s father’s birthday. He spends the day camped yards away from where his son disappeared. Sheriff searches continue.

Sunday, July 19:
It’s been 10 days since DeOrr was last seen and the campground has been searched a dozen times; still search the Stone Reservoir and the creek. No evidence has been found to “where” DeOrr may be.

Quotes from Monday, July 20th - http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/20...idaho-toddler/
What happened during the 20 to 45 minutes the child was alone is a mystery to authorities, said Bowerman, who noted "all possibilities" are being investigated.

"I don't look at them as suspects at this point in time," the sheriff noted.

Bowerman, however, said he's not convinced of an abduction, noting that no other campers were seen or heard in the area at the time of the disappearance.

"We don't have any evidence that somebody kidnapped this child," he said.

"We've literally torn that country apart and found absolutely not one clue." - Lemhi County Sheriff Lynn Bowerman
Lemhi County sheriff's officials said via their Facebook page, "After 10 days of searching, diving, and scouring the hillsides, the Sheriff's Office has decided to redirect the investigation."

Quotes from Tuesday, July 21st - http://www.localnews8.com/news/new-d...nz-jr/34281340
Sheriff Bowerman also confirmed that drones are being brought to the Timber Creek/ Stone Reservoir area but doesn't believe they will be used in the search. Instead the drones will be used to document the area for evidence if a trial in connection to DeOrr's disappearance is ever convened.

The sheriff also stated that at this time he does not consider the parents to be suspects in the child's disappearance. He confirmed they did take a polygraph test but didn't know when or if the results of the test would be released to the public.

Sheriff Bowerman also confirmed that drones are being brought to the Timber Creek/ Stone Reservoir area but doesn't believe they will be used in the search. Instead the drones will be used to document the area for evidence if a trial in connection to DeOrr's disappearance is ever convened.

More Quotes from Tuesday, July 21st – http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local...port/30466883/
Despite intense efforts by searchers with tracking dogs on the ground and divers in the water, investigators have found no trace of the toddler, who disappeared during a family camping trip on July 10.

After more than a week of searching Stone Reservoir, Penner said he feels confident that they will not find the boy there, but says they still plan to keep checking it daily.

Detectives have re-interviewed everyone who was in the Stone Reservoir and Timber Creek areas the day DeOrr went missing. In addition to Twin Falls County, the Bonneville County Sheriff's Office has also been asked to help with the investigation.

Friday. July 24th - http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local...race/30624055/
Lemhi County Sheriff Lynn Bowerman says the department has not ruled out foul play.

Sunday, July 26th - Twin Falls County deputies are headed to Lemhi County to help in the search for a missing toddler. Deputies are helping to look for 2 year old toddler DeOrr Kunz Jr., who went missing while camping with family near Salmon, Idaho. Twin Falls County Sheriff Tom Carter sent Chief Deputy Don Newman, Lt. Daron Brown, Sgt. Dave Benefiel, and Deputy Jake Benson. They left last Wednesday, and took with them two drones, a Razor, and two 4-wheelers to use in the search. (source: https://www.facebook.com/twinfallssheriff)

Monday, July 27th - The Twin Falls County Sheriff's Office is assisting with our high tech drone technology as there is difficult terrain in this area that is virtually impossible to access by foot. The Lemhi County Sheriffs Office requested our assistance with their search efforts. We value the opportunity to serve the community where we live, and hope that we are able to provide the assistance that will help bring this search to an end. We like so many others pray for a positive outcome. We will keep you up to date. To answer a previous question, yes our guys left last Wednesday. We will let you all know how things turn out with regard to our involvement in this search. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers! (source: https://www.facebook.com/twinfallssheriff)

Friday, July 31st - Lemhi County Sheriff Lynn Bowerman says he's convinced an Idaho toddler missing for three weeks was not abducted. . . Bowerman said he's unable to rule out the possibility. The sheriff also said on Friday that the FBI is sending a team of investigators to assist the Lemhi County Sheriff's office who will be checking the sheriff's office interviews and may re-interview some people to make sure deputies didn't miss anything. (Source: http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/DeOrr-Kunz-Missing-Idaho-320303121.html) DeOrr’s parents confirm they have been in contact with the FBI and, according to Kunz, investigators have searched their house and vehicles. But no date listed for this search (Source: http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/07/parents-of-deorr-kunz-we-pray-our-lil-man-will-be-found/)

Sunday, August 2nd - SALMON, Idaho -- The FBI is now involved in the search for a missing eastern Idaho toddler, according to the boy's grandfather. . . DeOrr Kunz, who shares a name with his missing grandson, tells KTVB that FBI agents have been in contact with family members and are now helping investigators search for the two-year-old. . . Sunday, family and friends were back searching near the campsite where the toddler went missing on July 10. (source: http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/loca...olved-in-search-for-missing-toddler/31038001/)

Monday, August 10 – One month mark of the search DeOrr Kunz Jr.: LEADORE, Idaho – Lemhi County Sheriff’s Office has been assisted by the FBI over the past month to find 2-year-old DeOrr Kunz, Jr. Dogs, divers, searchers on foot, drones and a heat-seeking helicopter are just a few of the resources being used in this search… These have been efforts to bring in another volunteer search, but locals in Leadore believe search time needs to be spent somewhere else. As of right now the Lemhi County Sheriff’s Office will continue with search plans assisted by the FBI. (source: http://m.localnews8.com/news/onemonth-mark-of-the-search-for-deorr-kunz-jr/34638970)

Tuesday, August 11 – IDAHO FALLS – A national phone hotline has been set up to receive tips in connection to the disappearance of Idaho Falls toddler DeOrr Kunz, Jr…. Frank Vilt, a former U.S. Marshal and private investigator working with the family tells EastIdahoNews.com that the public cal call 1-888-852-6505 and submit tips regarding the case. (source: http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/08/national-hotline-set-up-for-tips-on-deorr-kunz-disappearance/)

Tuesday, August 11 - Sheriff: Evidence for missing toddler DeOrr Kunz turned over to FBI
By KBOI Web Staff Published: Aug 11, 2015

"Bowerman said Tuesday that everything has been turned over to the FBI, which includes interviews, recordings and physical evidence. The FBI told the Lemhi County Sheriff's Office that it could be at least six weeks before it receives any information back from federal investigators." (source: http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/DeOr...321484631.html)

Above timeline from: http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/07/deorr-kunz-disappearance-a-timeline-of-events/
For 911 call and parents interview see: http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/07/heartbroken-parents-of-missing-2-year-old-well-find-you-son/

Wow,you did alot of work Thank you

French fries are generally cooked in a fryer, though, which is a whole different, more elaborate set up from an oven.

Isn't that a small deep fryer underneath the.....gun?

The pics are also 3+ years old and we don't necessarily see everything in the kitchen area. He could have also been referring to baked fries/potato wedges/jo jos.....who knows.

Maybe the candy bar was with the groceries. I doubt Deorr would eat both at the same time.

Leadore is in Lemhi County. So when they say up in Lemhi, that includes Leadore.

I don't recall any articles or interviews that stated their time of arrival at the campsite. Their one interview was definitely lacking in pertinent questions ie: the EMT bag, sleeping arrangements, vehicles, GGF's name and on and on. Which has lead to endless speculation that their story has changed. Well, no it hasn't. We just haven't heard their story.

I don't recall a timeline from Day 1. Perhaps you could link one for me. The parents said they arrived at the campground on Friday afternoon following a stop at the store.

Makes sense about "up in Lemhi" then. I didn't think about the interview being in Idaho Falls, but obviously that is where the news station is located. I agree they could have bought both candy and french fries, but I just got the impression from the parents' interview that they gave Deorr the candy to quiet him down or something and that he was possibly already eating it. That certainly doesn't preclude them from also buying french fries. It just hasn't been mentioned, but neither has a lot of stuff, so it's probably nothing.

As for the timeline, here are some links:

[video=youtube;KJ5jneZnzws]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ5jneZnzws"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ5jneZnzws[/video]

http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/07/deorr-kunz-disappearance-a-timeline-of-events/

They are two registered sex offenders that live in a small town.
Both committed sexual crimes against children.
To me this doesn't make them just 2 people living near
other things in close proximity.
This should and in fact does cast some suspicion on them.
jmho
eta: iirc one of them (can't remember which one) committed a forcible act on a child 12 yrs of age or younger, not some kind of teenage in love w/an older guy type thing)

Female RSO convicted of 18-1508:

TITLE 18
CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
CHAPTER 15
CHILDREN AND VULNERABLE ADULTS
18-1508. LEWD CONDUCT WITH MINOR CHILD UNDER SIXTEEN. Any person who shall commit any lewd or lascivious act or acts upon or with the body or any part or member thereof of a minor child under the age of sixteen (16) years, including but not limited to, genital-genital contact, oral-genital contact, anal-genital contact, oral-anal contact, manual-anal contact, or manual-genital contact, whether between persons of the same or opposite sex, or who shall involve such minor child in any act of bestiality or sado-masochism as defined in section 18-1507, Idaho Code, when any of such acts are done with the intent of arousing, appealing to, or gratifying the lust or passions or sexual desires of such person, such minor child, or third party, shall be guilty of a felony and shall be imprisoned in the state prison for a term of not more than life.

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH15SECT18-1508.htm

More specifics on the charge made in Washington State.
RCW 9A.44.083
Child molestation in the first degree.
(1) A person is guilty of child molestation in the first degree when the person has, or knowingly causes another person under the age of eighteen to have, sexual contact with another who is less than twelve years old and not married to the perpetrator and the perpetrator is at least thirty-six months older than the victim.

(2) Child molestation in the first degree is a class A felony.

[1994 c 271 § 303; 1990 c 3 § 902; 1988 c 145 § 5.]

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.44.083

That video says very specifically that they traveled from home to the campground on Friday. So confusing...

PI: As an example, we're trying to find a lead at the Stage Stop. Uh, when they went into town, uh, the morning after they arrived to pick a few groceries up, they bought some french fries for Deorr Jr. and there was a man who was staring at this little boy. And this made Jessica feel kind of eerie that this old man was staring at the boy. That's unusual. But we haven't found who this person is yet.

So, now they were at the Stage Stop the morning after they arrived and were buying french fries and not candy? This contradicts everything we've been told: their date of arrival at the campground, the timing of their trip to the store, and also what they bought for Deorr (french fries instead of candy). The other thing that is very strange is that they keep saying Lemhi, when I think they mean Leadore. There is a town called Lemhi but the Stage Stop is in Leadore. Lemhi is up the road about 18 miles from Leadore. They keep saying, "up in Lemhi" so maybe they did go to Lemhi? From the campground, I would say they went "down" to Leadore, not up. I am so confused and I really don't understand why the timeline is totally different from what has been released from day 1.

Not to mention, if he's trying to throw suspicion on the old man RSO, it shouldn't be too hard to show JM a photo lineup to determine if he was the one staring at DeOrr. JMO

French fries are generally cooked in a fryer, though, which is a whole different, more elaborate set up from an oven.

Unless they're the microwave or frozen kind. Most kids aren't too picky. It will be very interesting to see where they bought his fries and if they also bought him candy and if he was filthy and bawling and what time it was...

Isn't that a small deep fryer underneath the.....gun?

The pics are also 3+ years old and we don't necessarily see everything in the kitchen area. He could have also been referring to baked fries/potato wedges/jo jos.....who knows.

I read on someone's travel blog where they mentioned getting fries and a burger there. Since it is just a blog, I won't link it, but in my experience many rural convenience stores have burgers, hotdogs, fries, etc.

The parents interview was on Monday. In their interview they discussed the rumor of a gentleman and a young boy matching their description of their son who was filthy and bawling buying candy at 6 pm in a black truck. They said they went to the store earlier that day as a family and hadn't left the campground since 1 pm (so it couldn't be them at 6 pm). They did not confirm they bought candy - just that they went to get some things (I know TBC said they bought candy for Jr and ggf). They did not confirm Deorr Jr was filthy or bawling. They stated the problem was Deorr sr drives a black truck. They did not mention French fries. They did not mention a man staring at Jr and that Jessica thought it was eerie.

And I still want to know where the light blue 80's-90's Chevy/GMC came from that Jessica's sister wanted everyone to look out for because her nephew had been abducted.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

That video says very specifically that they traveled from home to the campground on Friday. So confusing...
Which video and who is saying it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I think that is what has caused much of the suspicion. The interview contained virtually no information. I keep meaning to go through and highlight any actual facts, but I keep getting sidelined. It was either accidentally or by design a masterful demonstration of talking without saying anything - not what I would expect from a family trying to clear up rumors and get the public to help them find their kidnapped son. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melavista21